Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:35:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Just WTF. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just WTF.  (Read 3630 times)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

on: October 21, 2006, 08:48:10 PM

W T F

This Fall, Marvel Comics and Procter & Gamble Productions are teaming up to bring to life the first comic book/soap opera crossover! As Guiding Light debuts a brand new super hero ON CBS Wednesday, November 1st, some of Guiding Light’s most popular characters interact with some of comic’s most famous characters in the pages of Marvel comics.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 08:56:40 PM

Wtf indeed.

Is there some large segment of Guiding Light viewers that's actually interested in comics? Or vice versa? Why would they do this? I'm sure a lot of housewives have kids at home with them when they watch this -- Is this some way to bring the two together?

I probably shouldn't dissect it too much.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 11:25:55 AM

It's real simple. Comics sales SUCK MONKEY NUTS. Even the best sellers nowadays do not match the sales figures of the comics from the days before the speculator bust of the '90's. As a result, the comics have to do as much as they can to draw some temprorary interest, something the mainstream media can cover for a week before they go back to forgetting about comics until the next publicity stunt. It's all about the press event, just like revealing Spider-Man's identity, or making Batwoman or Two-Gun Kid gay. Monthly comics don't make them money, I'm not even sure they break even. It's all about licensing and cross promotion and branding now. Quesada is one of the most blatant at it as well. I honestly long for the days when Jemas, douchebag that he was, acted as a counterbalance to Joe Q.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 01:17:10 PM

Monthly comics don't make them money, I'm not even sure they break even.

I think Marvel typically breaks even on most of their books, partly due to the fact that they charge $3-4 an issue, and I think partly due to the graphic novel market expanding.  I don't know if this is still the case, but DC (being owned by WB) used to be able to take a loss on some of their books and I guess WB figured they'd make the money back with Batman movies and the like.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 08:08:10 AM

Just read the Civil War Choosing Sides issue with the Guiding Light stuff in it.

You remember those old lame PSA type of comics they'd hand out with handy kid messages like "Don't do Drugs" and "Brush your teeth?" Yeah, it's that kind of lame. Shit shit shitty shit shit shit.

But I'll be Tivoing the GL episode on Wednesday because I'm curious and I apparently love a diet of shit.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 08:42:17 AM

Just read the Civil War Choosing Sides issue with the Guiding Light stuff in it.

You remember those old lame PSA type of comics they'd hand out with handy kid messages like "Don't do Drugs" and "Brush your teeth?" Yeah, it's that kind of lame. Shit shit shitty shit shit shit.

But I'll be Tivoing the GL episode on Wednesday because I'm curious and I apparently love a diet of shit.

My favorite of the PSA comics was the one where Peter Paker revealed that he was sexually molested by an older friend of his.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 08:54:48 AM

His Spider-sense didn't go off.

On further reflection, I'm going to skip the Guiding Light thing. I'd feel all dirty if I fell for such an obvious whore ploy.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 09:23:12 AM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 10:19:09 AM

That is incredibly gay, even gayer than a gay pride parade through the middle of gaytown.

Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 04:45:54 AM

Wow.  That's so terribly bad, it's good.  I felt embarrassed just watching it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 06:03:19 AM

Guiding Light has superheroes? Can I start with that? Isn't it daytime television?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Just WTF.  
Jump to: