Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:29:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: So anyone else tried monster play yet? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So anyone else tried monster play yet?  (Read 14807 times)
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

on: December 29, 2006, 01:26:00 AM

From reading the forums you can be a warg a spider or a couple of types of Orc.  My main character is still 36 so tried the evil side from the npc in the west of Bree (you need to be level 10).

I picked an Orc archer, looks nice, the ui appears to have an evil skin on it, evil quest npcs are present, they have glowing red eyes above their heads instead of gold rings.  Picked up a few quests and messed around a bit but good aligned players appear to be in short supply as I didn't see any.  The zone is big.

Your evil character has trait slots etc a lot more detail than I expected, basic skills to start with that can be upgraded.  You start at level 50 so I'm expecting this to further cut down the number of good aligned characters, I had intended to hit level 40 and then try monster play on my Guardian but now I believe he won't be that effective without leveling up further and that's a pity.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 05:34:30 AM

It was alot of fun but still obviously a work in progress. I got some pvp in, too. Ran across some orcs as a spider while heading toward a good guy tower and we camped the shit out of some poor hobbits.

The run back times are way too long after death and I think there need to be a few more outlets. It also needs to be a little more obvious what you're supposed to be doing; I just sort of ran around randomly until I started smacking people.

There's alot of potential here, certainly alot more than I initially thought when I heard the idea. Just needs some tightening up.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 01:19:10 PM

I have access to boost my character to level 50 (some sorta special invite thingy).  I will probably give it a whirl next week; my time over the next few days is booked!  I am pretty excited to check out the high end areas.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 01:22:20 PM

Heh, just checked my email and I have one too.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 01:56:49 PM

I have access to boost my character to level 50 (some sorta special invite thingy).  I will probably give it a whirl next week; my time over the next few days is booked!  I am pretty excited to check out the high end areas.

Actually, that's pretty neccessary to get some pvp testing going so good show on that.  With the holidays I havent had a chance to try monster play yet, but if not players are on can you still do stuff to level up your Shelob?

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 02:06:54 PM

Actually, that's pretty neccessary to get some pvp testing going so good show on that.  With the holidays I havent had a chance to try monster play yet, but if not players are on can you still do stuff to level up your Shelob?

There are quests and whatnot to do.  Since the area is persistant + level 10 players can play as high end monsters I doubt there will be a problem finding people to fight.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 04:52:58 PM

It reminds me of daoc, they need a lot of work on the raid ui and taking a keep is very very hard due to the number of mobs.  We had a full raid of 24 level 50 good guys and lost when respawned monster players hit us from behind.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 07:33:00 AM

Holidays had me away from gaming almost completely.  I'll have to check this out.  I've wanted this since my UO days. 

This is the feature that will earn LotRO a substantial position in the market. IMO
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 02:48:57 AM

Capturing a keep was crashing the server, they fixed that during the update last night.  The monster play area appears to be designed for level 50's, I have a level 50 good character from the level up 50 quest but it's not the same as using your own.  Made level 40 on my normal character and entered the monster play area, nothing I can do there, can't get a single quest, mobs and monster players are too high level to hurt.  Not sure why the entry requirement is 40 it's pointless going there.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 02:38:39 PM

Holidays had me away from gaming almost completely.  I'll have to check this out.  I've wanted this since my UO days. 

This is the feature that will earn LotRO a substantial position in the market. IMO

Having played it for a while this week, it seems pretty good.

Short version, you can pick a Wolf, Spider, Orc Archer, Orc Reaver or Orc Leader.  Start with about 5 useable skills, and by completing quests you earn Destiny points which can be used to buy upgrades and unlock other monsters I think.  No crafting or equipment, but a fair number of "evil quests" that are repeatable to do for points.  Example, kill 10 hobbit farmers, 10 hobbit orchard workers, to earn ~125 DP  Get a pair of hobbit legs for some orc to eat, etc.  Some of the quests are clearly intended as raid triggers, and others have caveats like "do X and don't die" (you die onec you fail the quest).  Some of the quests appear to be for triggers for High level npc's to fight with you (if the text can be believed) an required a lot of farming.  Example, a boss spider in the zone wants you to gather 500! eagles feathers before it will assist you.

Did some 1-2 person pvp messing around no real victories or deaths as it seems pretty easy to escape to the safety of npc guards, which is one reason I think I'll stick with spider, for the web root skill (pun intended).  Spiders are a melee with DoT type class with a root, attack speed debuff an ability to "hide underground an regen immune from attack" that I hadn't used yet as their starting 5 skills.  The Urakhai (sp) that I tried was a melee'r with a shout, clear, attack speed group buff, single target heal (called crack the whip :) ) and a rez as it;s 5 starting skills.  Wolves are stealthers.

Going to try to get on tonight to see if can get some larger scale action going.
Now if you;ll excuse me, I have a river I need to go poison.

Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 08:41:12 AM

Man, that sounds fun.  I need to kick my WoW habit for a few nights and check it out.  Tonight sounds good.

That sounds exactly how I'd have liked to have seen this in other games.

Interesting problem though, what happens when everyone is playing a monster?  shocked
Xilren's Twin

Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 09:30:14 AM

Man, that sounds fun.  I need to kick my WoW habit for a few nights and check it out.  Tonight sounds good.

That sounds exactly how I'd have liked to have seen this in other games.

Interesting problem though, what happens when everyone is playing a monster?  shocked

Then you do the quests against the enemy NPC's all over the zone.  I've run into that a few time playing early mornings.  I have enough DP to start upgrading my monster, but its tought to decide what to use because there are a LOT of upgrade choices, from new skills, to stat type upgrades, regen boots, power boosts, new appearances, etc etc.  Not to mention the same Destiny Points can be used to buy Perks for your regular PC from the monster controller in Bree.

I also have a fair amount on money (almost 1 gold) but the only thing to spend it on thus far is potions, which i haven't really needed.

Interestingly, some of the evil quest NPC's exist in castles which are contestable.  So if yon orc leader gives me a quest and i do the steps needed, but the good guys take back the keep before i turn it in, I can't get the reward....until we take the castle back.

On the whole I think im enjoying the monster play more than standard PC play b/c it's DIFFERENT, and while their is no more levels to make, there's a whole new advancement tree.

Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 11:12:09 AM

On the whole I think im enjoying the monster play more than standard PC play b/c it's DIFFERENT, and while their is no more levels to make, there's a whole new advancement tree.

That is exactly why I think this one feature will put the game on the map.  Even if it comes out with bugs and exploits, it will create a buzz in the community and provide something *different*.

Instead of advancement, you're just working on being different from orc#223 and making a mark on your pathetic existence as a monster.  Get enough of you together and you can make an impact on those pesky humans.

Rather than just providing the same advancement engine that the good side has with uglier avatars, go a whole different route like you've described.  It is a good move and worth trying at least.  Hell, I'm always looking for alternative play outside the typical grind once inawhile.  Providing it in the same game, just on the other side is pure genius really.

Outside of this feature, the game I've seen so far is ok.  It is more of the same.  They need to "one up" everyone and this might be their ticket to ride.  I'm impressed they are even just attempting it.  I really do hope they have great success with it.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 06:11:24 AM

Ok, I spent about 45 minutes updating last night.  I logged in and then figured out quickly that I didn't know what I was doing for monster play.  I think I read you have to be lvl 40 first.  I'm lvl 8.  Is there a way to bypass this, because I'm not going to play to 40.

Also, is there a guild you guys are running and how do I join?  I've decided that playing solo/guildless as a newbie is entirely possible, but entirely boring as well.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 06:25:32 AM

Also, is there a guild you guys are running and how do I join?  I've decided that playing solo/guildless as a newbie is entirely possible, but entirely boring as well.
Yes, we have a kinship called Bat Country on both servers, though we're mostly inactive at the moment. Look at the character names sticky to see who is in it and you can always PM me if you see me on the forums and I can invite you if you really want to join.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 07:03:35 AM

Ok, I spent about 45 minutes updating last night.  I logged in and then figured out quickly that I didn't know what I was doing for monster play.  I think I read you have to be lvl 40 first.  I'm lvl 8.  Is there a way to bypass this, because I'm not going to play to 40.

Which server you?  If it's Arwen send an ingame mail to "Hurn" and I'll send you some gold.

You only need to be level 10 to enter monster play, go to the west side of Bree near the mud gate and look for an npc called "monster controller".

You need to be level 40 to enter as a good guy, level 10 lets you play as an Orc, warg, spider or uruk.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 07:25:43 AM

I'm on Brandywine right now.  I suppose that was a mistake, but I thought I'd have less lag going to the newer server.

I'll try to start up on Arwen and get in contact with people.  Doesn't look like there are very many people on Brandywine.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 07:32:59 AM

Well don't be jumping servers just for bat country, it's pretty dead, only about 6-7 people in it and as I play strange hours I rarely see anyone.  I left to join another kinship.  I'm not trying to put you off, just saying, if you don't mind leveling up again on Arwen I can send you more gold than you can spend.

Besides once you get into monster play there's generally a raid of people running around looking for members.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 07:36:56 AM

Yeah, reading further got me thinking I just need to get to 10 and try it out.  I'll actually just have to be social and find a new group to hang with.  Thanks for the information.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 03:45:02 AM

Played a bit as a Warg Leader, healer Uruk leader type.

All monsters start at level 50 but have very few abilities.

You get destiny points for completing quests with these you can buy combat skills, traits and different appearances for your character.

It's a bit grindy on the quests, some are well done like killing the Hobbit Mayor etc, in a few hours I managed to get my character about 20% complete.  You don't get armour or equipment.

The pvp is fun and I think the lack of real mage types actually helps prevent it turning into the standard ranged battle, sometimes it turns out like that but running battles and flanking are quite common.  Defending a keep is a sight to see, currently the free peoples have the advantage 1 on 1 but numbers (and it must be said) tactics appear to be on the side of evil.

In pvp you get infamy points which will eventually raise your rank (very grindy), higher rank allows yet more skill, trait options.  All in all it's quite well done and if they expand it further could be a real attraction for the game.  From reading the posts here you know I have played the heck out of the good side but playing a Human or Dwarf isn't a patch on playing a Uruk and slaughtering hobbits.

Edit to add, these impressions after another week of monster play.

I'm pretty much done with LOTRO, the pve side of the game is frailly good but I'm reluctant to level up to the 40's again just to be wiped again. 

The PVP is also fairly good but it's just not very complicated, think DAoC keep capture with less annoying magic.  My Warleader now has sig status and is rank 1 which means he's pretty much maxed out for advancement apart from pvp ranks.  Sadly the pvp ranks don't make that big a difference so the shortage of freeps during my play hours means rank 2 is a long grind away and I just can't be bothered.

There's going to be a shortage of monster players a few months after release if they don't add monster armour and weapons, can't see anyone sticking with the monster side for more than a couple of months as it is.

I'm not going to buy it but it was a lot better than I expected. 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 06:02:26 AM by Arthur_Parker »
Xilren's Twin

Reply #20 on: February 05, 2007, 09:17:05 AM

I'm not going to buy it but it was a lot better than I expected. 

I agree with that.  LotRO seems like it will be fine a either a brand new players first game, or more likely a "filler" game between WoW expansions or before the "next big thing".

It works, but it's ultimately not different enough from other games in the market to really draw huge interest from existing players.  Some neat things, but just not enough evolutionary let alone revolutionary gameplay changes.

Xilren

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 06, 2007, 09:31:53 PM

Tried monster play a little today.  I found the Fel Scrying Pool in Bree (Mud Gate area, southwest Bree), and that's where you go in.  Have to be level 10 in order to make a monster.

I just ran around a little on a spider and a wolf.  Didn't really do much, besides pick up a bunch of quests and stumble around.  Nobody can get over level 15 right now, so there are no good players out there.

I'm impressed with the idea.  Can't quite figure out why a level 50 player would rather play as their player than as a monster.  Clue me in someone please?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #22 on: April 07, 2007, 08:57:41 AM

I'd wager phat lewtz?
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #23 on: April 08, 2007, 10:22:18 PM

Tried monster play a little today.  I found the Fel Scrying Pool in Bree (Mud Gate area, southwest Bree), and that's where you go in.  Have to be level 10 in order to make a monster.

I just ran around a little on a spider and a wolf.  Didn't really do much, besides pick up a bunch of quests and stumble around.  Nobody can get over level 15 right now, so there are no good players out there.

I'm impressed with the idea.  Can't quite figure out why a level 50 player would rather play as their player than as a monster.  Clue me in someone please?

Phat loot.  Players have the advantage of monsters; monsters make up for it by having more numbers.  It is also something different and another meta game thingy for people to chew at.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 09, 2007, 01:43:41 PM

I think it's a really neat idea.  I'm looking forward to the battles, once people are up to that level and there's actually pvp going on.
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 09, 2007, 09:31:52 PM

The dynamic seems to be different than most MMOs, as the monster-players ("Creeps") are deliberately somewhat to much weaker than max-level PCs ("Freeps", for "Free Peoples"), so they need numerical and/or tactical advantages.

Of course, this results in a never-ending stream of "creeps are too weak!" on the message boards...

While waiting for full release and appropriate-level PC opponents, you can go around dismembering Hobbits and elves, which can be oddly relaxing.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #26 on: April 10, 2007, 06:24:59 AM

What the hell am I doing here?

I don't belong here.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #27 on: April 10, 2007, 06:57:55 AM

The dynamic seems to be different than most MMOs, as the monster-players ("Creeps") are deliberately somewhat to much weaker than max-level PCs ("Freeps", for "Free Peoples"), so they need numerical and/or tactical advantages.
On the plus side this will be very easy to balance unlike any other MMO, you can simply keep buffing the monsters to be in line with the good guys.  Since this doesn't affect class balance between guardians/burglars etc there will be far far less whining.  And remember that you can spend thousands of destiny points to buff your monster along with buying items that can track humans and such.
WayAbvPar

Reply #28 on: April 11, 2007, 10:25:18 AM

What the hell am I doing here?

I don't belong here.

You must be a creep.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #29 on: April 11, 2007, 01:51:27 PM

There is no popcap right? So how do the monster "make up for it by having more numbers?"  The numbers are determined be who decides to go there. And if the freeps out number and are stronger, that doesn't particularly fun.

"Me am play gods"
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #30 on: April 11, 2007, 06:40:14 PM

There is no popcap right? So how do the monster "make up for it by having more numbers?"  The numbers are determined be who decides to go there. And if the freeps out number and are stronger, that doesn't particularly fun.

You have to be near max level to freep it; like most games that will be a small percentage of active players.  I think it is ingenuous and a wonderful way to allow more casual players to enjoy high end content without taking away from the hardcore achievers.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 25, 2007, 04:09:35 PM

Played in a group of creeps vs. a group of freeps.  About even numbers and man, did they kick our asses but good.

Fun though.  My little warg has pretty pathetic output against a 50 anything.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #32 on: June 25, 2007, 12:30:45 AM

Played with my lev. 49 Champs yesterday against the Creeps trying to take back lumber mill for our resource farrming needs.
I must say this thing it's engaging, addictive. Battlelines constantly charging, flanking, rooting. It's more thant it seems at first, it smells of real war.
If they they are giving it some more love as they promised in the next few months then I must say it can become really really interesting.

Not sure why, but looks to me like it's way more fun with your char than with a Creep/monster. Probably because you are more emotionally attached to the Freep than to the Creep and death as a Freep feels much more like a big deal.

Surprisingly fun. The kind f fun I missed in my first trial runs in the Ettenmoor with my Uruk Blackarrow (Luckily there's plenty of Players who feel differently, giving my champ tons of Creeps to slay).

gravdiggr
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 26, 2007, 09:43:33 AM

It's only fun on the players side. You just cannot develop a pvp system where a side needs to have more numbers to compensate the strength of the units on the other side. There's a limit to how much you can get killed and keep wanting to come back in pvp when you know you have no chance.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #34 on: June 26, 2007, 09:54:13 AM

It's only fun on the players side. You just cannot develop a pvp system where a side needs to have more numbers to compensate the strength of the units on the other side.

Why not? And by the way, as long as I agree (and agreed) on the fact that it feels much more fun with your char than with the monster, the factor is not the difference is strength. Maybe it's because I am on an overpopulated server, but we are having some huge battles and wars and basically monsters wins the most of it.

It's not an ambitious PvP the LotRO one. It's just plain fun. It probably has short legs, and that's why I am hoping some a smart dev can see the potential and gives it much much love in the immediate future.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: So anyone else tried monster play yet?  
Jump to: