Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:46:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1090 1091 [1092] 1093 1094 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3422169 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #38185 on: January 22, 2019, 07:09:23 AM

The new 'easy' forms are about to spark a whole shitstorm. Fun fact, libraries melt down between now and May, people lose their minds about tax-related stuff.

Already a lot of unhappy people. Our Director has almost been in tears because her carefully balanced personal finances are utterly screwed by the tax changes. Though to be fair, she leverages to the hilt and walks a knife's edge of debt that I would not be at all comfortable with (I did it for 6 years before getting out of debt entirely and hope to stay here, the country is a hot mess of debtors...it's not a normal condition!).
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #38186 on: January 22, 2019, 01:01:28 PM

Just got back from a 10 day trip from Portugal  Heart  Which was amazing.  Girlfriend presented at a conference in Lisbon so we rolled it into our first international trip together.  What is not amazing is returning from vacation to day 31 of being furloughed.  Financially I am fine for the time being but being used as a political pawn is beyond fucking infuriating. Some coworkers are driving for Lyft, others are looking for other jobs.  Some of our entry level people who are contract employees and will not receive back pay are hurting pretty bad. 

I am working for a few days this week as we were able to get through a "thingy" to let some of us work on a very limited basis for some time sensitive stuff (Water samples from the Camp Fire aftermath in CA).   

Anyways my thoughts:    Mob Mob Mob Mob  RAAAAAGHHHHH!!!

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #38187 on: January 22, 2019, 04:40:25 PM

Do you know who this is:

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #38188 on: January 22, 2019, 04:53:05 PM

A very underrated bond movie imo. He would have made a perfectly fine bond if he had hung around.

And that's Diana Rigg. Also famous for "the Avengers" as Mrs Peel.

I feel rather old because I know that and yet I could not tell a modern series actress from a hole in the ground...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 05:20:10 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #38189 on: January 22, 2019, 05:01:01 PM

A very underrated bond movie imo. He would have made a perfectly fine bond if he had hung around

I hate talking about Bond movies because it's so cliche. (Immediately conjures the image of Simon in Trainspotting monologuing about Sean Connery's Bond).

That being said, I agree.

Edit: Although Lazenby seems to have been a very difficult person to deal with.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 05:09:37 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #38190 on: January 22, 2019, 06:41:11 PM

A very underrated bond movie imo. He would have made a perfectly fine bond if he had hung around.

And that's Diana Rigg. Also famous for "the Avengers" as Mrs Peel.

I feel rather old because I know that and yet I could not tell a modern series actress from a hole in the ground...

People have come around on OHMSS quite a bit.

Lazenby isn't particularly good though (and isn't helped by all the ADR work). He only comes across as somewhat competent because he was preceded and followed by Connery in full not giving a shit mode by that point, and then pervy grandpa Moore (RIP).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #38191 on: January 23, 2019, 05:13:16 AM

pervy grandpa Moore (RIP).
Wow, that's just about a perfect description. I loved Bond when I was a kid, but hated Moore.

Hell, he made Remington Steele look good.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #38192 on: January 24, 2019, 08:39:37 AM

Not to get into a bad place, but the racists flipped from the Dem party before Trump, or at least managed to get over the idea gradually before they were gestalt-ed into it by biased media outlets. This is relevant to this thread simply because my brother now dates black girls specifically to piss off my dad.

None of them have anything to steal, so I'm not getting involved. Adding a new US citizen also costs me nothing (contrary to some opinions).

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #38193 on: January 24, 2019, 08:42:10 AM

Wait what ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #38194 on: January 24, 2019, 08:56:34 AM

No idea. But it's 2019 and I still have to use Lotus Notes.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #38195 on: January 24, 2019, 10:06:07 AM

Worst timeline.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #38196 on: January 24, 2019, 11:00:31 AM

I don't know what part is confusing but I'll probably not be any clearer on any elements. My dad was always racist but not always voting Republican. My brother is an idiot.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #38197 on: January 24, 2019, 01:16:40 PM

Possibly the worst scientific paper I've ever seen.

I hesitate to spoil anything, but the title will give you some idea of where this is going: Integration of wind into running vehicles to meet its total energy demand

if at last you do succeed, never try again
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #38198 on: January 24, 2019, 06:24:27 PM

I hesitate to spoil anything, but the title will give you some idea of where this is going: Integration of wind into running vehicles to meet its total energy demand

That's... I have no words. Somewhere between insane and TimeCube.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38199 on: January 24, 2019, 11:13:26 PM

I don't know what part is confusing but I'll probably not be any clearer on any elements. My dad was always racist but not always voting Republican. My brother is an idiot.

I think your post just sorta lacked context, just kinda came outta the blue or something.

But yeah, my historically conservative family now tends to support and vote Democrat.  They are LESS racist than they used to be, but still racist enough that it bothers me significantly.  They have been forced to temper their views to a certain extent as people from minority backgrounds find their way in to the family sphere and they discover that, hey, they are actually perfectly normal people who aren't going to steal your shit or whatever.  But it still rears its ugly head from time to time, or just shifts to different minority groups.  Now it's all the people from India, apparently, who are super rude in the supermarkets because they don't get out of the way and sometimes they will just START EATING THE FRUIT THEY HAVEN'T YET PAID FOR OMG.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #38200 on: January 25, 2019, 01:07:37 AM

The new 'easy' forms are about to spark a whole shitstorm. Fun fact, libraries melt down between now and May, people lose their minds about tax-related stuff.

Already a lot of unhappy people. Our Director has almost been in tears because her carefully balanced personal finances are utterly screwed by the tax changes. Though to be fair, she leverages to the hilt and walks a knife's edge of debt that I would not be at all comfortable with (I did it for 6 years before getting out of debt entirely and hope to stay here, the country is a hot mess of debtors...it's not a normal condition!).
What did they change about the form that has everybody upset?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #38201 on: January 25, 2019, 07:15:41 AM

I think your post just sorta lacked context, just kinda came outta the blue or something.

I see an entire page rolled by when I posted. Hard to tell since whenever someone is in Politics Mode, my words seem to go through a FOX News or MSNBC sausage-machine before they arrive to the other person.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #38202 on: January 25, 2019, 08:24:02 AM

Fuck winter in its tiny little earhole.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #38203 on: January 25, 2019, 08:30:39 AM

I'm with you...I hate winter. That said, it hasn't been cold for very long here in Pittsburgh. Cold snaps, but nothing longer than a few days and that has only happened a few times this season. Last year it was fuck cold from Oct till March. This year we had some cold days here and there in Dec and a few this month. I'm ok with that.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #38204 on: January 25, 2019, 08:34:31 AM

I love winter. All the stuff that either dies in my pool or wants to kill me is taking a rest. It'll be 70 today.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Con: rich, old people everywhere.

-Rasix
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #38205 on: January 25, 2019, 08:37:29 AM

Oh, I know.  This is basically the first real cold stretch we've had this winter so overall, it's not too bad.  Sucks to deal with it NOW though.  We had some snow back around Thanksgiving and then nothing of any significance until last Saturday when we got 8", then another 6" or so this past Wednesday, and now they're talking about 6"-10" on Monday.   Cry

I'm just so over winter in any form.   I'd love to live somewhere when I can occasionally go visit snow and cold if I want to but otherwise completely avoid it in my life.

Yes, yes, I'm sure someone Sky will show up soon to tell me how wonderful snow is and how easy it is to drive in if you practice donuts in the parking lotswhy so serious?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #38206 on: January 25, 2019, 08:55:33 AM

It was cold here but then I waited a few hours.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #38207 on: January 25, 2019, 11:42:01 AM

Winter is great. You fuckers are going to miss it when the ice caps melt and we are all living in Waterworld!
Lin

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #38208 on: January 25, 2019, 01:37:33 PM

What did they change about the form that has everybody upset?
At this point, anything about it. I'm not front lines, thankfully, so I don't know specifics. We have a service coming in to help "low" income patrons, so we hope to offload the worst of the problems. I put "low" in quotes, because I think it's computed using non-local data, as it's set at 56k cutoff. I would like to make 56k, thanks and be low income now, thanks.

Rhyssa,  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? My newest "I love winter" thing is silk interlock long johns under my wool suits. It's a magical combination of comfort. I'm trying to push synthetics out of my wardrobe, I dislike the lack of breathability. Silk+wool=love. Also, you forgot wood stoves and quality snowthrowers  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #38209 on: January 28, 2019, 07:38:24 AM

I bought some Under Armor base layers a few years ago and have no regrets.   There are certainly cheaper options but they keep you warm and I find them really comfortable.

We had about 10" of snow but then it rained for two days straight and went back to freezing cold.  So it's mostly frozen mud and ice here.  Hopefully we get some snow back soon.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #38210 on: January 28, 2019, 08:32:18 AM

I have to admit to kind of being disappointed. I was genuinely expecting someone to have gotten a publish paper on attaching a sail to their car.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #38211 on: January 28, 2019, 10:10:52 AM

I have to admit to kind of being disappointed. I was genuinely expecting someone to have gotten a publish paper on attaching a sail to their car.

You're going to love this link:

https://www.schultzengineering.us/sbuild/sbuild.htm
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #38212 on: January 28, 2019, 03:08:22 PM

Talking about the weather, looks like we're up for some frozen precipitation tonight. Right now, it's still over fifty degrees outside. The ground is wet and warm. If we get any substantial amount of snow or ice at all, it will melt as it hits the ground/road, then the continuing precipitation will freeze on top of that thin layer of water, producing the slipperiest conditions this side of superfluid Helium. A substantial number of the fools out there trying to drive will wreck.

And then we will be laughed at by all you guys with your four feet of snow on an off year...

embarassed
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #38213 on: January 28, 2019, 03:20:56 PM

Yeah, we're about to get the same shit, only it's going to rain BEFORE it hits freezing so by the time the snow comes, the roads will be a goddamn ice rink. If any of that happens, I've already told my work that I will not be coming in. Fuck a bunch of driving in those conditions with these idiots who can't drive when it rains much less when it snows and freezes. Luckily, I can do most of my work from home.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #38214 on: January 28, 2019, 10:46:55 PM

Nothing like what you are getting, but its wind and hail over here tonight. Was talking with someone who spent the day in bed to keep warm

Hic sunt dracones.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38215 on: January 29, 2019, 03:48:26 AM

Repeated every day on the radio here during the months of December, January and February:  Suchandsuch transportation department warns of icy, slippery road conditions and advises drivers to use extra caution.

They say this even when it is clearly well above freezing and there is zero risk of ice within hundreds of kilometers.  And they say the exact same thing on days where when its so icy that I have to skate out to my car.  The weatherman's version of crying wolf.  Annoys me more than it really should.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #38216 on: January 29, 2019, 04:00:57 AM

Have your meteorologists gotten into announcing that every minor snowfall over 1/2" is Snowpocalypse 2000 the worst blizzard of the century? This is why i stay well away from weather TV and websites. Google gives me the facts I need to know about the weather without all of the ridiculous hype.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38217 on: January 29, 2019, 04:28:17 AM

Have your meteorologists gotten into announcing that every minor snowfall over 1/2" is Snowpocalypse 2000 the worst blizzard of the century? This is why i stay well away from weather TV and websites. Google gives me the facts I need to know about the weather without all of the ridiculous hype.

Something like that.  This is Denmark, so the only thing interesting about the actual weather is that it is interesting that human beings thousands of years ago somehow decided that living here made any sense.  I would call it Aggressively Mild.  Technically very moderate, but somehow goddamn unpleasant anyway.

They even start calling things "hurricanes" and giving them names like Hurricane Sven, despite the fact that it is just a stiffer than average breeze and in no way qualifies as a hurricane.  Sometimes they cause hundreds of kroner worth of damage to a few peoples' roofs!  

I have an app, where I quickly look at temp and general forecast for the next few days.  It gets 30 seconds attention from me on an average day.  I do not understand why some are so obsessed with the weather.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #38218 on: January 29, 2019, 06:18:06 AM

Around Chicagoland, we're getting a visit from the polar vortex this week and it's making things ugly.  Yesterday was more snow (our third in about a week and a half,  we now have at least a foot on the ground at the house) during the morning commute so I stayed and worked from home.  My drive is already an hour long in good weather, I refuse to drive in bad weather any more just so I can have my butt at a desk, not when I can VPN in.  Today I'm here at the office and tomorrow I'll be home again because the predicted high temp is -9F with windchills in the -20F vicinity.  It's supposed to get down to -25F overnight tonight with windchills of -50F or thereabouts.  Haven't decided about coming into work in Thursday yet, the high is going to be closer to 0F so maybe. 

Gods, winter sucks.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #38219 on: January 29, 2019, 08:14:07 AM

Very similar numbers to what Pittsburgh is supposedly getting tomorrow and Thursday. Debating on whether to call out sick Thursday as waiting for the bus that may or may not come in that weather is really dangerous.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Pages: 1 ... 1090 1091 [1092] 1093 1094 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: