Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:19:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1091 1092 [1093] 1094 1095 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3425859 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #38220 on: January 29, 2019, 08:56:52 AM

Well, that was a damp fucking squib. Total letdown. Not only did it not snow, it didn't even bother icing the roads. Fortunately, all the schools had already announced closures last night so work let us choose whether to work from home or not. I choose to stay home because why not?

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #38221 on: January 29, 2019, 09:03:01 AM

And then we will be laughed at by all you guys with your four feet of snow on an off year...

embarassed
Not by me, the conditions you outlined are some of the worst. Especially when the city has salted the shit out of the roads to ensure it persists for a far longer period.

Unless it's straight ice conditions on roads, the best thing to do is plow them and leave 'em alone. Driving on snow is fun, if you have a decent vehicle. Driving on ice, slush, or that mixed layer stuff...dangerous.

We only got a dusting here, wish we had gotten a bit more. Not enough to run the snowblower, how am I supposed to see the neighbors out and about?
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #38222 on: January 29, 2019, 09:19:55 AM

Well, that was a damp fucking squib. Total letdown. Not only did it not snow, it didn't even bother icing the roads. Fortunately, all the schools had already announced closures last night so work let us choose whether to work from home or not. I choose to stay home because why not?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it on the way today and will be in full force Wed and Thurs? Seems a day early to be stocking up on the bread and milk.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #38223 on: January 29, 2019, 09:35:44 AM

Do we have any serious plane freaks here?

I'd be looking for a book recommendation. Intended as a present.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #38224 on: January 29, 2019, 09:43:40 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it on the way today and will be in full force Wed and Thurs? Seems a day early to be stocking up on the bread and milk.

Not according to my Google weather app. Supposed to be cold but sunny those days (yay solar). We're in the US Southeast btw.

And yeah, the really bad stuff fizzled out, although it is supposed to hard freeze tonight so hazardous conditions will still be a thing later. All the schools and universities and a lot of the businesses already decided to close (including us), so I'ma going to work on my Steam backlog a bit, er, work from home.
Terracotta Army

Reply #38225 on: January 29, 2019, 10:06:43 AM

Ah got ya... I am more concerned with the temps than any precipitation. We are going into the freezer here currently and won't be out till the weekend.  

https://www.windy.com/-Temperature-temp?temp,2019-01-30-15,29.942,-82.588,4

the purple has me angry.

edit: to add map

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #38226 on: January 29, 2019, 11:26:33 AM

We're having beautiful weather over here on the west coast (apart from that one intense thunderstorm a few weeks back) which of course means that we're due for recordbreaking heat and wildfires come summer.  I'm stocking up on air filters early this year since by the time the toxic smoke hits everyplace will be sold out again.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #38227 on: January 29, 2019, 02:11:48 PM

It was like 34 when I left Park City at 12:30 today, it is around 40 in SLC. Tomorrow it will be a balmy -9 when I get home to Illinois. I haven’t checked what it is supposed to be like in STL tomorrow when my flight lands. Last time it was this cold at home was actually the last time I flew to SLC via STL.

So I guess it is all my fault!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #38228 on: January 29, 2019, 02:40:40 PM

Work has officially shut down for tomorrow - no one is allowed on campus unless deemed 'essential personnel" which is fine with me.  I was already planning to work from home tomorrow because it's my end-of-month work day.  I have no choice but to work.  yay!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #38229 on: January 29, 2019, 03:07:39 PM

No, it was supposed to rain Monday night, then snow Tuesday morning and freeze up and stay frozen until like Wednesday afternoon. Roads are dry as a fucking bone now, not a bit of ice in sight and it's almost hit 40 degrees today.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38230 on: January 29, 2019, 05:18:36 PM

First world problems there, Haemish (not like you have those often in the deep redneck south but still...)

Between snows here, just lots of freezing fog.  Nothing like the temps around Rhyssa though, for which I’m grateful.

And the local elk herd is migrating back through, 70-80 of them crossing the county road 1/2 mile down from my house this morning on the drive in to work.  Also moose tracks in the driveway.  Reasons I live in shithole nowhere, USA   Heart

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #38231 on: January 29, 2019, 07:52:50 PM

Just got the phone call that my father died. Dunno how I feel about it yet. My mother sounded torn up about it, even thought they have been apart for 20 years.

So I guess the next few days are going to be horrible. Good times. Mom kinda uses me to talk through things as I'm a good listener so I'm going to be earning some karma I think.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 07:55:28 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38232 on: January 29, 2019, 10:34:14 PM

Dude...sorry to hear that.  Were you not close?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 10:36:06 PM by Cyrrex »

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #38233 on: January 29, 2019, 11:57:33 PM

Like a lot of family relationships - its complicated. I adored him when I was younger, but As i grew up I saw that he was, to put it mildly, self cantered. The fact that he left my mother for the babysitter didn't help. My mother took out her bad marriage on me as I am very like him, which didn't help my depression much

So ya, we were not close, but it still hits you like a truck.

Hic sunt dracones.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #38234 on: January 30, 2019, 07:58:17 AM

Sorry to hear that, Sir T.

Terracotta Army

Reply #38235 on: January 30, 2019, 09:33:11 AM

Like a lot of family relationships - its complicated. I adored him when I was younger, but As i grew up I saw that he was, to put it mildly, self cantered. The fact that he left my mother for the babysitter didn't help. My mother took out her bad marriage on me as I am very like him, which didn't help my depression much

So ya, we were not close, but it still hits you like a truck.

Man that sounds really familiar, save the babysitter part and I'm on 27 years without contact.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #38236 on: January 30, 2019, 11:20:41 AM

Sorry to hear about your Dad T.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #38237 on: January 30, 2019, 12:49:55 PM

Thanks guys.

Hic sunt dracones.
WayAbvPar

Reply #38238 on: January 30, 2019, 12:53:00 PM

Condolences, Sir.

My dad is on the way out. Cancer everywhere. Probably 6 months. Fuck cancer.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #38239 on: January 30, 2019, 07:48:39 PM

Sorry to hear the news, Sir T. 

Also sorry to hear about you father, WayAbvPar.

Related but not involving cancer, anyone still have any contact with Lantyssa?  I recall at one time she mentioned her dad was a friend of a faculty member here at Idaho who passed away today (Tom Bitterwolf)

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #38240 on: January 30, 2019, 08:52:20 PM

Very sorry T.  Hang in there Sir.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #38241 on: January 31, 2019, 01:31:48 PM

Do we have any serious plane freaks here?

I'd be looking for a book recommendation. Intended as a present.

I'm not a "serious" plane freak, but I do have several books on my bookshelf devoted to the topic. PM me specifics of what you are looking for.

Sir T, sorry to hear that. Always a shock when someone you expect to be around suddenly isn't anymore.

- Viin
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #38242 on: February 03, 2019, 07:33:38 PM

I made dinner.
I'm doing the washing-up.
Incoming: hormonal missile strike.

She: "We have an ant problem in a room upstairs."
Me: "Okay, next time you see an ant trail, let me know and I'll poison them."
She: "How could I have told you? You were out."
Me: "I didn't mean today. Just the next time you see them."
She: "Stop interrupting, I wasn't finished yet."
Me: "But you stopped speaking."
She: "You're not inside my mind. How can you tell that I've finished speaking?"
Me: "My mistake. So did you see where the ants were coming from?"
She: [Yelling] "Stop telling me what I should have done."

She's pregnant. Only later on do I get to yell FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF silently at a wall, like Basil Fawlty.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #38243 on: February 04, 2019, 12:01:59 AM

Superbowl was absolute garbage. We played board games with the game on in the background. Between being forced to watch the Patriots again and Maroon 5, I'm thinking the NFL is just phoning this in at this point. Plus side, the XFL is starting back up so maybe we can start watching something a bit more exciting.  awesome, for real
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #38244 on: February 04, 2019, 06:33:42 AM

The SB was great. Solid defensive game with good pressure on both sides and some shutdown secondaries (once the Rams remembered to double up on Edelman). I was happy the Pats kept the pressure dialed in on Goff, really helped their secondary. I was worried about Cooks burning them badly this time.

I'm just going to put this out there: if you need this garbage 'modern NFL' 600yd passing/100 point games, then you're a shitty NFL fan. That was a classic old-school grinder.

Full disclosure, my favorite positions in Madden are LE/RE and MLB...
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #38245 on: February 04, 2019, 08:47:13 AM

Have your meteorologists gotten into announcing that every minor snowfall over 1/2" is Snowpocalypse 2000 the worst blizzard of the century? This is why i stay well away from weather TV and websites. Google gives me the facts I need to know about the weather without all of the ridiculous hype.

Ohhhhh, I see.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #38246 on: February 04, 2019, 08:49:08 AM

Highlight of Superbowl was the Stephen Hillenburg tribute.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #38247 on: February 04, 2019, 09:47:38 AM

I'm just going to put this out there: if you need this garbage 'modern NFL' 600yd passing/100 point games, then you're a shitty NFL fan. That was a classic old-school grinder.

I don't need them but I sure do like them. This was an aggravating exercise in watching two offensive coordinators have no fucking clue how to adjust in-game.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #38248 on: February 04, 2019, 12:06:57 PM

Dad was buried yesterday. There has been, to put it mildly, a lot of emotion. I've been posting here occasionally as a distraction and to take myself out of the situation.

Thanks for the support guys.

Hic sunt dracones.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #38249 on: February 04, 2019, 06:32:23 PM

I don't need them but I sure do like them. This was an aggravating exercise in watching two offensive coordinators have no fucking clue how to adjust in-game.
Yeah, sorry man. I was salty earlier due to the sheer ignorant crap on FB today. We disagree about football a lot, but I respect your opinion, because it's informed and sensible (if wrong, Romo needs to be deported for god's sake).
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #38250 on: February 05, 2019, 05:51:24 AM

Dad was buried yesterday. There has been, to put it mildly, a lot of emotion. I've been posting here occasionally as a distraction and to take myself out of the situation.

Thanks for the support guys.

Sending virtual hugs, Sir T.  It's a rough thing to deal with.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #38251 on: February 05, 2019, 08:12:00 AM

Yeah, sorry man. I was salty earlier due to the sheer ignorant crap on FB today. We disagree about football a lot, but I respect your opinion, because it's informed and sensible (if wrong, Romo needs to be deported for god's sake).

Romo's a goober and a serious QB-knob-polisher but I feel like he at least understands the game and can articulate it better than most color commentary guys. Jim Nance annoys me greatly.

I think if the Rams had put up any sort of competent offense between the 20's and then gotten stopped by good defense (basically if their offense had performed like the Pats did), it would have been a more interesting defensive game. As it was, watching Goff stumblefuck through the game getting hammered and doing nothing to adjust his throws and McVay not being able to adjust his playcalls to make up for Goff getting swamped was just irritating. Brady didn't have a good game either but at least their offense moved. 3-5 and out drives are just irritating.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #38252 on: February 05, 2019, 09:05:07 AM

There is an NFL thread for this isn’t there?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #38253 on: February 05, 2019, 09:19:51 AM

Yes but we weren't talking about it THERE.  why so serious?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #38254 on: February 05, 2019, 11:29:01 AM

I made a thread.   Cthulu

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Pages: 1 ... 1091 1092 [1093] 1094 1095 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: