Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:08:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1101 1102 [1103] 1104 1105 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3401175 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #38570 on: May 12, 2019, 03:13:55 PM

I know people want to bring their dogs everywhere, but if your dog needs a muzzle and still tries to maul any dog that comes within 100', perhaps don't bring it to a bar with an outdoor seating area. It's normally a nice place to bring your dog, except those times someone's 150lb murder machine needs a night out. This city needs about 99% less pit mixes.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #38571 on: May 12, 2019, 07:49:34 PM

Or at the very least 99% less pit owners who are complete cockgobblers who don't know how to treat an animal.

WayAbvPar

Reply #38572 on: May 12, 2019, 09:59:33 PM

Don't worry. Global warming will take care of that whole area inside 40 years.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #38573 on: May 13, 2019, 08:20:06 AM

It's a race against biodome technology.

School almost over, will get to sleep late again. Starting off with a Memorial Day trip to the in-laws' lake house, then it's off to Barcelona, Nice, Monaco, Cinque, and Florence.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #38574 on: May 13, 2019, 04:06:57 PM

Was really taken aback last last week by a meeting with a senior administrator that I've known quite well for 20 years and who I've briefed twice in the last eight months about the work I'm doing where the admin not only completely forgot--I mean not even trying to fake it, just blanked--on the fact that we'd met twice recently to update on projects. It was almost to the point where I felt a bit as if the admin was struggling to remember my name or anything about me. The admin is under a lot of pressure right now, might just be sleep-deprived. But it was really demoralizing anyway.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38575 on: May 13, 2019, 04:14:34 PM

I've worked for people who barely remember what I do, but what you're describing sounds more like a (mental) health issue on their part.  Don't let it get to you.

Do keep an eye on them in case they need help. 

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #38576 on: May 14, 2019, 05:14:25 AM

Stress, no doubt.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #38577 on: May 14, 2019, 09:11:06 AM

If you've known the guy for 20 plus years yeah something is wrong, and it might be more than "just" mental. Memory and focus issues can be indicative of anywhere from a bad vitamin deficiency all the way to early dementia, mild stroke or tumor. (I was having some issues at one time and it turned out to be a B-12 deficiency, apparently.)

Or maybe he just needs a good night's sleep. But if I were you I might check with some other mutual friends and see if it was just you, or if he might need help and he doesn't realize.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #38578 on: May 16, 2019, 11:45:33 AM

I just stumbled upon some kind of renaissance faire?

That are the maidens you gonna get, sorry:

« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 11:51:19 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #38579 on: May 16, 2019, 12:18:56 PM

Looks more medieval to me, was Wolgemut there?
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #38580 on: May 18, 2019, 08:59:52 PM

Well, ATT has actually surpassed Comcast on my shit-list. Modem fried last week, with all the nasty storms we had. I was out of power 36 hours, and the modem was (thankfully) the only casualty. I take a day off to let ATT come fix it (because fuck it, I had a stressful few days with no power, scrubbing out a fridge, sourcing a replacement for a glass shelf that shattered when cleaning out a fridge, etc).

So far I've had two tech visits (The first to replace the modem, the second because regular 1500ms latency spikes). Second tech replaces everything. Does everything on the list for "bad connection". Changes at the neighborhood box, upgrading me to the latest modem, tests everything). Of course, second tech doesn't know what "latency" means.

So I give it two days, still getting regular spikes of 1500ms latency. (And by "regular" I mean "every three or four seconds"). Call tech support again. This guy pings a few servers right from my router (ie, not involving my home network at all) and sees the same thing. 36ms sometimes, 1500 to 1800 others).

It's been elevated to their network team. It only took a second visit (and a second day taking time off) and an angry phone call to convince them that yes, the information I was giving them ("it's the goddamn latency, please fucking test that, PLEASE, it's not in my house. I checked that. It's somewhere between my modem your network") for them to actually test the fucking thing I asked them to test.

Hopefully it's something simple -- bad router configuration upstream, or some slightly damaged bit of hardware from the storm.

I don't want to go back to Comcast, but 1500ms latency is fucking unbearable.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 09:24:29 PM by Morat20 »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #38581 on: May 18, 2019, 09:26:16 PM

Sounds like they'll need to send somebody out to find the part of the line that's damaged and repair/replace it.

I had a similar issue when I first moved into my current place with my Comcast line. There was a flaky wire between their cable distribution box and my place that had to be replaced. Took a few calls and trips before they figured out what was wrong/what to fix.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #38582 on: May 19, 2019, 05:04:58 AM

When I had Uverse dsl AT&T was singularly useless once it started ping-spikes/disco's. They never did replace the faulty line, told me to suck it up that I wasn't guaranteed connection stability. So back to Comcast it was.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #38583 on: May 19, 2019, 08:15:58 AM

When I had Uverse dsl AT&T was singularly useless once it started ping-spikes/disco's. They never did replace the faulty line, told me to suck it up that I wasn't guaranteed connection stability. So back to Comcast it was.
They actually said something that fucking stupid? Jesus.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #38584 on: May 19, 2019, 11:09:22 AM

They actually said something that fucking stupid? Jesus.

Yeah, AT&T is deliberately letting their dsl lines rot. For this and other reasons they should be on the top of the shit list for everybody, in my I guess not so humble opinion.

Fun story from years ago when I would still do any voluntary business with them: My residence dsl had much the same problem you are having. I ended up calling their trouble line twice a day for about two weeks, making the same trouble report every time. Finally, I had a tech guy knock on my door "just to let me know, not that it has anything to do with the problem you've been reporting, but I just replaced some components on the junction outside and you probably won't have that problem you were having that has nothing to do with why I'm out here."

I hate to imagine the internal policies that must be in place where technicians have to sneak out to actually fix something.

Second fun story: I have a property that only has AT&T as an option for any broadband whatsoever, and I *still* do business with a third party ISP just so I don't have to deal directly with AT&T tech support myself.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #38585 on: May 19, 2019, 02:21:24 PM

Back when I first got DSL in the late 90s, there was a period of about three months where my connection would be crummy, I'd call Pac Bell, they'd sent somebody out to debug and fix one of the many defects in the line, repeat.  I was probably the first person in my neighborhood to have DSL, so I blazed the trail for everyone else to get broadband a decade later.    awesome, for real  

It's to Pac Bell's credit that they did go through the whole ordeal of upgrading however many miles of line just for my benefit.

Nowadays I get Internet from a local wireless provider and it's fantastic.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #38586 on: May 19, 2019, 08:33:47 PM

Exclusive: Google suspends some business with Huawei after Trump blacklist - source

"Huawei will immediately lose access to updates to the Android operating system, and the next version of its smartphones outside of China will also lose access to popular applications and services including the Google Play Store and Gmail app.

>Google will stop providing any technical support and collaboration for Android and Google services to Huawei going forward."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-huawei-tech-alphabet-exclusive/exclusive-google-suspends-some-business-with-huawei-after-trump-blacklist-source-idUSKCN1SP0NB

Welp. Time for EuroOS!  Ohhhhh, I see.

No, seriously, this, if confirmed, is big.
Huaweis are about as popular than iPhone's in Europe.

Using a Mate 20 lite myself.

schild
Administrator

Reply #38587 on: May 19, 2019, 08:42:16 PM

counterpoint

fuck china and buy a new phone
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38588 on: May 19, 2019, 09:54:07 PM

Honestly, at this point, everyone has been able to see this shit coming with Huawei from a million miles away.  Buying their stuff and/or otherwise investing in Huawei has been a bad idea for a while now.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #38589 on: May 19, 2019, 10:00:13 PM

Yeah, well. Don't buy Huawei and tomorrow it's Xiamoi. And remind me again where iPhones are built?

Samsung isn't bad, but there is supposed to be a choice in a market.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38590 on: May 19, 2019, 10:28:01 PM

In this case, I think it has less to do with where they are built, and more to do with the company that actually controls the product.  I work in Information Security, which in no way makes me an expert on something like this, but I can tell you that from a corporate point-of-view, it has come to the point where we don't even bother looking at Chinese stuff.  We just assume it is toxic.  Privacy regulations are only becoming more strict, so Chinese shit is a non-starter.  We could see this coming years ago in Europe.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #38591 on: May 20, 2019, 03:39:03 AM

The big issue with Huawei is with the company and its very deep ties to the Chinese military. The founder/chairman is a “retired” general. It is the same reason why it is questionable to do business with Kaspersky if you don’t want the FSB to have an easy way to look at your shit.

The Chinese business world is corrupt as fuck but Huawei is by all indications even more entwined with the government than most.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38592 on: May 20, 2019, 04:34:53 AM

Yeah, that's basically the gist.  Even if some of the claims are exaggerated, it isn't worth the bother.  Just found out the other day that some of our Asian companies use WeChat for some official purposes (I don't even know all the functionality available in that app), and have decided to stick my head in the sand for the time being.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #38593 on: May 20, 2019, 08:01:59 AM

But the issue is there is a difference between Network switches for a company or smartphones for Joe Average. You just blocked the 3rs largest smartphone seller.

Plus, I think the mood regarding Huawei is a bit more relaxed here. See: 5G network infrastructure for Britain and Germany.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #38594 on: May 20, 2019, 08:50:22 AM

Plus, I am the latest one to defend the PRC, but to devil's advocate a bit :

My guess is in large parts of the world this action will cause Google to be seen as an extended arm of thr US government rather than Huawei one of China.

Edit : I looked up the local Austrian market share out of curiosity: 39% Samsung, 28% Huawei, 18% Apple.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 09:05:42 AM by calapine »

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #38595 on: May 20, 2019, 10:03:09 AM

The US doesn’t need Google’s help — the NSA is already sucking up almost all the Internet traffic that passes through the US*.

* Yes that ancient NSA Usenet meme turned out to be true
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #38596 on: May 20, 2019, 10:24:53 AM

I think one of the big problems here is that "Trump likes it, so it must be bad." Which yeah, is a good bet, but even if Trump comes out in favor of apple pie that doesn't mean I gotta stop eating it.

In a world with really extended lines, Huawei still managed to cross one, and I was under the impression that their security policies and oversights weren't flying too well in Europe either.

But yeah, if it brings more attention to everybody else's oversteps too, well good.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #38597 on: May 20, 2019, 11:29:47 PM

Yeah, I always got a kick out of people who demand stricter privacy laws, reigning in the tech companies, and fighting the NSA, as they text from their Huawei smart phone.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #38598 on: May 21, 2019, 09:14:23 AM

The Huawei shit is interesting. They're already super pissed at us for putting one of their execs under house arrest due to the US's request to extradite her. The Chinese government responded by arresting two random Canadians and declaring them as spies (they aren't).

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #38599 on: May 21, 2019, 12:25:21 PM

Would you tell us, if they were?

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38600 on: May 21, 2019, 10:51:58 PM

Would you believe him if he told you he would tell you?

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #38601 on: May 22, 2019, 05:56:09 AM

Does Huawei make phones under other brands? Because until this recent mess I had literally never heard of them, nor do I know anyone who owns a Huawei-branded phone.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #38602 on: May 22, 2019, 07:17:10 AM

Does Huawei make phones under other brands? Because until this recent mess I had literally never heard of them, nor do I know anyone who owns a Huawei-branded phone.

They don’t really sell them in the US.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #38603 on: May 22, 2019, 07:47:04 AM

They don’t really sell them in the US.

Intersting. But US seems to be iPhone country anyway, or?

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #38604 on: May 22, 2019, 08:10:01 AM

My impression is US is roughly 50% iPhone, 45% Android (primarily Samsung top tier, LG and Moto as middle tier). The other 5% are carriers such as Cricket and Tracphone, which are pay per minute burner styles.
Pages: 1 ... 1101 1102 [1103] 1104 1105 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: