Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:54:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: What's wrong with this game? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's wrong with this game?  (Read 34818 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #35 on: November 15, 2006, 08:34:55 AM

I keep making the observation that gravity in Middle Earth must be like the moon, or my character should be a pro NBA player as their hangtime in the air is just awesome.

If I'm in attack mode and jump, my weapons leave my avatar and float in the air beside me.

[EDIT]

Another thing (unrelated to the above):

Stone Trolls and Elephants should be the only races that "tank". I find it funny that they were so loyal to the property that they removed playable wizards, but yet, decided to maintain status quo and include "disloyal" ideas like the Guardian class. evil

Speaking of that, the entire class system is underwhelming, unvaried, and unimaginative.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 08:57:38 AM by Stray »
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: November 15, 2006, 09:00:36 AM

As I wander through the towns and countryside, I find myself thinking.. Boy I thought there were more spriggans in DAOC...

Of course I look at the character creator and think wow - they stole a lot of hair from WOW.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #37 on: November 15, 2006, 09:07:48 AM

They stole the interface from WoW too....Just made the borders much more bulkier (they should be toned down a bit...especially that mini map. It's HUGE.).

But like DDO, they still use plain Roman fonts (for the quest text and such). It looks as amateurish as a Linux app. Get some fancy Tolkien-ish fonts on this thing asap.

I won't knock them too much on how ugly the humans are. WoW's look like cleft lipped Chip 'n' Dale dancers.

And to further comment on the class system: Fuck, if you're going to take out magic wielding, you better make up for it in melee in a big way. "Tank", "Duel Wielder" and "Rogue" will not do.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 09:10:39 AM by Stray »
WayAbvPar

Reply #38 on: November 15, 2006, 09:09:38 AM

The influx of new players has really made crowding a bit of a problem, at least in Chetwood. The world suddenly feels a lot smaller, since there is a PC behind every bush now.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: November 15, 2006, 09:23:51 AM

Other observation: Is there a war on? I thought there was a war on. No one seems to be talking about it.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #40 on: November 15, 2006, 09:50:36 AM

All thse things are immaterial if they do not fix the graphics loading issue for me. It feels like Horizons all over again and that will just not fly.

Ostensibly this new patch will address some of that, but I do not have my hopes up.

I'm not running a sub-average machine;

AMD 64 3500+
1.5 gig of ram
Nvidia 7950
One SATA drive

Yes, I could have a faster processor, but I think I'm not behind the general population of gamers, especially in the video card dept, and yet, any other MMO out there runs five times more smoothly than this.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #41 on: November 15, 2006, 10:29:23 AM

You're machine is better than mine, but in the same "family" maybe?

Barton
1.5 RAM
Nvidia 6600GT OC'ed
SATA drives

Anyways, the game runs OK at High, but I have to turn AA off. I'm better off running it at Medium though.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #42 on: November 15, 2006, 10:33:52 AM

Intel Prentiss 3.0 (or is it 3.2?) CPU
2 gigs RAM
Radeon x1600 w/512 RAM
SATA

I run everything at full and have yet to receive a single hiccup.  Its perty!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #43 on: November 15, 2006, 10:47:41 AM

I pretty much run everything at max, too, and have no problems.  Now and then, if I play during prime time, I stagger a bit in towns if they're crowded.

AMD 64 3200
2 gig RAM
Nvidia 7800
Some generic POS drive that came in this generic POS eMachine computer

Mmmm... Malaysian fish cakes. 

Check your Karma!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #44 on: November 15, 2006, 10:53:17 AM

I'm running on a laptop that's good enough for EQ2 and Oblivion (the latter doesn't exactly look like the 360 version, naturally).  I've had some lag issues in populated areas or when I crest a hill and have a long vista, but it's not all that bad assuming there's debug code in there still.

AMD 64 3000+
1.5 gig of ram (maybe I need to ask for more for Xmas)
ATI 128 card (all in wonder?)
Hardware 3D only, which wasn't detected by the game at install.

I really enjoyed my first few hours of playtime.  While I'm sure there are still plenty of major issues, I'd have to say that the thing most "wrong" with it at this point is polish.  A lot of that stuff has been mentioned already, from the timing on the animations, to the lack of ambient sound in populated areas (especially during the day), there's lots of room for general improvement to what seems like a really fun "world" game.  At level 8, I don't even feel like I've had to fight that much, which is backed up by what seem like low numbers on my combat achievements, and the quest lines (for Hobbits, at least), seem to follow a nice progression through the Shire.  I almost feel like I make too much money from vendor trash, but I'm not gonna complain too loudly about that.  I'm not sure how the loretards (this from a guy who's guild since 99 is called Servants of the Secret Fire, which we're pretty sure we won't get this time around) are going to react to this game, but I think it's a sure bet to shatter the Britain Bank record for most awful name misspellings in MMOG screenshot history.

I did find one stellar bug this morning.  Apparently I forgot to bind when I got to the shire, so when I used the Map to go back to what I thought was Michel Delving, I wound up in Pre-Searing Archet.  It was all a bad dream!  Hooray!  The guards at the gates to Combe won't let me through til the Brigand issue is resolved!  But... but... Oh shit, I can't get out of here.

So I walk into a building, and sure enough it won't let me out.  General Error probably isn't there to hand over any prisoners to the Constable.  I logged the bug and just for fun typed /death.  I wind up outside of Archet, but this time there's a guy next to the graveyard who wants to tell me about crafting.  It's now Post-Searing again and I can walk to Combe, but I still have to run all the way back to Bag-End to continue questing. 

Side Note - I wanted to let the game tell me about crafting, without reading forums or whatever.  It wasn't until, at level 8, I tried to use a Forge in one of the Hobbit villages and it told me to go to Combe if I wanted to craft.  This should probably happen sooner (of course, I might the only person who would enjoy starting the game as a crafter and then falling into some kind of adventuring through storytelling, but like I said I'm sure that's just me).
WayAbvPar

Reply #45 on: November 15, 2006, 11:10:38 AM

Yeah, the crafting bits could really use some more detail. You can muddle through it, but it isn't terribly intuitive. I would like to see a rebalance of the professions too...some of them just seem slapped together for little reason.

Crafting is actually one of things I am interested in, which is strange to me. I like it that I can make something USEFUL right off the bat (still using the Rowan bow I made for myself, and made one for Furiously). Having an auction house will GREATLY increase both the utility and the profitability of the crafting professions.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #46 on: November 15, 2006, 11:23:28 AM

I pretty much run everything at max, too, and have no problems.  Now and then, if I play during prime time, I stagger a bit in towns if they're crowded.

AMD 64 3200
2 gig RAM
Nvidia 7800
Some generic POS drive that came in this generic POS eMachine computer

Mmmm... Malaysian fish cakes. 

Check your Karma!

That's really odd, because we have pretty similar machines, Signe, mine being a hair better than yours, yet I'm having a lot of texture loading stutter, no matter what settings I run the game at, even at low.

I've defragged my HD, I've even used that contiguous file defragmenter on the entire Turbine folder, and I'm still getting stuttered graphics loading.

Any tips Trippy or anyone else?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: November 15, 2006, 11:52:41 AM

Did someone think copying the sitting pose from DAOC was a good idea?

Sauced
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: November 15, 2006, 11:58:42 AM

For Male Hobbits, in particular?
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: November 15, 2006, 12:04:30 PM

Sorry - furry feet scare me - I couldnt make one. I should clarify - female sitting position for non-hobbits.

Sauced
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: November 15, 2006, 12:12:25 PM

Don't be sorry, I'm being confusing today.  I was actually agreeing with you, a follow up question to your original question, if you will.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: November 15, 2006, 12:46:51 PM

I need to roll up a female dwarf to see if they can have beards.  I always loved that. 

I'm enjoying the game so far, but can see why there may be some apprehension.  I'm not sure what my long-term goal in the game is (beyond having fun, of course).  I assume that this is another trip to some max level x followed by some large encounter scheme (raiding).  I enjoy the atmosphere but do have a couple of early complaints similar to those above:

1) The game is a bit bland.  It's pretty, but there's no sense of urgency. Aren't we pressing to deal with Sauron's army?  I don't feel the impending doom.  Perhaps it will get more evident when I get up a few levels... I'd like to feel it from the start though.

2) I don't feel like a hero.  I feel like a citizen with an attitude.  Kill some boars, kill some spiders, or fedEx this for me.  It's an old system, but it could really be used to generate some sense of heroism.  What about timed missions that people could actually fail

3) The intro jail thing had me feeling a lot more like a spectator than an active part.  I'd  love to be the one responsible for saving people and chasing off Sauron's minions.   

Granted, all of these points are pretty minor.  I'm hoping I'll have more constructive input as I get a bit more experienced.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #52 on: November 15, 2006, 01:00:33 PM

I don't know what it could be, Engels.  I had a problem with everything a while back, even sites such as f13, and found that it was some stupid bit torrent thing popping up and gobbling resources.  Other than that, this cheapo computer with a nice graphics card hasn't given me any problems running stuff so far.  I hardly ever defrag or clean up, either, although I did it recently for no reason.  The only thing I try to remember is Ad-Aware because it makes me feel good.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #53 on: November 15, 2006, 01:06:06 PM

Engels, your machine is better than mine, too.  Choppiness sounds like you have something running in the background.  This happens to me on occasion but usually goes away before I can be assed to figure out what it is.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
WayAbvPar

Reply #54 on: November 15, 2006, 01:08:32 PM

I get some serious lag when I first load the game, but then it smooths out. I still get major items (like Bree) that 'pop' into view when they should already be well within video range.

I will give you the age old advice from the WWIIOL forums when anyone had problems running their godawful bloated code- buy more RAM!  :-D

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #55 on: November 15, 2006, 01:25:02 PM

Sauced's post made me realize that I must have done something wrong on my last run through Archet as a hobbit.  I thought that several quests must have been yanked since I ended up with the invasion quest pretty quickly and didn't have anything else on my list, nor did I notice any more rings.  I went through the Archet-burns thing and popped up in Minor Delving, or whatever it's called.  After playing this game for so long, I still have never been to Combe for some reason.  No wonder I can't figure out what to do with my craft skills.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: November 15, 2006, 01:31:49 PM

Honestly, if I hadn't had the buggy experience this morning that basically put me right next to Combe (let alone the guy who gave me a quest to go there - I Repeat, this guy should be in Archet pre-burning), I'd still be clueless in the Shire.  At least, until I got into Bat Country later and gave in and asked for help.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: November 15, 2006, 03:39:18 PM

Oh - I've ran across 2 ruins that house brigands.

they look identical. (The one by Combe and the one near Combe in the hobbit direction.) If I notice and think..."Hmm - that seems lazy." most people will also.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #58 on: November 15, 2006, 04:16:20 PM

I get some serious lag when I first load the game, but then it smooths out. I still get major items (like Bree) that 'pop' into view when they should already be well within video range.

I will give you the age old advice from the WWIIOL forums when anyone had problems running their godawful bloated code- buy more RAM!  :-D

See, this is the wierd thing; HL2 runs like a dream. FEAR runs like a dream. Eve ran like a dream except for of course, those insta situations.

I just refuse to believe that this MMO, on LOW settings has load times issues whereas HL2 at uber max omfg ramped up graphics doesn't make my machine twitch.

I wonder if its as Signe suggests, some network connectivity issue. Any quick tests that I could run to see how bad a ping/latency/whathaveyou I may have getting out of my box and to the Arwen server?

Sauced
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: November 15, 2006, 06:16:29 PM

Ssss....tttt.r.reess....s.s.sss  tt.eess.t.ttting...g.. iii..s.ss.s.ss  ffffffu....nnnn.n.n...
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: November 15, 2006, 07:23:42 PM

Try Microsoft Flight Sim X on Super High if you wanna see a good machine break down and cry.

- Viin
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #61 on: November 15, 2006, 08:10:48 PM

See, this is the wierd thing; HL2 runs like a dream. FEAR runs like a dream. Eve ran like a dream except for of course, those insta situations.

I just refuse to believe that this MMO, on LOW settings has load times issues whereas HL2 at uber max omfg ramped up graphics doesn't make my machine twitch.
Except that those games are zoned while LOTRO is mostly seemless, so it has to stream world and texture data from disc to RAM and VRAM as you move around. That is why it "stutters" at times.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #62 on: November 15, 2006, 11:29:31 PM

My motherboard has two nic cards, one is a Yukon 100Mb the other is an Nvidia 1Gig. I was using the Yukon. I switched to the Nvidia 1gig and it seems to have fixed a lot of the stuttering. Not that my computer was actually pulling down anywhere near that type of bandwidth, since I get 6000 mb/s at the best of times, but I think the Nvidia card manages data better. The problems I was having are all but gone now, even at high settings.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #63 on: November 15, 2006, 11:46:45 PM

My motherboard has two nic cards, one is a Yukon 100Mb the other is an Nvidia 1Gig. I was using the Yukon. I switched to the Nvidia 1gig and it seems to have fixed a lot of the stuttering. Not that my computer was actually pulling down anywhere near that type of bandwidth, since I get 6000 mb/s at the best of times, but I think the Nvidia card manages data better. The problems I was having are all but gone now, even at high settings.
The game barely pulls down 4K a second in normal usage. It is not a bandwidth issue. I can clearly hear my hard drive trashing around everytime there's some graphics stuttering -- there's no question it's a hard drive streaming issue.

Me running from Buckland to the market fountain in Bree (the spike at the beginning is from the initial login):

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #64 on: November 15, 2006, 11:57:49 PM

I hear ya, Trippy, and the stuttering when entering a zone with a ton of new graphic content to load still does create a stuttering effect as you describe, but I think my problem was nic-card related simply because of the dramatic change I noticed when I switched the nic cards. Nothing to do with bandwidth, but rather how that secondary Yukon card interacted with my computer in general. Both were integrated, but I think that performance wise, the Nvidia one had a leg up somehow. Either that, or the Yukon one was semi-broken somehow.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #65 on: November 16, 2006, 03:49:45 AM

[EDIT] Bah.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 04:21:24 AM by Stray »
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: November 16, 2006, 07:21:03 AM

I hear ya, Trippy, and the stuttering when entering a zone with a ton of new graphic content to load still does create a stuttering effect as you describe, but I think my problem was nic-card related simply because of the dramatic change I noticed when I switched the nic cards. Nothing to do with bandwidth, but rather how that secondary Yukon card interacted with my computer in general. Both were integrated, but I think that performance wise, the Nvidia one had a leg up somehow. Either that, or the Yukon one was semi-broken somehow.

The Yukon uses CPU to do some of its job. The Nvidia one doesn't. You might try plotting CPU usage doing the same thing under both scenarios.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #67 on: November 16, 2006, 07:59:57 AM

Aha, Furiously probably nailed it! But I'm curious, where does one get a CPU plotting program, other than alt-tabbing to the task manager?

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: November 18, 2006, 08:03:43 PM

Played for about six hours so far. I'm a pro :)

On that graphic choppiness, I encountered something like what was described 10 minutes after being in the game. Prior it was beautiful and smooth. I wouldn't win contests with my screengrabs, but that this runs on my 4.5 year old rig means they're smart. So 10 minutes in I get slapped with 0.5 FPS or close. Quiting did not. Restarting comp did nothing.

I fixed it though. Simply changing the screen resolution to a new setting resulted in the smoothness. I didn't even need to ACCEPT that setting. Just make the change. Then I let it revert back to what I use (1680x960, whatever the highest one is). I need to do this once an hour. Maybe some sort of graphics memory leak thing?

Otherwise, still learning too much to really comment on. One thing I do like is the CoX-esque pre-casting thing (able to queue up the next spell while the timer refreshes)

What's going to separate this from WoW enough to draw those people in? No idea. Not sure even story would be enough. LoTRO is defined by the movies, and while this game does an awesome job of being evocative of the movie aesthetic (without being able to use Jackson's stuff), lacking the epic save-the-world linearity is going to be a problem.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #69 on: November 18, 2006, 08:16:16 PM

Played for about six hours so far. I'm a pro :)

On that graphic choppiness, I encountered something like what was described 10 minutes after being in the game. Prior it was beautiful and smooth. I wouldn't win contests with my screengrabs, but that this runs on my 4.5 year old rig means they're smart. So 10 minutes in I get slapped with 0.5 FPS or close. Quiting did not. Restarting comp did nothing.

I fixed it though. Simply changing the screen resolution to a new setting resulted in the smoothness. I didn't even need to ACCEPT that setting. Just make the change. Then I let it revert back to what I use (1680x960, whatever the highest one is). I need to do this once an hour. Maybe some sort of graphics memory leak thing?
Very odd. It can't be a graphics memory leak (at least not the traditional kind) otherwise rebooting would fix it. And the game isn't keeping cached graphics files (like BF2 does) as far as I can tell so it's unclear why changing the res would temporarily fix the problem.

What GPU are you using?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: What's wrong with this game?  
Jump to: