Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:00:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1125 1126 [1127] 1128 1129 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400717 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #39410 on: September 14, 2020, 06:09:24 PM

I think I would rather do a nickel in the pen for arson than move again.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #39411 on: September 15, 2020, 09:39:05 AM

I'm currently looking down the barrel of another international move after living in 8 different countries over the past 20 years.

Sucks.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #39412 on: September 15, 2020, 12:28:53 PM

I've told the husband that if we ever move out of state (gods, please let us leave Illinois!), that I'm selling anything not sentimental and just buying new stuff for the new place.  No worrying about getting stuff packed and moved except for clothes and even those I'd plan to whittle down.  Especially considering we've lived in this house almost 20 years now and haven't touched anything "stored" in the crawlspace since it was put down there.  It can all go away.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #39413 on: September 15, 2020, 06:35:57 PM

I put some of my kid's shit into storage for two years in the last move, I reclaimed it all recently and closed the storage area, and because she's home due to covid, she saw it all and was like "oh I love all that, you have to keep it". No, we're in the ten-year death zone for that shit--you have a decade to be in a situation where you can claim it, otherwise it gets thrown out.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #39414 on: September 16, 2020, 02:46:51 PM

Yeah I came home from 4 or so years living and abroad and basically junked 90% of the stuff I'd left with my parents to store. The books were kind of painful but I kept the small number I knew I'd read again. Did a Marie Kondo on my wardrobe 2 years ago and it was actually pretty good. I'm now realising how little I wear my shirts if it's not for work just because I really don't enjoy ironing.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #39415 on: September 16, 2020, 05:14:17 PM

*eyes the stack of boxes in the corner of the garage behind a bunch of other stuff marked 'URGENT: OPEN FIRST' that are still sealed from the move 17 years ago*

Yeeeeaaaah. I'm probably contemplating a move in the next few years on the off chance that I'm not on an underground railroad to Mexico to become a beet farmer and I'm kind of glad that I've gotten a lot more hardass about 'sentimental value'. If nobody died for it, on it, or because of it, it's going in the shitter.

I hope the stuff in the attic/crawlspace had a nice rest, because I'm basically going to go full vertical Hans Landa on it when I get up there.

"They started to resist with a crust that was welded with human brain and willpower."
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #39416 on: September 16, 2020, 06:38:26 PM

I cleared a metric fuckton of shit out of my second bedroom this past weekend, discovering or confirming what I already knew. I'm an empty box hoarder. When/if I buy something with a box, I keep the box in case I need to return it, or move with it. As a result, I had an insane amount of just empty goddamn cardboard sitting around in closets and such, taking up space for no good goddamn reason. That felt good.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #39417 on: September 17, 2020, 06:38:15 AM

I cleared a metric fuckton of shit out of my second bedroom this past weekend, discovering or confirming what I already knew. I'm an empty box hoarder. When/if I buy something with a box, I keep the box in case I need to return it, or move with it. As a result, I had an insane amount of just empty goddamn cardboard sitting around in closets and such, taking up space for no good goddamn reason. That felt good.
I do this as well, but do my best to throw most of them away after 1-3 months once they are no longer returnable. Long term I only keep the boxes of extremely fragile things that would be difficult to move without the box (TVs, mostly).

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #39418 on: September 17, 2020, 07:21:13 AM

I recently consolidated most of my CMoN game boxes down to single boxes and gained a couple bookshelves. This is the first new bookshelf space in ten years, so I'm pretty stoked about it. But there was a huge amount of waste in their packaging, lots of plastic and large boxes for a couple minis and cards.

The small house journey continues to challenge and improve me!
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #39419 on: September 19, 2020, 04:39:36 PM

Welp... after two grueling days of driving through the shit hole that is middle America (fuck the entire state of Indiana), arrived at the apt building in Denver/Aurora. After we finally got the truck packed and set off for the first leg, I got on my phone and ordered unloading help online. I got real spooked by how long it took us to load the truck and factoring in the altitude thing... Figured it could only help. So we get in today at around 11a and once we have a look around, we started picking at the odds and ends in the back of the truck. Help was coming at noon and 11:56 I got a call saying they were downstairs waiting. Salt of the Earth types that raised my wife's eyebrow, and I swear one guy reminded me of Flea, but damn, they unloaded the entire truck in 2 hours flat and were extremely careful of everything. Best money I ever spent on a panic buy.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #39420 on: September 19, 2020, 07:26:26 PM

Really glad it went well for you.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #39421 on: September 19, 2020, 07:48:15 PM

I don’t envy you that long trip on I-70. But hey, you got to see the stupid fucking cross in Effingham and live through the 4+ hours of non stop billboards in Missouri so you have now truly lived life, right?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Terracotta Army

Reply #39422 on: September 20, 2020, 06:34:21 AM

I don’t envy you that long trip on I-70. But hey, you got to see the stupid fucking cross in Effingham and live through the 4+ hours of non stop billboards in Missouri so you have now truly lived life, right?

Exactly. Last time I drove I-70 was in '97 and it was the same route only I was going to California. Thankfully, that will be the last time I move any great distance again.

My god are those fly over states sad. Nothing but Trump billboards, american flags, and christian phrases and open fields.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #39423 on: September 20, 2020, 07:07:10 PM

The one thing I would say from my last, pretty recent cross-country drive is that if you get off the interstates:

a) college towns and tourist towns feel really different, and they're sometimes way bigger than East Bumfuck with the fast food places and the Days Inns by the interstate
b) way off the interstates, basically the country is still empty; yeah there are Trump signs, but it's all of the ten people who live in that part of the state who feel that way
c) also way off the interstates where it's kind of empty people are *disastrously* poor for the most part--like a twenty-year old motor home looks like luxury in a lot of places. I went on a big meandering drive on little roads into central Pennsylvania last fall, past the areas where folks were making steel or mining coal or have tourist joints in the Poconos or have serious farms, and holy shit, I felt terrible for the small number of people I saw--houses that were semi-collapsed, etc. That's worse than the Trump signs in a way--small numbers of people who just feel completely lost in every way--no businesses nearby, a few quarries or light industries maybe, a crumbling church. Just nothing otherwise.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39424 on: October 28, 2020, 07:43:07 AM

So I had a happy entertainment this morning. Unfortunately, this year the house next to the library cut down the trees and hedges that obscured our view of the poverty housing on the block. Fortunately, the escapades of the dumbasses that live and work there has been entertaining. Two guys showed up today to do, umm....something to the lawn.

First guy is running leaf blower. Ok. He is terrible at it, but ok. Then second guy shows up with a small riding mower. Ok. He just kind of mows around aimlessly, not following any path. No bagging attachment. Hmm. Now I'm watching closer, leaf blower guy is not really blowing them anywhere. At this point, you may figure out they're hourly workers on a state-owned lot.

First guy decides he wants to run the mower. Knocks the cowling off the engine. Tries for a while to get it back on. Second guy grabs the leaf blower and begins randomly blowing leaves. First guy keeps knocking the cowling off, now he's driving .1mph, holding the side chute up with one hand...cowling keeps slipping off. So then he's trying to simultaneously hold the cowling and chute, driving aimlessly.

Second guy goes out front and gets on a larger zero-radius mower. Proceeds to drive in circles and mulch the shit out of the tiny front lawn. I counted twenty circles, but he had been at it before I started counting. First guy runs his mower out of gas, slowly trundles to get the can. Fills it up, tries to start it...it's in gear, almost takes out the fence but manages to kill the engine. Starts putting more gas in? Sure, seems reasonable. Takes cowling off and throws it in the bushes.

Second guy "finishes" in the front (just left the mulched leaves in the middle of the lawn), get back on the leafblower. First guy still just randomly mowing the leaves in the back without a pattern. For the next fifteen minutes, they do this. It's about a 40'x30' lot. My favorite part was the one non-random action: the leafblower guy keeps clearing off the sidewalk, only for the mower guy to immediately blow leaves on it again. I counted five times for that one, but I wasn't watching the entire time.

Finally, satisfied with the fine layer of wet leaf paste they've created, they depart. They did remember to grab the cowling from the bushes. Then an old woman came out of the house and started sweeping away all the mulched leaves they got all over everything (patio, chairs, grill, etc).

I was impressed by the show of modern American ineptitude and fraud. People wonder why Trump is popular.

I fired my lawn service a couple years ago for different, but equally inept, issues. I wish we had Mexicans here (seriously).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39425 on: October 28, 2020, 07:46:25 AM

Btw, this beats out my previous favorite ridiculousness from the neighbors here...two houses over a month back, a guy rode a dirt bike around the lot...refer back to the small size of the lot. He was basically just driving in a fairly tight circle. For two hours.

Then a week later he came flying through at speed...minutes later he's standing in cuffs by a patrol car. Days later he sells the dirt bike.  awesome, for real
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #39426 on: October 28, 2020, 02:17:14 PM

I once watched three guys on a yard crew trying to rake/blow leaves on a windy day. Each pass on this bigass yard and they would get to the end, see all the shit raked into the wind was right back where they started. So the foreman would throw his hands up and yell at one of the guys, then have them start it all over. I watched them do three passes like this.

I'm not saying they're stupid, but... there has to be a better use of your time, right?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #39427 on: October 28, 2020, 03:08:24 PM

That entirely depends on if they are getting paid by the hour.  why so serious?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39428 on: November 12, 2020, 09:15:40 AM

I almost got a PS5 from Walmart...or at least I had an 'add to cart' button that almost worked. At 12:01. Went directly to out of stock on the other sites.

Guys, I think bots are a problem.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39429 on: November 12, 2020, 09:27:57 AM

Yeah I had two carts but the Walmart checkout process kept crapping out on every step requiring multiple painfully slow reloads to progress so by the time I got to the final "Confirm Order" stage the bots had claimed them all.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39430 on: November 12, 2020, 11:17:24 AM

The proliferation of 3rd party sellers on most retail sites has not helped the problem. Seeing 3070s listed on Amazon for $1100.

I really dislike the folks that create this issue by rewarding the scalpers by paying those prices.

I griped a bit to the old lady about it and she just gave me the eye and reminded me how shitty purchasing has been for concert tickets for years now. True enough. Up until around 5 years ago, we saw almost any concert from the first few rows or a front row balcony. Nothing the ticket industry or local venues has tried has worked, except for small venues that don't sell tickets through major online sites (their sites are usually too wonky for bots, or the demand is too low).
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39431 on: November 12, 2020, 11:35:13 AM

Yeah Ticketmaster is up there among my "most hated" companies list.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39432 on: November 12, 2020, 12:05:34 PM

The 3pm walmart release is even worse than the 12pm one. Page won't even refresh. I did get 'add to cart' on the 1st refresh, but it stalled out and now just goes to an error page or times out.

The shoes of a clown.
Terracotta Army

Reply #39433 on: November 12, 2020, 12:45:27 PM

I'm not even bothering with this v1.0 round of PS5. Demand is too high and it is an unknown in terms of reliability. Nothing is out on the console that I MUST have yet anyway. Maybe when Horizon part 2 comes out I'll re-evaluate then unless it comes out in a month.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39434 on: November 12, 2020, 12:47:54 PM

I've seen some complaints about database issues corrupting the PS5 before a game is even launched.  Ohhhhh, I see.

At this point, it's kind of a game to see if I can get one, I really want to hold off for exactly the reason you mentioned. But I did manage to get one in my cart in one browser...
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39435 on: November 12, 2020, 12:50:46 PM

Nothing is out on the console that I MUST have yet anyway.
DEMON'S SOULS

Heathen
Terracotta Army

Reply #39436 on: November 12, 2020, 01:13:00 PM

Nothing is out on the console that I MUST have yet anyway.
DEMON'S SOULS

Heathen

guilty.  awesome, for real

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39437 on: November 12, 2020, 01:17:47 PM

Thanks for the timely heads-up, Wolmert.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39438 on: November 12, 2020, 03:09:59 PM

6pm update: had multiple browsers open and ready to go. Had a PS5 IN MY CART from earlier.

Not even a chance, almost got to checkout once (by then it was out of stock, kicked back to cart). Just constant timeouts.

I'm just in it for the laughs, but man this is a mess.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #39439 on: November 12, 2020, 03:30:59 PM

I may actually wait for the next model. I'm pretty tied up with life stuff so it's less pressing. I'm pretty off the size, design, color and lack of SSD capacity on this first model.

I have no doubts it's going to be awesome though.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39440 on: November 12, 2020, 04:10:47 PM

I may actually wait for the next model. I'm pretty tied up with life stuff so it's less pressing. I'm pretty off the size, design, color and lack of SSD capacity on this first model.
There's a 2nd M.2 slot inside for another SSD though we're waiting for Sony to "activate" it and release a list of supported models, or sell one themselves (at inflated prices).
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #39441 on: November 13, 2020, 12:59:46 AM

Target doing online sales for in store pickups was a somewhat decent what of avoiding bots a bit since whoever was buying the systems still had to be able to get to the stores to pick them up. Managed to get one PS5 from them, and another through the Sony Direct store (which will end up going to a family member).

Some tips:

Follow Wario64 on twitter. Dude posts the instant a site puts something up for sale.

A lot of people swear by using the mobile apps for the major stores. Use both the browser site and the app for Target last night helped quite a bit when there was a checkout error at first.

Chrome kinda sucks. When GameStop put up their bundles, Chrome consistently couldn't even load one of the links, and then I switched over to Brave and it worked (and seems to refresh quicker). It was for the best since GameStop's bundles were shit ($100 special edition of NBA2k21, fuck that).

Edit: Also keep refreshing for a while after stuff "sells out".
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 01:02:12 AM by Velorath »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39442 on: November 13, 2020, 07:18:47 AM

Chrome sucks for a lot of reasons. I have my Italian contractor working on a weird chrome issue that is killing our access to our media dispenser...only on chrome. Very tired of Google products in general.

Also, picked the right time to get away from Apple products. Ye gods. Intel/Unix will be the golden era of Macs in my mind. Really dislike iOS whenever I'm forced to look at it for work purposes. Great for children and seniors, though.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39443 on: November 13, 2020, 11:12:21 AM

Target doing online sales for in store pickups was a somewhat decent what of avoiding bots a bit since whoever was buying the systems still had to be able to get to the stores to pick them up. Managed to get one PS5 from them, and another through the Sony Direct store (which will end up going to a family member).
We hate you.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39444 on: November 13, 2020, 12:59:36 PM

Ohno the dreaded queue on psdirect

wait time over an hour suuure
Pages: 1 ... 1125 1126 [1127] 1128 1129 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: