Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:11:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Character Wipe 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Character Wipe  (Read 20756 times)
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

on: October 20, 2006, 02:48:47 PM

http://beta.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=67652#post67652

Greetings!

Thanks again to all of you for participating in the LOTRO Beta Program. You’ve probably noticed that we’ve been updating the game every two weeks, and this coming Thursday, October 26 is no exception. This update requires us to do the first character wipe since the Beta Program began.

Something that many people have been looking forward to will be going live in this next update – the Ered Luin starter experiences for elves and dwarves will be available! We’re really excited about this, and hope you like them.

The team thought it would be fun to have a “farewell” party for everyone before the wipe, so meet us at the Party Tree at 8PM eastern on Wednesday, October 25th for some fun! Admins will be on hand to give away items and perhaps wreak a little havoc in the Shire.  Hope to see you there!

-Meghan

Ho Hum :(
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 03:21:24 PM

I am secretly glad. I decided that I hate my dwarf and will now be forced to reroll. May try a new class too...maybe Captain or Guardian.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 03:48:28 PM

I guess I'll reroll my Captain, and actually name him Strazos this time.

At least from what I played, I did not like burglers in this game. Which is a shame, because I usually like rogues.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 04:01:48 PM

I'll probably make a dwarf minstrel named "Spoony".  Hunters, loremasters and burglars seem too gimpy to even bother with.  From what little I played of a burglar, it was painfully boring.

-Rasix
WayAbvPar

Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 04:02:48 PM

Rogue classes are traditionally the last to get love in these games it seems. Although the Loremaster was in dire need of some attention last time I played one as well...

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Strazos

Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 04:48:02 PM

I kind of liked the idea of the channled dots that Loremasters have...they were just very weak, and most of their other lowbie spells were fairly useless.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
WayAbvPar

Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 04:56:19 PM

The problem with the channeled DOTs is that they were your primary attack for the most part, and you couldn't use any other powers while using it. It needs to be an instant, or A LOT more powerful/damaging.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 04:57:21 PM

Damn.  I was going to make a dwarf named Spoony, too!  undecided  And one named Forky.  And Spatula!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 05:00:46 PM

I'm hoping they add race traits this build, class traits make a big difference to your more powerful skills later on.  There's a slight UO feel to getting class traits based on your skill usage which I hope they expand on.  Think I'm going to create another Guardian, not keen on being nerfed again and it's probably the safest.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 07:27:40 PM

Damn.  I was going to make a dwarf named Spoony, too!  undecided  And one named Forky.  And Spatula!

Did you get the joke and are just being Signe?  I'm not trying to be insulting, I'm really curious.  I might even explain it to you.

I like the idea of handing out items prior to a character wipe.  Kinda sums up the whole of MMORPG history in one nice GM event that I probably will miss.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 09:43:46 PM

Entire thing feels like Asherons Call 2.  And just like AC2, I WANT to be there, I want to enjoy it. I WANT to ignore my kids for it; but something is missing.

Maybe its grammar snake.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 09:47:23 PM

Did you get the joke and are just being Signe?  I'm not trying to be insulting, I'm really curious.  I might even explain it to you.

I like the idea of handing out items prior to a character wipe.  Kinda sums up the whole of MMORPG history in one nice GM event that I probably will miss.

I do and I am. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 01:53:42 PM

I don't and I'm not.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #13 on: October 21, 2006, 01:55:44 PM

I can't and I wish I was.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 21, 2006, 08:06:43 PM

I want to try something that doesn't fill me with frustration.  I.e, the fotm class.

Which is that one, now?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15 on: October 21, 2006, 08:35:20 PM

I want to try something that doesn't fill me with frustration.  I.e, the fotm class.

Which is that one, now?
At the moment I would say Guardian or Minstrel. They might be making a number of balance changes with this upcoming patch, though, so that could change.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #16 on: October 21, 2006, 11:43:28 PM

Even post-nerf, my guardian is pretty impenetrable.  Even with vendor equipment.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 08:49:20 AM

How are captains?
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 22, 2006, 12:40:58 PM

Captain seems pretty solid.  I was killing same level elites,  mobs a couple levels higher, or multiple mobs on mine.  Only leveled to 15 though.

The lore-master has uninteresting combat.  Debuff pull, cast dot, sic pet, cast dot, maybe staff mob once.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), I have no experience with the rest of the classes.
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 22, 2006, 05:14:00 PM

Did Captains get a boost?  They were second most boring next to Loremasters when I tried one out (only to level 10 though).

Looking forward to new starting zones though.

I hope they don't wipe when they go live - that would be a fair reward for testing
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #20 on: October 24, 2006, 03:28:00 AM

I reached the current level cap of 40 on Saturday and have been messing about a bit.

Some random thoughts.

As a Level 40 Guardian I can solo a level 42 and a level 43 at the same time, couldn't handle a third mob even blowing all my timers.

Nice items that drop and are level 41 restricted are really annoying.  They need a lot more loot and they need it for each level not just in 2-3 level steps.

Soloing grey elites takes way way too long as you can't use your special abilities, items wear out too fast.  Visting grey instances such as the one in north downs are very good for jewelry items from the chests, I expect them to be farmed quite a bit.  Named Elites in instances seem to drop a predictable range of items like WoW, I hate that and would prefer it to be random, otherwise there becomes a set "best" item for each slot at each level for each class and a defined way of obtaining it.  In a game that suffers from a lack of customised character options I don't see the logic in encouraging players to obtain the same items.

It's very nice that mobs drop items based on what you would expect them to drop, animals drop hide etc, if you want armour and weapons then expect to hunt humans, orcs, goblins or undead.  That's logical and I approve, but as the crafting system kinda blows at the minute getting aggro from animals at level 40 is a pain in the arse as they won't drop anything useful.  I expect the real cap of level 50 to suffer the same, so crafting is going to have to make extensive use of animal drops or all the non-animal spawns will be camped.  I really like the fact that there's a mob of a detached undead arm and the only things lootable from them are rings.

Conjunctions seem a bit flakey, spent quite a while in a couple of groups and either players take ages to pick a colour for a conjunction or the system still needs a bit of work.  Successful conjunctions seem to reduce the need for parties to be made up of specific classes, so that's nice but starting conjunctions appears random, I'd prefer some player choice/skill to be involved.

I found a hole in the zone in the Misty mountains, was able to walk around the outside of zones really far up in the sky.  They seem to have built an awful lot of land area that won't be used, far to the north east of Ered Luin you can see river beds, it's all without textures but the land mass of middle earth is well defined.  Angmar has had some nice work done on zone music and the colour of the sky changes to black smoke with volcanic traces, it also seems to have an area that restricts visibility, I couldn't see much on the ground.

I made it over to Ered Luin, there's a massive Dwarf statue in Thorgin's gate, I couldn't reach the ground so again it was hard to see much detail.

At the minute LOTRO looks like it will suffer from the same problems as WoW, the leveling up process with faster exp is quite enjoyable but at max level it's going to turn into raids for better items.  Crafting is a bare bones system that needs a lot of improvement and no idea what pvp is going to be like, especially as so many classes have aggro handling skills as part of their limited skill set, so pvp combat might be even simplier than pve.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 24, 2006, 07:42:27 PM

There's a character wipe in 2 days? Crap! My level 8 Champion was getting on a roll!

I don't understand this need to stretch out the leveling experience - why does it have to take 6 months to a year to max out? What's wrong with reaching max level in a month or two?

I say the leveling experience should be there to teach you how to play your class. Once you hit max level you should be into the main course of the game. And! If you do that, you can develop 90% of your content to that max level and max level groups (raids, areas, quests, whatever).

Anyways - I'm having fun, but it really is WoW with a slightly different setting and graphics style. But I haven't played all that much, so maybe there's something amazing out there that's just so much better than WoW but I haven't seen it yet. (Even crafting is the same! It's almost the same exact interface!)

- Viin
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #22 on: October 24, 2006, 09:18:03 PM

For me, its as good as WoW, but without the moronic insulting infantile cartoon graphics, so I like it better. Plus, there seems to be a bit more skill involved with fighting, and the different combat combos I can do as a Hunter in LoTR are more interesting than anything I could do in WoW.

That said, the graphic animations need work, lots of work.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #23 on: October 25, 2006, 06:54:45 AM

As much as I liked WoW's improvements to MOG quests, I like LOTRO's improvements to WoW's quests.  I'm not under any sort of illusion as to what sort of game this is, and taken as a formulaic offering I find it rather nice.  I hope that the jackass ratio stays low after retail, because I like that a lot.  I'd like it to stay PvE, but peer pressure is a bitch.

I actually find it more similar to EQ2 than WoW, but using the best bits from both can only be good.  I have also had a couple "Ah, neat" moments and I haven't even gotten past level ten, so there is definite potential.  I never once said "Ah, neat" when testing Asheron's Call.

I believe that they are going to have a new crafting system in place after the wipe... did I read that in the notes?

Also: the constellations are in accordance with the lore.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #24 on: October 25, 2006, 09:12:02 AM

Constellations? Splain plz.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #25 on: October 25, 2006, 09:21:01 AM

In the olden days, people would pass the time by imagining shapes in the patterns of stars in the heavens.  These are called constellations, and are given common names since apparently lots of people could see a big question mark in the sky.  The fake sky in the simulated Middle-Earth closely resembles the real sky in Middle Earth.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #26 on: October 25, 2006, 09:25:20 AM

Oh, heh heh. Thought you meant some obstrues game mechanic.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #27 on: October 25, 2006, 12:39:10 PM

Any chance to be a jerk, I'll take it.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 25, 2006, 08:25:57 PM

On quests:

Some really interesting stuff here.  I only just hit the Shire for the first time,  and there appear to be lots of quests in the non-combat vein.  The "collect eggs and avoid the rooster" one,  "deliver mail and avoid nosey hobbits", and "deliver pie and dodge hungry hobbits" ones....  as well as the "deliver water to spring and avoid mobs in a time limit" one near Combe (I think).

I liked most of the "run over there and collect roses/athelas/Preparation H" quests. 

I'd like to see more of this kind of quest,  less "kill X number of mob Y" unless it makes sense.  Killing some wolves to get pelts for a fur trapper is fine,  randomly killing 10 wild hogs for the Constable feels out-of-place.

Nice touchs on the dynamic quest items.  Make them more available through other means (stealth in to get Brigands Secret Diary after luring off the stealth-detecting guard, or some such).

On combat:

As a two-handed Captain, it was alright.  Your toon feels fairly tough for his level,  not like some games where you see an even con coming and you need to back off. The basics feel pretty solid

As Engels said,  needs more color/snazz.  More animations, flashier moves or effects.  If I hit a mob with a Captain shout/Minst song,  make him cover his ears for a second.  I use the captain's haste-thingy,  blur me a bit.

Give the impression that the abilities are doing what they claim.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #29 on: October 26, 2006, 01:17:07 PM

Hopefully, this phase will include yet another round of beta invites....
I mean got a new dual core box to test on and everything, but noooo, more Oblivian for me.
Not that Im bitter.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Strazos

Reply #30 on: October 28, 2006, 06:28:59 AM

Well, seems I will not be playing this at all for the time being.

I got through the tutorial fine with my new toon, but once I got into Archet, the game started to crash...violently. First it locks up, then I lose the video feed, then I get a hit-pitch whine out of my speakers. Only resetting the system from my tower itself fixes the problem. I've tried twice to play, with the same exact result both times.

Oh well.

Fear the Backstab!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #31 on: October 28, 2006, 07:39:45 AM

Well, seems I will not be playing this at all for the time being.

I got through the tutorial fine with my new toon, but once I got into Archet, the game started to crash...violently. First it locks up, then I lose the video feed, then I get a hit-pitch whine out of my speakers. Only resetting the system from my tower itself fixes the problem. I've tried twice to play, with the same exact result both times.

Oh well.
If you can get to the options screen try turning down all the graphics settings.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #32 on: October 28, 2006, 09:29:16 AM

Could also be an audio setting. Set it to whatever option isn't currently selected. My game was using the Nvidia audio drivers, and when I switched it to Hardware instead, it sounded a thousand times better.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 28, 2006, 03:31:45 PM

Made Xanthippe the female man, today hate how she smirks.  She's becoming an elf today I think.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 28, 2006, 04:32:20 PM

Careful with the elf thing - folks are stuck in the tutorial mission.

- Viin
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Character Wipe  
Jump to: