Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 01:18:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Acclaim wants a piece now: 2Moon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Acclaim wants a piece now: 2Moon  (Read 6145 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

on: August 08, 2006, 09:16:01 PM

This was news to me, though I'm sure at least 3 people here knew about it already :)

2Moon coming to getcha

Quote from: The puff piece
"2Moons" to be Directed by Game Development Veteran David Perry

Acclaim Games announces a free, totally brutal massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) designed specifically for adult gamers. Bearing the tagline: “No mercy for the weak, no pity for the dying, no tears for the slain.” 2Moons was created to be an easy to get into game set in an aggressive, dangerous and visually stunning world. This M-Rated title is targeted at those looking for an adrenaline soaked experience and aimed squarely at players looking to kick @$$ for free!

With 24-years of experience in the video game development business David Perry, whose latest Matrix Movie related game projects grossed over $300 million, hand picked his key creative partner, Mr. Sunghun Baek for the 2Moons project. Mr. Baek is the Designer and Chief Technical Officer for GameHi, a blockbuster game maker from Korea.

As Acclaim CEO Howard Marks explains “David is a superstar in the game world and his first MMORPG is going to change the ‘game.’” “2Moons is a game that focuses on training players to become saviors in a world where any hope for survival was virtually nil,” says Perry. “Instead of wading through a lot of heavy back story, the game’s narrative is all about the individual’s journey as they grow to become a level 100+ warrior. And the arcade style fighting system in the game lets you dive right in and go hand to hand with some of the most impressive enemies in a massively multiplayer game yet.”

This collaboration of two leading game designers from either side of the planet, working on a game of this titanic scale, is hailed as visionary and very exciting. But perhaps the partnership’s most beneficial component for players is that Acclaim’s model is based on releasing full-price games for free. With no subscriptions, and no charge to download the game, it will be funded mostly by advertising--and (even more radically) the user will be allowed to turn off the in-game adverting if they choose. With Perry's approach, Acclaim is determined to offer truly free gameplay by creating a new kind of advertising model for the industry.

“I've been to Korea twice in the last few months and have met with a lot of very impressive talent.” Perry, who also sits on the Advisory board of the Game Developer Conference, said. “GameHi’s Chairman Mike Kim is extremely forward-thinking, and he really wants the Western gamers to experience the unbelievable work his teams do and I'm going to help him do just that.”

You may register immediately to be a member of the 2Moons closed beta (for free) at www.acclaim.com.  Log on today and make sure you are one of the first in the world to experience this exciting new game! More information will become available in the coming months.

Basically sounds like the corporate stuffed-shirt version of "play2crush".

Arcade-style combat, ingame advertisement in lieu of subscriptions and they think "heavy backstory" is a chore, so instead they'll give it a grind through level 100+. And while they say "the user can turn off the advertising if they choose", I will personally guarantee "choose" will involve forking over some sort of bling. At least this is in line with their new-ish vision

Not much else to see here yet. It's not like every new MMO that gets announced is newsworthy per se. I just found this one unique because, well, it's Akklaim, a company I think that's reinvented itself thrice in the last two years?

Plus, they seem to like the whole Number+Noun thing, as 2Moon comes along a bit after 9 Dragons.

Good times.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 09:30:06 PM by Darniaq »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 09:29:41 PM

Basically sounds like the corporate stuffed-shirt version of "play2crush".

They probably don't even know what play2crush is, who wants it, what it entails, what it requires, etc..

Having "arcade style combat" and "100 levels" in the same game doesn't make any sense either.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 09:55:57 PM

That's funny, because arcade style combat with 100+ levels is called Gunz.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 10:05:38 PM

I thought Gunz sucked ballz. Not an example of arcade combat imo.

But that's beside the point.

When I think "100 levels" I think "Milestones". I think "Carrots".

When I think "Arcade Style Combat", I think of a combat system that pretty much drops every skill and carrot on the table for you the minute you launch the game. It's up to you to make sense of them. Milestones are the things contained in the actual storyline, not your character (bosses, stages, cutscenes, etc..).

Sometimes you can make an arcade-y game with lvling type of elements, but never on the scale of anything necessary or crucial. Minor things, like small weapon upgrades that go to "Level 5" or slightly increased HP (ala God of War), but nothing that scales to the equivalant of a 100 levels worth of work. If a game needs that much upgrading and progression, then it's not an "Arcade Style" of game at all.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 10:07:28 PM by Stray »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 02:33:26 AM

When I read "arcade style fighting" and "hand to hand" I think of SF2 and VF.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 03:48:09 AM

Whoa there. Too much credit. I lower the bar. When I think of arcade style fighting, I simply think of something that requires more skill than pressing a hotkey every couple seconds and maximizing your toon through math.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 05:19:08 AM

Why is it, that when I read that, my first thought is something along the lines of "They're going to re-skin and re-release RyL?"

Eh, should provide some amusement down the line, once all is revealed.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 12:03:02 PM

I get the feeling they're just making this game in order 2Moon those serious about the genre.

Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 06:30:52 PM

To me, "adult gamers" and "adrenaline-soaked action" don't really belong in the same paragraph.  That is, if you understand your target demographic.

Witty banter not included.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 09:16:48 PM

To me, "adult gamers" and "adrenaline-soaked action" don't really belong in the same paragraph.  That is, if you understand your target demographic.

I was having trouble with the "easy to get into" world being "aggressive" and "dangerous" but then I realized that I was just being unreasonably pessimistic.  With the guy behind "Enter the Matrix" and "Wild 9" on board, what could possibly go wrong?
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 09:44:02 PM

Why is it, that when I read that, my first thought is something along the lines of "They're going to re-skin and re-release RyL?"

It's going to be based off a Korean game called Dekaron, yet be completely different.

Whatever that means. But hey, it's free and is likely to come out before anything else I'm interested in. I'll take a look at it.

Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 10:03:15 PM

Whatever that means. But hey, it's free and is likely to come out before anything else I'm interested in. I'll take a look at it.

I'll go out on a limb and say that it will be worth every penny.

Witty banter not included.
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 06:46:16 AM

If you're looking for free action with levels, check WarRock. It's CS with persistent levels and 10 sec respawns.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Acclaim wants a piece now: 2Moon  
Jump to: