Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:38:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: What is good about this game? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is good about this game?  (Read 12218 times)
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: December 08, 2006, 02:24:10 PM

Can you do anything with the trophy objects? Is there a place to store them? Will we have a house in the future where I can mount that Wolf's head?

BTW, the purple sword thing, are you borrowing WoW terminology or is there some kind of color scheme denoting rareness ?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #36 on: December 08, 2006, 02:26:51 PM

Before the wipe, I had an item that had purple text somewhere in its description.  I am not sure if that was "special" or not, but it was specifically named (Earring of the mariner or something) as opposed to just being a gold or silver earring.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #37 on: December 08, 2006, 02:28:32 PM

This isn't meant to be an insult, but pardon me if I take the words of Xilren and Cheddar with a grain of salt. They have a history of Turbine adulation. I mean, I think they're the only people at this site playing DDO and AC1.  tongue

I didn't meet the level requirements, so I'll probably start on a new char tonight.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #38 on: December 08, 2006, 02:31:27 PM

Heh, I still play DDO.  I have a set group that plays once a week.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #39 on: December 08, 2006, 02:39:14 PM

This isn't meant to be an insult, but pardon me if I take the words of Xilren and Cheddar with a grain of salt. They have a history of Turbine adulation. I mean, I think they're the only people at this site playing DDO and AC1.  tongue

I didn't meet the level requirements, so I'll probably start on a new char tonight.

AC1 is still a great game.  So :P

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #40 on: December 08, 2006, 02:39:33 PM

/foot in mouth

I've always want to be a Turbine fanboy, but certain things prevent me. They have some of the better ideas among mmog developers.....Meshed with ideas that completely push me away.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #41 on: December 08, 2006, 04:01:59 PM

/foot in mouth

I've always want to be a Turbine fanboy, but certain things prevent me. They have some of the better ideas among mmog developers.....Meshed with ideas that completely push me away.

IMO, this set group is a great way to play DDO.  I can tell you that I'll never see all of the content, but that's fine.  It's really a lot of fun to play with a set group largely because it's closest to that "play PnP games once a week" experience.  When I was trying to play DDO to get my toon to lv 10 (now 12) and all that, well, it was less enjoyable.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #42 on: December 08, 2006, 04:55:24 PM

Captains need to be nerfed bad. Yesterday, a level 30 captain straight out of the box, and myself, a level 30 Champion straight out of the box, dueled. He beat the ever living pants off of me.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #43 on: December 08, 2006, 05:07:32 PM

Yes, they need to look closely at dueling and balance the game according to that.

tongue@Cal

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #44 on: December 08, 2006, 05:10:56 PM

Captains need to be nerfed bad. Yesterday, a level 30 captain straight out of the box, and myself, a level 30 Champion straight out of the box, dueled. He beat the ever living pants off of me.

Well duh.  Captains have awesome buffs and a couple decent attacks straight out of the box.  Get yourself some weapons, build up your traits (cannot emphasize traits enough), and you will probably see a different outcome. 

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #45 on: December 08, 2006, 06:01:02 PM

Also, every class plays like crap compared to Captains (not to say they're the bee's knees either though).

It needs to be balanced for that.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #46 on: December 08, 2006, 06:50:48 PM

Also, every class plays like crap compared to Captains (not to say they're the bee's knees either though).

It needs to be balanced for that.

Not true.  Captain is the jack of all trade class, I do jack shit as well as other classes.  They fill the gap well, though, and in the hands of a decent player can change roles during combat as needed.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #47 on: December 08, 2006, 06:55:31 PM

Talking about "feel". Other classes feel more passive and one dimensional (Or maybe I should say the other weapon using classes).

I don't care about power and contribution necessarily. Not at this stage at least.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #48 on: December 08, 2006, 08:01:56 PM

Talking about "feel". Other classes feel more passive and one dimensional (Or maybe I should say the other weapon using classes).

I don't care about power and contribution necessarily. Not at this stage at least.

Man, I just did an uber quest tonight, and wow.  Burglars rock, as do minstrels.  Every group needs one.  Dunno about contribution as far as you describe.  I play the enemy, Captain.  I will say, as I have said before, a captain uses all his abilities in various ways, and needs to switch shit on the fly.  During our questing the minstrel died, and I had to switch from tank to ressing, then jump back into the fray.  One things I hate is spamming anti fear, we should get some timer on preventing those effects!  /rambleoff

edit.  Burglars are the most underated class.  My God, they are fucking awesome in groups.  If I have time I will roll one up tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 08:38:12 PM by Cheddar »

Calandryll
Developers

Would you kindly produce a web game.

Reply #49 on: December 09, 2006, 11:15:33 AM

Yes, they need to look closely at dueling and balance the game according to that.

tongue@Cal
BANNED!! :P
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #50 on: December 09, 2006, 11:24:52 AM

I just found out this morning that Auction houses are in.  Pretty cool stuff; it is amazing the amount of material they are adding!  I ran around working on traits (virtues, whatever) and had no issues with performance whatsoever.

edit.  Heh, just caught this quote from Cal on the official boards:

Quote from: Cal
Quote from: Forum Chuckleclown
Originally Posted by Sevok
LOL time will tell. I actually outright asked Cal to ban me, but he didn't.

That's because I hate banning people.  But if you truly and honestly want to leave the community, you can PM me.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 11:29:22 AM by Cheddar »

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: December 09, 2006, 01:56:36 PM

The framework of this game is really, really good. This last patch greatly improved my performance (high with a few shadows and view distances tweaked a little downward) though I still get some stutter moving into a new hobbit village or whatever. Now, a cynic could say that the framework is just WoW. I mean the auction house is pretty much exactly like WoW's. But I don't mind that. WoW did alot of things right as far as diku. Give me WoW with some extra goodies and you may have a customer. And there's what? Eight months left until release? The game is in really good shape for being in what amounts to an early beta.

And I agree on the burglar. Just a really good dps class. They also seem to have tweaked stealth a bit. Prior to this patch I was unable to sneak up on anything, now I can. I'm enjoying it. And the Shire still rocks!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 09, 2006, 05:16:22 PM

Copying is the sincerest form of flattery :)

We've all watched the UI and game features evolve over the years. It's like WASD, hotkeys and slash commands. Sure there are other ways to deliver all of that. But none exist with such strong built-in intuition. Heck, UIs developed for MMOs have transcended to other genres and vice versa.

So take WoW's Auction House. Comparable to EQ1's Bazaar user interface. Can't recall how DAoC worked, probably similar. LoTRO isn't copying WoW. It's continuing to evolve a feature UI.

But other stuff it is copying. Because WoW did too. Because EQ1. Babystep evolution :)
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: December 09, 2006, 08:41:11 PM

Just so I can blather on about stuff I like...

The more I play the more I feel like I'm in Middle Earth. There's really no higher form of flattery than that. Is it a game instead of a world? Right now, yes. BUT it's jst obvious that the dev team knows their stuff. It all just drips with the feel of Tolkien. That's sort of a drawback with the hack and slash style; Tolkien's world wasn't populated with a massive variety of gribblies to slay, a la WoW or EQ. That's why you see so many bears and the like. I am sick of killing bears, though.

If ever a game cried out for a bridge between EQ style kill/loot and UO style crafting/housing, this is it. I want to kill monsters but I also want a house and a farm in this world. I *want it* want it.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #54 on: December 09, 2006, 09:02:10 PM

The more I play the more I feel like I'm in Middle Earth. There's really no higher form of flattery than that. Is it a game instead of a world? Right now, yes. BUT it's jst obvious that the dev team knows their stuff. It all just drips with the feel of Tolkien. That's sort of a drawback with the hack and slash style; Tolkien's world wasn't populated with a massive variety of gribblies to slay, a la WoW or EQ. That's why you see so many bears and the like. I am sick of killing bears, though.

If ever a game cried out for a bridge between EQ style kill/loot and UO style crafting/housing, this is it. I want to kill monsters but I also want a house and a farm in this world. I *want it* want it.

Conveyed better then I could.  At first you are beating back wolves and marauders, and as things progress you run into Mordor sent foes.  It gives you an enormous hard on.  I love the fear effects, and think they are a great addition.  I would recommend dropping fear penalty from death.   Its easy to die.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #55 on: December 10, 2006, 06:08:55 AM

I dunno if you've ventured past the Bree Town area (or shire), but when I ran from Bree to the Lone Lands, I realized just how well-done the world really was.  You head east and go past the Midgewater Marshes, then all of a sudden, the terrain opens up and you're in the foothills of the well, the Weather Hills, but it's still damn impressive.  There's still not a ton of baddies to fight, but you get orcs and goblins as well as the wolves and boars and whatnot.

The only thing I don't like is when the terrain cockblocks me from moving in a specific direction, but that's only once in a while, so it's not too bad.  It's the most noticeable near Weathertop, though.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: December 10, 2006, 05:01:15 PM

Prior to the wipe I ran Tibby to Rivendell at level 10 because I wanted to see it. I couldn't go offroading but, yes, the terrain is just lovingly crafted. While my Tolkien beard is shorter than it was in olden times I still find myself getting into a tizzy when I not only see known landmarks from the book but landmarks that look EXACTLY as Tolkien described them.

Dammit, Cal. You have to put housing in this game! Even just EQ2 instanced housing! This is the first game where I've actually given a shit about it. Keep it dikued up, fine, but add a little more world ownership in there. And make crafting fun (but that's another topic).
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: December 10, 2006, 05:04:19 PM

Definitely has a Tolkien-esque, but also a dare-I-say "Realistic" quality to it. A downside though is the great spreads of land with nothing in them. VERY evocative of every Fantasy novel I've read where protagonists travel by foot :) A challenge for a game though.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #58 on: December 11, 2006, 03:02:14 AM

In general I like the new changes.  Being able to use reaction abilities on grey mobs is logical and removes one of the major flaws I saw in the game.

The food drops for increasing out of combat power and morale regeneration are wonderful, it speeds combat up a lot by cutting unneeded downtime, great change.  There seems to be more unique armour sets, I obtained a spider slaying axe and a 2-handed Orc slaying hammer, the blue glow when near those types of creatures is a very nice change but the glow effect needs a bit of work.

The Auction house is nice but needs more filters so I don't have to see the crap standard items that some people insist on trying to sell, it also needs the ability to choose not to see the items that are kinship restricted.

Trait progress is now a bar instead of a numbered countdown, that's nice and all but there needs to be some way of ensuring you are actually progressing in a skill, either the bar needs to be much larger so you can detect a difference or there needs to be a visual clue that it's moved.  On the same subject a daily limit on trait skill progress is annoying and not needed, they are traits, you don't limit level progression so why limit trait progression, that's flat out stupid.

Not tried dueling, not my thing, but it's nice to have extra content for those that like it.  I'd add trait skill up progression to dueling just to shut the anti duel idiots up and it actually makes sense to increase your combat skills via sparring as with UO.

I have quite a bit of spare time at the moment and will have for the next couple of months.  But the fact that I have leveled one character to 40, another to 43 and I'm still playing after the 2nd character wipe, just goes to show I'm really enjoying the game.

A lot is going to depend on not doing anything stupid with the current leveling system, such as making it longer or removing more quests (that Dwarf provisioner in North Downs has gone he had a good 6 or so quests).  I still think the monster play will have a dramatic effect on the long term appeal of the game, especially in Europe but there's a reasonable chance in my view of this being a major hit.  The 1 million subscription producer comment that I was laughing at a few months ago doesn't seem that far fetched at present.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: What is good about this game?  
Jump to: