Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 06:11:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 1322551 times)
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #5355 on: September 03, 2013, 08:52:19 PM

Yeah, I looked for it too on amazon.ca but couldn't find it.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #5356 on: September 03, 2013, 10:28:18 PM

He's had a few that seemed like an end. I think he'll keep writing them until he dies.
He writes them for fun, it seems.  There's no deep symbology, just a pastiche of noir detective and light fantasy.  Get the feeling he works on them when he's stuck on other projects.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #5357 on: September 03, 2013, 11:03:55 PM

And yet I far prefer them to his other books.

He has a very flat style. I find it wearing in a long book or series (though it's very apt for black company - like no one is ever alive) but the Garrett PI books are a little more energetic, probably because they're so genre touchpoint driven (a few are flat out fantasy fan-fic rewrites of classic hardboiled plots).
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #5358 on: September 05, 2013, 08:56:36 PM

Recently, read *The Storytelling Animal: How Stories Make Us Human* by Jonathan Gottschall which was a good read on "story", surprising since an earlier title by Gottschall (which was a collection essays, most of which not by him) was kind of meh. But in there is a reference to Mahrin Skel / "David" Rickey

Above all, MMORPG worlds are profoundly meaningful. As game designer David Rickey put it, people enter MMORPGs to take a daily vacation from the pointlessness of their actual lives. A MMORPG is an intensely meaning-rich environment— a world that seems, in many ways, more worthy of our lives and our deaths. MMORPGs accomplish this, above all, by resurrecting myths. In the virtual world, the myths retain all their power, and the gods are alive and potent. Here is how Warhammer Online describes the sinister warlord Tchar’zanek: “In the lands of the far north, where tribes of savage barbarians worship the abhorrent gods of Chaos, a new champion has risen. His name is heard on the howling of the icy winds and the shrill cries of ravens. It is proclaimed in peals of thunder and whispered in the nightmares of men. He is Tchar’zanek, Chosen of Tzeentch [a god of Chaos], and he will shake the very foundations of the Old World.”

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5359 on: September 06, 2013, 05:40:20 AM

Heard a teaser for a long-form interview with Neil Gaiman about American Gods on the BBC World service in my car yesterday. I guess it can be heard starting Sunday (including online). I have not read that book, think it might be next on my list of things to pick up after I finish the Baroque Cycle.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #5360 on: September 17, 2013, 08:54:10 AM

Just finished up The Serene Invasion by Eric Brown. This is a very light book with an neat old school sci-fi idea and feel. At the beginning, aliens arrive and do something such that no one can commit any violence. There's something about string theory to explain it, but it's mostly just hand waved away. Combined with free beamed solar energy he contrives to make a utopia and then think lightly through a rather intimate look at several protagonists about how things might happen. It's a very light and easy read. I don't know that it's for everyone, but after a long bout of reading about zombies, dystopias and fairly grim nonfiction it was exactly what I needed. It hopeful without being saccharine.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #5361 on: September 17, 2013, 11:12:53 AM

I've only caught up with the last few months/pages, but I didn't see a mention of Guy Gavriel Kay on them.

He's not for everyone, but he's precisely what I'd like to be someday. Expansive and thorough alt-history* worldbuilding combined with a nature-poetry prose style, a palpable awe to the rare encounters with magic and myth, and deep (sometimes deeply digressive) explorations into even the most minor character.

I'm about to start his latest, River of Stars, which is a quasi-sequel to Under Heaven.

*EDIT: Perhaps "alt-history" is not quite the right description. What is does is take a real world historical place and setting as a basis for an original fantasy realm. Under Heaven, for example, was based on Tang Dynasty China, while River of Stars is set in a fantasy version of Song Dynasty China.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 11:20:33 AM by Stormwaltz »

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #5362 on: September 17, 2013, 01:01:23 PM

Just finished all of the Black Company books, i liked them but they are a bit depressing. 

I am the .00000001428%
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #5363 on: September 17, 2013, 01:09:43 PM

I'm through Silver Spike on my reread.  I didn't enjoy it as much this time.  This used to be my favorite one in the series.

-Rasix
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #5364 on: September 17, 2013, 01:36:57 PM

Just finished all of the Black Company books, i liked them but they are a bit depressing. 

I'm trying to remember what he did and it's been a while, and the Black Company stuff seems strangely underrepresented on the webs, so I can't even look up decent timelines/synopses.  Or maybe my google-fu just sucks.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #5365 on: September 17, 2013, 01:48:53 PM

I'm trying to remember what he did and it's been a while, and the Black Company stuff seems strangely underrepresented on the webs, so I can't even look up decent timelines/synopses.  Or maybe my google-fu just sucks.

I am the .00000001428%
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #5366 on: September 17, 2013, 02:31:41 PM

I've only caught up with the last few months/pages, but I didn't see a mention of Guy Gavriel Kay on them.

He's not for everyone, but he's precisely what I'd like to be someday. Expansive and thorough alt-history* worldbuilding combined with a nature-poetry prose style, a palpable awe to the rare encounters with magic and myth, and deep (sometimes deeply digressive) explorations into even the most minor character.

I'm about to start his latest, River of Stars, which is a quasi-sequel to Under Heaven.

*EDIT: Perhaps "alt-history" is not quite the right description. What is does is take a real world historical place and setting as a basis for an original fantasy realm. Under Heaven, for example, was based on Tang Dynasty China, while River of Stars is set in a fantasy version of Song Dynasty China.

I've only read one of his, but it just didn't do it for me. Perhaps because it read so clearly as alt-fantasy history. It didn't have a very grounded or self propelling quality.
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #5367 on: September 17, 2013, 03:25:54 PM

Yep, I'll agree with this.  While I haven't read his more recent stuff, I really liked his earlier work (Tigana, a Song for Arbonne, Sarantium, and last light of the sun).  I didn't think much of his first books - Fionavar - I felt they were standard fantasy - however I did read those probably 15-20 years ago, so they may be worth a revisit.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #5368 on: September 17, 2013, 05:33:04 PM

Well i guess i need some recommendations for what to read next.  Looking for a finished, or well underway and with an active writer fantasy series.  I've enjoyed the malazan books, the black company books, Abercrombie's first law trilogy and standalones, Sandersons Mistborn stuff (not tackling his new series until it is much further along), RR Martin, Zelazny, Tad Williams (enjoyed all three of his series), Robin Hobb's farseer trilogy.  I even enjoyed the wheel of time on rereading once it was done, well enjoyed the first few books and the last few, it is still extremely shitty in the middle.  Gave up on the sword of truth and the shannara books.

I am the .00000001428%
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5369 on: September 17, 2013, 06:32:07 PM

Have you read any C.S. Friedman? The Coldfire Trilogy is pretty damn good.

I will probably be shunned around here for saying this but I have always found that Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince trilogy is not too bad a read, especially if you are in need of something with a lot of pages (the second trilogy, the Dragon Token, slips quite a bit but it is still a bagillion times better than Terry Goodkind).

You could always dive into the Recluce books by Modessitt...guy is as good as they come at hooking you onto his formulaic writing.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #5370 on: September 17, 2013, 06:54:19 PM

If you're going to read Guy Gavriel Kay for the first time don't start with the Fionavar Tapestry. It's bland boring fantasy.  Every single book he's written since has been way better.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5371 on: September 17, 2013, 07:27:59 PM

Brent Weeks' Night Angel trilogy is pretty good, if you like assassin characters. Also since you mentioned Robin Hobb, did you read the Tawny Man trilogy? It's the sequel to the Farseer stuff and I liked it; her Soldier Son series however is horrible, stay away. I'll also echo the Friedman recommendation.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #5372 on: September 17, 2013, 07:30:58 PM

Have you read any C.S. Friedman? The Coldfire Trilogy is pretty damn good.

I will probably be shunned around here for saying this but I have always found that Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince trilogy is not too bad a read ...

I liked the Coldfire trilogy. I haven't read the Dragon Prince series, but I did enjoy the Exiles series by Rawn.

Not mentioned here recently, but the Death Gate Cycle (7 books?) is pretty good - Weis and Hickman. I think I'm going to re-read those soon ..

Also, read RR Martin's other books - they are all pretty good. Especially liked Armageddon Rag.

- Viin
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #5373 on: September 17, 2013, 09:18:52 PM

If you're going to read Guy Gavriel Kay for the first time don't start with the Fionavar Tapestry. It's bland boring fantasy.  Every single book he's written since has been way better.

I've read everything else he's done and generally loved it (I think Sailing to Sarantium may be my favorite), but have never checked out Fionavar because everyone says that about it, and I read too much bland boring fantasy in middle school while looking for more stuff after LOTR.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #5374 on: September 18, 2013, 06:29:42 AM

Well i guess i need some recommendations for what to read next.  Looking for a finished, or well underway and with an active writer fantasy series.  I've enjoyed the malazan books, the black company books, Abercrombie's first law trilogy and standalones, Sandersons Mistborn stuff (not tackling his new series until it is much further along), RR Martin, Zelazny, Tad Williams (enjoyed all three of his series), Robin Hobb's farseer trilogy.  I even enjoyed the wheel of time on rereading once it was done, well enjoyed the first few books and the last few, it is still extremely shitty in the middle.  Gave up on the sword of truth and the shannara books.

"The Lies of Locke Lamora" by Scott Lynch was awesome. There's two books out and the third is coming in October I believe. It's going to be going for awhile though, since I believe 7 books are planned.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #5375 on: September 18, 2013, 07:27:05 AM

I don't know that I'd recommend the Lynch's Gentleman Bastard with the given caveats. Books 1 and 2 came quickly, but there's been a huge gap in between 2 and 3. However, Amazon does have Lies for a buck today (9/18) if you want to check it out.

While I wouldn't say it's finished, I would recommend Steven Brust's fantasies. There're 13 books in the Vlad Taltos series and they are all mostly stand alone. It follows one character, but it moves around in his life from book to book. I would definitely recommend reading in publication order. Then he has a companion series, The Khaavren Romances, starting with The Phoenix Guards. It's an homage to Alexandre Dumas, Wikipedia actually quotes Brust as saying it's "a blatant ripoff of The Three Musketeers."

Michael Sullivan's "The Riyria Revelations" series is fairly standard fantasy, sort of in the Raymond Feist mold. It's not really good, but it's not terrible. It started off as a self published thing and got picked up by one of the big houses. I believe it's complete now.

N.K. Jemisin's "The Inheritance Trilogy" is done and the first two books were strong, the last was kind of a let down.

Rachel Aaron's Eli Monpress series is another self publish thing that was picked up by a large publisher. The initial hook is pretty good, but the follow ups before she was picked up lack some of the early fun. But her more recent books have gotten better. Not quite the same as the first but still good.

Lawrence Watt Evans Esthar stuff is popcorn fun. The world is the connecting character. It's all stand alones otherwise. I would read these in publication order as he is continually building on the world.

Glenn Cook's Darkwar book was initially a series, but has been published as an omnibus. It's an odd one but I really liked it.

Sharon Shinn can be good, but she gets a bit romancy. She has several completed series.

D.M. Cornish's "Monster Blood Tattoo" series is technically YA but I loved it. It avoids all of the normal YA lurve triangle nonsense and is instead a bildungsroman in this really neat world.

Carol Berg's "Rai-Kirah" series was good. It also gets a bit romancy at times, but it's worth it.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #5376 on: September 23, 2013, 06:21:36 PM

Lawrence watt Evans dragón weather series isnt bad like most series it starts better than it ends. 
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5377 on: September 23, 2013, 07:18:45 PM

Finished the Boroque Cycle last week, possibly my least favorite of the Stephenson stuff I have read. Still was worth reading, but not likely one I will re-read.

Just read American Gods today (home sick from work), very much enjoyed it.

Now to figure out what else I have missed is floating out there. Guess I should go to the library in the next couple of days.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5378 on: September 23, 2013, 10:35:13 PM

Anansi Boys (the sequel) was far superior to American Gods IMO.  So if you liked the first one you should definitely pick that one up.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5379 on: September 24, 2013, 04:34:00 PM

Finished the Boroque Cycle last week, possibly my least favorite of the Stephenson stuff I have read. Still was worth reading, but not likely one I will re-read.

Just read American Gods today (home sick from work), very much enjoyed it.

Now to figure out what else I have missed is floating out there. Guess I should go to the library in the next couple of days.

That's the only thing by Stephenson I couldn't finish. I think I made it halfway through book 1 before losing interest and dropping it.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5380 on: September 24, 2013, 04:43:18 PM

I liked the Baroque Cycle better than either Snowcrash or Cryptonomicon.  I've liked his recent stuff more though.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5381 on: September 29, 2013, 05:16:39 PM

Guy Kavriel Kay is very honest himself about his early books--they're not where his heart is at or what he thinks he's done really well.

He's a very nice and smart guy--I've corresponded with him once or twice about things I've written re: fantasy and history.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #5382 on: September 29, 2013, 08:10:59 PM

I liked the Baroque Cycle better than either Snowcrash or Cryptonomicon.  I've liked his recent stuff more though.
The Baroque Cycle alternated between fascinating, slow, interesting, and boring. I'm glad I read it, but it's not likely I'll ever read it again.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #5383 on: October 03, 2013, 11:53:34 AM

If you liked John Dies at the End (the book) for its tongue in cheek yet sincere style, you will like Monster Hunter International.

I have never played WoW.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #5384 on: October 03, 2013, 12:10:17 PM

Slightly off topic (and hope I'm not repeating information)

If you have a library card and an e-reading device of some sort (ipad, kindle, etc etc) most likely your library offers downloads of e-books for free (you get them for 14 days). Check your local libraries website for more info, mine for instance uses an app called 'Overdrive'. It's a fairly small library so inventory is pretty weak, wish I had a card with Boston PL. You can place holds on books you want as well.

I snagged a copy of Anthony Bourdain's  'Kitchen Confidential' which is an absolute fricken riot. All the better if you've ever worked in a restuarant.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #5385 on: October 03, 2013, 12:31:16 PM

Depending on your library there can be some neat and unexpected stuff available too. I never would have expected the Indianapolis library to have a collection of alternative lifestyle books, much less the large collection it has available.

However, my standard caveat to all of our patrons is that we can only buy a fraction of the available ebooks from the big houses. The library I work for only buys from Penguin and Random House. We have recently started talking about buying HarperCollins books, but the 26 checkouts then we need to buy a new license thing is still a tough sell. I see from ALA that we can possibly buy from Hachette, but I haven't heard that we are. Most of what we have are still Random House books. We don't buy as many Penguin books because they have a stupid USB transfer only policy for their Kindle editions so Kindle app users are hosed.

Most libraries are using Overdrive, so you don't even need a dedicated reader or the app. Most of the Overdrive books can be read in a browser now.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #5386 on: October 08, 2013, 02:59:08 PM

I'll second (third?) Brust for some very fun fantasy, although a couple of the later books kind of lost their way.

Cherryh is another favorite. I liked her Morgaine science-fantasy best. Early space stuff from Downbelow Station through Cyteen was awesome, with Cyteen being one of my favorite books. Many like her Faded Sun trilogy but her frequently recurring theme of a helpless and confused male being rescued by a strong female lead just got too blatant/preachy/strident/repetitive for me at that point, and I very much like strong women.  Later series are not quite so obviously harping on this theme.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5387 on: October 08, 2013, 04:17:16 PM

Just read The Long War by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. Not quite as good as the first book but was definitely a decent read.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5388 on: October 09, 2013, 05:02:24 AM

Finished Shift and it was really well done.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #5389 on: October 09, 2013, 05:11:53 AM

Just read The Long War by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. Not quite as good as the first book but was definitely a decent read.

I found the first book to be a fairly flat and uninspiring read. While there is a really fun concept there, the plot seemed to have a ton of holes in it. It didn't feel like the usual quality I would expect from Terry Pratchett. If the second one isn't as good I don't see myself rushing to read it.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: