Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:37:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Booze. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Booze.  (Read 86147 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: December 20, 2006, 03:53:08 PM

Well, at least no-one assumed I was feeding Elena Booze.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #36 on: December 20, 2006, 04:02:47 PM

That would have been a good middle name btw.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #37 on: December 20, 2006, 06:37:25 PM

Well, at least no-one assumed I was feeding Elena Booze.

I got that, too, but the brother thing was much funnier.

Someday I'll actually have to try some of these scotches.  However, the price of a bottle I may or may not like is a bit prohibitive. Any suggestions therin?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: December 20, 2006, 07:21:10 PM

Someday I'll actually have to try some of these scotches.  However, the price of a bottle I may or may not like is a bit prohibitive. Any suggestions therin?

Most of the scotches I mentioned come in smaller sizes that are cheaper to get, and are also cheaper themselves.  That's if you want to start out real easy - middle shelf stuff in small bottles.  It'll lack the character of other brands, but won't be such a surprise that you'll bolt. 

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Sir Fodder
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 20, 2006, 11:30:22 PM

A friend and I went through many different tequillas (probably >50 varieties) years ago and the clear winner for both of us was El Tesoro anjeo. Some "experts" have told me not to make margaritas from anjeo but the El Tesoro anjeo was my favorite for that and also for shots. The El Tesoros are fairly striaight forward in flavor and dry, from what I can tell tequilla tastes seem to vary wildy though.
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: December 21, 2006, 05:57:09 AM

I've not tried anjeo tequila - I assume the label you like is pure agave as well.  From what I hear that's the only way to drink tequila if you do at all.  The only reason not to mix premium tequila, or any other premium liquor, is that a majority of the point in getting decent liquor is to taste it.  Soon as you mix it, you're masking the taste which you paid a premium to get.  As far as top shelf teqiula goes, I'm not sure there is such a thing.  The reason I got hooked on scotch is because even the cheap stuff is decent, and of course it only gets better from there.  Tequila oro starts off very bad, and I can't imagine that the 'good' stuff gets much past drinkable.  I'll suggest a bit tongue in cheek that the reason you like your anjeo is because it's the only stuff that is.  But, there are people who absolutely love it, so just not for me I guess.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #41 on: December 21, 2006, 07:53:07 AM

I usually drink cheap tequila, the Patron isn't bad at all...compared to ye olde Cuervo. I also drink it with a skirt (salt+lime). Not because I don't like the taste of tequila, rather I enjoy the mixture of flavors.
Sir Fodder
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: December 21, 2006, 08:26:41 AM

I like Patron too. Yeah, I agree about mixing liquors, though unlike most, I prefer making margaritas with only tequilla and fresh fruit. The anjeo is aged, and is usually more yellow in color. All my favorite tequillas are made from the blue agave plant; it's pretty fascinating acually, they take the large heart of the plant and roast them underground, then pulp it to start the fermentation process. I saw a video blurb of the El Tesoro tequilla making place and it all looked pretty authentic and interesting, including the old Don Felipe who is quite a character.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: December 22, 2006, 10:51:49 AM

A note for people who don't like the peaty nature of a lot of Scotchs, a decent Irish Whiskey will be just as nice but they tend to be a lot more subtle and generally a more mellow drink. The 10 year old Bushmills is a decent sipping whiskey, the Black Bush is much closer to Scotch whisky for those who prefer that fiery kick. On a more exotic note, the Yamazaki distillery in Japan does some really excellent Scotch style whisky.

Also Port is the drink of choice of the British Armed Forces so I think it's more than manly enough.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: December 22, 2006, 11:40:26 AM

I adore port, but get weird looks when I buy it. (Though not nearly as weird as if I buy bourbon.) So I can't tell you if it's a manly drink, but apparently it's not on the approved list for women.

The gendering of drinks is bizarre. Whiskey is male, but if I get my favorite drink, a manhattan, at a bar, it's a woman's drink because it has a cherry. Of course the only bars I ever go to are dyke bars, so I get weird looks for drinking a girlie drink instead of a beer.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: December 22, 2006, 12:31:03 PM

To be honest gendering of drinks is stupid, there's no real rules or sense to it and while I prefer beer generally, goddamnit sometimes I want to drink an Appletini!

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #46 on: December 22, 2006, 12:40:19 PM

I've not tried anjeo tequila - I assume the label you like is pure agave as well.  From what I hear that's the only way to drink tequila if you do at all.  The only reason not to mix premium tequila, or any other premium liquor, is that a majority of the point in getting decent liquor is to taste it.  Soon as you mix it, you're masking the taste which you paid a premium to get.  As far as top shelf teqiula goes, I'm not sure there is such a thing.  The reason I got hooked on scotch is because even the cheap stuff is decent, and of course it only gets better from there.  Tequila oro starts off very bad, and I can't imagine that the 'good' stuff gets much past drinkable.  I'll suggest a bit tongue in cheek that the reason you like your anjeo is because it's the only stuff that is.  But, there are people who absolutely love it, so just not for me I guess.

No, there are some very good premium tequilas that I drink just like scotch. Anejo is often times really good for that because it has aged long enough to pick up the flavor from the used bourbon casks. It can be quite complex (not as complex as Scotch likely, but still wroth the effort of seeking it out).  I've also had even silver tequila that I wouldn't mix if you paid me. I've been nursing a bottle of it I got in Mexico for over 4 years now. Most of the mass-market stuff here in the U.S. is crap and even the premium stuff here (Herradura, Patron, etc. etc.) is good but not the top of the line.  I think uber-premium tequila is starting to take off (much like vodka did the last 5 years or so) so I would expect more of the top stuff to start becoming more widespread.

Oh, and one reason not to get dreck like Cuervo even if you are mixing is that a good portion of the sugars it uses are not from Agave but from corn syrup (49% of the sugars in Cuervo Gold for instance is corn syrup). You get a much worse hangover from that stuff.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #47 on: December 22, 2006, 01:18:59 PM

No, there are some very good premium tequilas that I drink just like scotch. Anejo is often times really good for that because it has aged long enough to pick up the flavor from the used bourbon casks. It can be quite complex (not as complex as Scotch likely, but still wroth the effort of seeking it out).  I've also had even silver tequila that I wouldn't mix if you paid me. I've been nursing a bottle of it I got in Mexico for over 4 years now. Most of the mass-market stuff here in the U.S. is crap and even the premium stuff here (Herradura, Patron, etc. etc.) is good but not the top of the line.  I think uber-premium tequila is starting to take off (much like vodka did the last 5 years or so) so I would expect more of the top stuff to start becoming more widespread.

Oh, and one reason not to get dreck like Cuervo even if you are mixing is that a good portion of the sugars it uses are not from Agave but from corn syrup (49% of the sugars in Cuervo Gold for instance is corn syrup). You get a much worse hangover from that stuff.

I was a late bloomer to the tequila world.  It was only 3 or so years ago that I actually had a decent one.  A co-worker at his xmas party took me aside to "educate" me after I told  him tequila was that nasty stuff of hangover nightmares.

I am a convert,  and am now of the firm belief that it is simply not worth buying cheap tequila simply for the next day alone. I have found that a good tequila (don J. anejo, or padron anejo etc.) leaves me feeling not a trace of a hangover even if i "go big" the night before,  as in I can drink the better part of a 750ml bottle of a good tequila, generally just tequila on ice and wake up the next day feeling fine, functional and without a trace of headache.  If i ever tried that with a cheap tequila I would be blind the next day.  that alone decided it for me.

I will happily shell out 40 bucks for an entry level good tequila like Padron's anejo because I know i could get shitfaced on a wednesday night with some friends (who am i kidding, friends in Vent while raiding in a MMO) and be perfectly fine going to work the next day.  that is worth paying twice as much as I would for cheap stuff.  In the end i am saving money (or so i tell myself) by not effecting my work productivity.

so anyway... for those that haven't tried em, really do yourself a favor and spend 40 or 50 bucks on your next bottle of tequila, you will thank yourself the next day.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: April 22, 2009, 09:20:33 AM

I believe this thread deserves a necro.

So I broke into the Laphroaig last year, really liked how smooth it was. Two nights ago, ran out of beer, decided to have a nice glass of whisk(e)y, but didn't want to deplete the Laphroaig, so I broke the seal on a bottle of Bushmills 10yr single malt. I had previously considered this a smooth whisk(e)y. Blah. The Laphroaig has spoiled me, I poured a glass last night and really, really enjoyed it.

Hopefully some day I can afford some more real XO brandy (there are some knockoffs that taste like swill) and run some comparisons to see which I prefer.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #49 on: April 22, 2009, 10:11:47 AM

I ran out of my 10 year Balvenie and had thought about the 12 year, but I'm told it has a cherry taste from the casking and I don't want that.  It will be a toss-up whether I get another bottle of 10 year Balvenie, which I enjoy, or take a chance on something else.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: April 22, 2009, 12:01:49 PM

if you want to cheat on the scotch with a bottle of boubon the wife bought me some 16 year old hirsch about 10 years ago and I still haven't found anything better.  Hard to beat Balvenie double wood for the money, black bush is good as well.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #51 on: April 22, 2009, 12:23:06 PM

I always used to be partial to Macallan, but eventually got bored, and spent a weekend trying different whisky until I found what I preferred (and got terribly drunk).

Now I stick to Dalwhinnie and Royal Lochnagar. I think that makes me a wuss though.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #52 on: April 22, 2009, 01:22:29 PM

I believe this thread deserves a necro.

So I broke into the Laphroaig last year, really liked how smooth it was. Two nights ago, ran out of beer, decided to have a nice glass of whisk(e)y, but didn't want to deplete the Laphroaig, so I broke the seal on a bottle of Bushmills 10yr single malt. I had previously considered this a smooth whisk(e)y. Blah. The Laphroaig has spoiled me, I poured a glass last night and really, really enjoyed it.

Hopefully some day I can afford some more real XO brandy (there are some knockoffs that taste like swill) and run some comparisons to see which I prefer.

There's a holy war going on right now between the Laphroaig people and the Lagavulin people. Lagavulin is great if you want to go in the opposite direction or want a more peaty scotch. Also Talisker can light you up with it's building fiery flavors.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #53 on: April 22, 2009, 01:41:59 PM

Not scotch related but I recently tried the Brookly Local #2 and it was fantastic.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #54 on: April 22, 2009, 09:04:09 PM

After using up Righ's very expensive bottle of Laphroaig by swishing it on a sensitive tooth and spitting it out over the course of this past year or so, I've found that cheap gin works better.  I bet he wishes I had found that out or gone to the dentist earlier.  Poor old Righ.   Heartbreak

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: April 22, 2009, 11:42:53 PM

Has anyone tried the Laphroaig Quarter Cask (Double matured)? Very different taste (like charcoal).
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #56 on: April 23, 2009, 06:26:07 AM

After using up Righ's very expensive bottle of Laphroaig by swishing it on a sensitive tooth and spitting it out over the course of this past year or so, I've found that cheap gin works better.  I bet he wishes I had found that out or gone to the dentist earlier.  Poor old Righ.   Heartbreak

Facepalm

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: April 23, 2009, 08:13:57 AM

No wonder she's a zombie. I'd have killed her, too!  why so serious?

I've decided I'm going to lay off my nightly glass of scotch, I can't afford it :)
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: April 23, 2009, 10:43:39 AM

If you/he are not experienced Scotch drinkers, I would suggest Johnny Walker Black.  Good taste, easy to drink.  AVOID Red, but it seems below your price range anyway.  Upgrade to Green/Gold label if you want to fork the cash for them.  I enjoy Glenfiddich and it's another decent starter Scotch.  I've seen Dalmore recommended, but I personally don't care for it.  Famouse Grouse is ok, but probably below your price range.  I dislike J&B, and would advise against.  Avoid McClelland's for the gift - I've had Speyside and it's good as far as the cheap stuff goes, but you're not looking for that.

In most cases, if you can upgrade to older or reserve scotches, you can taste the difference.  If you are unsure about what to get you may want to go with a blended scotch (partly why I recommend JW Black) because they tend to be easier to drink.  I personally prefer single malts in spite of that, because of their character.  I'd recommend Glenfiddich if you're wanting a single.

I agree about the blended scotchs.  Most people who decide to try single malt (myself included) tend to grab the low end stuff(~$30 a bottle), not wanting to drop a lot of cash into something they might not like.  This turns people off from single malts because, IMO, a good blended scotch is much better than a low end single malt.

I don't like Johnny Walker at all.  I've tried the red and black and there's just something that my tongue does not agree with as far as that brand goes.  I actually like J&B but it's not my first choice in a blended scotch.  As far as the "big name" blended ones go here's my order of preference:

1. Cutty Sark
2. Dewars
3. J&B
4. Johnny Walker

Now I don't have a whole lot of experience with single malts, so I can't remember all the names I've tried, but I can tell you that regular Glenfiddich is just very "ok", and I'd prefer a bottle of Cutty.  However, I've tried some 15 and 20 year old Glenfiddich(or was it Glenlivet? It's been a while) that were great.  One brand that I do remember liking quite a bit was one that a bar which I used to frequent carried, and that was Auchentoshan.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: April 23, 2009, 11:15:40 AM

Regular Glenfiddich I have heard frequently referred to as the Coldplay of whiskys. It's ok but totally uninteresting. Blends can be really good too though they've become pretty unfashionable in the last decade or so. I have gotten to try Johnny Walker Blue Label once and it was fucking gorgeous.

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: April 23, 2009, 01:25:17 PM

Heart the 12 y/o Glenfiddich, it just has a fruity taste that I love in my whisky. Imho the JW gold and blue labels aren't worth the cost. Same with anything Chivas over 12 y/o including the Royal Salute.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #61 on: April 23, 2009, 01:42:58 PM

While we're on the topic of specialized whiskey's, anybody have some good high end Bourbon suggestions?  The bevmo near my house has a staggering amount to choose from.  I'll probably go grab an expensive bottle of Scotch and an expensive bottle of Bourbon, as I'd like to start developing a better whiskey pallet.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #62 on: April 23, 2009, 01:55:40 PM

Can't believe I missed this thread.

I like a good peaty scotch so clearly I'm very partial to a nice drop of Laphroaig or Talisker. If you want to try a single malt and you aren't sure if you'll like the peatier stuff then an Oban is always a good choice, very smooth but full of flavour. Recently I've been appreciating Connemara and have a very nice 12 year old bottle of that. I usually can't stand Irish whiskey but this is drinkable stuff.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: April 23, 2009, 02:30:29 PM

Not quite sure what you mean by the phrase "expensive bourbon" there, but Makers Mark is not too bad.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: April 23, 2009, 03:30:46 PM

I mean along the same line as the more expensive type scotchs.  There are all sorts of 12-20 year Bourbons of various brands I'm seeing, distilled in small batches, single barrel, etc..  Wanted to try one of them, beyond the standard issue Makers Mark, 4 Roses, Jack, ect. 

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: April 23, 2009, 03:32:10 PM

Good luck with that.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: April 23, 2009, 03:36:20 PM

Thanks  tongue

-Stephen Colbert
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: April 23, 2009, 03:37:13 PM

Try WL Weller 12 year for a nice "fancy" bourbon. It's actually very reasonably priced; 20 bucks a bottle at my BevMo. It's a really nice sipping bourbon. It has the smoothness of Woodford Reserve but also some of the spice you get from Knob Creek. I haven't tried a manhattan with it yet, but it's on my list of things to do this weekend.
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #68 on: April 23, 2009, 03:43:10 PM

I have to kinda speak here. Bourbons are corn whiskies made in the state of Kentucky. Jack is made in Tennessee and is not a bourbon. It can not be. Ya, I know but really. There is no high end bourbon as in high end Scotch. It just is not in the junta.

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: April 23, 2009, 04:10:52 PM

Yeah, sorry, my bad, I know Jack isn't technically a Bourbon, but always just sort of mentally place it there (because the bastards write Bourbon on the barrel). 

Not really sure what you mean on the scotch comparison though.  They are both specialty whiskeys defined from the region they are made.  Scotch is more established so you can get all sorts of crazy 35+ year aged bottles, but that shit is very expensive and beyond what I believe most people in this thread are talking about.  What I meant was the better crafted Bourbon, much like most of the Scotch suggestions here are beyond your average bottle of Johnny Walker or Glennfiddich.

And thanks for the WL Weller recommendation Prospero, seeing some good reviews of it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 04:12:44 PM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Booze.  
Jump to: