Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:51:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1117 1118 [1119] 1120 1121 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400436 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #39130 on: November 12, 2019, 01:07:32 PM

I wish my fiancee could find a good endocrinologist. Her levels are so clearly off and it makes her miserable.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39131 on: November 12, 2019, 02:14:35 PM

So apparently I'm pre-diabetic.  Yay.  New primary also upped by thyroid meds slightly, so there's that too.
I highly recommend https://nutritionfacts.org/
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #39132 on: November 12, 2019, 02:31:48 PM

I wish my fiancee could find a good endocrinologist. Her levels are so clearly off and it makes her miserable.

I'm such a low dose that I really don't see much effect at all, but meh, it's not hurting me.  I guess my numbers are on the high side of normal so doctor wants them a bit lower.

So apparently I'm pre-diabetic.  Yay.  New primary also upped by thyroid meds slightly, so there's that too.
I highly recommend https://nutritionfacts.org/

Thanks!  I've been wondering where to start looking for eating advice.  We are in an effed up situation right now because of the meds the husband is on (coumadin - meaning he doesn't eat leafy greens to avoid vitamin K) and the fact he's got one kidney now, so he's got to be careful there.  I love carbs though and I guess those might be tough to give up.  If I have to, I'll give up my beloved Dr Pepper but I'll cry and whine about it.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #39133 on: November 13, 2019, 03:20:57 AM

I mean if you're pre-diabetic I'd say cutting out sugary soft drinks (at least getting sugar free versions) is a no brainer. As tough as it might seem to do so, having to cope with Zero versions of them is definitely better than needing meds. Sucks on the diet front though, I know how much of a pain it is trying to prepare meals that fit two different tastes let alone throwing in dietary requirements.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #39134 on: November 13, 2019, 03:55:36 AM

All things being equal, non-sugary drinks would be preferred.  But be warned that there is plenty evidence to suggest that the artificial sweeteners actually cheat your system into thinking you need more real sugar.  And as a result, a lot of people who drink "diet" soda end up consuming more sugar in totality. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #39135 on: November 13, 2019, 11:55:55 AM

Oh, I refuse to drink diet or "zero sugar" versions of pop.  If it's not the full on sugary Dr Pepper, then I won't drink it.  I tend to drink more tea and water than I do pop, so it shouldn't be too terribly hard.  I do have occasional times where I just CRAVE a Dr Pepper but mostly I'm fine.  Of course, since my doctor's appt on Sunday all I've done is want a pop, lol.

Biggest thing actually will be learning to drink my iced tea without sweetener.  I prefer Sweet-n-Low for cold teas because sugar doesn't dissolve and don't use a lot of it.  Most iced tea at restaurants is just too bitter for my tastes, so I need something to cut the taste a bit. 

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39136 on: November 13, 2019, 12:17:39 PM

Finally got the Youtube desktop site update pushed to me, with the larger previews on the home page.

This will account for a massive uptick in productivity for me, since now I have less suggestions to consider. Combine that with the crappy AI they've been running that had already slowed my interesting choices to a small trickle, and yeah... great job, guys.

edit: oh no

they made it an endless ai recommendation scroll of some sort after you scroll down past a couple categorical suggestions
dammit
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 12:22:55 PM by Sky »
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #39137 on: November 13, 2019, 12:37:48 PM

Rhyssa, you need to take this very seriously. You don't want the adventure ride of full blown diabetes in a country where insulin costs hundreds of dollars a month.

Learn to drink diet or give up the sodas altogether. Cut way back on carbs. Go back to your doctor every few months for a blood test to catch worrying trends early.  I speak from experience.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #39138 on: November 13, 2019, 12:41:49 PM

My wife turned up pre-diabetic enough to be put on metformin a few years ago. It's been constant hell with her, mainly because she is absolutely addicted like an alcoholic to sodas. She's managed to restrict it to the zero/diet versions of it but even that shit isn't good for you, and she hates water unless it's ice cold. She's also Italian, so having to cut back on or find alternatives for pasta has been hell. We've tried just about everything and it's all terrible. Whole wheat pasta is bearable but has a shitty texture. Everything else is different flavors of fucking terrible. I will say that spaghetti squash as an alternative or zoodles (zucchini noodles) can work though sometimes it still just doesn't hit that pasta with red sauce flavor required.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #39139 on: November 13, 2019, 12:46:30 PM

I married an allergy nightmare along with having celiac so I been down the road of alternative foods. Some are ok, most are shit. Luckily she is fine with meat and potatoes so we always have steak/hamburg as backup.

Sugar alternatives are a migraine trigger for me so if I ever go down the diabetic route, I'll basically be checking out.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #39140 on: November 13, 2019, 02:27:45 PM

You should really get a glucose tester and make a habit of using it after every meal for a few months. It can really help you dial in what you can eat, and how much. For example, for me French fries might as well be pixie stix, but pasta is generally okay (as long as there isn't too much sugar in the sauce) and rice isn't terrible as long as I haven't been pushing my luck that day.

And yeah, non-diet soda is right out, along with most fruit juices. Don't even think about it.

--Signature Unclear
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #39141 on: November 13, 2019, 08:14:36 PM

Welcome to the Cult of Lacroix. Take a seat over there and try to remember what flavor tastes like.

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #39142 on: November 13, 2019, 08:26:41 PM

Welcome to the Cult of Lacroix. Take a seat over there and try to remember what flavor tastes like.
Lacroix trying to remember also.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #39143 on: November 14, 2019, 05:51:40 AM

I might be in the minority, but I enjoy the flavored soda waters. They are a nice break from drinking the fizzy candy syrups. Even started to see some caffeine infused ones on the market shelves.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39144 on: November 14, 2019, 06:50:38 AM

I drink more diet coke than any man ever seen, but I don't have a sweet tooth. I've taken to having a glass of 2% milk before bed and last night I was just reflecting how, to my palette, it tastes like vanilla ice cream, nicely, subtley sweet.

My old best friend died alone in a diabetic coma, and that's enough for me to take stuff pretty seriously. My current best friend's mom also died in a diabetic coma and he was pre-diabetic and a sugary soda fiend. He gave up the soda for a while and altered his diet, lost a ton of weight and was cleared by his doc...but he's backslid, which bums me out. I don't want to find him after he passes out in a coma and withers to death alone.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #39145 on: November 14, 2019, 11:08:02 AM

Fortunately this space is filling with alternatives. I'll not lie to you and say they are incredible but I'm glad choices exist. Personally I'm spending a lot of time with Zevia Cola. I'm especially amused that it is clear.

Regarding bread and pasta, the substitute versions are universally shit. Good luck with that. Nut flour is not flour and I abandoned that as well as any other wheat sub. I just dodge wheat.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #39146 on: November 16, 2019, 11:40:15 AM

Fortunately this space is filling with alternatives.

White Claw, Smirnoff, Truly, Henry's, Bon & Viv - Plenty of better options than Lacroix!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #39147 on: November 16, 2019, 05:11:35 PM

Despite my never liking any kind of fizzy water drinks like Seltzer water, I have found that White Claw is my new dinner drink of choice. Don't even understand how that's possible but there you go. I have discovered through my experiments with different simple cocktails that tonic water is truly nasty as fuck.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39148 on: November 16, 2019, 07:01:27 PM

I have discovered through my experiments with different simple cocktails that tonic water is truly nasty as fuck.
Buy better tonic water. I like Fever Tree.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #39149 on: November 16, 2019, 11:58:15 PM

+1 for that, also put reasonable gin into it.  A good G&T is more than the sum of its parts, with the gin botanicals offsetting the bittersweetness of the tonic.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #39150 on: November 17, 2019, 01:01:46 AM

Plus it helps with malaria!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #39151 on: November 17, 2019, 09:46:06 AM

... gin botanicals ...

"My drink smells like someone threw up in a flower bed."

why so serious?
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #39152 on: November 17, 2019, 11:24:26 AM

Been using that one ever since I moved to the tropics.

Them:  But its only 10 am...

Me:  MALARIA

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #39153 on: November 17, 2019, 11:49:45 AM

I had not heard this one before and as an avid G&T drinker I was curious so looked it up, the article I read stated you would need to drink 67 liters of tonic water in order to have enough quinine in your system to be effective against malaria.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #39154 on: November 17, 2019, 11:55:47 AM

I had not heard this one before and as an avid G&T drinker I was curious so looked it up, the article I read stated you would need to drink 67 liters of tonic water in order to have enough quinine in your system to be effective against malaria.
Not quite that bad, I think a can (12 oz.) of tonic water has about 20 mg of quinine, the prophylactic dose was 500 mg/day. Original tonic water was about 10-20x as strong.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
schild
Administrator

Reply #39155 on: November 17, 2019, 07:45:53 PM

did someone say white claw?

claw is the law
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #39156 on: November 17, 2019, 10:21:09 PM

Not quite that bad, I think a can (12 oz.) of tonic water has about 20 mg of quinine, the prophylactic dose was 500 mg/day. Original tonic water was about 10-20x as strong.

This makes me want to make my own tonic water with the original concentration of cinchona bark so I can see what a "classic" G&T tastes like.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #39157 on: November 18, 2019, 04:11:05 AM

Let me know if it covers up the boiled xmas tree taste of the gin. Otherwise I'll stick to fever tree Indian tonic and vodka when I'm in that mood.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #39158 on: November 18, 2019, 04:24:49 AM

Let me know if it covers up the boiled xmas tree taste of the gin.

I have before tried to put into words the foul taste of gin, and now I have a way to do that, thanks.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #39159 on: November 18, 2019, 06:28:12 AM

Fever Tree also has the best ginger beer, except maybe Thomas Henry. I only find Fever Tree locally.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #39160 on: November 18, 2019, 07:54:00 AM

Vodka is gin invented by people who were trying to perfectly capture the terroir of an unseasoned boiled potato.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39161 on: November 18, 2019, 09:45:12 AM

Let me know if it covers up the boiled xmas tree taste of the gin. Otherwise I'll stick to fever tree Indian tonic and vodka when I'm in that mood.
There are plenty of gins now that aren’t London Dry gins which try to smack you in the face with the smell and taste of Juniper. Try a gin cocktail or a gin and tonic with something like Hendrick’s or Aviation.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #39162 on: November 18, 2019, 10:27:35 AM

There are plenty of gins now that aren’t London Dry gins which try to smack you in the face with the smell and taste of Juniper. Try a gin cocktail or a gin and tonic with something like Hendrick’s or Aviation.

I assumed when Mandella said "like someone threw up in a flower bed" he was talking about Hendrick's.   awesome, for real

Personally I like the "Christmas tree" gins with fir/juniper notes, but for something that tilts more toward conventional spices I'd recommend something like Botanivore.  Mind you, if you just hate all flavors, and some people do, there's really no help for that.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #39163 on: November 18, 2019, 01:00:52 PM

The secret to a good G&T is to coat the rim of the glass in lime then twist the crap out of the lime before dropping it in, I also think it helps to do the lime first then pour the gin and then the tonic over the lime.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39164 on: November 18, 2019, 01:15:18 PM

Just make a gimlet then.
Pages: 1 ... 1117 1118 [1119] 1120 1121 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: