Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:57:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1116 1117 [1118] 1119 1120 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400775 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39095 on: November 07, 2019, 01:23:27 PM

The Spicy version of Popeye's Chicken Sandwich is better than the Classic version.
This is true for all of their food.
That's true though in this case the chicken is the same in both versions of the sandwich -- it's the mayo that's different.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 01:25:51 PM by Trippy »
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #39096 on: November 07, 2019, 02:39:58 PM

The Spicy version of Popeye's Chicken Sandwich is better than the Classic version.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #39097 on: November 07, 2019, 03:14:45 PM

That's true though in this case the chicken is the same in both versions of the sandwich -- it's the mayo that's different.

Oh really? Odd. I assumed they used the spicy breading like in their chicken.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #39098 on: November 07, 2019, 03:41:29 PM

FYI: The rib is a shitty bone to break. Just the act of breathing constantly reminds you of that fact.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
schild
Administrator

Reply #39099 on: November 07, 2019, 06:12:24 PM

FYI: The rib is a shitty bone to break. Just the act of breathing constantly reminds you of that fact.   Ohhhhh, I see.

eeek
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #39100 on: November 07, 2019, 08:25:37 PM

Eek is right. Ribs and clavicle both suck pretty bad.

Don't do that.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #39101 on: November 07, 2019, 08:40:32 PM

Eek is right. Ribs and clavicle both suck pretty bad.

Don't do that.
Fun fact: It is possible to break ribs in ways that never mend, and spend decades in that state of "pain means I am still breathing".

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #39102 on: November 07, 2019, 08:55:16 PM

Guess I have a new item on the bucket list

Hic sunt dracones.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39103 on: November 08, 2019, 11:23:05 AM

Breaking a rib or a Popeye's Spicy Chicken Sandwich?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #39104 on: November 08, 2019, 12:04:44 PM

Breaking a rib for a Popeye's Spicy Chicken Sandwich.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #39105 on: November 08, 2019, 03:05:34 PM

Ideally someone else's, though, because apparently having your rib broken isn't great.   Spinning star

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #39106 on: November 09, 2019, 07:55:28 AM

Now on my bucket list:  break Sir T’s rib for him.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #39107 on: November 09, 2019, 07:58:27 AM

Now on my bucket list:  break Sir T’s rib for him.
Hey! Hey! Buddy! Not cool!

There's a queue.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #39108 on: November 09, 2019, 10:05:24 AM

How about breaking a McRib for a Popeye's Spicy Chicken Sandwich?

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #39109 on: November 09, 2019, 01:52:13 PM

I went down a research rabbit hole on breaking ribs and now "use the accelerometer on my phone to figure out how many newtons I can put into a punch" is on my to-do list.  (You need about 3kN to break a rib, and a good boxer can punch about 5kN.)

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #39110 on: November 09, 2019, 03:07:23 PM

Bets on whether you discover how many kN it takes to break your phone instead?  Ohhhhh, I see.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #39111 on: November 09, 2019, 03:09:23 PM

Now I want a physicist to estimate what bones in the Marvel Universe are made of to allow people to take a punch that knocks them ten feet into the air and twenty feet back, crumpling into a car body, without the bones breaking.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #39112 on: November 09, 2019, 04:19:39 PM

Bets on whether you discover how many kN it takes to break your phone instead?  Ohhhhh, I see.

I'll take that bet!   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'm thinking the smart way to do it is to put the phone in a pouch that I can securely strap to the back of a heavy bag (tightly so the phone doesn't move independently of the bag).  Measure the max acceleration using the accelerometer app, then divide by the mass of the bag to find the force imparted to it.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #39113 on: November 10, 2019, 05:47:14 AM

As someone who has punched a heavy bag roughly a million times, that does not sound like it would work.  The angle at which you hit it, as well as where you hit it, will make a huge difference as to how much acceleration it picks up.  It is possible to hit it like a pussy and have it accelerate quite a bit.  It is also possible to crush it and have it barely move at all.

No, the only way to do this is to duct tape your iphone to the back of your hand and punch a McRib sandwich.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #39114 on: November 10, 2019, 08:51:06 AM

For an accurate read you'd definitely want to have the phone on the opposite side of where you're hitting, to make sure you're measuring the force in the right direction -- if the punch is off center some of the force is converted into torque.  Which would technically be measurable but you'd have to factor in other stuff then.

It is possible to hit it like a pussy and have it accelerate quite a bit.

I'd like to invest in your perpetual motion machine.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #39115 on: November 10, 2019, 09:54:59 AM

I know what it sounds like, and it is hard to put it into words.  Where you hit it and at what angle means everything.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #39116 on: November 10, 2019, 10:00:38 AM

Oh I know there are lots of ways to "waste" the energy you put in by having it dissipate in different directions, I'm just questioning the idea that the bag is ever going to pick up MORE kinetic energy than you put into it because you hit it with your Buddha Palm technique.  awesome, for real

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #39117 on: November 10, 2019, 10:14:17 AM

Think of it this way....I can push it and make it accelerate pretty quick, but that would lead to zero damage.  I can also crack it with a closed fist without a glove on, and it will barely move, but would probably be close to enough force to crack a rib.  Acceleration may not be the measurement you want here.  PSI is probably far more relevant.

Or both?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 10:16:44 AM by Cyrrex »

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39118 on: November 10, 2019, 10:43:39 AM

The word you want is "impulse": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_(physics)

The same momentum applied over a shorter period gives you greater force.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #39119 on: November 10, 2019, 10:52:09 AM

Maybe?  Does that take surface area into account?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39120 on: November 10, 2019, 11:08:18 AM

That is pressure. But you still need the momentum and time components to give you the force in the pressure equation.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #39121 on: November 10, 2019, 11:29:36 AM

An accelerometer measures acceleration, not velocity.  That is, it measures the change in velocity over a very short period of time (apparently an iPhone can sample acceleration at 30Hz, which seems adequately accurate for our purposes).

If while you're taking your measurement you make sure that the only way the bag is moving is from you punching it, then you know that the bag's acceleration is due solely to the force behind your punch.  If your punch was at a bad angle, the linear acceleration may not reflect the full force of the punch, but it cannot ever exceed it, because of conservation of energy.  The maximum acceleration will correspond to the greatest amount of force that you put into it (probably right at the initial contact).

I'm taking as given (based on cursory internet research) that a punch with ~3kN of force has a good chance of cracking a rib.  It goes without saying that applying the same force over a wider surface area will be less damaging, just as a lesser amount of force over a smaller area (e.g. the edge of a blade or the tip of a bullet) can be significantly more so.  But if we're talking about a 3kN punch then the surface area has been defined for us as the knuckles on one hand.  We could do more math from there to figure it out in other units, but having the answer given to us in terms of force makes it so we don't need to do that.

Force is related to acceleration and mass by the equation F = ma.  It requires 1N of force to make a 1kg object accelerate by 1 m/s^2.  So if you have (say) a really heavy 100kg bag, a 3kN strike will register an acceleration of 30 m/s^2, roughly 3 gravities.  When you think of it in terms of gravity applied to a bag that weighs as much as a heavyweight fighter, you realize it's a lot of oomph -- bones are fucking strong.

So to figure out the force from the acceleration, we just take the bag's acceleration (as measured by our accelerometer that's attached to the bag and therefore exactly matching its acceleration) and multiply it by its mass.

Naturally, you can measure things besides a punch -- you can shove the bag with two arms (so you're measuring the force of your shove over a wider area), or you can hit it with a sledgehammer, or you can drive a car into it.  All of these things will probably impart more force than you could deliver via a punch.  But if your goal is to measure the force of a punch, then you will only count the acceleration measurements that resulted from you punching the bag, not doing any of those other things.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 11:34:09 AM by Samwise »

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #39122 on: November 10, 2019, 11:55:11 AM

With all the science being thrown around here, perhaps the more relevant question is if you actually can manage to throw a convincing punch  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Also, your 100 kg bag (do they even come that heavy) is hanging from a chain.  Where you hit it matters a whole lot.  There probably is a sweet spot that will measure accurately, everywhere else will be wrong.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #39123 on: November 10, 2019, 03:22:42 PM

That part’s not rocket science; it’s right in the middle (ie you want the vector of your punch to go through the center of mass).  The further you are off that line the more you’re converting linear force to rotational force.  If you’ve spent some time working a bag you probably already knew this intuitively.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

The fact that the bag’s hanging from a chain matters more the further it’s displaced from rest, because then gravity is acting on it, but when it’s at rest gravity isn’t a factor in the direction we care about, and any friction from the chain is negligible compared to the weight of the bag.  Conveniently, the moment we’re most interested in measuring is that initial impact anyway. 

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #39124 on: November 10, 2019, 07:47:49 PM

You should just cut out the middleman and punch your phone.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #39125 on: November 10, 2019, 10:02:53 PM

With all the science being thrown around here, perhaps the more relevant question is if you actually can manage to throw a convincing punch  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Also, your 100 kg bag (do they even come that heavy) is hanging from a chain.  Where you hit it matters a whole lot.  There probably is a sweet spot that will measure accurately, everywhere else will be wrong.
For what it's worth, that's probably about as true of ribs as it is of the bag, so if you look at the problem probabilistically - not "can I break ribs" but "how likely am I to break ribs" - it all works out.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #39126 on: November 10, 2019, 10:57:50 PM

That part’s not rocket science; it’s right in the middle (ie you want the vector of your punch to go through the center of mass).  The further you are off that line the more you’re converting linear force to rotational force.  If you’ve spent some time working a bag you probably already knew this intuitively.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Haha, but that is kind my point.....it usually isn't in the middle in the real world.  All bags have their weight settle towards the bottom, some more than others depending on what they are made of.  Hitting it at the top is often like slapping a pillow, while hitting the bottom can actually hurt your hand.  Somewhat counterintuitively, it is often recommended to hit somewhere about 2/3rds up on the bag, even though the true center is probably somewhere like 1/3rd up on the bag.

This experiment makes a whole lot more sense in my head if you find a punchable object that is more uniform in its substance, and then it is square in the middle. If you only have punching bags to choose from, a lighter one will probably be more uniform.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #39127 on: November 11, 2019, 05:35:02 AM

Putting wife and baby in the car tomorrow morning and driving to my parents who live much further away from trees. Because FIREMAGEDDON.

Catastrophic fire danger is now forecast for the Greater Sydney, Greater Hunter and Illawarra Shoalhaven areas on Tuesday 12 November 2019, due to worsening weather conditions.

The fire danger is now expected to be worse than originally forecast. The Illawarra Shoalhaven has now been added as an area of Catastrophic fire danger.

Catastrophic is the highest level of bush fire danger. Homes are not designed to withstand a fire under these conditions.

If a fire starts and takes hold during Catastrophic fire danger conditions, lives and homes will be at risk.

The local volunteer firefighters have been racing (sorry, doing drills) around our block in their trucks, very excited for the big day.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #39128 on: November 11, 2019, 09:57:15 AM

Putting wife and baby in the car tomorrow morning and driving to my parents who live much further away from trees. Because FIREMAGEDDON.

Catastrophic fire danger is now forecast for the Greater Sydney, Greater Hunter and Illawarra Shoalhaven areas on Tuesday 12 November 2019, due to worsening weather conditions.

The fire danger is now expected to be worse than originally forecast. The Illawarra Shoalhaven has now been added as an area of Catastrophic fire danger.

Catastrophic is the highest level of bush fire danger. Homes are not designed to withstand a fire under these conditions.

If a fire starts and takes hold during Catastrophic fire danger conditions, lives and homes will be at risk.

The local volunteer firefighters have been racing (sorry, doing drills) around our block in their trucks, very excited for the big day.

Best of luck Tale, and hope the insurance companies down under are more reliable than they are up here for coverage during a disaster!
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #39129 on: November 12, 2019, 12:09:00 PM

So apparently I'm pre-diabetic.  Yay.  New primary also upped by thyroid meds slightly, so there's that too.

Pages: 1 ... 1116 1117 [1118] 1119 1120 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: