Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:06:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Nightfall Preview Event September 22 - 24 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nightfall Preview Event September 22 - 24  (Read 19348 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: September 12, 2006, 08:19:24 PM

As has been their traditional ArenaNet is offering everybody a chance to try out the upcoming Nightfall campaign:

http://www.guildwars.com/press/releases/pressrelease-2006-09-12.php
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 10:27:19 PM

I will mark it on my calendar and then forget about it and miss it and regret having missed it.

Thanks.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 12:17:34 PM

We know the classes won't suck.  But it remains to be seen which A.net will show up on Oct. 28. The Farmers or the PvPers

"Me am play gods"
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 08:47:10 AM

Quote from: GuildWiki
Henchmen now mimic most of your emotes but react to some. When you dance, they will provide you with a band. When you play an instrument, they will provide accompaniment. When you play rock-paper-scissors, they will play against you. They will also perform random emotes when idle.
Clearly, A.net priority is creating virtual friends for lonely teenagers.

"Me am play gods"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 08:58:11 AM

How about henchmen just not act on the worst fucking AI in MMOG history? How about the healer henchmen don't run directly into close range to be hammered on by every single NPC in the zone? When they can do that, they'll be allowed to play instruments.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 09:23:55 AM

They haven't been that bad for a while. And this patch suppose to be another upgrade.

I have not faulted A.net for their AI.  AI is hard.  They deserve some slack at least giving us the option, which no other game does.

"Me am play gods"
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 09:27:53 AM

Yeah, the last expansion must have fixed healers because I don't have near the problems I did in the first launch.  My trouble is I can't play my assassin correctly.  I end up watching the fights with my face planted in the dirt half the time.  The hirelings still pull it out for me 9 times out of 10 though.

It wasn't like that pre-expansion, quite the opposite.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 10:56:35 AM

Assasins are more difficult then they look.  Which Shadow Skills are you using?

At lunch, I tried out the new AI.  Its more aggressive. The Jade Brotherhood seemed a bit easier.  I could send the npc after the caster backline quicker and they seem to switch targets after the first one dies faster also.

"Me am play gods"
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 11:01:13 AM

I can't remember actually.  I just tried playing again the other day after not playing for over a month and I completely forgot how to play.  Yes, that class is very hard to play, but effective if done right.  At one point, when I was playing a lot, I figured out the balance of getting quick kills, but not becoming the main target at the same time.  I had to do a lot of in and out of combat movement on top of timing the powers correctly.

It is a fun class to play, but very frustrating if you are just trying to hack and slash your way through the enemy.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 11:44:27 AM

I really think that Guild Wars is what other MMOs should look to for tips on how to make an assassin class.  Invisibility is not such a great idea.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 01:04:17 PM

I really think that Guild Wars is what other MMOs should look to for tips on how to make an assassin class.  Invisibility is not such a great idea.

It's a great example of what Cryptic should have done with Stalkers instead of what CoV ended up with, that's for sure.

Over and out.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #11 on: September 24, 2006, 09:58:09 PM

It was nice to have more control over the henchmen, but I couldn't get my warrior to play aftershock/ earthquake correctly. The AI plays like a 5 year old who just mashs the same 3 skills over and over.  Even when I remove all the skills but the 3 he needed, it was still unlikely he'd do them in the correct order.

I was also annoyed that then was no "attack my target" button.

"Me am play gods"
Llava
Contributor

Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 10:00:19 PM

Well, as predicted, I forgot about this.

Awesome.

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 11:45:30 PM

The few hours I spent playing this weekend provided me with only one thought:

I am tired of this game.

As truly beautiful as the skill system is, as amazing and creative as their new twists are, as gorgeous as the graphics and effects and locations continue to be... they are in service to NOTHING. A flaccid, tedious PvE game and a pulse-pounding but endlessly repetative PvP game. No community, no shared purpose, no sense of place. A bunch of dark and gloomy places with progressively weirder looking monsters.

Yugh.

Enough.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 05:00:37 AM

Yeah, same here.

My guild's on a bit of a GW kick (started replaying the original campaign as a 6-man group, and also checked out Nightfall this weekend) while we wait for BC... and even though the graphics are beautiful and the PVP is fun and definitely more balanced than WOW's, there's a definite feeling of "pointlessness". It makes for a nice 'casual' game for this reason, though. Even after not having played the game for a year+, our old lv20 mains are still viable and fun to play.

-- Z.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 06:42:34 AM

You guys totally summed it up. I just didn't play the preview much. I tried. I wanted to. I just couldn't. It was all done before and not in a better or different way... it was done EXACTLY the fucking same.

I still enjoy it enough to break it out now and again. I may but Nightfall once the price comes down but I highly doubt it's going to be release day. The thrill is gone. It's a fps for me now, a Diablo to play for a couple hours once every couple months. And I hate the people in this game with an overweening passion.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 10:52:41 AM

The skill system in GW really is the best I've played with.  Great balance and flexibility.  It's too bad they didn't make it into more of a 'real' MMO, because their missions get really dull really fast.

Over and out.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 02, 2006, 01:10:49 PM

The few hours I spent playing this weekend provided me with only one thought:

I am tired of this game.

As truly beautiful as the skill system is, as amazing and creative as their new twists are, as gorgeous as the graphics and effects and locations continue to be... they are in service to NOTHING. A flaccid, tedious PvE game and a pulse-pounding but endlessly repetative PvP game. No community, no shared purpose, no sense of place. A bunch of dark and gloomy places with progressively weirder looking monsters.

Yugh.

Enough.

That's about how I feel as well, but I don't know what could be done about it or why I feel that way.  What could they do differently?
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #18 on: October 02, 2006, 01:33:55 PM

After playing the preview, I think this chapter will be another small leap forward in the PvE department.  We may even hit barely passable with this one.  The pacing is better and managing your heroes gives you more stuff to do.

I think some of you are going to have to admit you like the item treadmill and forced grouping of raiding because it provides a focal point for social interaction.

"Me am play gods"
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 02, 2006, 02:50:47 PM

It's not that. It's that it's too little, too late even if it's the greatest expansion known to man. The idea that GW had no forced grouping or grind is complete fucking lunacy. My assassin is STILL sitting at the mission where you kill the little star monsters because I cannot defeat it with henchmen and the community is filled with the worst mongoloid heathen monsters the world's ever seen so I can't do it with them. I'm good at video games and good at GW (for whatever that's worth) and I've failed it 20+ times.

So it may be super swell but I'll be goddamned if I can find it in myself to work up much interest this time around.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #20 on: October 02, 2006, 03:12:57 PM

Yep the playerbase sucks, the darkside of no monthly fee.  To be fair, WoW's isn't that much better.

> No community, no shared purpose, no sense of place.
I guess was responding to pxib's statement.  If I have to choose between that and raiding, I gladly choose that.

"Me am play gods"
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 02, 2006, 03:25:25 PM

I am an admitted raider but they were split for awhile. After further examination and time there's no possible way I would take GW's grouping over a raid. I'd rather wipe with a pickup raid in WoW than die at the entrance to binary programmed mobs in GW; raids at least have some sort of complex mechanic most of the time. GW's mobs tend to be run up, hit, die, everything's exactly the same... AND THE PEOPLE STILL CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Nightfall Preview Event September 22 - 24  
Jump to: