Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 08:16:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: What are your paranormal beliefs? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Poll
Question: Which of the following (if any) do you believe in?
UFOs/Alien visitations - 38 (23.3%)
Ghosts - 26 (16%)
Telepathy/Telekinesis - 17 (10.4%)
Bigfoot/Yeti - 10 (6.1%)
Demons/Exorcisms - 12 (7.4%)
Chupacabra/Nessie/other Cryptids - 9 (5.5%)
Mediums/communications with the dead (including EVP) - 8 (4.9%)
Other (explain) - 43 (26.4%)
Total Voters: 87

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What are your paranormal beliefs?  (Read 62180 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #140 on: December 29, 2006, 01:33:51 AM

Do you really want to have that conversation?
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #141 on: December 29, 2006, 02:21:52 AM

It's just like "What if I got so good at programming that my applications didn't need any code?"

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #142 on: December 29, 2006, 07:44:13 PM

Tell me, what change takes place in the genetic structure of a newly conceived organism which causes it to no longer have genes, or any other phyiscal structure at all?

An awesome one.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #143 on: December 29, 2006, 08:56:10 PM

The same change that formed the genetic structure out of nothing in the first place, but in reverse.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #144 on: December 29, 2006, 09:20:32 PM

Wouldn't that mean they turned into goo, not light?

"Me am play gods"
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: December 29, 2006, 10:26:58 PM

*sigh* I'm sounding like whatshisdick who defended Richard Dawkins' book in that other thread.

Classy.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: December 29, 2006, 10:53:33 PM

*sigh* I'm sounding like whatshisdick who defended Richard Dawkins' book in that other thread.

Classy.

If I was aiming for class I never would get involved in these debates in the first place.

Edit: In any case, I am going to attempt to stay out of this thread from here on out. WUA is blatantly just trying to stir shit up without even an attempt at meaningful dialogue.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 10:57:17 PM by Riggswolfe »

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: December 29, 2006, 11:12:36 PM

Wouldn't that mean they turned into goo, not light?
Hey, if Goo can do that, that's not so bad.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #148 on: December 30, 2006, 04:10:01 AM

If you take the process of the formation of DNA and run it in reverse, you get complex chemicals turning into simpler ones.  Not magical ghosts.  And Riggs, it's okay to have read the stupidest book ever.  The problem comes when you get pissy at my calling it stupid, yet have no answer to the fact that it's screamingly ignorant about it's own subject matter.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: December 30, 2006, 04:58:59 AM

This thread turned into a wanky personality contest.   Who'd have thought it ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: December 30, 2006, 09:32:22 AM

If you take the process of the formation of DNA and run it in reverse, you get complex chemicals turning into simpler ones.  Not magical ghosts.  And Riggs, it's okay to have read the stupidest book ever.  The problem comes when you get pissy at my calling it stupid, yet have no answer to the fact that it's screamingly ignorant about it's own subject matter.

WUA, in order to remain consistent you need to immediately delete your posts from the Star Trek thread about liking any Trek at all. Trek butchers physics every single time a starship goes to warp. Don't get me started on the time Kirk ordered phasers fired while in warp. Or how much energy a transporter takes. Or how internally inconsistent it is with itself from episode to episode.

You must also immediately withdraw any liking you have for Star Wars. The Force is ESP wrapped in technobabble. Midichlorians shows such a fundamental misunderstanding of biology that it is laughable. How in the hell does a lightsaber keep a "blade" of energy that produces no heat and is produced by an object that fits in the palm of your hand?

You also need to stop watching Dr. Who if you do. Relativity shows that his escapades are truly impossible.

Dune? Right out as well. A man turning into a sandworm because of some drugs? Mental powers? I could go on and on about Dune.

Battlestar Galactica almost passes, except they too go faster than light. (implied at least.) Oh, and "downloading" a consciousness across a distance of light years? And robots that are identical to humans? And have a God? Laughable. Toss that out too.

Oh, and Heinlein, get this, that old geezer wrote about people who became effectively immortal, through selective breeding over a few generations. Crazy huh? Never read anymore Heinlein again.

Aasimov? Sentient robots? Clearly impossible with any technology known to man. A hack.

Arthur C. Clarke? Come on? Giant metal rectangles that communicate and somehow helped early man to use tools? That tried to foster a new race on Jupiter? A sentient computer that essentially goes insane?

Ray Bradbury? Have you read his stories? Life on Mars for instance? Clearly the man has no understanding at all of science.

So, be consistent, or shut the fuck up is my point.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #151 on: December 30, 2006, 09:45:02 AM

Boy, you bit. You bit hard.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #152 on: December 30, 2006, 04:06:16 PM

Warp drive is made up, and we all know it's made up.  Evolution is an actual concept, and if you have to hideously mutilate it in order for your story to work, then any relevance you were seeking to gain by using an actual concept is thrown out the window.  It's the difference between writing a book where Abe Lincoln is kidnapped by martians, and writing a book where Abe Lincoln is born a fillipino woman in 1976 Chicago.  One is a lame/implausibe story about Lincoln, the other makes one wonder what it has to do with Lincoln at all.

edit:  Trek loves that "evolving into energy" crap too, and it pisses me off there as well.  Star Wars at least has the sense not to even pretend it has anything to do with science.

Aranel
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: December 30, 2006, 05:49:09 PM

Hmm... I'd have to say various cryptids.

Cryptogeology is interesting as well.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #154 on: January 01, 2007, 08:04:52 PM

Warp drive is made up, and we all know it's made up.  Evolution is an actual concept

Space travel is an actual concept, too.  They mutilate it by bringing warp drive into it.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #155 on: January 01, 2007, 08:50:28 PM

It's quite sad that there probably won't be anything like warpdrive.

I might be wrong, but the fastest matter being observed are gases propelled by blazar jets, producing speeds close to the speed of light. Other than that, there are observations of stars being pulled at speeds around 1,000 km a second (over 3,000,000 km an hour) by (presumably) supermassive blackholes. That's fast as all hell, enough to the point to disspate entire worlds, and that's less than 1% of the speed of light. Even if we could harness that (which would still be amazing for space travel), there's still the question of producing a hull that could take the "abuse" (for lack of a better word).

Then again, this is all along the lines of force and propulsion. Which has nothing to do with warp drives.

But anyways, it's a fun concept. As is anything speculative in Star Trek. Fun. TV Show. No reason to be pissed off.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 09:01:28 PM by Stray »
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: January 01, 2007, 09:19:54 PM

This thread, once one of entertaining the idea of the paranormal, has apparently backlashed into one of excessive skepticism.  It's hard to anticipate exactly what science will achieve in the future, so reading the last few messages saying how various aspects of science fiction is absolutely ridiculous may be assuming too much.  I'm not saying that everything that ever dripped off a science fiction writer's quill will come true to the smallest details - the odds are pretty small.  However, one cannot yet rule out that similar effects cannot be achieved through entirely different, yet-to-be discovered techniques and phenomena. 

Some counterexamples of what I've seen here on the last few posts:

If indeed we cannot exceed the speed of light, as particle physics suggests, then perhaps we might find a way to exceed the speed of light through some method of circumvention.  Impossible, you say?  Well, there were some very learned people who thought the sound barrier was impassible just 50ish years ago.

We may actually develop robots that, if not sentient, are sufficiently advanced as to be indistinguishable from the real thing.  Can go they go insane?  What's acceptable sanity?  I'd say my computer goes insane every time it crashes - though this would be a kind of sanity that doesn't require sentience, as my existing computer has shown no evidence of self-awareness.

Given our mapping of the human genome, and our work to put together the puzzle of how we are assembled, there is introduced the possibility to make improvements.  Subtle at first, but in time, there really no limitation to the extent that what we recognize as the human organism to be modified... some would say, perverted, but that's really a matter of moral difference.  Germ line (prior to birth) genetic therapy is not the only possibility, as somatic (post-birth) gene therapy is a real life developing field that shows great potential even though they haven't quite nailed the details yet.  If we're lucky, it'll become an affordable reality before we kick the bucket, as here is your quickest potential for immortality.

Sometimes, the line between insane optimism and reality is shattered by tomorrow's discovery.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #157 on: January 01, 2007, 09:29:36 PM

I'm not trying to reject the general idea of what you're saying, but comparing the skepticism towards exceeding the speed of light and skepticism in the past with the speed of sound is apples and oranges. The first is measured by a fair bit of provisional truths -- the latter were measured by completed shortsightedness and stupidity.

Disbelieving that one could travel faster than speed of sound didn't have any overarching laws of physics to support it (like Einstein's Theory of Relativity for Light Speed). It was just mindless skepticism. Einstein is not mindless skepticism.

Not saying that he's absolutely right either -- but he is the best we have for the time being.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #158 on: January 01, 2007, 09:32:49 PM

Even if we could harness that (which would still be amazing for space travel), there's still the question of producing a hull that could take the "abuse" (for lack of a better word).

That's what structural integrity fields are for.  Duh.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #159 on: January 03, 2007, 07:53:49 AM

Llava
Contributor

Reply #160 on: January 06, 2007, 07:17:10 PM

I now believe in leprechauns.

Turns out I work with one.

This guy is about 5'2" and let me tell you, before I was even really thinking about it, I thought he looked like a leprechaun.  He has the bushy eyebrows, the wrinkled grinning face, squinty eyes... everything about him just says leprechaun.  But today I put together more evidence.  Firstly, his last name is Kahn.  Pronounced like (lepre)chaun.  Second, he's a total lech.  Third, he's greedy and selfish.  Fourth, he likes to screw with people.  Fifth, and this is the kicker for me, he's obsessed with using the Sacagawea golden dollar instead of the paper dollar.  That's a gold coin! He's obsessed with gold coins!

I swear, I'm finding a pure iron bell and taking it to work and ringing it in front of him.  If he freaks out, I'm tackling him and getting that pot o' gold.  I'll keep you all updated.

.... This may not be funny if you don't know the guy.  Oh well, sucks to be you all.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #161 on: January 06, 2007, 09:01:12 PM

It will be funny the moment you post the results of the iron bell ringing.  Until then it's just amusing.

As for ftl travel, buring a hole through space-time seems to be the better solution than even attempting 'real' speed.  However, not knowing much about physics beyond what the physicists on NOVA talk about, I'll let everyone else worry about how that'll happen.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: January 07, 2007, 04:56:52 PM

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: February 12, 2007, 08:44:05 AM

Add a "none" option and I'll vote.

Edit: at the moment, if 17% of those who reply say they believe in the mediums/ghosts option, then all you know is that 17% of the "scientifically illiterate or otherwise gullible" subset of F13's readership believe in the happy medium.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 08:46:24 AM by Endie »

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
WayAbvPar

Reply #164 on: March 05, 2015, 01:12:00 PM

Holy 8 year old thread!

I still follow the Bigfoot phenomena. The overwhelming majority of it is pretty easily explainable as mis-identifications or overactive imaginations, but then something like this comes along (warning- lengthy PDF). I subscribe to The Bigfoot Show podcast, and one of the NAWAC higher ups runs it, so I have heard most of these stories before. Seeing it all together in a report is pretty compelling, however. Either this entire group is lying or there is something real out there.

Real or not, it is a pretty interesting read. And might make you a little jumpy at night in the woods  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #165 on: March 05, 2015, 01:33:58 PM

Almost stopped reading when I got to "North American Wood Ape Conservancy".

You nut. awesome, for real

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #166 on: March 05, 2015, 01:35:10 PM

-Rasix
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #167 on: March 05, 2015, 01:56:04 PM

229 page PDF? Never have I needed a TLDR; more so than now.  ACK!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: March 05, 2015, 01:59:58 PM

I'm glad my "don't click on PDFs" policy served me well this time.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: March 05, 2015, 02:17:53 PM

Either this entire group is lying or there is something real out there.
There is something real out there. Probably several somethings lumped together by longing and expectation. No deception required. It's also not really apes. Large mammals present all over an entire, extensively explored continent (as Bigfoot is claimed to be) simply do not avoid leaving bones, fur, feces, and photographs for four hundred years of naturalist explorations. This isn't some variant buffalo which might go undetected via miscategorization of specimen age. The entire primate order has been absent from North America's fossil record (much less its primeval forests) for fifty million years. Megafauna simply do not hide in plain sight.

If we want to believe, if our goal is sufficiently vague, and if our standards of evidence are sufficiently weak then we can find anything. Our brain is especially well tuned to identifying human shapes, human faces, and human motivations... where they exist and where they do not. Giant intelligent apes meet this criteria quite well.

I would love to live in a world where all these marvelous things exist. The entire disciplines of biology, taxonomy, and paleontology would be thrilled to find a North American Ape. They still require falsifiable, testable evidence before they believe that we do. Anything we could do a DNA test on would be great.

(sorry rasix)

if at last you do succeed, never try again
schild
Administrator

Reply #170 on: March 05, 2015, 02:21:21 PM

I like the X-Files.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: March 05, 2015, 02:29:16 PM

There are a heap of near extinct animals that are far more interesting as things that exist than a 'Bigfoot'. Spend your energy on them.
WayAbvPar

Reply #172 on: March 05, 2015, 02:39:29 PM

Read the report. I know it is long, but just dismissing it without even looking at it and making snide comments is the easy way out. Or ignore it, whatever.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
schild
Administrator

Reply #173 on: March 05, 2015, 02:40:43 PM

I didn't click it, but it says 200 pages.

Why would anyone read that?

Comeon.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #174 on: March 05, 2015, 02:48:15 PM

I took a quick skim through, focusing in on the parts that sounded most promising (like "Blood and Hair").  Here's the tl;dr version: a very excitable group of guys went camping and saw lots of things they think are Bigfeet.  Mysteriously, all of the evidence they were able to bring back fails to corroborate their fantasies.  Due to a vast conspiracy orchestrated by the Bigfeet, no doubt.

awesome, for real
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: What are your paranormal beliefs?  
Jump to: