Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:49:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Gears of War Gameplay Video (New, We Think...) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gears of War Gameplay Video (New, We Think...)  (Read 29197 times)
ForumBot 0.8 beta
Terracotta Army

on: October 23, 2006, 04:18:02 AM

Gears of War Gameplay Video (New, We Think...)

One of the perks of spending too much money is getting stuff that doesn't normally get handed out. Like this Gears of War video. I couldn't find it posted anywhere else, enjoy! And yes, we were too afraid to put up the hi-res version we made.

Some of the language is NSFW, so don't turn those speakers up.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 04:32:30 AM

Bunkers.

I like it.

[edit]

No, "bunker" isn't the right word. I'll just say "lots of duck and cover".

Either way, these type of firefights are a novel idea in shooters for some reason. I don't see enough of it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 04:42:42 AM by Stray »
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 07:47:16 AM

The guy actually playing got the shit shot out of himself.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 12:27:00 PM

As bad as that player was, I'd be worse with thumbsticks :P

Looks like a fun shooter, too bad it's for a console. You can see some of that fun-lovin' jerky thumbstick aiming in the video, even. *yawn*
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 12:45:28 PM

I don't see how it'd be any better without gamepad or on a PC. That kind of 3rd person, duck and cover/back to the wall gameplay requires a lot of simultaneous button pushing (for leaning against walls, switching perspective, firing weapons, tossing grenades).

If they did port it to the PC, they'd be better off converting it to FPS -- thereby making a completely different game (the very thing happened to an extent with the new Ghost Recon).

[edit] Clarified something. Maybe.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 12:55:28 PM by Stray »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 01:42:46 PM

I don't see how it'd be any better without gamepad or on a PC.
Aiming with a mouse. I don't really want to open up the can of worms, I just saw the overshoot thing in the video. And of course, dropping my 2¢ of regret about what looks like a fun game.

I think the third person thing would be fine on a pc, especially with the aiming in first person view.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 01:45:39 PM

Hey, it's cool. You suck with a gamepad. Like I've said, I'm much better with a mouse, but I'm not missing a good experience because I refuse to adapt.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 01:57:37 PM

Haven't watched the whole thing yet, but from the beginning it looks like the IGN video from the X06 event.

Better quality version though  Heart

I've probably mentioned this before, but the co-op mode on this game is making it a must buy for me.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 02:21:40 PM

Now that does look like a 360 killer app. It should sell quite well. The voice of the main character was Bender from Futurama, John Di Maggio.

Strazos

Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 04:17:42 PM

The whole third person thing on a PC is a red herring; it was already done with Max Payne, or even Tomb Raider if you want to go That far back.

Looks like another great game from Epic. Color me "Not Surprised."

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 04:24:49 PM

The whole third person thing on a PC is a red herring; it was already done with Max Payne, or even Tomb Raider if you want to go That far back.

My point was more about the covering and ducking whilst aiming and using pressure sensitive grenade buttons more than it was about the third person perspective.

Max Payne is nothing like this. Max Payne has some ducking, but it plays out more like an FPS (lots of strafing and jumping). I don't recall any kind of gameplay in Max Payne where you had to put your back to walls and shit.
Strazos

Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 05:17:02 PM

It wouldn't even make a difference. You would hit whatever key(s) that you have bound to the "sticky cover" function, and continue to control your movement along the cover with WASD and your reticle with the mouse. Not even close to being difficult.

The nade thing? Um...just aim your throw just like every over game. This game would work perfectly fine on a PC using KB/Mouse.

Fear the Backstab!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 05:27:52 PM

Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

I have nothing against it being played on a PC. I just don't see it as being the best tool for the job (some games I would find better suited for PC). I may or may not be wrong about that, but I find it's a better criteria for choosing control schemes than some unwavering sense of "tech prejudice".

i.e. This is a pointless argument, because I know you'll choose a PC version of a game over any other platform. That this conversation actually has nothing to do with control schemes.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 05:31:08 PM by Stray »
Strazos

Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 05:57:30 PM

Has nothing to do with "tech prejudice" - I would just rather not hamper myself in a game that seems to require quick, accurate, pin-point control with a control scheme that doesn't neccessarily lend itself to that.

Also, there are definately some games that I would not play on a PC; mainly fighting and sports games, certain types of RPGs, probably platformers...can't think of any others.

Fear the Backstab!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 06:06:08 PM

My point was more about the covering and ducking whilst aiming and using pressure sensitive grenade buttons more than it was about the third person perspective.
Right cause there aren't any PC FPSes where you have to crouch or fall prone or use cover rolleyes

Max Payne is nothing like this. Max Payne has some ducking, but it plays out more like an FPS (lots of strafing and jumping). I don't recall any kind of gameplay in Max Payne where you had to put your back to walls and shit.
Putting your back against the wall is just an animation effect -- your bounding box is really no smaller than if you just stood your character against the wall. And there were PC FPSes where keeping against cover was about the only way to stay alive including the Rainbow 6 series. In fact me and my clan mates spent so much time hugging the walls while playing coop in Rogue Spear that somebody came up with a locker room-type term for it which I won't print here.

Based on that clip overhead suppression-style firing is about the only new thing the game is bringing to the genre in terms of combat gameplay.
Strazos

Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 06:13:57 PM

Speaking of the suppression fire, it looks as if in the video, unless you are in "First-Person" aiming mode, you don't get a reticle to aim with, which I think is a nice touch.

Then again, I may have missed it because it's a low-rez video.

Fear the Backstab!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #16 on: October 23, 2006, 06:14:21 PM

Right cause there aren't any PC FPSes where you have to crouch or fall prone or use cover rolleyes

I didn't say there wasn't, but I definitely don't see many maps/levels built for that kind of combat (even if those actions are included in a game). Call of Duty was a recent one that did it well, I guess, but many FPS's still encourage strafe/run/hop Doom gameplay, as far defense goes.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #17 on: October 23, 2006, 06:21:50 PM

I didn't say there wasn't, but I definitely don't see many maps/levels built for that kind of combat (even if those actions are included in a game). Call of Duty was a recent one that did it well, I guess, but many FPS's still encourage strafe/run/hop Doom gameplay, as far defense goes.
It depends on how "deadly" the weapons are. The more deadly they are the less running and gunning you see. The Rainbow 6 series is at one extreme while Quake/UT is at the other. Counter-Strike is closer to the Rainbow 6 side as is BF 2.
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 23, 2006, 10:06:08 PM

I'm not sure what was worse: the voice acting or the dialog.  I don't think they could have added another cliche if they tried.

It looked cool but who the hell thought diving and tumbling should be faster than walking/running and which genius gave AI the ability to run ahead or to throw grenades.  I wonder how many times they had to reload to shoot that sequence?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #19 on: October 23, 2006, 10:34:24 PM

It looked cool but who the hell thought diving and tumbling should be faster than walking/running
Presumably the same person who thought it was cool looking to constantly smack your back up against objects.
schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: October 24, 2006, 12:20:00 AM

I'm not sure what was worse: the voice acting or the dialog. I don't think they could have added another cliche if they tried.

It looked cool but who the hell thought diving and tumbling should be faster than walking/running and which genius gave AI the ability to run ahead or to throw grenades. I wonder how many times they had to reload to shoot that sequence?

In what game is tumbling and diving not faster than running or walking to get behind cover? It's about becoming a harder target to hit. In which case it's not only safer, but simply better.

The voice acting and the dialogue are better than anything else I've seen Epic put out. So uh, yea.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 24, 2006, 06:46:50 AM

It's not that I suck with thumbsticks, though I am out of practice these days. I graduated second in my class from Goldeneye U. It's that they are an inferior control scheme. There is no debate here, you may prefer them, but they are inferior. You can't spin around as fast, you can't aim as tightly. Period.

I think NOLF2 had wall-backing, I know Thief 3 had it. Also, Splinter Cell. GoW has some nice graphics, and a nice collection of moves, but it does look like a pretty linear shooter.
schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: October 24, 2006, 06:51:39 AM

Of course thumbsticks are inferior! Anyone saying otherwise is a donk. That's not the point.

If the game is designed around them and you aren't playing the game competitively, there's no reason whatsoever to say "Keyboard/Mouse or Bust, Motherfucker!" That's just borderline stupid. Missing out on a solid gaming experience because you're some sort of 104-key elitist prick. BTW, Sky, that wasn't really directed at you one bit.

Tons of shit had wall back. But Splinter, NOLF, and such were not designed for the same type of gameplay. At the end of the day, they're all some sort of run and gun. Well, not Splinter Cell. That's actually more of a "Ok, get as close as you can. NOW, NOW, PRESS THE MIDDLE MOUSE BUTTON BEFORE HE TURNS AROUND!"

I'm fairly confident that GoW multiplayer is going to be strategic as a motherfucker.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 24, 2006, 09:32:29 AM

Missing out on a solid gaming experience because you're some sort of 104-key elitist prick. BTW, Sky, that wasn't really directed at you one bit.
Heh. Plenty of gaming to go around, and I'm too old to try an not be elitist anymore. I am what I am.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #24 on: October 24, 2006, 10:44:25 AM

That game definitely looks like something I want to own, and I may break down and pick up a 360 this winter as the one console, afterall, it's been a year right?

Quick question for those in the know, I read that it has coop, is this only same-room coop or can I play this coop with my bud across the country just like he was in the room with me?
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 24, 2006, 12:21:53 PM

From what I've read, co-op is splitscreen or XBL.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Strazos

Reply #26 on: October 24, 2006, 05:45:44 PM

I hear that in co-op mode, you can have people join and leave whenever you like - you get home, and see your buddy is online, and is playing through the campaign? You can join up with him (or so I hear).

Fear the Backstab!
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #27 on: October 25, 2006, 04:59:11 AM

I hear that in co-op mode, you can have people join and leave whenever you like - you get home, and see your buddy is online, and is playing through the campaign? You can join up with him (or so I hear).

Damn.  That's exactly what I"ve been looking for from console online services.
schild
Administrator

Reply #28 on: October 25, 2006, 05:00:38 AM

That's kinda how the PSU stuff works. Though I couldn't figure it out, some dude came into my instance and things adjusted and he joined my group.

Then I kicked him cuz I had no clue who he was. The game kicked him into his own instance and out of mine. Was pretty awesome.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 25, 2006, 08:17:48 AM

Basically, the two main characters are together for the whole game. Single player you play the one, when a buddy joins, they just take over the other guy. When one leaves, the AI takes over. Simple system.

I'm not much of a deathmatch person and never play any games on XBL with random strangers, so being able to play a co-op mode without starting up a brand new game, is a definite plus for me.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #30 on: October 25, 2006, 07:09:37 PM

Hey, I remember this game when it was called Kill Switch!

Weak sauce. You people are excited about this piece of shit?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #31 on: October 25, 2006, 07:12:17 PM

This piece of shit? Yea, that's what Epic is known for...
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #32 on: October 25, 2006, 07:19:57 PM

This piece of shit? Yea, that's what Epic is known for...
Gotta make a dud sometime. Nevermind that dud has already happened as far as I'm concerned, since UT2k3 sucked.

Watch some of the Kill Switch gameplay vids and tell me this game is innovative past the shiny.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: October 25, 2006, 07:29:59 PM

I never said it was innovative. I just said it looked pretty fun awesome.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #34 on: October 25, 2006, 07:36:38 PM

I never said it was innovative. I just said it looked pretty fun awesome.
I agree it does look fun but since they've already said they are coming out with a PC version I'll just wait for that unless there's some truly awesome Xbox 360-only game that comes out between releases.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Gears of War Gameplay Video (New, We Think...)  
Jump to: