Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:30:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 1286220 times)
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #6510 on: June 04, 2019, 09:45:18 AM

So, the follow up to the Excellent Children of Time is Shit.

Awww... There go my hopes.

Though I did enjoy Dogs of War, from the same author. Sort of related in many of the concepts.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #6511 on: June 09, 2019, 02:33:22 PM

Hey Haemish, is the reverend's name Joseph, Fred, or Earl in your book Drowned?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6512 on: June 09, 2019, 02:35:28 PM

Fuck's sake. It's Earl. I found 1 time where I called him Fred and no instances of Joseph. This isn't the first time my editing has fucked me years down the line.  why so serious?

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #6513 on: June 09, 2019, 03:51:59 PM

LOL! I figured it was just oversight. It was Joseph when first mentioned, Fred when he introduces himself to Jack (where I'm at now in the book), and Earl at some point in-between. Enjoying the story so far quite a lot.

Figured it would be polite to note where :
Ch.3 - page 162
Ch.7 - page 190 (last line of the chapter)
Ch.8 - page 191

I'm reading the omnibus version from B&N if that helps at all.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 04:03:28 PM by RhyssaFireheart »

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #6514 on: June 27, 2019, 11:26:33 PM

I really enjoyed Noumenon, which is a sci-fi story about a multi-generational trip to visit a star "acting weird" - could be a Dyson sphere, could be a signal, who knows!

It was actually pretty good, fairly well written and explored the issues of a group of people originating from Earth but eventually being so many generations removed that Earth was a fairy tale - but to return was an original mission parameter the governing faction wanted to achieve.

Started to read the sequel, Noumenon Infinity, but so far it hasn't grabbed me like the original.

Finally finished Infinity, took awhile to grab but it was really interesting. The book spans many thousands of years but because the fleets use lines of clones, you have some continuity of characters across those years as you jump from major event to major event. Recommended if you like sci-fi with a bit of an edge, deals with sub dimensional travel, but also very long timelines.

- Viin
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #6515 on: June 28, 2019, 02:38:59 AM

I really enjoyed Noumenon, which is a sci-fi story about a multi-generational trip to visit a star "acting weird" - could be a Dyson sphere, could be a signal, who knows!

It was actually pretty good, fairly well written and explored the issues of a group of people originating from Earth but eventually being so many generations removed that Earth was a fairy tale - but to return was an original mission parameter the governing faction wanted to achieve.

Started to read the sequel, Noumenon Infinity, but so far it hasn't grabbed me like the original.

Finally finished Infinity, took awhile to grab but it was really interesting. The book spans many thousands of years but because the fleets use lines of clones, you have some continuity of characters across those years as you jump from major event to major event. Recommended if you like sci-fi with a bit of an edge, deals with sub dimensional travel, but also very long timelines.

.....and now I have the explanation as to why I have Noumenon sitting in my Kindle app waiting to be read.  Couldn't remember why I downloaded it.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6516 on: June 29, 2019, 01:47:21 PM

Read another Max Gladstone Craft novel. They're very well-done. Great world-building.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #6517 on: June 29, 2019, 05:12:33 PM

Finished Becky Chambers The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet. I liked it on the whole. The plot is a bit weak, the characters are good but almost trip over into being a bit too sweet/sentimental here and there.

I'm reading this now and enjoying it.  It's got a very strong Firefly/Farscape vibe.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #6518 on: June 30, 2019, 10:42:38 AM

For those of you still interested in my books, I've just released the last 2 novellas in my Cthulhu series, The Stepping Stone Cycle. As usual, available in eBook for $.99 cents each. I've also combined all 6 novellas into one eBook and paperback compilation. Whatever format you want, you can find the link for it on my "Buy My Books" page.

To try to promote these books, I've also started a Youtube channel that's navel-gazing commentary on each of the books and my writing in general. The first "Zero" episode is a bit long but the future ones will be chopped down into more manageable bits.
The Author Has Thoughts: Episode Zero

Teach me to not keep up with this thread!

I've enjoyed your Stepping Stone Cycle -- nice contemporary treatment of the Mythos.

Looking forward to reading the last two installments.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #6519 on: June 30, 2019, 07:00:34 PM

Read another Max Gladstone Craft novel. They're very well-done. Great world-building.

Recent?

I've read the first few and enjoyed them but the last one I read seemed like the quality was dropping off, but it was a few years ago now.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6520 on: July 01, 2019, 06:03:02 AM

Saw a used copy of China Mieville's City and the City and picked it up. It was really enjoyable and his ability to craft interesting settings is definitely there, as well as his love of 'twist' endings . Definitely worth a read but I didn't get as into it as I have his New Crobuzon stuff. I'd been reading about possible TV adaptations but I have to say having read it that I can't really see how that would work.

I also had an issue with one of the earlier encounters he has with Breach as a kind of disembodied voice that doesn't really square with how he sees them work later nor with how other people react to them. I kind of feel it's one of his weaker works in terms of crafting a consistent world. I think he was a bit too focused on a message that power structures in the world are a matter of the paradigm within which we experience them rather than being immutable, real power that results in the earlier presentation not really making sense with how the 'big bad' forces actually work.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #6521 on: July 01, 2019, 07:24:53 PM

Saw a used copy of China Mieville's City and the City and picked it up. It was really enjoyable and his ability to craft interesting settings is definitely there, as well as his love of 'twist' endings . Definitely worth a read but I didn't get as into it as I have his New Crobuzon stuff. I'd been reading about possible TV adaptations but I have to say having read it that I can't really see how that would work.

I also had an issue with one of the earlier encounters he has with Breach as a kind of disembodied voice that doesn't really square with how he sees them work later nor with how other people react to them. I kind of feel it's one of his weaker works in terms of crafting a consistent world. I think he was a bit too focused on a message that power structures in the world are a matter of the paradigm within which we experience them rather than being immutable, real power that results in the earlier presentation not really making sense with how the 'big bad' forces actually work.

He likes to take a fun concept and then bash it over and over and over and over... I'm sure he's got a book out there where he manages to restrain himself enough to keep it enjoyable the whole way through, but for me it starts falling into a bit of a pontificating narcissistic swamp around halfway in.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6522 on: July 02, 2019, 06:39:19 AM

The one book I read of his, Perdido Street Station, started off well but he drastically overwrites and yeah, about halfway in he disappears up his own ass.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6523 on: July 02, 2019, 07:05:33 AM

Last First Snow was the Craft I read (published 2016); I've read the others. I think the only issue I see sometimes with the books is that the characters don't always interest me as much as the world-building and the plotting. The side characters like the King in Red are more memorable sometimes than the main protagonists of a given novel.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #6524 on: August 13, 2019, 07:07:20 PM

Aftershocks (The Palladium Wars, #1) by Marko Kloos

Free sci-fi book on Kindle, released in July. I grabbed it as I was bored and am about 1/4 through the book. I'm not a deep reader; this is like pulp scifi. But for free I am getting more than my money's worth.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #6525 on: August 15, 2019, 08:31:40 AM

Currently reading: Bruce Lee: A Life.
On deck: the next two Becky Chambers books.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6526 on: August 15, 2019, 06:59:31 PM

I wanted to like those so much because I really liked the first one, but they don't have the same touch imho.

Starting Arkady Martine, A Memory Called Empire.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #6527 on: August 20, 2019, 09:18:07 PM

Last First Snow was the Craft I read (published 2016); I've read the others. I think the only issue I see sometimes with the books is that the characters don't always interest me as much as the world-building and the plotting. The side characters like the King in Red are more memorable sometimes than the main protagonists of a given novel.

I've started reading Last First Snow twice now, and while I don't dislike it, I've just stopped and not gone back it it for months without missing it. I'll finish it eventually.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #6528 on: August 21, 2019, 12:43:34 AM

I am currently reading "This Is Lean" which is basically a book about flow efficiencies in processes, part of the whole Lean / Six Sigma sphere of things.  Best utilization of resources and/or flow units, that sort of thing.

I only mention it because I am 100% reading it while on the shitter.  I feel this demonstrates my absolute command of the subject matter.  I might be a Lean genius.  A Leanius.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #6529 on: August 27, 2019, 04:18:56 PM

Currently reading: Bruce Lee: A Life.
On deck: the next two Becky Chambers books.

I wanted to like those so much because I really liked the first one, but they don't have the same touch imho.

I liked the second Chambers book (A Closed and Common Orbit) quite a bit, but it was a very different sort of story from her first book.  Felt a lot more like Star Trek whereas LWtaSAP felt like Farscape.  Working on the third book right now and I think the story it reminds me of is Breaking Away.  Really interesting how different the three books are despite being set in the same universe and sharing (some of) the same characters.

Bruce Lee: A Life is a really good read if you're interested in the history of kung fu movies.  I was personally interested in it partly because of Bruce Lee's San Francisco roots (which ended up being a pretty minor part of the story, although the circumstances of how he came to be born here were interesting) and partly because of the Wing Chun aspect (which actually figured more prominently into his history than I'd thought given that he became sort of disassociated from traditional martial arts later in life).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 04:21:30 PM by Samwise »

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #6530 on: August 29, 2019, 09:01:13 PM

So, apparently "Dodger" by Terry Pratchett (which I don't think had been previously released in the US) is free if you have Kindle Library. Reading it now, it's very Pratchett, and simultaneously very Dickens (who is a character in the book). Only a third or so into it so far, but the "Pratchet" elements (which are Big Bads that are probably some form of magical) are stirring to the forefront.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #6531 on: August 30, 2019, 04:54:07 AM

So, apparently "Dodger" by Terry Pratchett (which I don't think had been previously released in the US) is free if you have Kindle Library. Reading it now, it's very Pratchett, and simultaneously very Dickens (who is a character in the book). Only a third or so into it so far, but the "Pratchet" elements (which are Big Bads that are probably some form of magical) are stirring to the forefront.

--Dave

I checked it out from my local library like 5 years ago so, yes, it has been available in the US.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #6532 on: March 27, 2020, 04:16:57 PM

Welp, the next Dresden Files book is coming out finally in July.  They made a trailer and everything, and then straight up announced the folloiwng book as well is coming out in the end of September.  Apparently Butcher's writing situation is fixed.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6533 on: March 28, 2020, 07:27:50 AM

5 years ago I'd have been pretty excited about that. Now I'll probably end up buying it off Amazon sometime next year when it hits my recommends and I'm at a loss for what to read. Which is kind of a shame as the series had been actually going somewhere in terms of development.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #6534 on: March 29, 2020, 04:52:16 PM

Welp, the next Dresden Files book is coming out finally in July.  They made a trailer and everything, and then straight up announced the folloiwng book as well is coming out in the end of September.  Apparently Butcher's writing situation is fixed.
What was his situation? I know he did that Aeronaut thing (I never read it) and maybe some short stories? I haven't paid attention in ages.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #6535 on: March 29, 2020, 07:29:06 PM

New wife combined with major problems building a new house.  Hadn’t been able to get into the zone for writing.  He’s been pretty up front about what’s been going on.  Looking into it, it looks like Peace Talks was running really long for one of his books and he split it into two.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6536 on: March 30, 2020, 02:48:11 AM

I think all that personal stuff also came along with the Dresden Files hitting a level of complexity in terms of continuity and plot threads that he hadn't properly laid the groundwork for and writing it became a massive administrative slog that turned him off. That part is me reading between the lines a little bit, the problems he's discussed and generally how he's not enjoying writing so much. It's understandable.

I'm really waiting for Charles Stross to start progressing the Laundry Files more, although he's noted that having a semi-real UK means that all the recent political upheavals are things he wants to incorporate and basically fucked him up writing wise as well. Urban fantasy seems to not gel well with writing massive series.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #6537 on: March 30, 2020, 06:51:06 AM

His new wife used to work with me, and I suspect is not as cool with the misogyny in the writing.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6538 on: March 30, 2020, 07:58:31 AM

You mean he had to go back through and write out all the 'good guy' rape vampire scenes with Thomas? What great work of art will SJWs destroy next? Ohhhhh, I see.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6539 on: May 13, 2020, 10:10:41 AM

So I just finished the Lightbringer series (http://www.brentweeks.com/series/the-lightbringer-series/) and it's decent at best. It had good characters, decent writing, but the total plot of the story was pretty weak as well as the conclusion to it. The magic system and lore of the world was really ripe for a great grand-arc story but I think it was squandered unfortunately. It felt empty at the end.

Anyway, I'm thinking about reading His Dark Materials next. Anyone of any opinion that it's not worth reading?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #6540 on: May 13, 2020, 11:10:06 AM

So I just finished the Lightbringer series (http://www.brentweeks.com/series/the-lightbringer-series/) and it's decent at best. It had good characters, decent writing, but the total plot of the story was pretty weak as well as the conclusion to it. The magic system and lore of the world was really ripe for a great grand-arc story but I think it was squandered unfortunately. It felt empty at the end.

Anyway, I'm thinking about reading His Dark Materials next. Anyone of any opinion that it's not worth reading?

I am actually halfway through the third book.  I like it....above average.  I feel the second book is weak, but the first and last are good fantasy fare.  If you like the show, it is a no-brainer.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6541 on: May 13, 2020, 11:42:06 AM

First two books of His Dark Materials are a great read. I like Amber Spyglass, the third book, fairly well, but some people weren't as wild about it. It gets a bit preachy.

I'm almost done with the first of two prequels that Pullman wrote recently. I'm not wild about the first one--it feels unnecessary and frankly kind of boring for much of it.

About to tackle Priory of the Orange Tree. Freaking huge.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6542 on: May 13, 2020, 12:12:59 PM

I am actually halfway through the third book.  I like it....above average.  I feel the second book is weak, but the first and last are good fantasy fare.  If you like the show, it is a no-brainer.

The only reason why it's on my list is because of the show. I wanted to read before I watched.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6543 on: May 13, 2020, 03:40:11 PM

I read the first...2, maybe 3 books of this series and was kind of enjoying it. His Night's Angel series was really good, so I'll probably at least finish this one. Shame it doesn't hold up; I really liked the magic system.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #6544 on: May 13, 2020, 09:56:52 PM

The only reason why it's on my list is because of the show. I wanted to read before I watched.

Then I would definitely recommend it.  In case it is not clear, the show's first season is basically the first book.  So if you want to read the first book and then watch Season 1, you won't be spoiling anything for yourself.  Shit, I read the first book weeks after finishing the tv series, and still liked it quite a lot.

Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: