Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:52:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400329 times)
schild
Administrator

on: September 22, 2006, 12:56:18 AM

Think of it as a game. The rules of engagement are simple.

RULE #π: Do not carry on more than one conversation at a time.
RULE #π2: This thread could be purged at any time. Could drop from 100 pages to 7 pages or 5,000 posts to 3 pages of the same post.
RULE #πr2: No god talk, no politics.

Now, someone say something interesting. I've created a thread for controlled spam. Have at it. Oh, and feel free to derail other threads into this thread so you don't fuck up the original.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 01:33:39 AM

So if God was President, do you think He would pull the troops out of Iraq? oops, sorry.

Hmm.  Dude, you can't tell people say interesting things on command.  It's like when my wife says to me "let's talk!", and my mind draws an instant blank.

Okay, while it is probably only interesting to me:  I have a job interview in the US next week, for a possible re-assignment within my company.   I've been living in Europe for the last 9 years or so, and have since had two children.  While I have the ordinary nerves related to having to go through interviews, I think that the prospect of moving back to the US is scaring me more, for a variety of reasons.  I almost can't figure out if I want the interviews to go well, or if I'd prefer to fail miserably.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 01:39:57 AM

When your wife says let's talk, it's not that she wants you to say something interesting. It's that she thinks you're up to something.

Where's your interview at (what type of company)? Also, location in the states?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 01:46:41 AM

When your wife says let's talk, it's not that she wants you to say something interesting. It's that she thinks you're up to something.

Nonono...it's the "we don't talk enough about unimportant things that generally only interest women" kind of talk I'm referring to.  Not the other.

For the other part:  Big ass multi-national company, located in the general mid-west area (I'd prefer not to be specific).  Career-wise it'd be great, but everything else is a question mark.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 02:21:27 AM

How old are the kids? Would your wife be leaving a career? Where's family?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 02:53:21 AM

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 03:42:50 AM

How old are the kids? Would your wife be leaving a career? Where's family?

Kids are 1.5 and four.  There'll be something of a language issue with the oldest, as his English skills are rather limited (a stupid mistake that I am trying hard to avoid with the younger).  Wife quit her job a few months ago to spend more time with the kids, so from that perspective the timing could have been much worse.  As to the last question, my wife's family is here in Denmark.  All of my family is on the west coast, mainly the Seattle area, so neither of us would be near family if we go through with this.  That part is weighing rather heavily on us.

edlavallee
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 05:18:36 AM

Kids are a good age to move and the language would only be an issue for a small amount of time. Kids pick up things really fast. I would be more concerned that if I did make the move, how I would keep both languages alive. I can understand the family issue -- its hard to make this big of a move without a solid support foundation. It puts more stress on the marriage since you can't blow off steam to other convenient family members.

Whichever way you go, I wish you luck. I am currently working for a "Big ass multi-national company, located in the general mid-west area" and its going just dandy. Wormed my way into a project that I actually have passion about, and that makes coming to work not about the drudgery of slaving away for the almighty dollar.

Hey Sam -- my dog's breath smells like dead fish.

Zipper Zee - space noob
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 06:02:57 AM

In my experience, a woman will NEVER ask you questions when she thinks something is going on.  Not until the Curare kicks in and you can't actually move a muscle.

As to the 'What are you thinking' gambit of female conversation, that's entirely to check whether the male is actually STILL THINKING.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 06:57:31 AM

Denmark is going to be under ten feet of water within the next decade, you should either move now or start teaching your kids how to scuba dive.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 07:28:44 AM

Could you explain rule number two again?  I don't understand it.   embarassed

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 07:35:05 AM

My wife doesn't pull the "let's talk" thing too much these days, since I'm likely to start talking about things she doesn't care about: what I did in <game> recently, most likely, or sometimes "what's up with all these PayPal charges?"

The only issue I can see with the moving is the family thing.  Grandparents are incredibly useful, as you know, when raising kids.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 08:25:47 AM

A giant rat climbed onto my grandmother's porch yesterday and stared into her house from the railing. It was large enough there was some debate over whether it was a Opossum. It was mostly hairless too. Kind of weird really.

My daughter's dog has rat breath after having killed one of its siblings or young or something. Come to think of it, where is that damn dog now?

And no, we don't live in New York. She lives in this quaint little community in Oklahoma. (I actually live right next door to her for various reasons.)

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 08:38:39 AM

Somewhere Tele is laughing his ass off.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 09:26:04 AM

I wouldn't worry about the language issue too much just yet, Cyrrex. I was raised in Spain, by an American mom, and by the time I was 8ish, I was answering back in Spanish to her English. Alarmed, she yanked me out of the subpar American school there and put me in a British one, which very quickly remedied the situation. The benefit is that now, in my late 30s, I'm hard-wired bilingual. I haven't actively spoken Spanish for over 20 years, but I have not forgotten a word of it. A few weeks back in Spain for vacation makes me fluent.

I don't know enough about your situation to say wether you should move to the States or stay put, but unless your company's offer is an 'or else' kind of offer, I would weigh taking your wife out of her European culture and putting her in the mid-west very heavily against moving, unless you know for a fact that it would be a temporary situation in the US and you'd soon be back in Europe.

I say this because although I now live in the US, and consider myself American, if I could turn back the clock 20 years, I would fight my parents tooth and nail to stay in Europe. You cannot go home again, yet it remains home in your heart of hearts. The loss is unimaginable untill you've gone through it.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
edlavallee
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 09:44:54 AM

Tru-dat Engels. I was born and raised in RI and still consider it home although I have not been there to live in almost 25 years. I visit there, it feels like home, but I know I have to go back to where my mortgage is soon enough. I miss the ocean.

Zipper Zee - space noob
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 10:08:00 AM

Woodwind and brass musicians aspire to the perpetual breathing technique made famous by the trumpeter Louis Armstrong. He played his trumpet without ever breaking to take a breath. Instead, he was breathing continuously, inhaling through his nose and exhaling through his mouth as he played the trumpet. Today, saxophonist Kenny G. uses this method to sustain notes for astounding lengths of time. Even singers concentrate on their breathing to make their breaths less noticeable as they sing their tunes.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #17 on: September 22, 2006, 10:15:07 AM

How would you do that?  You can only breathe in one direction, do they try to store the air in their cheeks or something and use that to blow while they inhale?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #18 on: September 22, 2006, 10:57:14 AM

How would you do that?  You can only breathe in one direction, do they try to store the air in their cheeks or something and use that to blow while they inhale?

No way, Jack Black has also mastered this technique.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: September 22, 2006, 11:04:02 AM

posting from mobile. missed  flight. in airport  bar.  girl  named robin is telling me  quite the story.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #20 on: September 22, 2006, 11:05:31 AM

pics plzkthx

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 22, 2006, 11:14:21 AM

Apparently Samwise and I are meeting up over the weekend.  I think I might get tanked.  I might also get a massive curry.

Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: September 22, 2006, 12:04:50 PM

The food is more or less what you might cook at home. Guinea fowl with Umbrian lentils and parsley sauce, roast halibut with green sauce, that sort of thing.

WayAbvPar

Reply #23 on: September 22, 2006, 12:07:53 PM

I just got out of an excruciating status meeting. WHY must there be meetings? They are such a giant waste of time, energy, and chunks of my soul.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #24 on: September 22, 2006, 12:33:42 PM

Apparently Samwise and I are meeting up over the weekend.  I think I might get tanked.  I might also get a massive curry.

Aha... I get what you're up to.  In case the tanking might cause Samwise into thinking he could get lucky, the curry will keep him away from any of your sensitive orifices.

Brilliant.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #25 on: September 22, 2006, 12:40:00 PM

I just got out of an excruciating status meeting. WHY must there be meetings? They are such a giant waste of time, energy, and chunks of my soul.

I have seen both undercommunication and overcommunication.  At least with the latter, I can't be blamed for not being in the same meetings as everyone else once the finger-pointing starts.  Aside from CYA, I have embraced the meeting as a great and legitimate way to avoid doing actual work.

I managed to get a particular SAP landscape excluded from the last DR test, however my meeting-fu was not strong enough this time and I get to run the test tomorrow morning.  It's going to fail, but whatever.  As long as it doesn't end up worse than before the test.

WayAbvPar

Reply #26 on: September 22, 2006, 01:15:05 PM

Aside from CYA, I have embraced the meeting as a great and legitimate way to avoid doing actual work.

That is what I have F13 for! I don't need pointless meetings cutting into my Internet life.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Tahz
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 22, 2006, 01:21:10 PM

Byaaaah!!!!
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 22, 2006, 04:27:30 PM

I have fished you out of the web on purpose, and for your own good. On this fine Friday,  you happen to have approached a site of knowledge, fashioned in the manner of the "web of old". There are no banners and no advertisement whatsoever on my site, where you will meet others that are interested in learning - and teaching - searching methodologies. You'll gain knowledge and power here that will enable you to search the web MUCH more effectively in the future.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #29 on: September 22, 2006, 04:49:02 PM

Aside from CYA, I have embraced the meeting as a great and legitimate way to avoid doing actual work.

That is what I have F13 for! I don't need pointless meetings cutting into my Internet life.

If you can apply the modifier "legitimate" to F13 where you work... well, that's just awesome.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 25, 2006, 02:45:31 PM

Aha... I get what you're up to.  In case the tanking might cause Samwise into thinking he could get lucky, the curry will keep him away from any of your sensitive orifices.

Brilliant.

He seems more interested in the wife.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #31 on: September 27, 2006, 07:19:41 AM

Rule #2 should be re-written in green.  People around here have the attention span of fruit flies anyway.

schild
Administrator

Reply #32 on: September 27, 2006, 08:03:33 AM

I like rule #2.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #33 on: September 27, 2006, 08:09:00 AM

You're supposed to be sleeping.  You said so.

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #34 on: September 27, 2006, 09:33:03 AM

I always wonder if new people come to the forums and think to themselves, "Why do people keep saying things should be written in green?"

I just had an idea to change my avatar to the stunna shades one.  But I don't want people reflexively skipping over my posts more than they already do.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 09:55:24 AM by Llava »

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: