Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:28:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1106 1107 [1108] 1109 1110 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400762 times)
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #38745 on: June 17, 2019, 09:11:56 AM

You should tell someone your Steam password. Just in case...

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38746 on: June 17, 2019, 09:22:46 AM

Far Side is amazing.  Didn’t he stop making them ages ago?  A crime.

Seriously hoping things are good for Poly.  Scary shit.  I got a serious concussion way back when I was 16....lost 4 hours of time or so, but recovered quickly after that.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38747 on: June 17, 2019, 11:03:27 AM

You’d be vastly disappointed in my Steam library.  I actually have very few games on there.  My ancient ass likes owning an install disc when possible  Get off my lawn!

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #38748 on: June 17, 2019, 12:53:38 PM

Heh. I didn't even bother putting a DVD drive in my recent build. I really can't remember the last physical copy of a PC game I've bought. I'm done with physical media for the most part.

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #38749 on: June 17, 2019, 01:13:43 PM

I was bummed my Spider-man PS4 came with a physical Spidey disc for the game. Gah.

I was cleaning my closet because goddamned moths and found a stack of old game discs. I'm almost tempted to see if some of them will load up on windows 10!

Just kidding, I threw them all out lol
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38750 on: June 17, 2019, 02:43:28 PM

Official word: scan shows no time bombs lurking in the skull   awesome, for real

Just have to keep things slow until it clears up. Still feel like my head is half-filled with cotton, and more than a little exertion gives me vertigo, but it’s improving slowly.  I expect a couple weeks like as not.

Thank you all!

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #38751 on: June 17, 2019, 04:30:03 PM

Glad to hear it!
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #38752 on: June 17, 2019, 07:49:13 PM

Good to hear.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38753 on: June 17, 2019, 10:59:28 PM

No serious damage and a few weeks' excuse to do fuckall?  That's a better result than what it could have been.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #38754 on: June 17, 2019, 11:23:35 PM

Good. Glad you’re not a mental potato. Drink sparkling water. Feel superior. Be smug.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #38755 on: June 18, 2019, 11:45:10 PM

Yeah, I had Sky first in the deadpool. If you died before him, it would screw up my whole matrix.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #38756 on: June 19, 2019, 06:07:07 AM

Official word: scan shows no time bombs lurking in the skull   awesome, for real

Just have to keep things slow until it clears up. Still feel like my head is half-filled with cotton, and more than a little exertion gives me vertigo, but it’s improving slowly.  I expect a couple weeks like as not.

Thank you all!
Good to hear! (the lack of time bombs, not the lingering aftereffects of a concussion).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #38757 on: June 19, 2019, 09:21:59 AM

Yeah, I had Sky first in the deadpool. If you died before him, it would screw up my whole matrix.

--Dave
Ironically, I've lost most of my friends from my youth already and I'm well on my way to last man standing. Out of my 4 best friends, 3 are gone (1 just succumb to cancer this past weekend) and my deadlist is just about ten times longer than my fiancee's (she's in her mid-fifties). The memorial table at our reunion was packed full.

I'm kind of used to it, but having a really close friend go brought it all back again. Statistically improbable.

If I hadn't mended my wild ways, I'd definitely have been gone 20 years by now.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #38758 on: June 20, 2019, 07:59:50 PM

I hate getting credit cards. I finally bit the bullet and got a rewards card (the Chase Sapphire Preferred one everyone recommends) to cycle my monthly bills through (you know, the ones I pay off in full the 15th of every month). I still hate having it. As soon as it comes through I plan to cancel the old 'emergency' card that pays for vacations (which I either pay off over three months or the day I get back, depending on how expensive it is), and even lower the ridiculous limit they gave me (twice as much as I'm comfortable with), and I'll still have twice as much damn credit room open. I hate the damn expensive rate (it is a rewards card, the money has to come from some idiot). I hate the yearly fee.

That makes me nervous. I've got great credit. I pay off my bills on time. The yawning chasm of how much trouble I could get in makes me...uncomfortable.

Intellectually, I know it's a good move. Deep down I'm still 22 year old me, who did some stupid shit with credit cards and luckily got bailed out.

Day it arrives and I activate it, I plan to cut the limit they gave me in half, cancel my existing "oh shit" card, and I'll still have double the room. And I don't even hit 5% utilization as it is. Hell, it'll even simplify my bill paying.

I just obsess over how stupid I could be, you know? I'm in my 40s and I still worry I'm a dumbass kid.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #38759 on: June 20, 2019, 08:09:20 PM

I ran up a bunch of cc when I was young.  I now have 5 amex and 3 Chase cards and don't pay a dime of interest. Just takes a different mindset. If you get hooked on points it helps because that game is all about maximization and if you are paying interest at all it completely destroys the value proposition of it.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #38760 on: June 20, 2019, 08:51:27 PM

Day it arrives and I activate it, I plan to cut the limit they gave me in half, cancel my existing "oh shit" card, and I'll still have double the room. And I don't even hit 5% utilization as it is. Hell, it'll even simplify my bill paying.
FYI: lowering your total amount of available credit may actually may hurt your credit score.

schild
Administrator

Reply #38761 on: June 20, 2019, 09:11:12 PM

FYI: lowering your total amount of available credit may actually may hurt your credit score.

i really thought we'd all be really nice and let him discover that on his own
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #38762 on: June 20, 2019, 10:29:24 PM

I used to hate credit cards, but going through the hassle of getting approved for a mortgage without any prior credit history got me to grudgingly accept that it's useful to have a credit score that isn't "N/A".  Once I got my first credit card I discovered the points game, so the credit cards and I have a truce now.  I set them up to autopay in full every month so that I can mostly just pretend that they're debit cards, and they give me points that I can turn into cash.

The thing that freaks me out a lot more than whatever I could run up on a credit card is the fact that I can could, as far as I can tell, completely cash out my retirement savings with a few taps on my fucking phone, and nobody would try to stop me, any more than they would stop me putting a new car on my credit card.  But, y'know, all I have to do is Not Do That.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #38763 on: June 20, 2019, 10:36:26 PM

they will actually stop you from putting your car on a credit card

most places won't let you put more than $5k on it

source: tried, three times, two different states and called my bank and asked
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #38764 on: June 20, 2019, 10:52:07 PM

Amex Plat has a program where you can buy the whole thing on your card but you have to use their system where they basically set the price that is supposedly a "guaranteed savings" but who knows.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #38765 on: June 20, 2019, 11:05:07 PM

I've actually gotten big purchases put on a card by talking the seller into breaking up the total into pieces small enough to run and then doing a separate transaction each day until done. Nobody has tried to act like they were payments and charge me interest or even a service fee.

I should also say that I have gotten into the whole "credit card points as a game" mentality myself, and everything is paid off monthly.

I have heard from acquaintances that work within the credit business that people like us are known as "deadbeats."

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #38766 on: June 21, 2019, 06:11:58 AM

Interestingly even if you pay your balance every month, if you have a high balance compared to your limit then it will also lower your score. I don't really care since I'm hovering around 800 and I pay for everything in cash, but we do have a card or two for points.

We pay for the Amex Platinum so we can use airport lounges. I'm going to try using the points on it to partially pay for airfare today.

Now, if you just want to make bill paying easier, I will recommend using Privacy.com for this. Someone finally commercialized virtual debit numbers and provided a simple but effective way to manage payments. It already helped me where I set a limit on the one I use for PeachPass (Georgia govt toll pass) and I somehow managed to have it try to charge me 3 times, but due to the limit it only charged once. We also use it to buy things from Alibaba and Alibaba Express. Note that it is a debit card and you'll have to back it with a bank account.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #38767 on: June 21, 2019, 06:30:25 AM

On the topic of credit cards... I got way under water in the few years after college. So much so that I ended up at a credit agency and did a consolidation and spent the next 2 years paying that off... that was back in 2008. Defaulted on a student loan that I forgot about and my credit score was in the toilet hovering right in the 400s.

After coming to the realization that I am now considered an adult, I started taking my credit stuff pretty seriously and also shifted to being way more attentive to my finances. Since then, I have consolidated my student loans into a single loan payment under a payment plan, I keep 1 credit card and 1 bank card. The credit card I pay off within 2 months and is generally used only to cover work trips while I wait on reimbursements. I have kept my nose clean for the last 10 years and when I check my score last year I was around 800. Of course now, I am basically a miser and only splurge on games and occasional weekend get-aways with the wife. But it did take the scare of a credit score at basically the bottom of the barrel to shake me into being more cognizant of my money situation.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #38768 on: June 21, 2019, 06:48:43 AM

If you don’t want a card anymore, just don’t use it (usually for a year) and the bank will close it for inactivity. You calling and closing an account actually is a negative on your rating while the bank closing it has no impact outside of what your total limit to balance ratio is.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #38769 on: June 21, 2019, 07:53:37 AM

I ran up a bunch of cc when I was young.  I now have 5 amex and 3 Chase cards and don't pay a dime of interest. Just takes a different mindset. If you get hooked on points it helps because that game is all about maximization and if you are paying interest at all it completely destroys the value proposition of it.

Well, I've spent years cultivating the right mindset (as my empty card can attest). Avoiding interest charges isn't too hard, even if I'm doing something like paying for a big vacation up front and don't feel like drawing my savings down that far. It's not like i haven't had an open credit line with my CU for years, with a much more reasonable rate. I don't anticipate ever paying a freaking penny in interest rates.

It's just my nature to worry about it.

And yes, I know closing cards and adjusting limits down impacts your credit. However as long as it doesn't bump your utilization rate above 10%, it's a temporary ding and my credit can absolutely take it. I might adjust the limit and just leave the other card alone (as Chimpy suggested) until the bank closes it. Of course it's a credit union and they don't seem to care as long as you pay on time. Empty, not empty, it's no skin off their nose.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #38770 on: June 21, 2019, 08:48:31 AM

I have heard from acquaintances that work within the credit business that people like us are known as "deadbeats."

The credit system does not make a profit off people who pay off their debts every month. You are just the revenue that keeps the lights on. The real money is in the vast amounts of people who are fucking terrible with money, or who have to use their credit cards to keep from going under and then end up paying interest they can never pay down as well as late fees.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #38771 on: June 21, 2019, 09:33:40 AM

Undisciplined people allow me to get almost a grand a year in Amazon credit, so I dig it. However, I'd be a lot happier if the Fed would jack rates so I can earn by saving, instead.

I keep a couple cards, my Amazon rewards card being my 'push all money through that' card, because art books ain't cheap. Then a card from my bank as a backup. A third card that's all about zero interest balance transfers, from when I was recovering from buying my house and truck and didn't feel like living like a pauper for 5 years. Dodged interest almost completely and then paid it down quickly when I paid off the truck (and then I paid down the house completely, as well).

Now I'm debt-free. Fuck debt, it's a means to an end, not a state of existence. Not addressing financial hardship debt, that's a stickier wicket. And even then you'd better have an exit strategy before setting course.

Low interest credit is a blight on society.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #38772 on: June 21, 2019, 11:02:08 AM

Interestingly even if you pay your balance every month, if you have a high balance compared to your limit then it will also lower your score.

I can't even imagine having a monthly balance that high, as my limit is roughly what I spend in a year.

ACK!

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #38773 on: June 21, 2019, 11:06:35 AM

my limits combined are

uh

high

I'd have to be buying fucking giant diamonds and shit on the reg
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #38774 on: June 21, 2019, 12:08:13 PM

The AmEx doesn't have a actual limit, so I don't know how that is calculated. We plan for it as if we were paying in cash, but we charge it so we can get the points.

Turns out going to Europe 3 times is kinda expensive. Also a couple other places. Today I just bought plane tickets to Cancun, but that's on a different billing cycle.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #38775 on: June 21, 2019, 11:36:12 PM

Heh, I could pay off my mortgage with the cumulative available credit on my cards.  The low utilization rate is what is keeping my credit score high balanced against me churning through cards to get sign up bonuses.

-H.L. Mencken
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #38776 on: June 22, 2019, 09:30:10 AM

The credit system does not make a profit off people who pay off their debts every month. You are just the revenue that keeps the lights on. The real money is in the vast amounts of people who are fucking terrible with money, or who have to use their credit cards to keep from going under and then end up paying interest they can never pay down as well as late fees.
They might -- I suspect the fees they charge merchants are much higher than are needed to maintain their network. They don't make crazy money off people who pay their bills on time, of course. The crazy money is off the crazy people, who are often young 20-somethings.

Who, you know, are neurologically disposed to discounting long-term risks in favor of short-term gains, and have virtually no experience in managing money.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #38777 on: June 22, 2019, 10:56:15 AM

I had a crappy math teacher in 7th grade honors math, bombed out of the class. When I was signing up for 8th grade, there were two 'lesser' math options, regents and business. I took the business class and was all the wiser for it. Ever since I've felt there should be business math fairly early on for kids.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #38778 on: June 24, 2019, 06:21:21 AM

they will actually stop you from putting your car on a credit card

most places won't let you put more than $5k on it

source: tried, three times, two different states and called my bank and asked

This is true, I tried to run my back porch construction project through the card and no matter what I did no payment processor would run it.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #38779 on: June 24, 2019, 06:32:30 AM

That's why you get a corporate card for big purchases.
Pages: 1 ... 1106 1107 [1108] 1109 1110 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: