Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:31:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Next Runaways creative team announced 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Next Runaways creative team announced  (Read 2622 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: September 11, 2006, 10:18:14 PM

Quesada confirmed over at Newsarama today that Joss Whedon and Michael Ryan will be writing the story arc following BKV's exit.

NRAMA: So putting this together, Joss Whedon and Michael Ryan are the new creative team on Runaways following Brian Vaughan and Adrian Alphona?

Well, you had some people guessing Whedon/Runaways over the weekend, but just a few days ago this would have been entirely unexpected. How did this happen?

JQ: Quite simply, Joss and Brian K. Vaughan speak quite often and I guess they got talking Runaways, which is one of Joss’ favorite titles. When Joss heard that Brian was leaving he called us up and asked if he could do the story following Brian’s last.

So, while I would love to tell you that I used my powers of manipulation and seduction to lure the ever-illusive Whedon out of it’ natural habitat within the jungles of Hollywood, I had nothing to do with it but I’m thrilled nonetheless. And Michael was hand picked by Joss to illustrate the story. This is fantastic for Michael as I feel he’s a brilliant talent in need of wider recognition and I think this will be the project to do just that!

Also mentioned:

- Runaways spin-off title "Loners", featuring the group Excelsior, which was introduced in the first arc of vol. 2.
- A return of Spider-man's black costume, although it's unknown who will be wearing it.
- JMS writing a new Thor series.
- The big event for Summer 2007 will be called World War Hulk.  Apparently it won't have as many tie-ins as Civil War.
- Marvel crossover with... the soap opera Guiding Light...

JQ: Yup, Marvel’s first soap opera/comic book crossover. Marvel's mightiest heroes (and villains) meet some of daytime drama's steamiest as the Mighty Avengers and their deadly foes descend on Guiding Light's city of Springfield to determine if a new super-powered character will be a friend or fiend!

NRAMA: Hmmm, here are two simple questions - how and why [laughs]?

JQ: This came about through our collaboration with one of Guiding Light’s designers whom we worked with for Storm’s wedding gown. [VP of Sales] David Gabriel broached the idea with them about doing a bit of audience cross-pollination and they loved the idea. Again, this is just one more way that we’re trying to reach out beyond our usual audience in an effort to expose those who don’t know anything about the greatness of comics and hopefully come back with a few new converts.

Yeah, I always thought there was a lot of potential overlap between comic readers and daytime soap fans...

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 10:55:37 PM

Whedon is a good fit.  I was desperately frightened that it was going to be Bendis.  But the type of writing Whedon does suits the Runaways nicely, basically drama with some humor and action thrown in when needed, so I'm cool with it.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 08:01:35 AM

I haven't read the Runaways (it's on my list of things to read), but will this mean Runaways will go bi-monthly like Astonishing X-Men? Or is the slowness of that book due to Cassady?

Also, soap opera... whuzzatwho? While I can see the similarities in structure (serialized continuity), I think this is one of those not really a good fit type of crosspollinations. It also seems like another one of Quesada's "let's get some mainstream attention" gimmick promos, like unmasking Spidey.

Also, JMS on Thor? While I like JMS, his latest comic work has left me cold.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 08:57:48 AM

Judging from the comments on the Avengers and the Civil War stuff around here, a soap-opera tie-in sounds about right.  Not that it is a good thing, but the quality of the stories are about the same...

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 09:08:27 AM

I haven't read the Runaways (it's on my list of things to read), but will this mean Runaways will go bi-monthly like Astonishing X-Men? Or is the slowness of that book due to Cassady?

It probably depends on how long Whedon will stick around on the title.

Judging from the comments on the Avengers and the Civil War stuff around here, a soap-opera tie-in sounds about right.  Not that it is a good thing, but the quality of the stories are about the same...

They might as well go all out then and add wrestling into the crossover.  Throw some WWE "stars" in there.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 12:27:32 PM by Velorath »
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 10:23:11 PM

Joss Whedon pisses in all of my cereal. I'm pretty sure this means it'll take 100 issues for anything fucking interesting to happen (assuming his comic writing is anything like his tv writing).
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 10:58:23 PM

Joss Whedon pisses in all of my cereal. I'm pretty sure this means it'll take 100 issues for anything fucking interesting to happen (assuming his comic writing is anything like his tv writing).

On Astonishing X-men he's more or less been working in 6 issue arcs with the Breakworld plot-thread running though his 24 issues.  A good amount happened in the first arc, the second arc was a bit slower, and the thrid arc so far has been an extended fight with the Hellfire Club.  I get the idea so far that he's not planning on doing Runaways long term due to his other commitments.

Also I'd like to point out that it took volume 2 of Runaways quite a while to build up to where it is now.  The last few issues have been great, but a few of the earlier arcs could have been cut down by an issue or two each.  Of course it's only been recently that Marvel is stepping back from the 6 issue story arc on some of their books.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Next Runaways creative team announced  
Jump to: