Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:13:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1066 1067 [1068] 1069 1070 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400367 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #37345 on: February 13, 2018, 10:47:31 AM

Ab's question is interesting to me as I'm working with a colleague on two app ideas and neither of us do much coding. I assume before you involve a freelance person in the project you also need some fairly strong legal protection for the concept and design document? We're toying with trying to hire students or recent alums.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #37346 on: February 13, 2018, 12:25:45 PM

Not a waste of time and worst case you'll learn about modern programming. Nothing wrong with learning something new.

If you're going web application first, then mobile, I might suggest Ruby on Rails or Python/Django. Both can get you writing web code relatively quickly. At the very least you can prototype what you're trying to do. A big question is how you're planning to scrape the public info. Do they have an open API you can hook into? If no, then you're stuck literally scraping the HTML off and parsing it - which is expensive computationally and frustrating as hell to code around. Especially if the site being pulled from sucks.

I'm mostly going to echo what Hawkbit said here.  If you have the patience to learn how to code, do it.  For one thing everyone should, because it's a hugely valuable skill in the modern world, and for another thing you might find out that you like it; I have a theory that there's a lot of neural overlap between law and code.  For a while the internal apps developer at my last company was also our in-house counsel.  My own web experience is pretty minimal but I've heard good things about Rails and spent about a week last year learning Django and it seemed pretty all right.

Most of the stories I've heard about dev outsourcing suggest that you shouldn't do it unless you already know how you'd code the thing yourself and just want to save yourself a little time by giving someone else the spec and having them do the grunt work.  If you do go that route, treat it like having a contractor do work on your house -- demand references, be very clear about expectations, and be prepared to micromanage as needed.

I've recently heard really good things about Bubble, which bills itself as web development for people who can't code.  I'm generally pretty skeptical of these claims, but a friend of mine who manages engineering for a small company says he's been saving money by doing stuff himself in Bubble instead of outsourcing it -- it's easy enough to use that he can knock out an app in a day that would have taken a team of outsourcers a month, and that a client will pay a monthly fee to use.  I've been meaning to check it out.  It might well be that to get the best mileage out of it you still need to have a good knowledge of the underlying concepts, which goes back to my earlier recommendation that everyone should learn to code regardless.

Re: legal protection for your design, everyone steals everything, so I dunno if it's worth it unless you're pretty sure you have some patentable technological innovation.  Everybody steals stuff that's patented too, but if you own a few patents you can sell them to a large company to add to their deterrent stockpile.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 03:31:13 PM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #37347 on: February 13, 2018, 06:08:52 PM

Ab's question is interesting to me as I'm working with a colleague on two app ideas and neither of us do much coding. I assume before you involve a freelance person in the project you also need some fairly strong legal protection for the concept and design document? We're toying with trying to hire students or recent alums.

Something I know about!  Yes, I would have a "work for hire" clause in any written agreement that clearly sets forth terms of non-ownership by the freelancer.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #37348 on: February 14, 2018, 03:51:18 AM

Fuck London   

How's that family vacation going?

I have never ever run into so many rude, rude motherfuckers.   The stories I could tell.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #37349 on: February 14, 2018, 07:51:05 AM

You live in Scotland. I would expect that would feel like old home week with different accents.

It's the accents isn't it?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #37350 on: February 14, 2018, 08:05:16 AM

I'm pretty sure the stories about Scots being stabby are just put about to scare foreigners off.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #37351 on: February 14, 2018, 08:31:27 AM

Fuck London   

I have never ever run into so many rude, rude motherfuckers.   The stories I could tell.

Visit Paris.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #37352 on: February 14, 2018, 09:37:02 AM

Fuck London   

Visit Paris.

Spoke too soon?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/14/drunk-man-wielding-knife-stabs-six-paris-rampage/

A knife-wielding "drunken" man  sparked panic in the streets of Paris after "gratuitously" stabbing six people before being seized after a major police operation.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
schild
Administrator

Reply #37353 on: February 14, 2018, 09:42:54 AM

I meant Paris is about 50x ruder than London.

I mean, I've met Scottish people. I've spent a decent bit of time in London. They're both roughly the same in terms of being total funny-talking cocknabblers. But France trounces them both in a big way.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #37354 on: February 14, 2018, 01:19:42 PM

I lived in Paris for four years. I landed with only my 15-years distant secondary school French proficiency and I never, ever encountered any kind of shittiness from actual French people. The only incident I can remember was when I went to some hole-in-the-wall shawarma takeaway and the Maghrebi dude cooking on the oil drums kept holding his fingers up and repeating the numbers really slowly to me. I spoke pretty good French by that point so I told him I was a foreigner, not an idiot and went to a different shawarma joint (because really good Lebanese food is everywhere in Paris).

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #37355 on: February 14, 2018, 01:57:09 PM

I meant Paris is about 50x ruder than London.

I mean, I've met Scottish people. I've spent a decent bit of time in London. They're both roughly the same in terms of being total funny-talking cocknabblers. But France trounces them both in a big way.

I just thought the story and timing of it fitting with the thread.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #37356 on: February 15, 2018, 01:37:59 AM

I've been to Paris (and other parts of France) multiple times.  I've never really encountered the famed French rudeness or arrogance.  I always just thought it was made up, like Scottish Meanness (something that I really don't think exists either.)

On this particular trip, I assisted a woman with her pram up ALL the stairs and got nary a thanks, indeed she treated me as something alien.  I let a family go in front as they also had a pram and then watched in disbelief as they proceeded to stop dead in front of us, blocking us seemingly on purpose.  I watched AGHAST as a wheelchair user, clearly severely disabled, waited alongside another pram enabled family for an elevator and when it arrived, another fully abled family of MOTHERFUCKERS actually PUSHED IN IN FRONT OF THEM.  I spent the entire time saying sorry and thanks for various things, never once reciprocated.  We were pushed and shoved and handled with nothing but disdain.  The Flight Steward was shaking her head as she had to remind people twice that they should still be in their seats waiting to unbuckle, rather than dropping luggage on each other.  Watching people almost fucking eat each other for a subway space was almost normal as at least I was used to that.

Don't get me wrong ;  the service staff in all restaurants, shops and hotels were perfect and wondrous with only one exception (Harrods, what a shower of cunts the staff in there are).  But the actual people have had all the nice ground out of them and, frankly, I understand why ;  after two days of being nice and getting my cunt panned, I was sorely tempted to just unleash my inner fuckstick in pre-emptive disdain.

But that ain't a good look in front of Elena.

Anyway.  I'm home now.  Back to regular rockets and psychopaths.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #37357 on: February 15, 2018, 07:57:57 AM

I like the term cuntshower.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #37358 on: February 15, 2018, 12:48:44 PM

I like the term cuntshower.

how to bring that to bedroom pillow talk  why so serious?

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #37359 on: February 15, 2018, 12:58:54 PM

You could probably Google it, but I don't know that you'd want to.

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #37360 on: February 15, 2018, 02:23:22 PM

probably not while at work  ACK!

So, GF told her 11 year old son that we are dating. His response was "are you going to marry? I think he would make a cool dad".

Then last night night he gave me a hug goodnight as I was leaving.   This is equal parts  Love Letters and well we don't have an emoji for "run the fuck away" 

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #37361 on: February 15, 2018, 03:01:39 PM

I once stayed with a smoking hot but also completely insane mechabitch for several months longer than I wanted to because her kids were awesome and responded well to having an actual caring parent around.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #37362 on: February 15, 2018, 03:14:14 PM

She is neither insane nor a megabitch, but I work with enough workaholics to know that this will become an issue. The kid is smart and quirky and is absolutely hooked on gaming... which is about the last thing she probably wants me to relate to him over (the ex sounds like he gave up on life and pretty much just games... you know what I was doing 12 years ago  why so serious? )

anyways...

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #37363 on: February 15, 2018, 07:30:20 PM

Everyone in Scotland and Paris was super nice to me, even that one stereotypical englishman.  I'd say about half the Germans were also nice, in their way.  The rest of them kept to their own fucking business.

Supposed to fly to Berlin tomorrow but Lufthansa cancelled the flight.  While waiting for a resolution, I'm trying to learn a little Hungarian so I can get smiles and hugs while in Budapest.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #37364 on: February 16, 2018, 02:02:33 AM

You're stuck in Budapest? My condolences.

Let me know if you need any tips on what kind of glass beads and trinkets to toss at the natives so that they won't kidnap and/or murder you.

edit: Some relevant phrases -- "kurva anyád" ("fuck you"... or close enough), "a faszomat ebbe a kibaszott kurva életbe" ("fuck this shit"), "a légpárnás hajóm tele van angolnákkal" ("my hovercraft is full of eels"), "megkelkáposztástalaníthatatlanságoskodásaitokért" ("as a response to your ways that can only be described as un-savoy-cabbage-able")

... seriously though, "köszönöm"="thanks", "jó napot"="good day" (greeting), "viszlát"="goodbye", though you probably knew these already.

Be sure to visit the Pinball Museum in addition to generic_downtown_tourist_shit_01. Also, pick up some pálinka as well as other culinary stuff depending on preferences. Also also, here's a crash course on the city. (it's satire... OR IS IT?!)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 02:47:13 AM by Zetor »

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #37365 on: February 16, 2018, 04:21:12 AM

The Palinka is a trap.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
WayAbvPar

Reply #37366 on: February 16, 2018, 11:04:23 AM

Also, everyone I know said Love was bad. If you've never done O, it's one of the first and it's spectacular.

Love was one of the best experiences I have ever had. It probably helps that I am a massive Beatles fan. If you don't like the Beatles (and what the fuck is wrong with you), it is still probably as good as any other CDS show.

Going to be in Vegas Thursday through Monday afternoon for my birthday. Canucks game Friday, Penn and Teller Saturday.  Friends are all leaving Sat night or Sunday morning, so I will be alone in Vegas on my birthday! Which is absolutely fine with me- I get to do exactly what I want all day long. Might go see Love again Sunday night, in fact awesome, for real

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #37367 on: February 16, 2018, 05:04:51 PM

My Mother, sister and Nephew are visiting Edinburgh. I'm fully expecting the horor stories to be epic. Don't disappoint, Scotland!

Hic sunt dracones.
schild
Administrator

Reply #37368 on: February 16, 2018, 10:52:59 PM

Also, everyone I know said Love was bad. If you've never done O, it's one of the first and it's spectacular.

Love was one of the best experiences I have ever had. It probably helps that I am a massive Beatles fan. If you don't like the Beatles (and what the fuck is wrong with you), it is still probably as good as any other CDS show.

Going to be in Vegas Thursday through Monday afternoon for my birthday. Canucks game Friday, Penn and Teller Saturday.  Friends are all leaving Sat night or Sunday morning, so I will be alone in Vegas on my birthday! Which is absolutely fine with me- I get to do exactly what I want all day long. Might go see Love again Sunday night, in fact awesome, for real

Are you here now? I’m here now. Through Monday.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #37369 on: February 19, 2018, 08:03:35 AM

My Mother, sister and Nephew are visiting Edinburgh. I'm fully expecting the horor stories to be epic. Don't disappoint, Scotland!

If the UK could unfuck itself from its populist moron voting block (things to not emulate from your colony, yo), kill Brexit, or the Scots secede and stay in EU (preferably with a united Ireland, hah)...I'd contemplate retiring to Edinburgh at least for a few years. I'd attend the Academy of Realist art there.

As it is, Toronto is much more likely despite it's proximity to the future postapoc landscape to teh south.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #37370 on: February 19, 2018, 08:20:57 AM

If the UK could unfuck itself from its populist moron voting block (things to not emulate from your colony, yo), kill Brexit, or the Scots secede and stay in EU (preferably with a united Ireland, hah)...I'd contemplate retiring to Edinburgh at least for a few years. I'd attend the Academy of Realist art there.

NEAARGHHH! If you want Northern fucking Ireland you can have it. Hell, Scotland, we will pay you to take it off our hands! Its not THAT bad. Hey Russia, want a military base? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Anyway they had a great time, how disappointing.

Hic sunt dracones.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #37371 on: February 19, 2018, 10:08:43 AM

As it is, Toronto is much more likely despite it's proximity to the future postapoc landscape to teh south.

Dude you can do a lot better than Toronto if your heart is set on CDN.  Ask in the Immigration thread.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #37372 on: February 20, 2018, 11:56:41 AM

It's Toronto or Ottawa. Academy of Realist Art.

Though by retirement time, I may already have surpassed most of the training levels if I get off my ass.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #37373 on: February 20, 2018, 12:22:53 PM

For retirement I think that Ottawa would be way better than Toronto. Ottawa is a smaller city but it`s the capital of the country so it has all the big city conveniences. It`s much cheaper than Toronto and since it`s the capital they have all kinds of festivals for tourists all year long. If you live downtown and pick the right address you can have the RCMP marching band going by every morning. I always kinda liked that.
WayAbvPar

Reply #37374 on: February 21, 2018, 04:48:55 PM

Are you here now? I’m here now. Through Monday.

Arriving tomorrow. Just missed you!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #37375 on: February 24, 2018, 05:58:41 PM

Works feels as bleak to me as it has ever felt. Wrong decisions by other people that I can't even protest meaningfully.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #37376 on: February 24, 2018, 07:52:03 PM

Managing 3 teenaged girls at work is way harder than herding cats. And less rewarding.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #37377 on: February 25, 2018, 12:18:05 PM

Obviously you're doing it wrong. #MeToo

--Signature Unclear
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #37378 on: February 26, 2018, 08:02:05 AM

You're stuck in Budapest? My condolences.

Let me know if you need any tips on what kind of glass beads and trinkets to toss at the natives so that they won't kidnap and/or murder you.

These people couldn't kidnap their way out of a paper bag.

... seriously though, "köszönöm"="thanks", "jó napot"="good day" (greeting), "viszlát"="goodbye", though you probably knew these already.

I showed up with jo reggelt, jo napot, and jo estet.  I picked up kosonom and forgot the rest.  Hungarian is absolute moon language, unless you're Finnish, I guess.

My short post was a bit misleading.  The ATL -> FRA flight was cancelled, so I had to take United to ORD (Chicago) then Munich (where I got to sit in a de-icing for the first time) then Berlin.

The rest of the trip was Berlin -> Dresden -> Prague -> Krakow -> Banska Bystrica -> Budapest.  Crammed in a lot of things.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #37379 on: February 26, 2018, 08:18:58 AM

Never had to sit through de-icing? Oh you sweet summer child.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Pages: 1 ... 1066 1067 [1068] 1069 1070 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: