Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:03:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1061 1062 [1063] 1064 1065 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3427315 times)
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #37170 on: December 16, 2017, 01:16:26 PM

Yeah, I agree with IainC -- Amsterdam has a lot of good stuff, and you can reach most of Europe (the good parts, anyway) within a few hours. For destinations off the beaten path, visiting Efteling could be fun for kids, it's kinda like a low-key Disneyland with local fables instead of the well-known franchises. Bonus: animatronics speaking in incomprehensible languages! Bruges is not THAT far if you rent a car, though it's more of a 2-day trip best combined with some other locales in Netherlands/Belgium along the way; it's is a pretty awesome city, and not just for revisiting the locations from the movie.  awesome, for real

For the 'royale with cheese' aspect, there was a pretty legit McD's in Milan, but I think they forced them out to make room for more Gucci shops or whatever. /sadf

(Regarding London, obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGuGzH3Ne5w )
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 01:22:40 PM by Zetor »

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #37171 on: December 19, 2017, 04:28:07 PM

When you have fiber and find a server that can deliver, boy does it deliver.

- Viin
schild
Administrator

Reply #37172 on: December 19, 2017, 06:20:00 PM

I have found NOTHING that can max out my fiber connection. That, of course, won't matter soon because nn.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #37173 on: December 22, 2017, 10:07:42 PM

Ha, just heard Body Count's updated "Institutionalized."  Funny as hell. Didn't know that band was still around.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #37174 on: December 23, 2017, 06:19:20 AM

Ha, just heard Body Count's updated "Institutionalized."  Funny as hell. Didn't know that band was still around.
Is it a cover of the Suicidal Tendencies song?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #37175 on: December 23, 2017, 01:02:06 PM

Sorta. They update the lyrics but it is the same basic song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9jXnZS3ouU

NSFW obviously

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #37176 on: December 23, 2017, 06:02:00 PM

Man I wish I knew someone affiliated with the airport authority (or local government) in Salt Lake City.  why so serious?

I spent like fifteen minutes driving in circles after leaving the rental car garage trying to find the way out because their construction barriers detour you all over the place but there are no “To EXIT” signs anywhere along the road it takes you down. Then the one sign I did see (which ended up being the correct one) routed me into the long term parking entrance and forced me to take a ticket.  swamp poop

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #37177 on: December 23, 2017, 08:05:33 PM

That place is a disaster right now.  Part of the problem is it is constantly shifting, so I'm not surprised their signing sucks.  I'll send an email to the attorney who works for them but I doubt it will do anything.

-H.L. Mencken
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #37178 on: December 24, 2017, 02:41:45 AM

At Madrid Barajas airport, they put the signage on the fucking floor. So when it's busy (which it always is), you can't see the directions.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #37179 on: December 24, 2017, 08:36:02 AM

Merry Christmas you all!  Heart

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #37180 on: December 24, 2017, 09:19:12 AM

Frohe Weihnachten!

(Did I get it right?)

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #37181 on: December 24, 2017, 11:11:30 AM

Yes, you did!

First Christmas I don't spend with family or sis, and after 17:00 it's really the quietest time of the year.

All cafés closed, so my plan to go there, read some didn't work out. Even the McDonalds are shut.

The main street through town is pretty empty as well, and it's not confirmation bias when I say the Arab-Turk ratio of the few people is unusually high. 50%+.

No wonder depressed people kill themselves, nothing left to do.

Like in the Kipling poem..*googles*

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains,
And the women come out to cut up what remains,
Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
   An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

I ended up getting a Kebap-to-go and now omw home...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 11:21:48 AM by calapine »

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #37182 on: December 24, 2017, 11:14:48 AM

Merry Christmas to all the F13ers and Happy Holidays!

We're getting a white Christmas here in Chicagoland, which is fine since all driving is done until Tuesday morning.  Yay!

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #37183 on: December 24, 2017, 12:24:43 PM

And that made find something nice:

A composition setting poems to his own music.

My favourites so far:

Kipling - The Young British Soldier

Kipling - Arithmetic on the Frontier

Shakspeare - Song of the Witches

Edit: And that reminds me:

Here is a book recommenddation:

The story of the Brits first afghan war. Even if you are not interested in military matters -  the book reads like a Thriller.

And the story is true but almost unbelievable. The advantage of real life, it can do things that wouldn't work in a fiction book for being too over the top or cliche...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 12:36:01 PM by calapine »

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #37184 on: December 24, 2017, 12:29:54 PM

I’d mail y’all Mai Tais for Christmas, but I dont’t think they’ll travel well

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #37185 on: December 24, 2017, 02:33:09 PM

Merry Christmas crazy people. I am spending it skiing by myself because family gatherings are for the birds.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #37186 on: December 24, 2017, 03:34:00 PM

Chimpy mentioned in the funny picture thread:
Oxy cutting torches don't actually cut by melting steel, they cut by accelerating the oxidation process until it rusts through :p

Christmas alone, and deciding to be forcefully-hyper is better than feeling lonely + Wikipedia, lead to this:

Oxy fuel cutting >
Laser cutting [Some detours about welding, steel sorts, Berrylium copper, Induction cooking] >
Faserlaser >
Maser >
GPS >
UTMREF (What you call MGRS) [Which I had to learn to use years ago (so some emotional connection) as it replaced our older Gauss-Krüger BMN system sometime around...uhh..before my time anyway] >
UTM (Universal Tansverse Mercator)

And now I found that an Austrian (like me!) cartographer (who is also geologist, mountain researcher & mountaineer (some people only life to make you feel inadäquate, sigh!)) who went to school in Linz (like me, again, even same schooltype!) found out that UTM dates back to the Wehrmacht in 1942, not the US Army Corps of Engineers in the postwar period, as is commonly started.

Mind  >
Blown

Geodetic grids in authoritative maps – new findings about the origin of the UTM Grid

« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 03:40:23 PM by calapine »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #37187 on: December 24, 2017, 05:17:30 PM

It's still Christmas Eve here but I've had some wine so MERRY CHRISTMAS, MOTHERFUCKERS!

Also, there's a radio station in town that has been playing Neil Diamond's Cherry, Cherry on continual loop for the last 12 days straight. I don't mean it's been played back to back with breaks in between, I mean, it's been played on a literal loop with no pauses, longos, breaks, commercials, or even station ID breaks for 12 STRAIGHT FUCKING DAYS. No explanation, nothing, just a long form surreal nightmare of Neil Diamond's best over and over into madness.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #37188 on: December 24, 2017, 05:40:09 PM

A day that started with a cat barfing on my face, ending with some video games and MST3K Hercules.

So a typical xmas-eve.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #37189 on: December 24, 2017, 06:15:42 PM

I skied most the day, drank most the afternoon/early evening, and now I am watching Bad Santa on my iPad from my hotel room. Merry fucking Christmas F13.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #37190 on: December 24, 2017, 09:11:56 PM

It's still Christmas Eve here but I've had some wine so MERRY CHRISTMAS, MOTHERFUCKERS!

Also, there's a radio station in town that has been playing Neil Diamond's Cherry, Cherry on continual loop for the last 12 days straight. I don't mean it's been played back to back with breaks in between, I mean, it's been played on a literal loop with no pauses, longos, breaks, commercials, or even station ID breaks for 12 STRAIGHT FUCKING DAYS. No explanation, nothing, just a long form surreal nightmare of Neil Diamond's best over and over into madness.
My question is...how do you know this? HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN LISTENING!?

Yeah, Merry Christmas, folks. One mom is ill and the other doesn't want to drive in the blowing snow predicted, so it looks like me and the fiancee just might crack a bottle of prosecco or two and sit in front of the fire while the snow stacks up. And eat rib roast until we pass out.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #37191 on: December 24, 2017, 09:49:24 PM

My wife has done most the Christmas shopping this year while I didn't feel well. So she's been driving a lot and when she drives, she listens to the radio (I never do, I listen to Spotify). She's also a horrible ADD listener, so she's constantly switching channels. She discovered it and kept coming back to the station to see if it was still happening. She used to intern in radio, so she's just aghast as the royalties and FCC fines the station has to be paying.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #37192 on: December 24, 2017, 10:37:54 PM

License is probably being sold.  They will put placeholders in there while it is getting sorted out.

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #37193 on: December 25, 2017, 01:19:19 AM

I skied most the day, drank most the afternoon/early evening, and now I am watching Bad Santa on my iPad from my hotel room. Merry fucking Christmas F13.

You lucked out my friend. There was zero snow a week ago.  How long are you going to be in town?

-H.L. Mencken
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #37194 on: December 25, 2017, 02:53:16 AM

About to engage in my annual Christmas tradition of watching Survive Style 5+.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #37195 on: December 25, 2017, 05:15:33 AM

Merry Christmas, every ONE.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I spent the 23rd with my family since all the cousins could come in with their broods, save for my youngest cousin who works as a TV station producer. He facetimed with us for a few minutes. Then drove from Cleveland area across Pennsyltucky, outside Harrisburg for the inlaws. Now sitting here watching my 18 month old niece find all her presents under the tree.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #37196 on: December 25, 2017, 05:34:55 AM

Happy Christmas!

Hic sunt dracones.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #37197 on: December 25, 2017, 06:54:55 AM

You lucked out my friend. There was zero snow a week ago.  How long are you going to be in town?

I drove up to Sun Valley ID on Saturday to ski a couple days here. I am driving back down to Ogden tomorrow morning to hit up Snowbasin and Powder Mountain the rest of the week. Flying back out on Saturday afternoon. Will be back in SLC next Friday-following Wednesday to ski Alta/Snowbird for 4 days for a short club trip I am trip leader on.

I think I am what brings snow to SLC, same thing happened last year where I arrived in pouring rain in the valley and the mountains were getting their first real dumping of snow. Of course I missed the really good snow that got dumped on Christmas Day as I was leaving.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #37198 on: December 25, 2017, 08:06:30 AM

Merry Christmas All. We have a white Christmas here in Seattle.
WayAbvPar

Reply #37199 on: December 25, 2017, 10:40:21 AM

Merry Christmas All. We have a white Christmas here in Seattle.

Only like the 3rd time in my life we have had snow on Christmas around here. Still snowing, as a matter of fact!

Merry Christmas, all.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #37200 on: December 25, 2017, 01:25:31 PM

Merry Christmas, everyone!

It's nice and sunny and freezing outside, which means the snow from yesterday is that light fluffy powdery stuff. Made it really easy to shovel off the driveway by hand because why not?  Helped me get some steps in today.  Now I'm debating what to do next - put in a load of laundry, prep some paper for painting later, or be extra lazy and log into FFXIV.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #37201 on: December 25, 2017, 01:55:40 PM

It’s so cold I had to jump start the tractor to plow the driveway so I can drive to the airport to fly to Kauai.  Mango coladas, here I come

justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #37202 on: December 25, 2017, 02:52:31 PM

Merry xmas/saturnalia/whatever the fuck, all y'all I rarely speak to but lurk at!

Glad to hear your hubsteaks got through that better than expected, Rhyssa! And Calapine, that sounds worth it as a Christmas narrated by James Burke.

I didn't get a lot of material shit this year, but experientially, I sent an bong to a cop, named someone's cat after an opioid receptor, and got used over facetime as a badge in a teppanyaki place to dissuade an older gentleman from hitting on someone's girlfriend. I'm happy.

I also discovered that my favorite of the 'Nine Inch Nails Songs to Seduce Impressionable Emo Men To' is actually a cover of a queen song from 1977, so what the fuck. I'm going to have to proceed from 'tipsy xmas' to 'Man, I *used* to be able to play MWO'

"They started to resist with a crust that was welded with human brain and willpower."
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #37203 on: December 25, 2017, 09:43:53 PM

Merry Christmas to everyone!

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #37204 on: December 26, 2017, 04:31:49 PM

Merry Christmas.

Took me an extra hour+ to drive back down to DC from NJ. Fucking morons on I95, especially Maryland drivers.  swamp poop

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Pages: 1 ... 1061 1062 [1063] 1064 1065 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: