Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:14:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Valve Takes the Whole "Prey Thing" One Step Further 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Valve Takes the Whole "Prey Thing" One Step Further  (Read 29109 times)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #35 on: July 19, 2006, 09:52:24 AM

Oh, I suppose you could artificially limit the "teleports" like that. I was thinking infinite fire thing would cause a problem.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #36 on: July 19, 2006, 11:10:32 AM

That and, if you look at the Source SDK docs, it specifically states that traces (for hitscan or other things) have an upper distance limit that they'll trace to, so even if you managed to get it to fly through the portal a whole mess of times, it'll eventually stop tracing after the distance limit is achieved. You could, in a mod, set up something with a ridiculously long trace limit (it's an argument to the trace function) and try to crash the server like that, I suppose, but if their trace code is good, it'd just jump back to the start of the trace after modifying the trace's vector with the surface normal of the portal. Long loop, but probably pretty tight.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #37 on: July 19, 2006, 11:43:58 AM

There's no way you could make a hitscan weapon fire forever with two portals facing eachother, since to get a shot to go forever you would have to fire it perfectly straight into one of the portals...which would result in you being hit. If it's off at any angle and doesn't manage to hit you somehow, it'll just travel through the portals until it has moved enough to miss entering one.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #38 on: July 19, 2006, 11:57:53 AM

If it's an acute enough angle, that could take quite a number of calculations.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #39 on: July 19, 2006, 01:27:34 PM

*smacks forehead at yoru/fabricated*
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #40 on: July 19, 2006, 01:38:48 PM

I know I'm not the only person wishing I could give out "nerd points" in this thread.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
WindiaN
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: July 19, 2006, 01:44:57 PM

I know I'm not the only person wishing I could give out "nerd points" in this thread.

what if you enabled both infinite tracer length AND full bullet penetration? Can i get some points now?
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #42 on: July 19, 2006, 02:42:30 PM

You really need to go into nerdy detail of why that would be so cool/overpowered/server-crashing or whatever to qualify for points, sorry.  Better luck tomorrow!

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #43 on: July 19, 2006, 02:46:12 PM

I only knew that because I was looking at the Source SDK docs yesterday to satisfy some curiosities about their object model.

Turns out it's similar to MFC and COM, which amused me to no end.

Okay, I guess that is pretty nerdy.  embarassed
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #44 on: July 19, 2006, 09:18:35 PM

This looks like the kind of game that would make me throw my mouse.  Camper's paradise is the tip of the iceberg, the whole ruleset for FPS thinking goes out the window.  Putting Bugs Bunny portable holes in a FPS is going to make a lot of grown men cry.  It had better have fucking sticky grenades, too.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #45 on: July 19, 2006, 09:20:40 PM

Very nerdy.  Don't bring that up when trolling for poon.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #46 on: July 19, 2006, 09:22:13 PM

Theoretically you should be able to put a hole in one wall and another right next to it perpendicular and make recursive grenades. God this is going to be fun.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #47 on: July 19, 2006, 09:22:34 PM

I have to say, ever since Tribes1 opened up the z-axis to me I've found standard fps so damn boring I just can't get into it anymore.  Something I was trying to bring up when I drunkenly rambled about K-games was that I think that games where you have to learn something to play well are something we need more of, not less.

This looks and sounds cool, any hope I had of not getting re-involved w/ Valve has gone out the fucking window it seems I've been saying I'm going to get HL2/CS:S for like 4 months now for various reasons.

-William Gibson
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: July 20, 2006, 12:41:21 AM

Apparently this was originally a Digipen student project, and Valve picked up the whole team when they graduated.  Das details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narbacular_Drop

Good for them for doing something so cool for a school project.
schild
Administrator

Reply #49 on: July 20, 2006, 12:52:10 AM

EGM (or maybe PC Gamer, I forget), covered this game in it's FREE GAME section right before E3.  It's just getting press now. I find that interesting. Slap Valve on it and make a pretty trailer and it's suddenly HUGE. That said, I didn't look into it either when I read about it in a magazine and only noticed how cool it was when the trailer came out.

Heh.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: July 20, 2006, 01:04:13 AM

As much as I'd like to bury them all up to their necks in concrete, there's a reason markerters exist.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: July 20, 2006, 01:08:06 AM

Late to this thread.

Holy.   Fuck.

Valve have some big fucking brains working there.  Big.  If they can only crack that AI stuff, I don't reckon I'd need to buy games from anyone else.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #52 on: July 20, 2006, 06:49:41 AM

Man, I miss Tribes2. I wish Planetside has used jetpacks.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #53 on: July 20, 2006, 08:42:34 AM

EGM (or maybe PC Gamer, I forget), covered this game in it's FREE GAME section right before E3.  It's just getting press now. I find that interesting. Slap Valve on it and make a pretty trailer and it's suddenly HUGE. That said, I didn't look into it either when I read about it in a magazine and only noticed how cool it was when the trailer came out.

It's not so much the Valve logo as the trailer.  There's a difference between hearing about the game in the abstract and seeing teh shiney for yourself.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #54 on: July 21, 2006, 01:07:25 PM

I only knew that because I was looking at the Source SDK docs yesterday to satisfy some curiosities about their object model.

Turns out it's similar to MFC and COM, which amused me to no end.

I was going to mention this, except you already had.  I know it from looking at writing mods for Quake and UT.  Both had distance limits on the hitscan function, I couldn't imagine someone else taking it out.  It's basically how quake limited the range on the shotgun.

And I have to agree with everyone else.  This looks Freekin' Cool.  I may have to actually purchase something from Valve.  Dangit.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Valve Takes the Whole "Prey Thing" One Step Further  
Jump to: