Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:26:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1050 1051 [1052] 1053 1054 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400371 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #36785 on: October 10, 2017, 01:38:37 PM

Papa Johns sauce is basically tomato flavored sugar. I have no idea what they've done to it in the last 20 years, but it's the worst decision they've made. What used to be my favorite chain place in 1997 is now complete garbage.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #36786 on: October 10, 2017, 01:44:51 PM

I often wish I could have a slice of Pizza Hut from when I was a kid. Anyone remember getting free personal pan pizza for some Reagan-era national reading club? That was so exciting as a kid.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #36787 on: October 10, 2017, 02:07:14 PM

Pizza Hut used to be amazing back in the '70s and '80s. Then sometime in the '90s they started buying cheaper, low quality ingredients and that was the end of that.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36788 on: October 10, 2017, 02:22:19 PM

TIL Mississippi has pizza delivery.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36789 on: October 10, 2017, 02:37:42 PM

Some places have pizza delivery but not all pizza places in town deliver. Which is a constant source of agitation for my wife who is from civilization where literally everything delivers. I think we have one goddamn Chinese place that delivers in town.

Also, our local Food2Go delivery franchise is on my shit list because they treat all their employees as self-contractors so assume no liability for fuckall that they do. The Uber model, which can go fuck itself right in the earhole. I only learned of this when I was being a nice guy by paying too much money to get our delivery driver's keys out of his car after he'd locked them in there, and the dude never bothered to pay back my Good Samaritan behavior. Which goes to show I'm the fucking idiot but still - self-contractor businesses can go fuck themselves.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #36790 on: October 10, 2017, 02:54:46 PM

Papa Johns sauce is basically tomato flavored sugar. I have no idea what they've done to it in the last 20 years, but it's the worst decision they've made. What used to be my favorite chain place in 1997 is now complete garbage.

It also used to be a good deal.

Now it is like 15 bucks (on sale) for a pizza that doesn't really taste any better than a 5 dollar Hot and Ready from Little Caesar's.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #36791 on: October 10, 2017, 03:24:44 PM

Papa Johns is the worst. They have a half price deal whenever the Flyers win around here, so my buddies always buy it because its cheap. Even when they're buying I refuse to eat it; I would rather have frozen $1 Celeste pizza than PJs.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36792 on: October 10, 2017, 03:29:22 PM

I'll give you guys something to try.

Don't eat anything but whole, unprocessed foods for a month (fruits, veg, whole grains, meat, dairy, etc).  After you've done that, taste ANYTHING processed or from a restaurant.  You wouldn't believe how sickeningly sweet nearly everything in the US is until you first normalize your palate.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #36793 on: October 10, 2017, 04:03:36 PM

i'll give you something to try

fuck off with that, also yolo

on topic: papa john's has always been garbage compared to little caesars. Literal uncooked crazy bread is better than anything that came from PJs.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #36794 on: October 10, 2017, 04:34:17 PM

yolo, why spend it eating shit?
schild
Administrator

Reply #36795 on: October 10, 2017, 06:22:49 PM

restaurant food is shit?
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #36796 on: October 10, 2017, 06:34:16 PM

restaurant food is shit?

Chain fast food restaurants? Yes, almost without exception - especially in the US.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36797 on: October 10, 2017, 07:23:19 PM

Even non-chain tends to be shit. Food that the average American can afford at a restaurant on a regular basis is shit.

Someone will go out and find exceptions, but those only prove the rule.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36798 on: October 10, 2017, 07:31:44 PM

Do you know how easy it is to find good food in non-fuckhole cities anymore? And even some of the hellscape ones (looking at you, Providence).

Anyone eating fast food or at Fridays or whatever has a bad life with a bad job in a bad place.

And I feel sorry for them.

Those restaurants are now actually the exception in civilized places.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #36799 on: October 10, 2017, 07:42:23 PM

A True Scotsman told me you were wrong.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
schild
Administrator

Reply #36800 on: October 10, 2017, 07:55:07 PM

A True Scotsman told me you were wrong.

--Dave

I don't get it.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36801 on: October 10, 2017, 08:28:32 PM

Do you know how easy it is to find good food in non-fuckhole cities anymore? And even some of the hellscape ones (looking at you, Providence).

Good restaurants use higher quality ingredients prepared in superior ways, but nutritionally they can be shit as well.  It's very circumstantial.  Keep in mind that traditional French cuisine is LOADED with saturated fat.  Quality sushi is very healthy, but near impossible to find in the US and often expensive when you do.

By the way, I just commented in an off-hand way.  I'm not telling anyone to change their diet.  I was just pointing out that most food available is pretty shit quality unless you're pretty diligent about cooking for yourself. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #36802 on: October 10, 2017, 08:36:26 PM

1. Fat is flavor. Butter is awesome.
2. It's been a while since you moved to bumbledick, but good quality sushi isn't even hard to find in Phoenix let alone a city within earshot of a coast.
3. I know it was offhand, but it was also kinda bullshit. If I spent my life eating like a carnivorous rabbit I'd both be wasting my one life and maybe lose a little bit of wait. I have no interest in chicken, lettuce, and blandness. While I'd like to lose weight, I also really fucking like good food, that's what my yolo was about.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36803 on: October 10, 2017, 08:42:17 PM

3. I know it was offhand, but it was also kinda bullshit.

It's absolutely not bullshit.  I'd be happy to provide you with load of scientific literature to this effect.  Nearly all of the top 13 causes of death in the US could be mitigated through a better diet and lifestyle.  

I will grant that you're correct that life is about trade-offs.    If you want to eat what you like you're perfectly within your right.   Just don't fool yourself into thinking that diet isn't directly connected to health and wellness.  Hell, you will very likely outlive me solely due to genetics.  Good for you.  I didn't win that lottery and have to be more diligent if I want to remain productive doing the things that matter to me.  

It's ok that we have different priorities in life.  Just don't try to tell me that I don't understand nutrition.  
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 08:44:39 PM by Nebu »

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #36804 on: October 10, 2017, 09:16:43 PM

I'm not saying you don't understand nutrition.

I'm saying nutrition fucking blows.

I'm not saying eat actual garbage. I'm saying eat good shit and don't stress the small stuff.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36805 on: October 10, 2017, 09:18:37 PM

I'm not saying eat actual garbage. I'm saying eat good shit and don't stress the small stuff.

That's my general recommendation to people as well.  

Where did you find good sushi in Phoenix?  I was just there recently and it was all Americanized garbage.

Edit: You realize that I live near Memphis... the home of FedEx.  Getting fish caught the same day is trivially easy thanks to those fancy aeroplane thingies.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 09:22:42 PM by Nebu »

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #36806 on: October 10, 2017, 09:36:13 PM

That's my general recommendation to people as well.  

Where did you find good sushi in Phoenix?  I was just there recently and it was all Americanized garbage.

Edit: You realize that I live near Memphis... the home of FedEx.  Getting fish caught the same day is trivially easy thanks to those fancy aeroplane thingies.
I thought you were in Alabama or some shit. Memphis is a step up in the classier racism Dept though.

Your comment about FedEx applies to every city in America.

Back in 2007 I remember Phoenix having good sushi though my standards were lower back then because I was mostly drunk.

Now? There's probably twenty good places. I went to one just off Camelback two years ago though for the life of me I can't remember the name.

Also, Americanized garbage? What does that even mean? All Philadelphia rolls or something? I basically only order nigiri unless I'm at a revolving sushi joint, and then I'll just pound whatever unless there's krab or cream cheese involved.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36807 on: October 10, 2017, 09:42:52 PM

Also, Americanized garbage? What does that even mean?

The rice tastes sweeter than normal and it's hard to find a place that offers different cuts (Akami, Toro, Chutoro, Otoro) or even decent octopus.  You're right that you get spoiled on the coast but it gets expensive.

As for the rest, I only work in this area.  When I'm not working, I'm not here.  Again... those fancy aeroplane thingies.  Memphis has an airport and parking is cheap. 

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #36808 on: October 10, 2017, 09:47:20 PM

Also, Americanized garbage? What does that even mean?

The rice tastes sweeter than normal and it's hard to find a place that offers different cuts (Akami, Toro, Chutoro, Otoro) or even decent octopus.  You're right that you get spoiled on the coast but it gets expensive.

As for the rest, I only work in this area.  When I'm not working, I'm not here.  Again... those fancy aeroplane thingies.  Memphis has an airport and parking is cheap. 

I mean, I'm spoiled five blocks from my house in a city on a sea that has nothing but garbage fish.

The difference you're describing between good and bad is merely your willingness to find the expensive places.

As for octopus, you got me, I don't eat it. I've never enjoyed it at the best of places.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #36809 on: October 10, 2017, 11:15:50 PM

Don't eat anything but whole, unprocessed foods for a month (fruits, veg, whole grains, meat, dairy, etc).  After you've done that, taste ANYTHING processed or from a restaurant.  You wouldn't believe how sickeningly sweet nearly everything in the US is until you first normalize your palate.
I've been forced to do this twice in my life.  One time for almost three months straight.

Words cannot describe how bland and terrible whole unprocessed/unsalted food tastes, even after three months.  Did make the super processed pizza and junk food taste twice as good when I was finally able to eat it again though!   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #36810 on: October 10, 2017, 11:38:31 PM

I've been forced to do this twice in my life.  One time for almost three months straight.

Words cannot describe how bland and terrible whole unprocessed/unsalted food tastes, even after three months.  Did make the super processed pizza and junk food taste twice as good when I was finally able to eat it again though!   awesome, for real

I call bullshit. Firstly, there's nothing wrong with reasonable amounts of salt, nor does unprocessed foods have to mean it doesn't have great flavours and ingredients.

Processing makes everything cheap, and covers flavours with sugars and salts. It doesn't add anything.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #36811 on: October 11, 2017, 12:41:26 AM

A sushi place just opened in my little town. I wouldn't know good Sushi if it hit me, but the stuff there is tasty, and it was filing. Would Sushi again.

Hic sunt dracones.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #36812 on: October 11, 2017, 12:49:19 AM

I call bullshit. Firstly, there's nothing wrong with reasonable amounts of salt, nor does unprocessed foods have to mean it doesn't have great flavours and ingredients.

Processing makes everything cheap, and covers flavours with sugars and salts. It doesn't add anything.
After I came down with my ear condition, I was told to move to a very low salt diet to see if it had an effect.  I was in such a panic to try and fix it, and with the amount of salt in everything, I basically moved to just eating fresh vegetables and meats.  Nothing that ever touched a can or preserved.  Granola and unsalted nuts.  Granted, this included cutting most breads out except for styles I could confirm had very low salt.  Everything made from scratch, and I didn't eat out at all in this period.

It was months of hell.  No amount of natural spices and seasoning could make things taste good.  Never was I more happy to find out the diet change had no effect on making things better, and I was stuck with major permanent hearing loss, so I could go back to eating what ever I wanted and kill my self from a different direction.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 12:51:22 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36813 on: October 11, 2017, 06:31:31 AM

Taste blindness is a real thing.  Some people require significantly more flavoring to achieve the same stimulation as others.   

My personal experience, particularly after a long fast, is that apples taste like candy and bread tastes like cake.  I tend to like the natural flavor of things anyway, so I've never really enjoyed the over-processed taste of things.  Something like a donut overwhelms my palate.  It's just TOO sweet.

Again, I wasn't trying to tell anyone how to live their life.  As a scientist, I find personal experiments to be fun and interesting.  I was simply suggesting an experiment. 

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36814 on: October 11, 2017, 07:13:58 AM

F13 in a nutshell: Take a basic truthful statement and dissect it into a series of justifications for things we're doing anyway. Because change is hard and makes us frightened.

No. Restaurants - even the "good" ones - people can eat at on a regular basis serve shit food. High-calorie, over-portioned -  but tasty - garbage. We still flavor food like we're hunter-gatherers scavenging for fats and sugars.

I'm with Nebu on this one. Food tastes better when I don't eat a bunch of processed crap. I cut out soda four months ago and just had an RC Cola for caffeine two weeks ago. I couldn't finish the 12oz can because it was too sweet.  Prior to this I'd chug a 20oz bottle of Mt. Dew in about two minutes.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36815 on: October 11, 2017, 07:28:51 AM

I think the bigger issue with the truthful part of that statement is the non-truthful hyperbole that came after.

Eating clean and absurdly healthy is obviously good for you. No one is going to argue that. But the changes have now been amped up to "apples taste like candy and bread tastes like cake."

No. That's just horseshit. It's taste hallucination at best. Lots of the fatasses here, including myself, have eaten clean for months and years on end. I didn't lose 80lbs once by not eating clean like with the willpower of a goddamn monk. When I went back to eating not-bullshit, bread tasted like bread and apples tasted like apples. Your sense of taste does not change that much. Yes, you may recognize some more subtle flavors, and flavors on the extreme ends may be amplified. But turning bread into cake is not something that happens. That's just silly.

So back to the original statement and argument:

Eating clean is good for you.

But it's fucking boring. Yolo.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36816 on: October 11, 2017, 07:31:48 AM

I'll avoid the hyperbole in the future.  My statement wasn't meant to be literal... I assumed I could count on you to know that.   Things taste better when you haven't eaten for days.  That was exactly my point. 

I appreciate your passion though.  It's a reason I have always enjoyed our conversations. 

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:37:05 AM by Nebu »

-  Mark Twain
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #36817 on: October 11, 2017, 07:59:07 AM

80lbs ?  Holy fuck.

I mean, you know, well done.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #36818 on: October 11, 2017, 08:08:11 AM

80lbs ?  Holy fuck.

I mean, you know, well done.

Whatever, I need to lose 45 of it again. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #36819 on: October 11, 2017, 09:28:48 AM

Yeah, I lost 40 pounds in 5 months through pure diet about two years ago (I let myself gorge on what ever terrible foods I wanted Saturday/Sunday though, so it wasn't a long stretch of "eating clean").  Felt great!  I need to lose 30 pounds of it all over gain now.   Sad Panda

And I'm basically just saying what Schild was.  Your point is totally valid Nebu, eating healthy is great and feels good.  But I've heard that "once you stop eating processed foods, everything will be too sweet, and fruits are like candy" line from a ton of people I know.  And my own personal experience is that's not god damn true.  So it drives me up the wall.  Your advice on health and nutrition has actually been of great help to me otherwise!

-Stephen Colbert
Pages: 1 ... 1050 1051 [1052] 1053 1054 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: