Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:48:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Gears of War Gameplay Video (New, We Think...) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gears of War Gameplay Video (New, We Think...)  (Read 29158 times)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #35 on: October 25, 2006, 07:44:52 PM

I don't think UT2k3 was so much of a dud as it was simply overshadowed by 2k4.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #36 on: October 25, 2006, 07:54:14 PM

What? They've sauid they aren't coming out with a PC version. They are coming out with a PC version of UT2k7 though.

Edit: Straz, they made UT2k4 because UT2k3 sucked balls.
Strazos

Reply #37 on: October 25, 2006, 08:05:52 PM

Well, I will admit that I never bought 2k3, though I didn't have a problem with the demo.

And speaking of the upcoming 2k7, word is that Epic is dialing down the crazy aerial movement rates and such. Not only do I think this is a good move for the series, but it may also lend itself better to producing interesting modern/near-future mods.

I just wish they would kill the fucking Translocator already. Fuck that thing, and the stupid macroed hyper-movement "you can't hit me because I am neither here nor there" bullshit.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #38 on: October 25, 2006, 08:53:05 PM

What? They've sauid they aren't coming out with a PC version. They are coming out with a PC version of UT2k7 though.
Well too bad for me then unless like I said something else comes out for the Xbox 360 that I really want. My problem with shooters on consoles ignoring things like the lack of precision and rediculously slow turn speeds is that my brain was wired at a very young age to respond to a joystick in a first person game like you would use it in a flight simulator, as in pulling the stick down moves the view (nose of the plane) "up" and pushing the stick up moves the view (nose) down. The mouse is different enough from a joystick that I was able to retrain my brain with a lot of effort to use the default controls in FPSes (move mouse up to look up). Unfortunately with thumbsticks in a shooter my joystick wiring conflicts with my mouse wiring and I get all fucked up while playing.
schild
Administrator

Reply #39 on: October 25, 2006, 09:03:09 PM

Something will come out for the 360 that you want.

It's a guarantee.
Strazos

Reply #40 on: October 25, 2006, 09:09:58 PM

Mass Effect good. No money bad.

Fear the Backstab!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #41 on: October 25, 2006, 09:27:47 PM

Mass Effect good. No money bad.
Yes I bought an Xbox to play Jade Empire. It could be the same for Mass Effect. Fortunately BioShock *is* coming out for the PC so I don't have to worry about that game.
schild
Administrator

Reply #42 on: October 25, 2006, 09:49:07 PM

I would make a bet but it's not worth it. The 360 will get a better version of Bioshock. Also, it's getting assassins creed.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #43 on: October 25, 2006, 10:15:55 PM

I know nothing of Bioshock yet. It could very well be another Deus Ex 2. Or worse, that new Shadowrun thing. I won't fall back on nostalgia.

Assassin's Creed is one of the only future titles I'm truly being wowed by, and that'll be for PS3 as well.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 10:17:26 PM by Stray »
schild
Administrator

Reply #44 on: October 25, 2006, 11:57:13 PM

PS3 doesn't have achievements. Basically, and as ridiculous as it sounds - the 360 is guaranteed every bit of my crossplatform love. Every single bit of it.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #45 on: October 26, 2006, 01:21:27 AM

If any other games are an indication (finding GTA or THPS hidden areas, for example), then I'll probably never keep track of "achievements".

Or is it somehow more interesting than that? I figured I'd stop playing Assassin's Creed once I finished the story.

[EDIT] If I can unlock the equivalent of that silly striptease scene in Fahrenheit, except with Jade Raymond.....Then achievements could be worth it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 01:27:56 AM by Stray »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #46 on: October 26, 2006, 06:52:55 AM

I just wish they would kill the fucking Translocator already. Fuck that thing, and the stupid macroed hyper-movement "you can't hit me because I am neither here nor there" bullshit.
Agreed. Hated it when it was first a mod to Quake, hated it in UT. Iirc, you could play on non-TL servers.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #47 on: October 26, 2006, 06:58:22 AM

What? They've said they aren't coming out with a PC version. They are coming out with a PC version of UT2k7 though.
Well too bad for me then unless like I said something else comes out for the Xbox 360 that I really want. My problem with shooters on consoles ignoring things like the lack of precision and ridiculously slow turn speeds is that my brain was wired at a very young age to respond to a joystick in a first person game like you would use it in a flight simulator, as in pulling the stick down moves the view (nose of the plane) "up" and pushing the stick up moves the view (nose) down. The mouse is different enough from a joystick that I was able to retrain my brain with a lot of effort to use the default controls in FPSes (move mouse up to look up). Unfortunately with thumbsticks in a shooter my joystick wiring conflicts with my mouse wiring and I get all fucked up while playing.

Can't you invert the settings on most console FPS's?

Personally, I got pissed off when I realized that my aiming on the console involved: setting the cursor to the right height, then strafing until something was under the cursor.  Seemed very stupid compared to the awesomeness that is mouse/keyboard aiming.  The Wii comes closest I think to making me give FPS's a go again, but I keep hearing rumors that the 360 is going to get a keyboard/mouse and that Sony lets you use a keyboard/mouse for the PS3 for web browsing that will undoubtedly be used for gaming.
Strazos

Reply #48 on: October 26, 2006, 07:09:38 AM

Agreed. Hated it when it was first a mod to Quake, hated it in UT. Iirc, you could play on non-TL servers.

Yeah, I know...but those servers were few and far between.

Fear the Backstab!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #49 on: October 26, 2006, 07:18:37 AM

You can on some but my problem is I want to do both at the same time -- i.e. part of my brain thinks I'm controlling a joystick (cause I am) and the other part thinks I'm playing a 3D shooter (ditto) so it always takes me extra time to figure out if I'm supposed to move it up or down.

Edit: and whichever way I set it (joystck-style or mouse-style) always feels "unnatural".
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 07:22:36 AM by Trippy »
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #50 on: October 26, 2006, 09:10:41 AM

You can on some but my problem is I want to do both at the same time -- i.e. part of my brain thinks I'm controlling a joystick (cause I am) and the other part thinks I'm playing a 3D shooter (ditto) so it always takes me extra time to figure out if I'm supposed to move it up or down.

Edit: and whichever way I set it (joystck-style or mouse-style) always feels "unnatural".

I know the exact feeling.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #51 on: October 26, 2006, 11:00:13 AM

PS3 doesn't have achievements. Basically, and as ridiculous as it sounds - the 360 is guaranteed every bit of my crossplatform love. Every single bit of it.

I will still buy FPS games on my PC. I just enjoy using the mouse and keyboard better. I feel I am more in control of my actions, and that makes me enjoy the game better. But for pretty much every thing else, I will get on Xbox360.

I am stoked that Assassins Creed is coming to 360. Now I have 0 reason to get a PS3.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: October 27, 2006, 12:57:34 AM

"Spinning around fast" in PC FPS games is really lame.

I'm not a huge fan of realism for the sake of realism but I hate the way PC FPS games control. Like you are an intertialess hovercraft. That is why those games always look idiotic when viewed from a 3rd person perspective. Someone runs as fast as they can in one direction will spinning all around and such, it's just goofy.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #53 on: October 27, 2006, 06:13:07 AM

"Spinning around fast" in PC FPS games is really lame.
Yes, because nobody can turn around quickly when they hear someone with a chaingun coming up behind them.

"Say, old chap. Did you hear a bit of the ratta-tat? Mayhaps I'll just turn around in a bit and see if that bloke has seen me yet. No rush."
schild
Administrator

Reply #54 on: October 27, 2006, 06:48:34 AM

See, the moment we start talking about unrealistic mechanics like whipping around on a perfect horizontal plane with incredible speed is the moment you ask yourself why that chaingun didn't kill you before you know what happened. And the moment you ask that, you have to ask why the handgun can't kill you, in all but a few games, with a headshot. And then you devolve and play Bushido Blade - the game where a sword slice can outright kill you. Basically "Spinning around fast on FPS games is really lame," is something of a fallacy. None of these games are at all realistic beyond bullets actually coming out of a gun and shooting aliens. That aliens part is suspect though. Oh, btw, I'm blasted.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Gears of War Gameplay Video (New, We Think...)  
Jump to: