Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:54:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1056 1057 [1058] 1059 1060 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400607 times)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #36995 on: November 08, 2017, 06:03:12 PM

Anyone know anything about moving to Canada?  Yes, I'm serious.

You probably would have an easier time of it than most of us since you are a medical doctor.

And I am sure there is a lot of information at their immigration department's website.  tongue

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #36996 on: November 08, 2017, 07:51:41 PM

Anyone know anything about moving to Canada?  Yes, I'm serious.
Me, too, man. If it weren't for the state pension, I'd probably have moved years ago. I'm close enough that it's not a huge climate change for me, either (actually it moves in a positive direction, since I prefer cooler temps and snow).
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #36997 on: November 09, 2017, 05:08:57 AM

Nebu would have no trouble getting in. With his education and fluency in English he blows the top off the point scale.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #36998 on: November 09, 2017, 06:26:23 AM

Belize is nice (enough) and they speak English.  They take American dollars.  US Dollar = 2 Belize Dollar.  They are very proud of their accepting culture.  You can have a jaguar lick your head while you feed it raw chicken.

Good, good, good, good, and then you just followed it up with a potential death trap.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #36999 on: November 09, 2017, 06:55:23 AM

Belize is nice (enough) and they speak English.  They take American dollars.  US Dollar = 2 Belize Dollar.  They are very proud of their accepting culture.  You can have a jaguar lick your head while you feed it raw chicken.

Good, good, good, good, and then you just followed it up with a potential death trap.

Isn't Belize also one of those places where sea level rise is going to fuck them over royally?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #37000 on: November 09, 2017, 06:58:23 AM

Nah, it's fine. as long as the chicken has been processed and stored properly, it's fairly safe. I'd wash your hands thoroughly after though, just to be sure.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #37001 on: November 09, 2017, 07:16:55 AM

Maybe he wants a chicken infection. He asked for it and I said, "Ok, you can have one but only in the house."

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #37002 on: November 09, 2017, 07:34:02 AM

As long as I don't wind up cleaning up after it.

--Dave (who am I kidding, of course I will wind up picking up chicken infection poop)

--Signature Unclear
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #37003 on: November 09, 2017, 07:51:22 AM

Mechanics of immigrating here? No idea. Only ever saw it from the view of a guy trying to get his American girlfriend in, and it was a pain because she was basically a useless sack of shit (sorry, old feelings surfacing there). It was difficult because she didn't qualify for any of the immigrant standards. He eventually married her to get her in. Yeah, don't do that.

I'm sure the whole contingent of us here would happily argue about the pros and cons of our country for you if you have more general questions.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #37004 on: November 09, 2017, 08:10:13 AM

My general evaluation question is: will getting cancer make me homeless?
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #37005 on: November 09, 2017, 09:39:41 AM

Nah. We don't have medical bankruptcies up here at all. If you're shopping around for the best, cheapest health care you should move along. Canada doesn't cover dental or glasses or pharmaceuticals and doesn't cover nearly enough physiotherapy. Lots of European countries do better than us. Our system is actually near the bottom of the rankings. We really only look good next to you guys. awesome, for real
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #37006 on: November 09, 2017, 10:10:56 AM

A day in the life of the lawyer-linguists - 4min11sec

The (short) video is definitely worth watching on it's own, giving an insight into how all 23 language versions of EU texts are equalised .

But it's more about the "protagonist" on whom I think I have a woman-crush. Good looking (her hair), that classy aura and intellectual.

I think if there is an ideal me I'd like to be - or how I'd want people to perceive me....it be pretty close to that.

*sip on cheap white wine* oh well!

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #37007 on: November 09, 2017, 12:26:19 PM

Isn't Belize also one of those places where sea level rise is going to fuck them over royally?

The cayes will be but not the mainland.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #37008 on: November 10, 2017, 04:11:38 AM

I think if I were gonna retire abroad, my definite list of requirements would be:

a) decent health care plus what happens to me if I need some kind of long-term nursing
b) reasonably decent law enforcement, e.g., that I won't have my place broken into every few weeks or have to pay a bribe to someone at a checkpoint every time I go someplace
c) not tropical weather
d) can be not-majority-English but give me a language I either know some (Spanish or French) or that I can plausibly pick up a bit of
e) functioning electrical grid
f) relatively unlikely to descend into political chaos and civil war

Note that the United States does not fit my requirements, which is why the idea of being somewhere else is not entirely unappealing.

Chile, maybe.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #37009 on: November 10, 2017, 04:39:08 AM

First day of the first cold snap.. wind chills in the 10s. I am so not ready for this... Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #37010 on: November 10, 2017, 04:42:19 AM

*Sips mojito in 81 degree weather*

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #37011 on: November 10, 2017, 06:03:22 AM

First day of the first cold snap.. wind chills in the 10s. I am so not ready for this... Ohhhhh, I see.

At least Champaign/Urbana doesn't get lake effect snow, which minor flurries this morning are driving the weather people insane.  Like "let's send a truck out on the highways to report on how (not) bad the snow bands are!"

Definitely not ready for this cold.  I hate the cold.  Give me tropical weather, please.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #37012 on: November 10, 2017, 09:27:27 AM

I think you have the black animal avatars confused  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #37013 on: November 10, 2017, 10:44:55 AM

I rebooted an old emigration thread in Politics for retirement questions:  http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=22394.0

I too wonder about where I can go to do nothing and keep living.
schild
Administrator

Reply #37014 on: November 10, 2017, 01:23:08 PM

I rebooted an old emigration thread in Politics for retirement questions:  http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=22394.0

I too wonder about where I can go to do nothing and keep living.

My plan is Austin. I'm like 1/25th of the way there
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #37015 on: November 10, 2017, 01:56:01 PM

I think if I were gonna retire abroad, my definite list of requirements would be:

a) decent health care plus what happens to me if I need some kind of long-term nursing
b) reasonably decent law enforcement, e.g., that I won't have my place broken into every few weeks or have to pay a bribe to someone at a checkpoint every time I go someplace
c) not tropical weather
d) can be not-majority-English but give me a language I either know some (Spanish or French) or that I can plausibly pick up a bit of

Note that the United States does not fit my requirements, which is why the idea of being somewhere else is not entirely unappealing.

Chile, maybe.

Australia is a great place.

Not sure on the exact state of our dickish immigration, though.
schild
Administrator

Reply #37016 on: November 10, 2017, 02:15:06 PM

c) not tropical weather

Chile, maybe.

Chile doesn't realize it, but I'd put them in the top ten nations to have a civil war. The poor areas are AWFUL. And they're right outside the pristine cities (particularly Santiago). The country legit looks like the hunger games. Fuck that place. Also, they don't know how to butcher meat. Idiots.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #37017 on: November 10, 2017, 04:03:20 PM

Is there anywhere on earth that doesn't have areas of deep poverty? I get that in some places they bury that in their rural hinterlands rather than urban slums, but where is there good income equality besides the Scandinavian countries? (Not emigrating there in retirement just because all of my Finnish, Swedish and Norwegian friends in the US and Western Europe have laid out the reasons why they left, and they're enough of a reason for me not to try to live there.)
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #37018 on: November 10, 2017, 04:23:28 PM

Well, if we're staying on target parts of the US will resemble current Chile in a few years.  I mean, it's already been a month since Puerto Ricans had a working electricity grid?
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #37019 on: November 10, 2017, 08:29:14 PM

Aren't you the one who works at U of I?

And I have avatars turned off here. Merriam had/has one that was too risky for work browsing.

Oh well.

schild
Administrator

Reply #37020 on: November 10, 2017, 08:39:26 PM

Is there anywhere on earth that doesn't have areas of deep poverty? I get that in some places they bury that in their rural hinterlands rather than urban slums, but where is there good income equality besides the Scandinavian countries? (Not emigrating there in retirement just because all of my Finnish, Swedish and Norwegian friends in the US and Western Europe have laid out the reasons why they left, and they're enough of a reason for me not to try to live there.)

No. But Chile is a bit different. They have walled cities and right outside of the walls are desolate fucking hellholes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #37021 on: November 10, 2017, 09:30:05 PM

Give us time?  why so serious?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #37022 on: November 10, 2017, 11:26:42 PM

And I have avatars turned off here. Merriam had/has one that was too risky for work browsing.

Oh well.
Most ad blockers have a way of blocking individual images/elements.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #37023 on: November 11, 2017, 05:19:23 AM

Oh well.

Yes. But I am not the person who talked about the weather.

Triax
Terracotta Army

Reply #37024 on: November 11, 2017, 08:54:26 AM

Oh well.

Yes. But I am not the person who talked about the weather.

And now I'm having flashbacks to this scene

From this, for those who don't know...

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #37025 on: November 11, 2017, 12:11:43 PM

What's so bad about Sweden?

*paging Gimfain*

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #37026 on: November 11, 2017, 12:37:57 PM

*paging Gimfain*
Our summers aren't warm enough

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #37027 on: November 11, 2017, 03:28:32 PM

*paging Gimfain*
That's a big positive.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #37028 on: November 11, 2017, 04:48:12 PM

*paging Gimfain*

I'm pretty sure I have evidence to the contrary but I'll save it for another thread.   why so serious?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #37029 on: November 12, 2017, 12:00:35 AM

If you like your summers in the mid 50s most of the time, sure, move to Scandinavia.  I came here from Seattle, and the weather her in DK is worse in every season of the year and it isn't close.  And then when you are lucky enough that you get a spell where it actually exceeds room temperature outside for more than a day?  That sucks too, because it is too humid and air conditioning is a rarity.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Pages: 1 ... 1056 1057 [1058] 1059 1060 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: