Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 01:39:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Booze. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Booze.  (Read 86325 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

on: December 19, 2006, 09:16:31 AM

I know this discussion came up somewhen else, but hey. It's fun to talk about booze.

I've got a buddy who gets me a bottle every year, and I want to return the favor. I was thinking of scotch, since it's something we don't normall drink. What's good stuff? I won't be buying that $130 stuff, but $60 is probably reasonable.

He got me some Patron tequila last year, which isn't too bad. Anyone know good tequilas?

This year I got some Bushmill single malt Irish whisky. Pretty smooth.

I like spiced rum! The best I've had is Cpt Morgan's high end rum, but it's not real high end though it's smooth as hell.

I also dig Courvoisier XO cognac, though I can't afford it. VSOP isn't bad and great to cook with.

I'll open this up to any good, high-quality suggestions, though I'm especially interested in scotch for gifting.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 09:41:06 AM

I'd go for a bottle of high end Wild Turkey.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 09:41:35 AM

I'm not much of a scotch drinker myself, but multiple friends have recommended Glenfiddich, which is available in reserves ranging from 8 to 30 years.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 09:51:11 AM

I tend to drink Glenmorangie when I want to drink something really good.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 09:55:06 AM

Room temperature Fiji water!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 10:04:38 AM

I'm about to go buy two decent bottles of port as christmas gifts for my sisters. 

I'm not sure where port ranks on the 'manly' scale.  Well below scotch, but I can't stand scotch.  I do like port though.  And I prefer hard cider to most beers.  Maybe I'll pick up some Woodchuck Dark and Dry while I'm at the store.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 10:17:05 AM

This thread is great.  I know nothing about scotch and need to pick up a decent bottle by Thursday.  I need something that a connoisseur would like, maybe around $50.  I am making a list of your suggestions, thank you!

Also, are older scotches generally considered better then newer?  I am a scotch nooblet.

edit.  Noob question added.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 10:28:54 AM by Cheddar »

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 10:26:08 AM

I'd suggest making something of your own to give next year, but best I could find you is the gear for making liqueurs or wine or beer. 

Given that, I think that Johnny Walker Blue Label is quite awesome, but it's also a shitload/bottle.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
WayAbvPar

Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 10:44:18 AM

I'm about to go buy two decent bottles of port as christmas gifts for my sisters. 

I'm not sure where port ranks on the 'manly' scale.  Well below scotch, but I can't stand scotch.  I do like port though.  And I prefer hard cider to most beers.  Maybe I'll pick up some Woodchuck Dark and Dry while I'm at the store.

Port is awesome. I used to drink a lot of cider, but eventually gave it up- it gives me postively paralyzing hangovers.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 10:48:02 AM

I bought a hundred dollar(Canadian, around $75 US) bottle of Scotch once assuming it would taste better than the typical Glenfiddich I normally buy.  I could not drink the stuff, I could actually taste the peat moss it mentioned in the description.  I think Scotch might be one of those things where you have to graduate from one level to the next, the nuances and differences were lost on me.  I gave it to a friend who has been drinking Scotch for decades and he loved it.  I don't know about the U.S. but in some of the higher end bars around here you can order Scotch by brand, you might want to try a single shot of an expensive Scotch before buying a whole bottle.

But that was just my one experience, YMMV.

Cognac gives me a sharp headache.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 11:51:10 AM

If your willing to pop 50-60 bucks I'd go with Lagavulin 16-year old for an Islay (my personal choice) or an Oban 14-year old if you want a Highland.

And port is plenty manly.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 11:59:56 AM

If your willing to pop 50-60 bucks I'd go with Lagavulin 16-year old for an Islay (my personal choice) or an Oban 14-year old if you want a Highland.

I am limited in time, so will need to pick it up at a local ABC store.  Here is a list of Scotch availible:

www.abc.state.va.us/Pricelist/SCOTCH_WHISKEY.html

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I just got word that we need to celebrate with the person whom I am getting the scotch for on Thursday.  That means I have to figure out which one to get today.  Doh. 

Help!!!!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 12:16:51 PM

Not a hijack at all. Where the heck is Ironwood? :P
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 12:22:15 PM

If you/he are not experienced Scotch drinkers, I would suggest Johnny Walker Black.  Good taste, easy to drink.  AVOID Red, but it seems below your price range anyway.  Upgrade to Green/Gold label if you want to fork the cash for them.  I enjoy Glenfiddich and it's another decent starter Scotch.  I've seen Dalmore recommended, but I personally don't care for it.  Famouse Grouse is ok, but probably below your price range.  I dislike J&B, and would advise against.  Avoid McClelland's for the gift - I've had Speyside and it's good as far as the cheap stuff goes, but you're not looking for that.

In most cases, if you can upgrade to older or reserve scotches, you can taste the difference.  If you are unsure about what to get you may want to go with a blended scotch (partly why I recommend JW Black) because they tend to be easier to drink.  I personally prefer single malts in spite of that, because of their character.  I'd recommend Glenfiddich if you're wanting a single.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 12:42:43 PM

Is your buddy a 'scotch person'?  That affects what to buy.

If they're not a scotch person - then suggestions like Johnny Walker Black (definately avoid red), Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie are all good.  All good quality, not too strong a taste scotches.
If they are a scotch fan - I suggest something with a stronger peatier taste - my personal favourite is Talisker, Oban is also good.  Heard good things about Laphroaig, but never had it myself.

Looks like they are all on that list - so all gettable.  Happy drinking!
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 12:50:53 PM

I know nothing of Scotch, luckily the person who sits next to me at work is a member of the Scotch drinkers association of America or some such odd organization.

He suggests the Aberlour 15 year old.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 07:01:05 PM

Not a hijack at all. Where the heck is Ironwood? :P

Cursing out all the damn Americans thinking the know Scotch, is my guess.  Damn psudo-English.  evil

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 07:11:42 PM

Cursing out all the damn Americans thinking the know Scotch, is my guess.  Damn psudo-English.  evil

Really interesting scotches don't get exported that much (at least to the states), or to many outlets.  You can often find them online but it's usually expensive to ship.  He could probably show us up with an impressive list even if he doesn't drink the stuff, but that doesn't make it any easier to get over here :( 

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 04:15:51 AM

This is a personal taste thing.  Seriously.  Everyone has one that they like no matter what and some that they cannot stand, no matter the expense.  My own personal Brand, after many, many, many, many trips to my brothers house in Elgin and crawls through the local pubs is Highland Park.  The older the better.  Indeed, if you bought me anything other than :

005230 Highland Park Single Cask 31 Yr Old 750ml  90.6 $437.50

The chances are I may not thank you for it.  My brother loves the Jura peaty stuff, but to me it tastes of seaweed and driftwood.  He agrees, but he likes it.  I have also found that two of the women in my life also enjoy the peaty/island stuff that puts me off, so maybe women have differing tastes than men.

Johnnie Walker is nice and made in the town where I grew up, so there's some mileage there, if not a lot of class.  Avoid the Lagavulin and Laphroaig - it's not for beginners.  Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich and Glenlivit are good starters for 10, but I'd STILL reccomend a nice bottle of 12 year old Highland Park every time.

Go for something nice and 12-18 year old to start and don't be surprised if you visit the guys house a year later to find that there's a single shot missing in an otherwise untouched bottle.

Of course, there are days when I'll drink anything.

Edited to add :  Yeah, the Aberlour is nice stuff.  It's not my favourite, but it warms you up on a cold night.  Also, bear in mind that the higher you go, the more options that you have to think about.  I got a nice bottle once that tasted wildly different due to Sherry Casking.  Damn, that bottle went really fucking quick.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 04:20:53 AM by Ironwood »

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 04:23:36 AM

I find it odd tha tI'm the only person here that seems to like Glendronach. Or at least like it enough to mention it. If I could afford it, I'd buy a bottle of their 33 year old stuff tomorrow and finish it by Monday. Hell, I'd drink it at work.
Scadente
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 20, 2006, 04:26:41 AM

I'm not much of a Scotch guy. But you mentioned rum.

Capt. Morgan is pretty poor imho. You should check out Mt. Gay Rum, very smooth and not too sweet. Round and nice taste, the best I've had so far :)

So the kids on the internet say that you're a big noise?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 20, 2006, 04:30:59 AM

Honestly, I'd never heard of that one, Schild.  They list 'Victorian Values' on the website, so I guess I'm sold !!!!

(Seriously, I think I'll consult my brother.  Could be interesting to try one night.)

Anyway, I really, really, really reccomend "Raw Spirit" by Iain Banks if you want a real lighthearted and fun look at this kinda thing.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #22 on: December 20, 2006, 05:14:25 AM

IMO, the best drinks in the world are white russians, chocolate martinis, and Malbec wine. Probably makes me less "manly". I don't know.

I don't shoot for the pure taste of Vodka (just transparency), so that leaves me with slightly less expensive tastes.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #23 on: December 20, 2006, 05:27:57 AM

Many of the Scotch whisky brands sold outside Scotland are not sold in Scotland. I'm originally from Edinburgh (emigrated to Australia) and the stuff in duty free shops is often good for a laugh. There's a reason the Scots export it instead of drinking it.

Of the better known brands, blended Scotch like Famous Grouse is your general drinking whisky. But most of the awful firewater brands the Scots have never heard of are blended whiskies. Then again, my cousins who grow barley for their local distillery in Fife drink a random blend captured on the sly from the distillery's run-off tap :)

Single malt Scotch like Glenmorangie is where the connoisseur action starts. Glenmorangie is interesting because it's relatively mass market for a single malt range. The slogan "handcrafted by the sixteen men of Tain" makes me want to drink it. But it's not that great.

Glenfiddich is the most overrated, low-end single malt. It's far too mass produced and sorry Ironwood, but I feel the same about Johnnie Walker Black Label (a blend). Drinking a more expensive whisky is supposed to be an experience, and both Glenfiddich and Johnnie Walker are kind of boring.

I had never heard of Glendronach either, but it's a Speyside single malt, which can't be bad, although I don't really like the nearby Glenlivet. Been there. As far as I'm concerned, the further north in Scotland, the more chance it has of being interesting. That's how I feel about of Scotland itself, actually (sorry again Ironwood).

My last purchase was a bottle of Scapa from Orkney. Been there, too. Second-most northerly distillery in Scotland. It's great. But like Ironwood said, it's a personal taste thing.

Quote from: Cheddar
Also, are older scotches generally considered better then newer?  I am a scotch nooblet.

The older the Scotch, the more religious an experience it becomes. Imagine you were the first to find the wreck of the Titanic and looted a perfectly preserved bottle of expensive liquor from the first class dining room. You open it at midnight in the dark, and it is perfectly drinkable and stunning. That's how old Scotch is supposed to be: a refined, ethereal, powerful, rare thing. But some of it is just Glenfiddich that got old.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 05:32:31 AM by Tale »
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #24 on: December 20, 2006, 06:08:56 AM

I don't like scotch, but my dad's preferred brand is Glenlivet, aged about 15 years.  That goes for about $50.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #25 on: December 20, 2006, 06:12:34 AM

I've always been partial to Macallan's.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #26 on: December 20, 2006, 06:16:04 AM

If you really want to put some hair on your chest drink some "cask strength" scotch without adding any extra water.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 20, 2006, 06:24:04 AM

I'm confused at the apologies for stuff that you're right about and that I've said myself.

undecided

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 20, 2006, 06:55:59 AM

Capt. Morgan is pretty poor imho. You should check out Mt. Gay Rum, very smooth and not too sweet. Round and nice taste, the best I've had so far :)
We drink the private stock or whatever they call their cork bottle, it's not bad. The regular stuff is for mixing, bottom shelf. I'd call the cork bottle middle shelf. I really dig the vanilla tones of the spiced stuff.
I don't shoot for the pure taste of Vodka (just transparency), so that leaves me with slightly less expensive tastes.
I don't judge manliness by alcohol :) Too many years sending poor saps who did under the table. For a while when I was poor and in music school, I was drinking vodka on the rocks.

On scotch: I did a little research and I think I'll stay away from the islandy stuff. Medicinal taste? No thanks. Might need to develop a palate for that peaty stuff. I'm surprised to see so many Glenfiddich recommendations, the sites I read were calling it garbage, water for foreigners. For a light export, they recommended Glenlivet. And the best advice I've seen was to collect the mini-bottles :) So I think I'll grab a dozen of those and have a tasting day on the football day after jesus.

And just to reiterate, if you've never had a high-end cognac, the Couvoisier XO is amazing stuff. They've got a mini-bottle (the only way I've had it, it's $130/bottle), you should check it out. Don't judge cognac by anything less, I wasn't a fan until I had that (VSOP is not too bad, but it's nowhere near as good....VS I'll only cook with) One of the best liquors I've had, and I've had a lot (of cheap shit when I was in a band, heh). My band liquor was Yukon friggin Jack. I even have a half-bottle left from a smarmy bastard who gifted it to me years ago. Nasty stuff imo, sweet...but 100 proof. We used to down a big bottle during sound check and drink snakebites alternated with cheap american beer after. Ye gods we drank a lot. I wonder how I'm alive and healthy.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #29 on: December 20, 2006, 07:35:30 AM

I also ought to point out that the only hard liquor my dad will drink is scotch.  So I'd consider him a decent source on the subject.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 20, 2006, 10:11:46 AM

I don't drink scotch, but La Gallina is very partial to Macallan, which comes in an array of ages in your price range. 

I just wish the waiters would stop putting it in front of me and my drink in front of her when we go out  embarassed

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #31 on: December 20, 2006, 10:23:35 AM

Slight derail, but did anyone else catch where Ironwood called his brother a girl?   Gave me a chuckle.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #32 on: December 20, 2006, 10:46:13 AM

Macallan's is great for people that don't like their scotch really heavy on peaty flavor. The 12 year works well with beginners getting into the experience with single malt. Personally, I like Oban's 14 year for the flavor, but it's not for everyone. Some can't stand the boldness of it.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 20, 2006, 12:12:28 PM

No and I'm still missing it.  huh

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #34 on: December 20, 2006, 12:56:51 PM

No and I'm still missing it.  huh

Quote from: Ironwood
My brother loves the Jura peaty stuff, but to me it tastes of seaweed and driftwood.  He agrees, but he likes it.  I have also found that two of the women in my life also enjoy the peaty/island stuff that puts me off, so maybe women have differing tastes than men.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Booze.  
Jump to: