Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:25:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: What are your paranormal beliefs? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Poll
Question: Which of the following (if any) do you believe in?
UFOs/Alien visitations - 38 (23.3%)
Ghosts - 26 (16%)
Telepathy/Telekinesis - 17 (10.4%)
Bigfoot/Yeti - 10 (6.1%)
Demons/Exorcisms - 12 (7.4%)
Chupacabra/Nessie/other Cryptids - 9 (5.5%)
Mediums/communications with the dead (including EVP) - 8 (4.9%)
Other (explain) - 43 (26.4%)
Total Voters: 87

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What are your paranormal beliefs?  (Read 61749 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #210 on: March 06, 2015, 12:39:47 PM

I would love to live in a world where there are intelligent, man-sized, bipedal apes in the woods.
This is easily the craziest thing in this thread.
Because they're obviously harmless.

If they were kidnapping or killing people on a regular basis, then they'd have slipped up once or twice and we'd know about it by now.
TIL ninjas are bigfeet. Bigfoots. Bigfootii.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #211 on: March 06, 2015, 12:40:16 PM

He was fine except for treating the Movies board like Politics. He went mental after I temp banned him for 3 days for fucking up a thread about Battleship and I perma-banned him after that.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #212 on: March 06, 2015, 12:46:17 PM

I figure my life would not change one bit if there really were wood apes living on this continent.  Not until they became a political pawn, that is.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #213 on: March 06, 2015, 01:24:24 PM

He was fine except for treating the Movies board like Politics. He went mental after I temp banned him for 3 days for fucking up a thread about Battleship and I perma-banned him after that.

He was nuts, but his worst sins were about Movies for sure. And being an ass. Both of which I enjoyed from a  Popcorn slant as he went straight down the rabbithole wearing Nerf's armor.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #214 on: March 06, 2015, 01:45:25 PM

Well, of course I can say that because I don't see people here from a mod's perspective.  If WUA caused me work because he was being assy, I'm sure I would have hated his slimy guts and banned the hell out of him, too. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: March 06, 2015, 01:47:50 PM

I figure my life would not change one bit if there really were wood apes living on this continent.
This is a nice summary of my feeling about the supernatural. If any part of it were to become natural and provable, then it would be no more interesting than the other fascinating aspects of the natural world. Because if the proposed mental powers and cryptids and aliens and metaphysical ideas had notable, meaningful effects on our everyday lives then we'd have evidence of them by now. Certainly somebody would have accidentally come up with a working test procedure.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: March 06, 2015, 02:08:22 PM

Like I said I would love to live in a world where there are intelligent, man-sized, bipedal apes in the woods.
Try a lumber camp or Sky's backyard.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
WayAbvPar

Reply #217 on: March 06, 2015, 02:33:24 PM

I figure my life would not change one bit if there really were wood apes living on this continent.
This is a nice summary of my feeling about the supernatural. If any part of it were to become natural and provable, then it would be no more interesting than the other fascinating aspects of the natural world. Because if the proposed mental powers and cryptids and aliens and metaphysical ideas had notable, meaningful effects on our everyday lives then we'd have evidence of them by now. Certainly somebody would have accidentally come up with a working test procedure.

I like to think I live in a world that still has wonders to be discovered. I have been partial to Bigfootery mostly because A) I grew up in the 70s when it was a big deal, B) it seems far more likely to me than ghosts or other paranormal goodies, and C) the highest concentrations of sightings is basically a day trip in any direction from where I live.

There are so many crazy attention seekers, hoaxers, and charlatans around that 99% of anything you hear about it is likely to be false. But there is just enough plausible 'stuff' to make it interesting.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #218 on: March 06, 2015, 02:57:39 PM

I should send that link to my mother, she was an avid Bigfoot Believer back in the day. It will mess with her head. She hears about and believes are sorts of kookie things. Last month she was warning me about not sticking half an onion back in to the fridge because it absorbed all the germs in the fridge or some such thing. Probably heard it from one of Oprah's doctors.

Also, I also like WUA. And I just wanted to post in a thread that's nine years old.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: March 06, 2015, 03:43:51 PM

Try a lumber camp or Sky's backyard.
That was the joke I was expecting.

I like to think I live in a world that still has wonders to be discovered.
There we are 100% in agreement.

I also grew up in Bigfoot country in the 1970s and 80s. My father worked for the California water board, and he'd take us kids along for camping trips when he did sawmill inspections. I've got a picture of my whole family standing in mock terror by the Willow Creek bigfoot statue.

Can't be a real cynic until you've already been an idealist. Bring on the wonders.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #220 on: March 06, 2015, 05:25:06 PM

I wouldn't mind that, either.  Well, as long as they knew their place and stayed in the woods where they belong and brought me shiny bananas. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #221 on: March 06, 2015, 10:14:06 PM

WUA was an expert on everything , but particularly tanks IIRC.  Or so he thought.  He was a pretty funny troll, as opposed to say Dusematic.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: March 06, 2015, 10:30:42 PM

I don't think anybody would be unhappy to see WUA back. He was a benevolent troll. But that's a fine line to walk, and rules are rules. Anyway, it's fitting that his final act was to shit up a thread so hard, everyone decided that talking about the Battleship movie was preferable to whatever else was going on. That takes finesse.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: March 06, 2015, 10:39:56 PM

I don't miss him at all.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: March 06, 2015, 10:54:10 PM

WUA was fantastic; you could always tell when he was trolling and yet it was still entertaining.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: March 07, 2015, 12:16:17 AM

WUA was fantastic; you could always tell when he was trolling and yet it was still entertaining.

Yep.  Put me down on the I Loved WUA list as well.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #226 on: March 07, 2015, 12:38:00 AM

That's fantastic.  He's not a ghost/yeti/bigfoot/Jesus, so let's move the fuck on.

-Rasix
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: March 07, 2015, 01:05:32 AM

Has that been conclusively proven? We might be on to something, here.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: March 07, 2015, 12:25:46 PM

Seriously, you're lumping 'Jesus' in with that shit ?

why so serious?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #229 on: March 07, 2015, 12:57:16 PM

Didn't he link a bunch of goatse as his final act or something?  I liked him too but that crap can get innocent people he wasn't mad at fired from work.

I would like to know his thoughts on the star wars movies...
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: March 07, 2015, 01:50:54 PM

The thing about the knocking in that report is a pretty good example of how folks who are interested in this stuff only really consider the singular explanation that they're fixated on.

Suppose I was knocking on trees in the Pacific Northwest, and I heard clear answering knocks not too far away, responding precisely to my pattern. Suppose I'm also 100% certain there are no other people nearby. Suppose I'm sure that no animal could make that noise, and that the intelligence of the pattern in any event rules out animals or natural events.

So maybe I have something that's "paranormal" in the sense that there are no natural or normal explanations. But then why "wood apes"? Could be a ghost. Could be an alien. Could be a demon inside my mind making me hallucinate. Could be leprechauns. Could be time-travellers. Could be a parallel Earth where my doppleganger is knocking on trees and we're hearing each other because of some kind of dimensional resonance.

I'm not saying this just to mock--it's just that once you are absolutely certain for some reason that you cannot explain something naturally, there's a zillion kinds of paranormal or supernatural or cryptid explanations you could suggest with equal (non) plausibility.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #231 on: March 09, 2015, 02:29:20 PM

I believe wood knocking occurs in forests around the world.  It happened in south Alabama but I figured it was just woodpeckers.  I also assumed that the thing shaking trees was a bear.  Of course, there are plenty of colorful names for things that people almost see in the forest.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: March 09, 2015, 02:50:56 PM

Ok I've never heard of this wood knocking. It's supposed to be bigfoot knocking back?

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #233 on: March 09, 2015, 03:12:36 PM

It is a well known fact that bigfeet are a superstitious lot, and they knock on wood all the time. Duh.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: March 09, 2015, 03:23:09 PM

Yeah, there might be (triple) trouble if they didn't.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: March 12, 2015, 03:26:37 AM

This needs to be updated for the modern age to include options like "Soylent" and "Gluten."

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: March 12, 2015, 07:49:10 AM

I think people in this thread would really love listening to Monster Talk if you don't already. That said it's kind of died but if you haven't listened before the archives are pretty big. Lots of Big foot stuff in there including things like interviews with the producers for that Big Foot hunting 'reality' show. If you're a true believer you might get upset but the hosts, I think, try hard not to be dismissive or condescending with their views and genuinely love talking about monsters.

Personally I think examining the social and psychological reasons behind people believing these things as well as trying to chart the folklore development (and of course the actual awesome folkore) is way, way more interesting than say one of those ghost hunter shows where a bunch of nerds poke about while being filmed with NV cameras.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: March 12, 2015, 08:53:36 AM

I once lived in a haunted house, quite disconcerting. I think I'm fairly sceptical, but the things I saw there convinced me.

It was a 300 year old gate lodge nestled in a small glade. After we moved in we heard some strange stories about the place. Turned out one of the previous tenants before us went a bit nuts and smashed all the windows in the house. One of our a friends knew him and apparently he was a very normal, placid guy so to speak. We also heard, from a friends mother, that a hundred years before a Doctor performed abortions in the house.

The first thing I noticed after only a couple of days was random objects being in a different place to where I had left them. One night we were in bed and the lampshade started rocking beside our bed as if something had brushed off it. My first thought was it was a draught but there was zero draughts in this house due to the location and surrounding walls and trees. Another thing that was noticeable was the surrounding temperature of the house was deathly cold until you walked a few metres away and you would realise that it was quite a mild day.

So loads of small events, that were easily dismissed or brushed off, occurred - until one night while on my laptop I heard my wife go into the bathroom behind me. I heard the hall door close behind her, a few minutes later she was shouting and screaming. I ran to see what was up and found the hall door locked with my wife on the other side. I noticed it was locked on my side via a big old latch. So I forced the latch open by pressing on the door with my shoulder and started asking my wife what happened. It dawned on me that something external must have done this as the door was heavily warped and the only way to close this latch was to lean against the door and press down the latch like I had opened it. I then tried to pull the door from the other side forcefully to see if I could recreate the incident, but no, it was impossible. Whatever did it had to be from opposite side of the door pressing on it to force the latch down.

After that I was convinced something was in the house with us, the only time I actually saw with my own eyes was a door being slammed shut on it's own or a window open. Needless to say we moved out after a few months.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 08:55:47 AM by Amarr HM »

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #238 on: March 12, 2015, 11:23:07 AM

I grew up in a haunted house, however the hauntings went away after we replaced the kitchen cabinets and remodeled the bathroom.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: March 12, 2015, 03:38:09 PM

Sounds scary, hope you weren't too scarred by the original decor.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #240 on: March 12, 2015, 05:45:02 PM

Ancient building's doors stick and have wildly fluctuating temperatures inside vs out? I guess it was one of those 'had to be there' scenarios....

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: March 12, 2015, 06:36:48 PM

That's the thing the door was already warped from being old and fluctuating temperatures, this is what made it impossible to secure the latch without force applied to the top of the door to straighten it towards the frame.  It was a big old iron latch like this, I took a while to test every possible scenario there was no way my wife could have made it drop. Her version was that she heard it shut while she was in the toilet and thought I had done it to her as a prank (it was a halldoor).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 06:39:15 PM by Amarr HM »

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: March 12, 2015, 07:13:43 PM

The real question is why you leap from "I don't know how this happened" to "the house is haunted"?  It's ok to not know how something happened.  That doesn't mean it could only have had supernatural causes.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: March 12, 2015, 07:28:27 PM

I guess it was one of those 'had to be there' scenarios....
Entire thread summed up in one sentence.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: March 12, 2015, 08:20:49 PM

To sound a bit like a broken record, one of the hosts of that podcast used to be a believer in the paranormal. Grew up in an Evengelical Christian household and lived in a 'haunted' house and lots of other things. He lost his religion basically around adulthood but still believed in the paranormal and had a load of stories about 'inexplicable' things that happened in his home that proved it was ghosts. Now, these weren't the only explanations but the others were all kind of unlikely and there were just so many of these events...

Except step 1 of the thought process should be 'Is this possible within the limits of the universe that we know of?' If not then you are immediately putting the probability of that cause (say for example, the psychic resonance/immortal soul/bad juju of the recently departed) in as a pretty tiny possibility. Without going into any other detail, is it more likely that several unlikely events happened or that there is not properly documented phenomena that has escaped the purview of science for the last century or more going on in this extremely localised environment.

In your particular case, a different possible interpretation (I want to stress, I'm not saying that I'm defintiely right in this interpretation. I don't think your house is haunted but maybe I am wrong and it is. What I want to know is if you think this interpretation is possible) would be:
Bad things happened in the house. Of course they did, it's an old house. How many houses are there where bad things happened and they're not haunted? Probably a shit load more.
Previous tenant had some sort of breakdown. Have you looked at mental health statistics in this country? People always seem normal and mellow until something happens, do you have any idea if this was restricted to his time in the house? It could be a perfectly normal but very unfortunate mental health issue.
Weird noises, temperature variations, etc. Now the thing is if there are temperature variations, some sort of micro-climate thing, that could actually be causing many of these other issues. Unusual or large temperature variations are not kind to building materials, especially wood and other older used ones.
The Bathroom incident. You've got an old wooden door in an old wooden (I'm guessing frame) that you are exposing to sudden heat and moisture from the shower. Is it at all possible this resulted in a change and movement that caused the old lock to fall in place and jam the door somewhat?

So at this point I feel I'm going psycho on your post, apologies. I want to be clear I'm not saying none of the things you experienced didn't happen, this is purely about the explanation for them. One of the things about haunted houses is that seemingly unlikely things (like the temperature, noises and doors locking) happening in large numbers can all stem from a common cause. Like I said, you might be right but I'd urge you to think about whether haunting is really the most likely explanation for a series of unlikely seeming events.

That all said, 'I lived in an old house with an unusual micro-climate that meant things made weird knocking noises and even cause doors to lock by themselves' is a way worse story than 'I lived in a haunted house'.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: What are your paranormal beliefs?  
Jump to: