Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:41:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1039 1040 [1041] 1042 1043 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400624 times)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #36400 on: August 11, 2017, 12:03:39 AM

No you're right - That's why I initially didn't even call. Seattle maps disturbances daily and puts patrols in areas based on daily trends, so there's a slim chance they might have snagged the guy if everyone (including me) had called in.

It extra frustrating because the guy that stabbed him is pretty well known in the neighborhood for being a rotating minor offender, with mental illness attached. He goes in, they force meds on him and he stays straight enough to do his small time and get out. Once out, he stops the meds and goes down the rabbit hole, each time escalating.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #36401 on: August 11, 2017, 06:35:50 AM

Not being unsympathetic, but would that even be the kind of thing the police would respond to in the first place?  I would guess not so much, but maybe there's more to the story.  I'd assume they'd rather spend their time hunting down black motorists they can shoot in the face.
Keep that kind of ignorant opinion down in Politics.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #36402 on: August 11, 2017, 10:36:42 AM

Shit.

Last week on the way to the bus stop around 9am some guy turns around and shouts 'faggot' in my face. It was so out of place for our neighborhood I almost confronted him, but something was off about the guy. I regret not calling the police because two nights ago he stabbed our neighbor a bunch of times. Now it comes out that he's been doing this all over the neighborhood for a few weeks now and the police couldn't really locate the guy because he's mobile.

I'm so glad I didn't confront him myself, but shit I really regret not being more proactive in calling it in.

You didn't mention it, but I assume the stabbing was non-fatal? Is your neighbor going to be all right?

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #36403 on: August 11, 2017, 11:02:11 AM

He is expected to make a full recovery, but took "extensive injuries to head, chest and upper arms". Here's the local news on it, if anyone cares: http://westseattleblog.com/2017/08/gatewood-stabbing-followups-fund-set-up-for-victims-family-suspect-refuses-to-appear-at-hearing/

Our first townhouse when we moved here was directly across the street from the SUV in the first photo. Now we're down the hill two blocks. The suspect was camping outside the elementary school, apparently.

Luckily the gofundme exceeded the ask in the first 24 hours, so a bit of daily life will be covered as he recuperates. Community is pretty strong in West Seattle; our group of blocks does a yearly block party and we're starting to join with a neighboring block to do quarterly block parties. It's good to meet the folks in the neighborhood, at least the non-loony ones. 
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #36404 on: August 12, 2017, 06:40:18 AM

Not being unsympathetic, but would that even be the kind of thing the police would respond to in the first place?  I would guess not so much, but maybe there's more to the story.  I'd assume they'd rather spend their time hunting down black motorists they can shoot in the face.
Keep that kind of ignorant opinion down in Politics.

Was a serious question, followed by random snark.  But yeah, point taken, will keep it where it belongs in the future.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #36405 on: August 12, 2017, 07:53:04 AM

It may be a strong opinion, but it's not ignorant or even political. Seattle PD is notoriously unresponsive, is under federal consent decree ( http://www.seattlemonitor.com/overview ) , and has a history of killing PoC ( http://wapo.st/2uPUEuQ ). Not as bad as the wilds of the midwest or the south, but still not acceptable. Seattleites in general have a fairly dim view of our police.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #36406 on: August 12, 2017, 08:26:58 AM

Fair enough. I'm a bit sensitive about anti-police rhetoric, since I'm friends with teh chief here, work with police as part of my job (public libraries aren't what they show in movies), and my dad was an officer when he first started out.

But I also really, really hate bad cops (or any abuse of power), and we should probably leave it at that, again politics.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #36407 on: August 12, 2017, 11:41:15 PM

I hear ya Sky. I want to have faith in our police too, but ya, let's leave it for the tangle of politics. I'm sure some new event will cause us to revisit the topic on those hallowed threads of refined discourse  tongue

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #36408 on: August 13, 2017, 03:03:12 PM

I just took a "hey you're not a young man anymore" type of fall down the basement stairs. Jesus H, I don't think anything is broken but my tailbone and arm are fucked. Sitting at work tomorrow is going to ssuuuuuck.
WayAbvPar

Reply #36409 on: August 14, 2017, 03:45:14 PM

Yeah the next day is the worst. I took a bad step a couple of years ago in a drunken haze and my groin was exceptionally unhappy with me for about a week.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #36410 on: August 14, 2017, 09:17:17 PM

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #36411 on: August 15, 2017, 06:17:05 AM

They called it a rare tree doggo.  why so serious?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36412 on: August 15, 2017, 01:29:02 PM

When I was telling Haem to stop complaining, it was actually about the cube and not the window.  So, fuck you all.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36413 on: August 15, 2017, 01:33:18 PM

I was complaining about the weather, not the cube. I'm used to these shitty, all too transparently windowed cubes by now.  why so serious?

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #36414 on: August 15, 2017, 09:02:08 PM

I saw Ted Cruz at O'Hare today. I didn't have any mud handy, so I left him alone.

- Viin
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #36415 on: August 17, 2017, 08:43:28 AM

One of the many nice things about DLP tvs, replacing the bulb means it's a like new tv again. Just replaced the bulb in the 73" and we need sunglasses, didn't realize how much it had dimmed the last few months.

But smart me decided to smartly blow out the dust while I had the thing open and I got a couple motes on the sensor. So now I have to pop it all open again and try cleaning it. It's not very noticeable, except on a pure white field (I don't see it in games or on a page like f13), but it's going to drive me insane if I don't fix it.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36416 on: August 17, 2017, 05:06:45 PM

Awesome.

I hadn't checked my credit in a few months and guess what! Ex wasn't paying the car bill and had redirected the finance calls to herself. 90 days past due plus medical bills plus the cable bill to TW that just went into collections meaaaaans..

I can't get an equity loan on the house. I'm going to lose that now as I'll have to sell to pay out her share plus the debts.

Goddamnit.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36417 on: August 17, 2017, 06:12:50 PM

Sue her and her family. Can you? Dunno, I'm not a lawyer. Sell her to an Arabic billionaire with a boat or something.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #36418 on: August 17, 2017, 06:56:37 PM

Awesome.

I hadn't checked my credit in a few months and guess what! Ex wasn't paying the car bill and had redirected the finance calls to herself. 90 days past due plus medical bills plus the cable bill to TW that just went into collections meaaaaans..

I can't get an equity loan on the house. I'm going to lose that now as I'll have to sell to pay out her share plus the debts.

Goddamnit.

What Schild said, or thereabouts. You need to talk to a lawyer (not the divorce kind, though you might get a referral) immediately. I have no idea if you can recoup your losses and/or credit, but you need to protect yourself from any more surprises.

Your best course might even be bankruptcy -- it can actually save your house.

But anyway, enough of the amateur legal advice from me, talk to a professional if you aren't already.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #36419 on: August 17, 2017, 08:10:56 PM

Ask a CPA.  Ask Paelos.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36420 on: August 17, 2017, 08:11:25 PM

Given you have a history of fixing her problems, I'm honestly p sure there an argument to be made that fixing these should NOT be your responsibility. Particularly since she willfully hid them from you.

Granted it might set precedent for other assholes, you should still look into it.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #36421 on: August 18, 2017, 02:39:01 AM

If you were in NYC and could only have a meal at one place, what would it be?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36422 on: August 18, 2017, 04:06:53 AM

Given you have a history of fixing her problems, I'm honestly p sure there an argument to be made that fixing these should NOT be your responsibility. Particularly since she willfully hid them from you.

Granted it might set precedent for other assholes, you should still look into it.

Yeah, except Family Law is inherently biased against men. That's not redpill, it's acknowledged by even FL practitioners. You have to have lawmakers willing to be tarred with the, "this is against women! And children!" brush.

You enter a marriage you're in it as equally responsible parties. The actions can be grounds for divorce but you're both on the line for the consequences. Letting it get this far was my own fault for not checking in on my finances, saying 'no,' or cutting ties earlier as much as hers for doing it. I'll take the consequences, they just were more than I expected.

Ask a CPA.  Ask Paelos.

It's not really an accounting problem. I have to buy-out her equity stake in the house and selling is currently my only option for getting that funding. I considered GoFundMe but, nah, I don't have enough rich friends and acquaintances and I'm not a big-breasted 20-something female.

Bankruptcy is probably the best option. It'll "reset" my credit (520!) and let me reset payments on things as well as opening up some options for consolidation. After which I can decide on selling the house or not. I just need to declare BR prior to the dissolution/ divorce.

Lawyers require money. Y'all aren't understanding the dire nature of finances at this time. I've just been paid several thousand for the mid-month paycheck. It's all gone already and not all the bills are covered.  awesome, for real

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #36423 on: August 18, 2017, 04:54:31 AM

I have no advice to offer Merusk, the situation sounds super shit. Hopefully it is just some moderate term pain and you're out the other side before too long.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 05:42:24 AM by lamaros »
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #36424 on: August 18, 2017, 05:27:09 AM

This is terrible Merusk. I hope you can work things out.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #36425 on: August 18, 2017, 07:09:25 AM

Sounds like a really, really crappy situation, Merusk.  If it's any consolation, while it's sucks, going through bankruptcy was one of the best things the husband and I did.  We got rid of the CC debt we'd been carrying and paying on for years, reaffirmed the mortgage (despite what the BK lawyer advised) and both our credit scores are back up in the 700s after just over 2 years now.

schild
Administrator

Reply #36426 on: August 18, 2017, 07:21:24 AM

Ever?

Eleven Madison Park.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #36427 on: August 18, 2017, 07:28:09 AM

Ask a CPA.  Ask Paelos.

His situation is more legal than my domain. Without offering any advice, I'd say generally bankruptcy tends to be a viable solution if you're going to lose all assets through normal means, and consolidation has already failed. Also, shutting down all joint accounts and all combined credit options will help.

Once you get into the suing people part I'm waaaaaaaaaaaay out. That's why we have law-talking-guys.

schild
Administrator

Reply #36428 on: August 18, 2017, 08:05:58 AM

Could go the other route, you know

Threaten a lawsuit unless she saddles the burden completely on herself.

Also, really ruin her life with her family for fun. Make her parents fucking pay for it.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #36429 on: August 18, 2017, 08:31:07 AM

Eleven Madison Park.
Masa.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36430 on: August 18, 2017, 08:32:56 AM

Mom's dead, Dad is a shitheel who frequently told his 3 daughters he wished they were boys. She's on her own and knows it.

TBH I'm more pissed at the notion of having to move than I am about losing the house. I hate moving and just did it 3 1/2 years ago. I only just got everything unpacked.  awesome, for real

Bankruptcy would still require sale of at least the vehicles, if not the house, and I rather need the car and couldn't get a loan for a beater. I haven't looked at consolidation/ debt management yet, though. That'll be next week.

All said, I'm good. Anger isn't productive and the best possibility for a fresh start right now is the sale. I'd walk-away with ~$55k in cash to her $15k. (Sheriff sales are awesome things if you find the right house.) and ZERO debt. I would even blow away my car be able to use that cash to crush school loans that are still outstanding. That leaves me with a net positive of ~2k a month, even after a $1,100 rent and bills.  I could have a new house, easily, if it weren't for the bad credit marks.

I've called her an anchor before and didn't realize just how bad it was until I began looking at life without her. Sad.

schild
Administrator

Reply #36431 on: August 18, 2017, 08:47:16 AM

Eleven Madison Park.
Masa.
Sushi Nakazawa.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36432 on: August 18, 2017, 08:57:24 AM

Ok, seriously though on New York. Amazing (and I mean Amazing) sushi can be found in almost every major city in America. There's 5-10 restaurants that are pure New York that won't exist with their current chefs forever:

Either Daniel Humm restaurant is a good choice: Eleven Madison Park, NoMad
Eric Ripert's Le Bernadin
Gramercy Tavern
I'm gonna throw Momofuku and Ma Peche on the list due to pop culture, but I'm not sure they should be on there (dessert from Milkbar is a must tho)
Ivan Ramen
Katz's (fuckit, it makes every list)
Red Rooster

This list runs from cheap to the most money you could possibly spend. Not in that order.

Edit: Before 2016 Four Seasons would've made the top of the list if you've never been.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #36433 on: August 18, 2017, 10:30:40 AM

Mom's dead, Dad is a shitheel who frequently told his 3 daughters he wished they were boys. She's on her own and knows it.

TBH I'm more pissed at the notion of having to move than I am about losing the house. I hate moving and just did it 3 1/2 years ago. I only just got everything unpacked.  awesome, for real

Bankruptcy would still require sale of at least the vehicles, if not the house, and I rather need the car and couldn't get a loan for a beater. I haven't looked at consolidation/ debt management yet, though. That'll be next week.

All said, I'm good. Anger isn't productive and the best possibility for a fresh start right now is the sale. I'd walk-away with ~$55k in cash to her $15k. (Sheriff sales are awesome things if you find the right house.) and ZERO debt. I would even blow away my car be able to use that cash to crush school loans that are still outstanding. That leaves me with a net positive of ~2k a month, even after a $1,100 rent and bills.  I could have a new house, easily, if it weren't for the bad credit marks.

I've called her an anchor before and didn't realize just how bad it was until I began looking at life without her. Sad.

Good attitude, likely a good option on selling the house there. I'd suggest consolidation and/or credit repair.

Follow these steps with an accurate account of how to tell each credit agency what happened to see if they will remove the marks against you. You do not need to pay someone for this, it's a waste of money.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #36434 on: August 18, 2017, 10:35:50 AM

I love getting shouted down by developers saying what I just saw happen can't ever happen due to physics, drive architecture, etc. It's not like they ever fuck up or anything.

Argh! Argh! Argh!

-Rasix
Pages: 1 ... 1039 1040 [1041] 1042 1043 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: