Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:17:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Wii Release Date & Price 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wii Release Date & Price  (Read 28629 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #35 on: September 14, 2006, 05:17:43 PM

From the American press conference:

Of the 30 games promised by year's end, Kaplan says about half of those will be available at launch. Sounds like Zelda, Excite Truck, and Wii Sports are the only first-party ones, though. While first-party games are indeed $50 and under, third parties are--not surprisingly--free to set their own pricing on upcoming games.

Durrrrr.

It's official: Metroid Prime 3 is now a "2007" title.

Pokèmon Battle Revolution (just announced in Japan) will be the first online-multiplayer-enabled game. Um, good?

Smash Bros?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36 on: September 14, 2006, 09:09:19 PM

I'm upset about this Wii launch still. I just can't get past how weak it is for a Nintendo launch. I'd rather a bad mario game than no mario at all.

If the video is to be trusted, we should have SMW on VC.  But maybe you wanted a new Mario game.

As for the picture of logos, I was under the impression that was a list of people supporting the VC.  It's right in the middle of some Virtual Console pics in the presentation.

The thing that really, really makes me angry and sick is that Link is now right-handed.  For shame.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #37 on: September 14, 2006, 11:29:42 PM

- Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (Activision)
- Rapala Tournament Fishing (Activision)
- World Series of Poker (Activision)
- Dragon Ball Z Budokai: Tenkaichi 2 (Atari)
- Chicken Little: Ace in Action (Buena Vista Games)
- Disney’s Meet the Robinsons (Buena Vista Games)
- Dance Factory (Codemasters)
- Sidewinder (Codemasters)
- The Godfather (EA)
- SSX (EA)
- Tiger Woods PGA Tour (EA)
- Bust A Move Revolution (Majesco)
- The Ant Bully (Midway)
- The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy (Midway)
- Happy Feet (Midway)
- Mortal Kombat: Armageddon (Midway)
- Rampage: Total Destruction (Midway)
- Sonic and the Secret Rings (Sega)
- Avatar: The Last Airbender (THQ)
- Barnyard (THQ)
- Cars (THQ)
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty - Krab (THQ)
- Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII (THQ)
- Far Cry: Vengeance (Ubisoft)
- GT Pro Series (Ubisoft)
- Monster 4x4: World Circuit (Ubisoft)
- Open Season (Ubisoft)
- Prince of Persia (Ubisoft)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Ubisoft)
- Ice Age 2 (Vivendi)

Weak post-launch list.

Gamecube 2. You heard it here first.

Much better than the Xbox360's launch list.
schild
Administrator

Reply #38 on: September 15, 2006, 03:17:56 AM

What are you talking about? We get a system with a magic fucking wand and 90% of the launch is licensed movie shit. Happy Feet? Barnyard? Cars? Avatar? Spongebob? Open Season? Ice Age 2? DBZ? Disney? Godfather?

This list is insulting. The Xbox launch had 1, count them, ONE licensed thing. King Kong. And it was 20x better than almost all the other licensed shit out there. But hey, if you're into shit like Ant Bully and Dance Factory, I suppose it's strong.

Edit: See, I don't speak in terms of what mothers will buy for their kids and shit. I don't give a fuck about that. I care about games I'll like. And even though I'll buy Bust A Move, it's insulting that it's the only title on there that I actually remotely want.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: September 15, 2006, 06:12:35 AM

I'm interested in trying out Tiger Woods with the Wii controller.

It's a good excuse to yell "FOUR!" and smack my brother in the head.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #40 on: September 15, 2006, 06:15:28 AM

I'm interested in trying out Tiger Woods with the Wii controller.

It's a good excuse to yell "FOUR!" and smack my brother in the head.
It's an EA game -- what makes you think it's not going to be a straight port of the GameCube version?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #41 on: September 15, 2006, 06:28:38 AM

I do agree with schild's underlying point about that particular list.  There is, in fact, not one title in that list that I am interested in.  I think the list of titles is huge numerically, and I have an expectation that Nintendo will sell a lot of units, but as he said, there's not a lot in there for me.  That said, even I like to play some Minesweeper once in a blue moon, and I'll give Wii Sports a whack.  I'd likely not buy it, but since it's bundled in... also it could be good practice before I drop cash on a "real" game.

As for why an EA game would not be a simple Cube port... tough call there.  EA professes a great interest in Wii, presumably because they have a belief that it will expand the market much like the DS.  On the other hand, it's fucking EA.  On the other hand, if EA pushes out a big-name golf game on Wii and makes a bitch use analog sticks, that can only spell trouble for them while trying to garner a customer base.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: September 15, 2006, 10:36:39 AM

The one thing I do know is that Red Steel looks fucking awesome and from what I've read it is going to be freaking outraegous.  The sports games sound like fun, but I'm really interested in Red Steel.  I might pre order it.  This will be the first time ever that I've preordered a gaming system.

I do agree though, the line up looks so-so.  We shall see though.  There's this one movie/cartoon based game that was released that I thought was going to be ass-on-a-stick, but I started hearing it was great so I rented it and I LOVED it!  I'm kicking the shit out of myself because i can't remember the damn name right now (I'm at work and trying to make it through the day on only 4 hours of sleep).  It was one of those goofy cartoons too that you would think would suck as a game (like Pokemon, Spongebob, etc...).

Chinchila - LaRoche Server, APB
Drahcir - 50 Captain/GM Weaponsmith, LoTRO Silverlode (Retired)
St Drahcir - 7xMage, UO Chesapeake (Retired)
Chinchilla Dakilla - Barbarian R50, Shadowbane (Retired)
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #43 on: September 15, 2006, 10:40:11 AM

I'm going to buy it just for the new Dragon Quest game, the last one was fantastic.  After a few weeks when I'm done with it I will look at the other games.  Is the SSX game new or is it just a port of one of the others?
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #44 on: September 15, 2006, 11:54:56 AM

From what I can tell, launch day titles are:

Excite Truck
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Call of Duty 3
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Rapala Tournament Fishing
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
World Series of Poker
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Madden NFL 07
Need for Speed: Carbon
Elebits
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
Far Cry: Vengeance
GT Pro Series
Monster 4x4: World Circuit
Open Season
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Red Steel
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent

Like most, if I get a Wii at launch I'll be picking up Zelda, but I'll also be keeping an eye on reviews for Madden, Red Steel, Excitetruck, and Trauma Center.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #45 on: September 15, 2006, 12:49:23 PM

Now, on that list there are things I want.  Twilight Princess, Trauma Center and Raving Rabbids.  Also Elebits looks enough like Katamari that I think my son will like it, so I'll be getting that.  He's not even three but can ALMOST play Animal Crossing on DS, so I am confident the Wiimote will totally be his bag, baby.

I don't know if I'll get Splinter Cell, I have a bad track record of making any headway into those games despite how outstanding they are.  Besides, I figure it will be better on 360.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #46 on: September 15, 2006, 12:59:57 PM

From what I can tell, launch day titles are:

Excite Truck
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Rapala Tournament Fishing
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Elebits (dont knwo this one)
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
Red Steel

All of those look decent. Zelda and Red Steel for sure, I think the THDJ is a Wii exclusive designed for the controller also. And who can pass up Monkey Ball. That right there is more games than Xbox360 has that im interested already. So for me, yeah its a much better launch.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: September 15, 2006, 04:22:20 PM

Madden for Wii sound pretty interesting - multiplayer hijinks for sure. I like to get a Madden game once every 5 years or so. Not sure when that is coming out though. It should have high comedy value.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #48 on: September 18, 2006, 07:58:14 AM

Madden is a release day title, but it won't have online multiplayer this year.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #49 on: September 18, 2006, 10:07:10 AM

By altering my lunch habits, for the last 3 weeks so that I only eat out once a week and never any place "good" I've already managed to sock away just under half the Wii's price. Tack on a few more weeks and I can nab a few games, excellent.

Were I to attempt this for a PS3, I'd have another 15 weeks to go just to get the base system. A 360, 8 more weeks for a base system.

Yeah, I know which one I'm buying and why.  I could care less about not having 'teh shiney' as I'd rather my kids have 'teh food.'

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #50 on: September 18, 2006, 01:03:59 PM

More bothersome news, David Yarnton of Nintendo UK calls Perrin Kaplan a liar: the Wii will be region-encoded.  Furthermore, VC games will also be region-specific.

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: September 19, 2006, 05:30:34 AM

There is, in fact, not one title in that list that I am interested in.

I'm interested in the Marvel game, but that's coming out for the 360, so that'll be the platform I'll buy it for since it actually supports HD.

I dunno, I'm getting cold feet on the whole Wii thing now that we're getting close to the point of sale.  I think I'll wait for some reviews on how the picture is (has to be at least somewhat better than Gamecube on an HDTV) and how the Wiimote handles.  Then I'll wait for a game I actually want to buy, because Zelda has never done anything for me.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #52 on: September 19, 2006, 09:41:05 AM

I am ready to go buy a Wii on launch day, but I am very worried about the non-HD. I have a large TV (60 inch) and I will be really bummed if it is crappy looking.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #53 on: September 19, 2006, 09:54:16 PM

It's going to look at least as good as the Cube, which I have no problems with, but then I only have a 34".  The only game I have that actually looks BAD on the Cube is Warrior Within.  But if you want to see the sweat beads on Lebron James' forehead, you'll need to get the 360.

schild
Administrator

Reply #54 on: September 19, 2006, 09:58:14 PM

The Wii will probably look like trash on my new LCD. Whatever though.
Tragny
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: September 19, 2006, 10:07:15 PM

I'm thinking I'll try to get one for myself for late-December holiday. Fortunately(lawl?) I have a fairly small non-HD television, so lack of HD really doesn't bother me. Going to hold off from release to avoid any unexpected problems. Hopefully there'll be enough in stock to pick one up. If not, I'll just wait. While there's a couple games on the launch list that interest me, it's nothing I can't live another day without. Almost more than that I want to reward Nintendo for keeping a reasonable price tag in a setting where costs seem to keep going up.

"Masturbation is a more rewarding pursuit." -- Evangolis
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: September 19, 2006, 10:12:44 PM

Gameplay over graphics for me.  I still play Grandia1 and Earthbound on my HD, and those games look like SHIT by todays standards.  Some may argue Earthbound looked bad when it was released, even.  I'd be more worried about it if console games were more prone to using the extra horsepower to design more intricate and complex environments than upping the graphics to 11.  I'd love to see a privateer game on the 360 or ps3 whose dev team felt dreamcast-level graphics were adequate so they could instead focus the great majority of dev time building and refining a universe for me to pillage and plunder through.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: September 20, 2006, 07:37:51 AM

Gameplay over graphics for me.

I want both, and I'm willing to pay for it.

The more I look at the gameplay movies the more the Wiimote looks like a gimmick that I'd quickly get really goddamned sick of.  Most of the games shown rely on what basically amounts to just quick mouse gestures to perform an in-game move; hardly something revolutionary.  Also, for games like Red Steel where there actually is a direct correlation between wiimote pointing and on-screen action it still looks extremely cludgy, since you have to aim the pointer to the screen edge to even be able to turn around.  Again, it looks gimmicky and can frankly be done more satisfyingly for the PC.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #58 on: September 20, 2006, 12:40:16 PM

The Wii will probably look like trash on my new LCD. Whatever though.

Yeah, I have a CRT from 2002 so... well, whatever, like you said.  It is what it is, I'm not buying another TV for a while.

I think a Wii game would benefit from a simple palette in much the same way as a Cube game, but who knows?  If I keep my expectations on a GC level, I think I'll not be disappointed.  The main reason Warrior Within looks like ass on the Cube is the dithering, or lack of, since it uses a lot of colors that aren't in the sixteen-pack of crayons.  Something like Metroid Prime, Paper Mario, or several other late-era Cube titles stick to the sixteen-pack idea and don't look nearly as grainy as some other games.  Naturally, this does not bode well for cross-platform titles.

I want both gameplay and graphics as well.  Too bad about the current crop of consoles.  The 360 is looking up, though, what with Broken Saints.  Maybe it has another game I'd like to play as well.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #59 on: September 22, 2006, 06:51:21 AM

I thought someone has posted the real-money cost of VC games, but I don't see it.  It's here:
http://www.nintendolife.com/articles/2006/09/15/the_cost_of_wii_points

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #60 on: September 22, 2006, 07:40:12 AM

Bleh, I thought they were going with lower prices.  undecided

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #61 on: September 22, 2006, 11:00:47 AM

You are ostensibly paying for convenience.  I'd rather pay $5 for a game than emulate for "free", and it would cost at least that much to obtain an original cart in many cases.  Nevermind that my older consoles generally don't work.

I quoted free because, while I'm not paying actual money to emulate, it is a substandard experience most of the time.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #62 on: September 22, 2006, 11:22:41 AM

Bleh, I thought they were going with lower prices.  undecided

Yeah, those prices really aren't that out of whack until you start trying to bring in the emulation argument. And the experience of just FINDING the damn emus is worth spending the $5-$10 for just to avoid.

I'm so enthused about the Virtual Console idea not because of the particular games offered, but because it might shake up some of the asshat publishers in the industry who actively refuse to offer back catalog stuff. Maybe some of the PC games that have gone the way of abandonware might be resurrected at some point (X-Com) in an emulation system and make the rights holders some money in the bargain. Things like XBox Live Arcade, Gametap and the VC are all good things for the industry.

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: September 22, 2006, 04:46:53 PM

I quoted free because, while I'm not paying actual money to emulate, it is a substandard experience most of the time.

Substandard???  With the right filter (Super Eagle, Kreed's, etc) the games often look better than they originally did.  Get yourself a wireless gamepad and hook your computer up to your TV and bingo bango, you've got yourself every 80's/early 90's console out there.  Oh, and did I mention useful shit like save-states?  Substandard, my ass.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #64 on: September 22, 2006, 06:52:06 PM

Most people probably have no desire to hook their PC up to their TV.

Also, finding good ROMs is a pain in the ass, especially with so many viruses and shit hanging around those sites.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: September 22, 2006, 07:12:56 PM

Also, finding good ROMs is a pain in the ass, especially with so many viruses and shit hanging around those sites.

Sites?  LOL, n00bler.

BitTorrent is your friend.  You say you want to entire ROMset for all NES, N64, SNES, MAME, and Genesis systems?  3 seconds in TorrentSpy will give you the complete compilations.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: September 22, 2006, 08:05:21 PM

C'mon.  What about Happy Feet?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #67 on: September 26, 2006, 07:26:21 AM

Substandard???  With the right filter (Super Eagle, Kreed's, etc) the games often look better than they originally did.  Get yourself a wireless gamepad and hook your computer up to your TV and bingo bango, you've got yourself every 80's/early 90's console out there.  Oh, and did I mention useful shit like save-states?  Substandard, my ass.

Let me know when you get all that shit set up for me.  I'm tired.  I'll be downstairs playing my PS2.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #68 on: September 26, 2006, 07:28:22 AM

Finding good ROMs is probably the easiest part of the whole emulation thing.  Just sayin'.  There's also good old USENET, the Web's creepy old uncle with all the porno in his back room.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #69 on: September 26, 2006, 07:34:33 AM

C'mon.  What about Happy Feet?

1) Movie license
2) Apparently the main character has a speech impediment
3) Dancing

Then again, it's only $29.99.  We'll see, but somehow I think my Future-Wii will be dedicated to Future-Zelda for a while.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Wii Release Date & Price  
Jump to: