Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 05:50:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Subscribe! | Shop: Amazon

***DONATION DRIVE 2 HAS BEGUN:
CLICK HERE TO BURN MONEY***
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 492235 times)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #6335 on: November 21, 2017, 03:32:58 PM

No it is not a trilogy, it is slated to be I think 10 books.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #6336 on: November 21, 2017, 03:37:53 PM

meh

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #6337 on: November 21, 2017, 06:25:54 PM

Hea the only author I trust to start writing a series this long and actually finish it.  Im not even sure Butcher is going to finish the dresen files anymore.  Sanderson at least is a massively prolific writer.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #6338 on: November 22, 2017, 12:01:56 AM

I read the first Mistborn trilogy recently and can't remember how it ended. So went back and reread the Wikipedia page and went 'oh yeah that's right, it got silly and make little to no sense'
Did you try the second set (the Wax and Wayne stuff)? I found the writing a lot tighter, the world and plot far more intriguing (revolvers and new fangled electricity and the railroad isn't that old a thing), and the powers were considerably more varied and well rounded. No out and out Mistborn with all the powers, but a lot of people with one power and a few with two (one of the "burning metal" types and one of the "Storing/retrieving crap from metal" types.).

They're also a bit more stand alone. I think he wrote the first as a bridging book for some other idea, but clearly liked the setting and characters.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6339 on: November 22, 2017, 05:18:31 PM

Is the Stormlight thing really supposed to be 10 books? Even given his efficient process, I'm not keen on that. There is just no fucking story in the history of the world that justifies that kind of serial bloat.

And yes to his pacing issues--it's what all these guys, good and not-good, do: endless fucking filler and then suddenly a bunch of shit at the end. Terrible.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #6340 on: November 23, 2017, 08:52:13 AM

I think that the Stormlight stuff is an indulgence. Ten enormous books that he can release three or four years apart will last him for his whole career and be the defining story of his Cosmere where most of his other books are set. I suspect the other, shorter books are what actually supports him. Not everyone is going to be willing to reading a 1500 page blockbuster every few years.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #6341 on: November 23, 2017, 09:18:14 AM

I think you are wrong on that, the giant brick serial fantasy genre has been selling books consistently for 30 years. If the books didn't sell, Jordan would not have been able to milk the WoT gravy train for 15 years releasing books that did nothing to forward the plot if people were not willing to read tons of pages every few years.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6342 on: November 23, 2017, 09:43:52 AM

Is the Stormlight thing really supposed to be 10 books? Even given his efficient process, I'm not keen on that. There is just no fucking story in the history of the world that justifies that kind of serial bloat.

And yes to his pacing issues--it's what all these guys, good and not-good, do: endless fucking filler and then suddenly a bunch of shit at the end. Terrible.

He's gotten a lot better with that, comparing this latest WoK book to earlier stuff... well he's actually kept it feeling like things are happening throughout, plot points get brought up and resolved. Might be partly the longer size but even the recent Mistborn books have been much, much better on that front.

Also Mistborn is now suffering from series bloat, it was originally slated to be three trilogies: A medieval fantasy, an urban fantasy and a futuristic/sci-fi fantasy (same world in different eras). The second trilogy wasn't actually meant to be a trilogy, he got bored on a flight and knocked out a short story set between the first two which he enjoyed writing and got very positive fan reaction to. The first trilogy ended unsatisfyingly because he was setting up a whole series. It's a big ask though, the WoK is an indulgence in the sense of it's designed to be centrepiece and showcase for his Cosmere writing. Basically he's aiming to draw in figures from other books and explore the universe rather than individual worlds, I'm guessing something to do  even as prolific as Sanderson is though I can see later books being more than 3-4 years apart if it's as ambitious as he's hinted. There's a lot to keep track of beyond actually writing out 3,000 pages consistently. The side novels are more to keep him from getting overwhelmed and to keep him enjoying writing.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #6343 on: November 23, 2017, 05:12:13 PM

I think you are wrong on that, the giant brick serial fantasy genre has been selling books consistently for 30 years. If the books didn't sell, Jordan would not have been able to milk the WoT gravy train for 15 years releasing books that did nothing to forward the plot if people were not willing to read tons of pages every few years.

Oh I'm sure they make money. I just think the target audience is going to be smaller (although likely a lot more enthusiastic.) The difference between Sanderson and Jordan is that Sanderson writes plenty of more normal sized books and just pops out a two thousand page epic every two or three years.
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: