Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:35:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Hellgate: London Really a MMORPG 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hellgate: London Really a MMORPG  (Read 32062 times)
ForumBot 0.8 beta
Terracotta Army

on: January 09, 2007, 10:01:35 AM

Hellgate: London Really a MMORPG

Hellgate: London should be on shelves this summer.  However, read and despair, Diablo 2 fans, at some stuff I stole from GameSpot.

Roper explained that the cool thing about Hellgate: London is that you can play it as a single-player game, but there will also be an option to turn it into a subscription-based multiplayer game if you want to play with others and enjoy lots of new content.

It's like when you take that hot chick from the bar up to your room, then she asks you if you can "talk business".
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 10:41:29 AM

I feel like I should be pointing and laughing, but I'm not sure at whom.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 11:20:24 AM

Asked if he felt good that Hellgate's release is on the horizon, he explained that Flagship won't have much time to rest because the company plans to create a steady stream of new content for subscribers in the form of monthly and quarterly updates to the game.
Well, at least they wouldn't be turning our free online multiplayer into subscription-fee multiplayer just to sit on the money. 

Thanks loads, Phantasy Star Online/Universe, for showing the way.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 11:22:03 AM

I'd really like to know more details about the multiplayer setup, since that's the biggest piece of news, for me, to come out about this product.

I'm not sure I would pick this game up if it had a monthly fee.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 12:40:40 PM

The pay-only content is troubling. I was already getting a bad vibe from Hellgate, it looked like very old-school fps (a bad thing in my book, I like the 'new school' tactical way), with hordes of enemies pouring at you as you back up through the level. Maybe that's hot for the diablo kids, but it's tired for fps.

And rpg? "Hey mister, a demon stole my prosthetic leg!." Really? Who writes that tripe?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 01:15:44 PM

And rpg? "Hey mister, a demon stole my prosthetic leg!." Really? Who writes that tripe?

That was pretty funny, if you ask me, mostly because he was a real bastard and I often wished they had taken more than his leg.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 01:21:23 PM

I'm not that surprised.  Battle.Net looked to be going this way some time ago then that all quieted down.  Apparently because the people pushing that idea moved on to start their own company.

It looks like a great alternate revenue stream but what it really does is limit participation.  There is no way in hell I am paying for a game connectivity portal for an FPS.  Maybe if the games were actually hosted on their servers so that I had guaranteed latency and responsiveness I could see paying out some cash.  But not for a matching service which is what this looks like to me.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 01:30:42 PM

They've been hinting at MMORPG content for about 4 months. But like this? Pay to play content on their server? This is not what was hinted at.

I can't be mad though. I still want a massive piece of that if they don't fuck up the item system.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 01:38:31 PM

I can't be mad though. I still want a massive piece of that if they don't fuck up the item system.
I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 01:51:25 PM

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.
I am Jack's giant chunk of Diablo love.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 02:20:50 PM

To be perfectly honest, I'm not surprised.

One thing they brought up in the Flagship podcast a while back (June/July of last year) was a fan asked about alternate revenue models to keep content going after the game had shipped, and they said they had definitely not ruled that out just yet.

I'm so used to paying for MMOs anyways, so if this is any good, I have no problems paying for it.

I've played it two E3s in a row, and I loved it  both times. If it continues to deliver, I'm a happy man, and would be willing to throw down cash.

I'm interested in what sort of content they'll add to support this, though.

If there's raiding, I will stab someone.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 02:44:09 PM

I actually look forward to a "40 vs. 1 big mofo" type encounter if it was in an FPS.  It didn't sound like there were healers or anything in this game, and that it was being designed around a single person powerhouse.  So, we'll see what happens, but I played it at both E3s as well and so far haven't seen anything super magical yet that makes me want to crap my pants and play it.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 03:21:58 PM

They've been hinting at MMORPG content for about 4 months. But like this? Pay to play content on their server? This is not what was hinted at.

Ah, there he is.

HA HA!

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 06:54:20 PM

Linky
Speaking to Shacknews at CES in Las Vegas, CEO Bill Roper noted that the game is a full scale massively multiplayer game, with genre trappings such as guilds, continually developed content, a full social system, and raid-type gameplay.

Drawing similarities to ArenaNet's Guild Wars, the Hellgate MMO is heavily instanced. Group and solo PvE is the game's main focus; PvP will exist in a small scale form, but is not a major element of the initial launch.

I'm only a messenger... I'm sure Schild will take a blade for the game though  :-D
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 06:56:23 PM

What?

Raaaaaaaaaaids?

Man, fuck them.
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 07:43:09 PM

Ah, there he is.

HA HA!

But they've said there's raiding.

So...

Ah, there he isn't.

HA HA!
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 07:43:28 PM

Whoa, wtf. stealth merge for the schild lose.

++
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 07:46:11 PM

I'd probably still play it just because raids done first person shooter with dual-wielded customizable pistols are probably more enjoyable than the alternative.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 08:13:59 PM

Drawing similarities to ArenaNet's Guild Wars, the Hellgate MMO is heavily instanced.

Hmm, y'know, I think I can probably think of one or two dissimilarities I could draw here, too (here's a hint: it starts with the letter "$").

Look, I know it's fun and all to grab me by the ankles shake me until money comes out, but KNOCK IT OFF ALREADY.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 08:15:18 PM

I'd probably still play it just because raids done first person shooter with dual-wielded customizable pistols are probably more enjoyable than the alternative.

But not as enjoyable as completely avoiding it entirely.
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 09:16:19 PM

I actually look forward to a "40 vs. 1 big mofo" type encounter if it was in an FPS.  It didn't sound like there were healers or anything in this game, and that it was being designed around a single person powerhouse.  So, we'll see what happens, but I played it at both E3s as well and so far haven't seen anything super magical yet that makes me want to crap my pants and play it.

Yeah I can imagine the fantastic gameplay already. 10 guys to shoot the knee so that the next 10 guys can shoot the arm so that next 10 guys can shoot the chest so the next 9 guys can crack the head armor, so one guy goes for the kill, all while circling strafing and avoiding slack-jawed low-brow team killing 'tards.  But maybe that's too cynical.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 01:33:08 AM

I was fully willing to dish a monthly fee for D2 had it meant keeping out the fucking riff-raff.  If they can replicate the D2 ding-gratz luv then I'm there.
Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 01:37:09 AM

This is terrible news.  I was really looking forward to a FPS Diablo but it looks like this is going to be a pay to play expanded GW. 

And raiding?  /puke

PSN: Happy_Hedonist, SteamID: Happy Hedonist
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 06:04:54 AM

Looks like the smart people stayed at Blizzard after all.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 08:24:58 AM

So... can I play the "single-player" mode co-op with a friend over a LAN and avoid paying the extra content?

I'm interested in the game for a fun little thing to do with friends occassionally.  What I am not interested in is a subscription based service when plenty of other games are going to hold most of my attention.  Nor do I care to play this only by myself.

I'll wait and see, but it looks like I shall be passing on this one afterall.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 09:00:04 AM

Looks like the smart people stayed at Blizzard after all.

Well, the smart marketing people anyway.

I have doubts that there would be this much fuss if HG:L had started out being described as "Planetside crossed with Diablo"

This raises the bar the team need to reach to justify the cost, that's all.

Based on the fact that most us have been willing to pay $15 a month to use auto attack to smash a million identical foozles at some point, that bar is still pretty damn low. All the wailing and gnashing of teeth seems a mite overdone.

Now open up, wallets!

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 10, 2007, 09:04:13 AM

Having seen the videos of all the demos floating around, I'm amazed anyone is still interested in this.  It looks total boaby.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #27 on: January 10, 2007, 09:23:10 AM

My Scots-English dictionary doesn't have "boaby" in it.  But I think I agree.

(edit) Urban Dictionary informs me that this means penis.

Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 10, 2007, 10:01:47 AM

DAMMIT.

If they make raid things where we have to clear 'trash' to get to 'bosses', and only the raid bosses drop the best stuff in the game, I'm gonna cry.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: January 10, 2007, 10:10:35 AM

Didn't Myst:URU sorta show that this concept sucked major ass? I dunno if I'll pick up the game now.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #30 on: January 10, 2007, 10:18:24 AM

I can't believe even Ironwood said "boaby."

Ick.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 10, 2007, 10:58:40 AM

I think a better concept that would work for this game is to have multiple dungeon paths where smaller teams of a larger group go through and clear out the mobs as they make their way through to a final boss.  Could be fun.

Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: January 10, 2007, 04:26:52 PM

It may not be an MMO after all, as Bill may have been misquoted. The HG:L CM Ivan did a short interview:

Scaper-X
You folks are the talk of the internet.

Ivan
Lots of hubbub over some Bill quote or misquote. I haven't even been able to follow up on just what he said yet. The directors still have not finalized what exactly our online component will be. So Moses didn't have the good lord blast a $500 a month price tag into stone or whatever.

Scaper-X
The phrase being quoted most of all is, "I think that just as Diablo and Diablo II started this religious argument over whether they're RPGs or not, I think that Hellgate willspark that same debate over whether it's an MMO or not."

Ivan
Well, that quote is more about the content. Since we're instance based and revolve predominantly on party gameplay and we're not technically a persistent state game. EA contacted Shack news? What'd they say?

Scaper-X
"Update: Since posting our original news item on the matter, Shacknews has been contacted by Electronic Arts, which is co-publishing the game along with Namco Bandai. EA noted that there has not in fact been any final decision made as to Hellgate: London's online pricing model, be it subscription-based or otherwise. We respect this situation, while maintaining that have reported fairly on statements we received. A full interview is forthcoming."

Ivan
Yeah, we haven't made a final decision. Seriously, the directors debate about this quite a bit. Basically, we want to do ongoing content. We don't want it to be like Diablo where we had a patch and an expansion and that's that. We really want to do ongoing content. So the directors have to just figure out how the hell we're going to pay for that. Could be anything. Really.

Scaper-X
Are continuing expansion packs still on the table in lieu of monthly fees?

Ivan
Could be the bonus dvd does it or subscription or real money transactions or auctions or micro purchases or lots of smaller expansions. Could seriously be anything. Which is why they still debate some. So... Until the reach a decision, whatever that is, and then print it across the web in a release, it's all going to be speculation and misunderstandings and odd quotes

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: January 10, 2007, 05:05:09 PM

Surprise surprise.  So they don't really have any clue and haven't made a final decision.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #34 on: January 10, 2007, 06:32:20 PM

So... can I play the "single-player" mode co-op with a friend over a LAN and avoid paying the extra content?

I'm interested in the game for a fun little thing to do with friends occassionally.  What I am not interested in is a subscription based service when plenty of other games are going to hold most of my attention.  Nor do I care to play this only by myself.

I'll wait and see, but it looks like I shall be passing on this one afterall.

If they really are making it pay to play multiplayer (at least for online play), I'm willing to bet that they won't make it possible to run it on a LAN out of the box.  My money is on them cockblocking LAN play, then coming down on the first person to release a mod that allows it.  They'll have some clause in the EULA that prohibits all kinds of stuff, and it'll be one of the things that the modder does.  The EFF will take the side of the modder, and C Net and other tech news places will cover it for a few days.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Hellgate: London Really a MMORPG  
Jump to: