Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:34:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Equilibrium? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Equilibrium?  (Read 2810 times)
RipSnort
Terracotta Army

on: July 01, 2004, 11:18:16 AM

I never heard of this movie but recently caught it on Showtime. It stars Christian Bale as an enforcer for this 'Orwellian" future oppressive government. As the movie progresses he begins to doubt his convictions and rebels.
It may have been my state of mind (late Sat. night with a distinct skunky odor in the room) but it seemd like halfway through it changed from a somewhat deep storyline into a campy action flick. I thought it was cool as hell. I also thought Kill Bill was great. So take that into consideration.
Has anyone checked this out? I'm surprised I never saw any info about it before this.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 11:21:53 AM

Yeah, it's a decent sleeper hit type of action movie. Not terribly deep, not bad at all, with some cool action scenes. It went a bit over the top in the resolution, I thought, but it was definitely worth seeing.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 11:24:05 AM

I saw it in the theatre when it was released.  I enjoyed it.  It falls perfectly into my favorite genre, really good, bad sci-fi.  It's a good movie to watch when your coherent as it seems to reference or pay homage to just about every major sci-fi work of the last 50 years.  It's pretty fun to just try and find all the different references.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Ezdaar
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 11:50:35 AM

If you can get a hold of the DVD watch it with the director's commentary on, it's pretty funny.
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 12:00:16 PM

I always enjoy this type of sci-fi movies and books. Always interesting to see how they envision the neo-facism of the future. It ofcourse also had the added bonus of having some really good action scenes.

Wiiiiii!
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 03:58:23 PM

Ya know what Equilibrium had going for it?

Crazy fucking ninja gun madness. That's what.

Oh and a certain unique style. It was very pretty.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 10:16:26 PM

Ah, so it was in the movies somewhere. Around here it went directly to DVD, or so it seemed. Just materialized and nobody I know has heard of that flick. I must say I liked it. Liked the philosophy behind the fighting technique of the Clerics, liked that they had a reason to run around with stone faces for a change. Yes, the ending was rather weak compared to the rest of the movie, with some plotholes emerging here and there, but the ride was worth it.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004, 10:43:21 PM

It recieved only a limited release in the US.  I believe only a few major cities showed it.  I was luckly enouph to be in one of them, and caught it during the week and a half they showed it.  Thats really sad too, as I enjoyed it way the hell more than the last two Matrix films.  If they had given it a full release and a little higher budget, it could have been a HUGE hit.  Oh well, still a great movie.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 02, 2004, 07:05:06 AM

The movie has been discussed many times on the old waterthread forums.  That is why it has not come up here very much other than in some threads that end up talking about the new batman.

The plot hole that still kills me is the whole part where Taye Diggs character gets framed by bale's character.  That scene makes no fucking sense at all in the context of the movie.  The swap scene was way out of order and it was only one gun at best, not the pair.  The only way the scene works is if the 'bad guys' knew bale did it and let him accuse the wrong person.  That part is pretty true, but to have bale make the accusation on nonexisting evidence would make bale a freaking idiot.  I was hoping the director commentary would shed some light, but he was more interested in boring discussions of framing, how the interrogation table kept getting smaller, and lighting.

[eta]
Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie.  I can nitpick things like this but still enjoy the movie as a whole.  As a whole it was a very fun movie.  I loved the early work by his partner Sean Bean.  Really setup the movie with what could have been a throwaway part.  In the end I think it was the best acting in the movie.  Not to put anyone else down by that comment.
ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 02, 2004, 07:59:40 AM

The first time I heard of this movie, someone on the Planetside boards had taken all the fight scenes and put them all together with some Linkin Park song as the soundtrack. Tossed it on my netflix queue at the top and I wasn't disappointed. I'll see if I can find that video with all those fight scenes.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 02, 2004, 09:35:08 AM

But then we would have to listen to Linkin park.  The band that sounds even more pre-assembled than the spice girls.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #11 on: July 02, 2004, 10:24:17 AM

I thought it was fucking terrible outside of the gunfights.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 05, 2004, 04:25:15 PM

Very good, very stylish movie.

Reminded me of some boring old sci-fi classic an English teacher would make the class watch spliced with awesome action scenes.

I own the DvD and love it.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Equilibrium?  
Jump to: