Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:33:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Wii Release Date & Price 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wii Release Date & Price  (Read 28682 times)
ForumBot 0.8 beta
Terracotta Army

on: September 13, 2006, 09:44:44 PM

Wii Release Date & Price

$250 on November 19th. Done and done.
Cpt_Jigglypuff
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 09:48:59 PM

:-D WII!!!!!  :-D
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 10:03:15 PM

Bah, that's expensive and they broke with tradition. Those games better be awesome or Microsoft is going to squash both Sony and Nintendo here in the US. At least the current buzz is that the system will include Wii Sports and two sets of Remotes/Nunchuks so at least it's not $249.99 for a bare system.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 10:05:23 PM

I just got disgusted.

The Times also re-confirmed that the most anticipated game for the Wii, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, will be available by the end of the year, as will Excite Truck. However, the first Mario game for the console will now reportedly not arrive at retail until 2007.

I may not buy it. I mean, fuck. No Mario or Zelda at launch? Is that known as missing the fucking point? I think it is. Oh, and Gears of War will beat it to the market. It's also coming out the same week as DOAX2 an Gothic 3. Two games that will have no effect whatsoever on the launch of the Wii. Final Fantasy XII comes out two weeks before it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 10:08:38 PM by schild »
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 10:43:55 PM

I didn't expect either Mario or Zelda as a launch title.

I think packaging a game is wise, especially a non-serious game that introduces people to the controller. As far as price, pretty much as expected.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 11:04:42 PM

What the hell is there to buy then? Kid Icarus? Red Steel? Please.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 11:05:32 PM

Japanese Wii launching after US Wii and for less money? At least that's what Joystiq, who are quoting Famitsu who are live blogging the event, is reporting.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 11:10:57 PM

Google translated version of Nintendo PR:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/news/060914.html

So only one set of controllers (I'm assuming that's what the " [nunchiyakukontorora]" means) and no pack in game -- i.e. the usual Japanese configuration. The 12/2 date is still odd though. Why would the US get it so much earlier?

Everyone 
2006 September 14th
The nintendo co. corporation

2006 December 2nd, 25,000 Yen
“WiiTM” sale

Because the Nintendo Co. corporation December 2nd this year (Saturday), (consumption including tax desired retail price) with the country 25,000 Yen new amusement machines “Wii” which create the electronic amusement experience inside completely new home to sell, we inform.

This Wii which we sell (pronounces “[ui]”) or less is included in substance set.
*Wii itself         ×1
*Wii remote control strap attachment         ×1
* [nunchiyakukontorora]         ×1
*Wii private AC adapter         ×1
*Wii private AV cable         ×1
*Wii itself private stand         ×1
*Wii itself private auxiliary plate         ×1
*Wii private sensor bar         ×1
* Plug server stand         ×1
* Single three dry cell batteries         ×2

Furthermore, overseas, it is the schedule which in the next few days is announced from the respective local subsidiary company in regard to sale schedule and price.

Above 
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 11:21:08 PM

What the hell is there to buy then? Kid Icarus? Red Steel? Please.

Didn't you get a 360 at launch?  And a PSP?
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 11:41:22 PM

The 360 was a dramatic improvement over the xbox. The wii is not. Also, CoD2 and King Kong get 2 thumbs up from me.

I bought the PSP mostly for Lumines. Considering I've logged over 80 hours and I NEVER log 80 hours in games anymore, it was worth it.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 12:00:11 AM

The 360 was a dramatic improvement over the xbox. The wii is not. Also, CoD2 and King Kong get 2 thumbs up from me.

I bought the PSP mostly for Lumines. Considering I've logged over 80 hours and I NEVER log 80 hours in games anymore, it was worth it.

If CoD2 and King Fucking Kong made the 360 seem like a wise investment to you at launch but the Wii just isn't a dramatic enough improvement, than yeah, the Wii probably isn't for you.
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 12:35:47 AM

Did you play King Kong? It was really fucking good.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 12:53:58 AM

Did you play King Kong? It was really fucking good.

I'm not sure something that was also released on a every other console and the PC all of the sudden makes 360's launch lineup less craptacular.  PSP's launch sucked too for games. Both got steadily better over time and are now really solid (360 probably more so).

Wii is just going to launch without two Nintendo staples everyone thought would be there and what looks to be a somewhat shakey launch lineup.  Gamecube's launch wasn't anything spectacular even with Super Mario Waterhose.

Same as it ever was.

You'll buy two.

-Rasix
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 02:24:10 AM

Wii.com is live, but with only Japanese content at the moment.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 02:29:21 AM

Ah ha, now it makes sense -- Zelda is a launch title for the Wii in Japan. Apparently Nintendo thinks we're stupid and uneducated enough to buy the Wii without there being a flagship title available at launch while they know better than to do that in Japan.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 02:32:34 AM by Trippy »
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 02:37:03 AM

Launch title for Japan? So America has to wait 2 weeks to get it? Or 3 months? What the hell are they doing? Whatever, I get my pink DS tomorrow.
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 04:23:08 AM

Muahahaha - for once it's their fugly japanese who's going to feel the pain of playing imported games in some weird, incomprehensible language.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 08:29:03 AM

Hooray for not preordering!  Anyone look back to see what our bets were?  I know I missed it.

By the by, it's not like Mario was supposed to be a launch title, at least in the recent months; 2007 is something of a surprise, though.  My house still smells like Mario Sunshine, anyway.  I suppose I will wait for Twilight Princess, myself, since the only other launch title that has me interested to a significant degree is Raving Rabbids (I'd say Metroid but I lost interest in Echoes when I got to Quadraxis).

Ah ha, now it makes sense -- Zelda is a launch title for the Wii in Japan. Apparently Nintendo thinks we're stupid and uneducated enough to buy the Wii without there being a flagship title available at launch while they know better than to do that in Japan.

Hmmm, I think you have it.  I also think Sony has a bigger foothold in NA than in JP, though, which might have some effect as well.  I am interested to see if anyone spins the "worldwide launch" that was hyped, or if we'll just get a photo of Miyamoto performing a comical shrug.

Nintendo will get many points from me for packaging two controllers, if it turns out to be true.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 14, 2006, 08:38:25 AM

I'm guessing the two controllers is the one standard Wii controller with nunchuk and the one "classically-styled" controller that will be used for stuff like SSBB and such.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006, 09:04:36 AM

Most sites today have confirmed Twilight Princess as a US launch title. From Gamespot:

[UPDATE 10] Nintendo has now confirmed that the Wii version of Twilight Princess will be available on November 19, but the GameCube edition won't arrive until sometime in December.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #20 on: September 14, 2006, 09:16:00 AM

Okay that's bizarre then. I have no idea why the Japanese launch would be delayed by two weeks. And only one set of controllers. Boo!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #21 on: September 14, 2006, 09:35:33 AM

Japanese Wii launching after US Wii and for less money? At least that's what Joystiq, who are quoting Famitsu who are live blogging the event, is reporting.

The Wii will cost less in Japan because it won't have Wii Sports packaged with it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #22 on: September 14, 2006, 09:45:45 AM

It'll come with one controller (set of controllers really, the mote and chuk), will come with Wii Sports, which even though it's a light game is still better than the no game that's been packaged with every system since the PS2, and be $150 less than a 360. Sounds decent to me. Not having Zelda or Mario on launch really means shit to me, even though I plan on buying Zelda. All I care about is getting Madden by Christmas, and having Virtual Console games for the wife.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #23 on: September 14, 2006, 10:02:00 AM

Why isn't EB letting me pre-order this?  Every other time I decide that Best Buy is too far away and stoop to purchasing from EB they harass me with the pre-order questions and yet this time, when I actually want to, my money isn't good enough for them.  Apparently "they aren't doing that for systems anymore".  I wonder if Best Buy will do it.
tdean001
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 14, 2006, 10:24:22 AM

Why isn't EB letting me pre-order this? 

Guess they've cooled down on the thought of pre-selling consoles.  Don't want a whole bunch of angry customers, "Why can't I get my Wii?!?!  I PREORDERED, damn it!". 

But, are we facing any sort of shortages with the Wii launch?

t
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 14, 2006, 10:29:07 AM

Man, for some reason my first thought on this news was "Yep, time to bury Sony." $250 and launching in November? With Twilight Princess as a potential launch title? Oh yeah, I'm a Wii60 person all the way.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #26 on: September 14, 2006, 11:04:36 AM

But, are we facing any sort of shortages with the Wii launch?

They haven't specified launch numbers, but they claim to be able to ship 6 million units by the end of the year. We'll see.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #27 on: September 14, 2006, 01:43:13 PM

I only just now became able to skim some Wii sites.  Right now I see that the Wii will be region-free, which I think is fucking sweet.  It won't play DVDs, but who gives a shit?  Also, seems like Metroid Prime Corruption will have a "expert" mode in which it controls a lot like a mouse-n-keyboard game, so I'm a bit more interested in that.

Also, I re-read Trippy's translation and it does clearly say one controller.  I am 95% certain I heard reliably that the old-school controller will be a separate item.  I'll have to read up on this some more.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #28 on: September 14, 2006, 02:04:06 PM

Eh. I looked at the title lineup for the first 6 months of the product's lifecycle and found two I'd definitely play and only a few more that even sound interesting. I think I'm going to throttle my enthusiasm and move this back to a 'wait and see' item; maybe pick one up a half-year to a year out once the library develops more.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #29 on: September 14, 2006, 02:26:01 PM

Bad news... the Wiimote will cost $40 and the Wiichuk will cost $20 to get extras. That's an expensive fucking controller. Hopefully the 3rd party controllers won't be too long in coming. And the press release I have in English says definitely 1 Wiimote and chuk per box.

schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: September 14, 2006, 02:31:04 PM

Third party controllers not made by Hori suck dick.

I'm upset about this Wii launch still. I just can't get past how weak it is for a Nintendo launch. I'd rather a bad mario game than no mario at all.

schild
Administrator

Reply #31 on: September 14, 2006, 02:54:22 PM

Not so long list of Third Party Developers. No NISA on there. I heard they were going to the 360. Looks like it might be true.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #32 on: September 14, 2006, 03:01:09 PM

I see that Smash Brothers isn't even on the horizon from the release lists. Makes sense though if that stuff about Nintendo not releasing the libararies for online play until 6-7 months after the console drops is true.

Yay, I have absolutely no reason to buy a Wii for like half a year!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 03:03:59 PM by Fabricated »

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: September 14, 2006, 03:05:16 PM

- Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (Activision)
- Rapala Tournament Fishing (Activision)
- World Series of Poker (Activision)
- Dragon Ball Z Budokai: Tenkaichi 2 (Atari)
- Chicken Little: Ace in Action (Buena Vista Games)
- Disney’s Meet the Robinsons (Buena Vista Games)
- Dance Factory (Codemasters)
- Sidewinder (Codemasters)
- The Godfather (EA)
- SSX (EA)
- Tiger Woods PGA Tour (EA)
- Bust A Move Revolution (Majesco)
- The Ant Bully (Midway)
- The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy (Midway)
- Happy Feet (Midway)
- Mortal Kombat: Armageddon (Midway)
- Rampage: Total Destruction (Midway)
- Sonic and the Secret Rings (Sega)
- Avatar: The Last Airbender (THQ)
- Barnyard (THQ)
- Cars (THQ)
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty - Krab (THQ)
- Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII (THQ)
- Far Cry: Vengeance (Ubisoft)
- GT Pro Series (Ubisoft)
- Monster 4x4: World Circuit (Ubisoft)
- Open Season (Ubisoft)
- Prince of Persia (Ubisoft)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Ubisoft)
- Ice Age 2 (Vivendi)

Weak post-launch list.

Gamecube 2. You heard it here first.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #34 on: September 14, 2006, 03:34:58 PM

Yup, that seems like a fairly poor launch line-up. Even the N64, with only Pilotwings and Mario64, had a better lineup on Day One.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Wii Release Date & Price  
Jump to: