Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:43:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1060 1061 [1062] 1063 1064 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400397 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #37135 on: December 05, 2017, 06:51:27 AM

So the doctor came out a bit after 6pm to say they were finished finally.  The good news is he didn't have to replace/patch as much of the aorta as they initially thought, along with doing the valve.  They used wire and plates to close up his ribs and he's going to have one hell of a scar, but that's not a big deal.

I didn't get into to see him in the ICU until 8pm and it took a while for the sedative to wear off and him starting to wake up.  The nurses pulled his breathing tube about 11pm and put him on a breathing mask, so I at least got to say hi before I had to leave.  I didn't get home until 1am, so I'm a bit tired at work this morning.  My mom was going to see him this morning and I'm leaving work a bit early to see him this afternoon.  He called me before I left for work because they already have him up and out of bed, sitting in a chair, so that's got to be good.  Sounded groggy and said he felt like he'd been hit by a truck, which I expected.

Anyways, the really hard part is over, now to the longer hard part of recovery. :) 

Good to hear.

I'm in the group that really feels the anesthesia is the worst part to worry about because that is the thing that is likely to kill someone.  I always get frantic when they put my wife under for something even routine as a colonoscopy.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #37136 on: December 05, 2017, 07:52:49 AM

Glad he's doing well Rhyssa.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #37137 on: December 05, 2017, 08:26:41 AM

Anesthesia doesn't seem to be that risky thankfully:

Perioperative and anaesthetic-related mortality in developed and developing countries: a systematic review and meta-analysis

Mortality solely attributable to anaesthesia declined over time, from 357 per million (95% CI 324–394) before the 1970s to 52 per million (42–64) in the 1970s–80s, and 34 per million (29–39) in the 1990s–2000s (p<0·00001). Total perioperative mortality decreased over time, from 10 603 per million (95% CI 10 423–10 784) before the 1970s, to 4533 per million (4405–4664) in the 1970s–80s, and 1176 per million (1148–1205) in the 1990s–2000s (p<0·0001).

But see your point, I wouldn't worry with those chances when having an operation myself, but feel different if it was my sister being put under.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #37138 on: December 05, 2017, 10:03:42 AM

Good news, Rhyssa - thoughts are with you and yours.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #37139 on: December 05, 2017, 02:12:36 PM

That's good to hear Rhyssa. I'm sorry about the scarring though. He might get depressed if he can't wear a speedo at the beach anymore. :)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #37140 on: December 05, 2017, 10:03:29 PM

I had some extra cash and decided to buy Skyrim on the Switch, because playing it a fourth time, this time from bed sounds wonderful. However, my daughter found it and is freaking out about how awesome it is - she's 12 and never had the experience like we did when it came out.

It's really exciting watching her explore Bleak Falls Barrow, or trying to figure out who the "bad guys" are between Imps and Stormcloaks.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #37141 on: December 06, 2017, 04:57:58 AM

They really did do a good job equating the 2 sides. No matter who you chose you will feel a little bad when you win.

Hic sunt dracones.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #37142 on: December 06, 2017, 06:42:10 AM

Which is why you choose no side but the Dragonborn!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #37143 on: December 06, 2017, 10:44:25 AM

That's good to hear Rhyssa. I'm sorry about the scarring though. He might get depressed if he can't wear a speedo at the beach anymore. :)

Oh trust me, our speedo/bikini wearing days are loooooooong behind us.  We is old. :(

Hopefully they move him out of the ICU to a regular room today.  On the plus side, I'm doing some much walking around the hospital that I've made my lame step goal for the past two days, lol!

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #37144 on: December 06, 2017, 10:46:00 PM

I thought old was the only acceptable way to wear a speedo?
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #37145 on: December 07, 2017, 06:42:27 AM

why so serious?

Well - hairy old men and guys on a swim team.  Bonus points for a boys high school swim team, because they look really, really unfinished and awkward at those ages.  I've gone to one boys swim meet over the years the husband has been officiating and couldn't get over how young the swimmers looked and just how awkward (looking) teenage boys are. 

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #37146 on: December 07, 2017, 06:45:25 AM

Remember to tell him to take it easy.  Even if he doesn't want to.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #37147 on: December 07, 2017, 06:54:04 AM

I know and have.  He feels guilty for dozing off when I'm there in the evenings and I've said multiple times that sleep is a big help now.  What he doesn't need to take it easy on is working his arms.  He woke up and they both felt like it does when you fall asleep on your arm wrong and it's all tingly and doesn't want to work.  Probably from the position they had him in for the surgery.  Feeling is coming back and he can move his fingers fine on both hands, but he really does need to work them more to get the feeling back.

Otherwise, the doctor and nurses are all really pleased with his progress.  All his vitals are spot on every time.  And he's apparently not feeling as much pain as they expect, so I guess that's a bonus, lol!

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #37148 on: December 07, 2017, 07:20:31 AM

What he doesn't need to take it easy on is working his arms.  He woke up and they both felt like it does when you fall asleep on your arm wrong and it's all tingly and doesn't want to work.  Probably from the position they had him in for the surgery.  Feeling is coming back and he can move his fingers fine on both hands, but he really does need to work them more to get the feeling back.
Boobs are magical. Just sayin'  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #37149 on: December 07, 2017, 07:39:55 AM

Glad things are going well, Rhyssa. Hope he recovers quickly.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #37150 on: December 08, 2017, 07:32:31 AM

I'm glad he's doing okay.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #37151 on: December 08, 2017, 11:01:05 AM

What he doesn't need to take it easy on is working his arms.  He woke up and they both felt like it does when you fall asleep on your arm wrong and it's all tingly and doesn't want to work.  Probably from the position they had him in for the surgery.  Feeling is coming back and he can move his fingers fine on both hands, but he really does need to work them more to get the feeling back.
Boobs are magical. Just sayin'  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

I'm sure the nurses would be thrilled to see that form of therapy.  ACK!  And they are very attentive and around to help.. all the time. :D

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #37152 on: December 08, 2017, 01:34:44 PM

Just finished moving to a new, smaller house. Decluttering was good, reorganized finances are good. I think renting is going to be good.

Moving in the middle of a really busy time at work and having to do a lot of stuff to get the old house ready for the buyer walk-through was not good. I'm not sure I've ever felt this tired, at least not since my daughter was born. Really struggling to catch-up.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #37153 on: December 08, 2017, 08:11:01 PM

Anniversary thoughts: One, found an excellent German restaurant. Two, an evening of good German food and a weird mix of German and country and western reminds me  literally my entire childhood experiences with my deceased German grandmother, but not in a bad way. Three, finishing the evening listening to Sounds of Silence and introducing my wife to Disturbed's surprisingly powerful cover of it worked out well.

Lastly, drank just enough really good German beer and am feeling I should learn German and also accordion.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #37154 on: December 09, 2017, 07:01:52 AM

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #37155 on: December 09, 2017, 08:38:10 AM

If someone is a bit interested in the military and likes picture stories:

An Italianan Redditior followed the Virginio Fasa combating piracy on the Somali coast.

Not much fighting , but it gives a nice overview of how such a mission works.

The activities of EU's military operation Atalanta in the last 5 months. A tale of pirates, orphans and endless training.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 08:47:06 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #37156 on: December 09, 2017, 10:47:22 PM

Ok, so I had a like, twenty-two year old girl say to me tonight at a bar "I am going to hang my coat up behind you, just don't want you to think I am harassing you."  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

May you live in interesting times, eh?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #37157 on: December 10, 2017, 10:13:10 AM

If someone is a bit interested in the military and likes picture stories:

An Italianan Redditior followed the Virginio Fasa combating piracy on the Somali coast.

Not much fighting , but it gives a nice overview of how such a mission works.

The activities of EU's military operation Atalanta in the last 5 months. A tale of pirates, orphans and endless training.

Interesting; my old job lives on I guess.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #37158 on: December 10, 2017, 05:27:31 PM

Husband came home from the hospital today.  He's resting in bed now (I convinced him to do that so he could sleep if he wanted, and also because rest is good for him).

If he survives this part of his recovery, it'll be a miracle.   why so serious?

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #37159 on: December 10, 2017, 08:21:52 PM

<obligatory gif of kitten hanging from coat hanger with 'hang in there' inspirational quote>
Seriously tho, glad he's home safe and sound.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #37160 on: December 11, 2017, 07:44:46 AM

Yeah recovery is rough. Good luck 👍
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #37161 on: December 11, 2017, 02:02:14 PM

Ok, so I had a like, twenty-two year old girl say to me tonight at a bar "I am going to hang my coat up behind you, just don't want you to think I am harassing you."  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

This is how you turn into an old codger.  Seems inevitable that we are on the other end of things as we age.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #37162 on: December 11, 2017, 02:52:06 PM

This is how you turn into an old codger.  Seems inevitable that we are on the other end of things as we age.

That was no where near the weirdest "young women interacting with old codgers" moment of the night.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #37163 on: December 11, 2017, 11:43:23 PM

Looks like the "man flu" might actually be somewhat based in fact.  There was some research done and it showed that men do in fact have a higher rate of getting the flu and suffer more severe symptoms, even having a higher rate of flu related deaths.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/flu-man-flu-influenza-immune-testosterone-man-sexes-1.4442806
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #37164 on: December 14, 2017, 09:16:24 PM

Just scored a sweet flight to Amsterdam in April for me and the family so need to hear some fun/interesting things to do there and within day or 2 day trip range.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #37165 on: December 15, 2017, 12:49:59 PM

Heh.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #37166 on: December 15, 2017, 01:12:13 PM

Just scored a sweet flight to Amsterdam in April for me and the family so need to hear some fun/interesting things to do there and within day or 2 day trip range.
There's a shit-ton to do in Amsterdam and it's not all red-light tourism and weed cafés. It's a really pretty city with some great architecture. Taking a boat trip down the canals is super fun. There's the Rijksmuseum, the Stedelijk and the Van Goh house if you want culture and the Ann Frank house if you want to see more recent history.

As for stuff within easy reach outside the city, it has superb links to most of NW Europe. You can take the Thalys and be in Paris in ~4 hours. Köln is a short trip away too. Staying in the Netherlands, there's Scheveningen if the weather is nice and you want some beach time.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #37167 on: December 16, 2017, 01:21:20 AM

I legit may have to find a Royale with cheese and a beer in a glass.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #37168 on: December 16, 2017, 07:38:24 AM

The only time I ate at McDonald's in Europe was in Koln.  There was something with a weird name but I forget what it was.  The only real difference between there and here is that for once the people behind the counter couldn't understand me.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #37169 on: December 16, 2017, 10:21:14 AM

The first time I went to Europe it was with a Midwesterner and I'm pretty sure we ate in a McDonald's and/or Burger King in every country we visited.  The only time that I needed to act as interpreter for her was in London.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Pages: 1 ... 1060 1061 [1062] 1063 1064 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: