Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:34:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Coldsnap previews underway 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coldsnap previews underway  (Read 14546 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: July 15, 2006, 04:54:24 PM

No real reason was ever given.

Most tribal decks that actually attack with creatures would run it, and nobody likes playing against it, I guess that's all.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: July 15, 2006, 05:47:12 PM

No real reason was ever given.

Most tribal decks that actually attack with creatures would run it, and nobody likes playing against it, I guess that's all.

The given reason for banning anything:

When a card becomes format defining,  it should be banned.  The format becomes decadent, devolving into two types of decks:  decks that use the card,  and decks that are based around beating the decks that use the card.

In Urza's (didn't play, but followed the discussions when Ravager was up for banning),  Tolarian Academy decks flourished.  They could have near infinite mana on turn 2,  with the easy Urza's card drawing and other cards.  There were decks that were completely designed around beating Academy.  Tolarian Academy is still banned in Urza Block and restricted in whatever they call Type 1 now.

Skull Clamp.  If you ran more then 12 creatures, you ran it.  No question.  Upwards of 80% of decks that would top 8 in pro events would have skull clamp in them.  Banned.

If Jitte is legal in a format,  you need to maindeck ways to get rid of it or deal with it.  It's that powerful a card.  Tribal is supposed to be a more relaxed and casual friendly environment.  Leaving in Jitte means that most creature heavy decks would have to shell out the ~20-30 tix just to compete.

Not counting tix for things like pithing needle that are the only mana efficient way to deal with jitte.

It's like banning tutors in prismatic:  It breaks what is supposed to be casual and fun play.  That's why the black Bringer, Gifts, etc etc are all banned in Prismatic,  even if they're fine in Type 2, Extended, etc.

In extended, jitte isn't much of an issue.  It's a little too slow there,  and you have lots and lots of good ways to deal with it efficiently.  Especially since Ravager Affinity is still legal,  you'll always have some anti-artifact tech main or side.

Even in Standard...  Sure, Jitte is powerful.  It's singlehandedly lost or won me games.  But there are a million ways to deal with it in Standard.

Faith's Fetters is a common.  Pithing Needle is widely played.  Putrefy is everywhere.  Etc.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: July 15, 2006, 05:49:41 PM

Blah, rambled last post.  Two sentence summary:

If the vast majority of decks in a format will always run a card,  there are going to be bannings.  All tribal decks should run a Jitte, therefore it should be banned in tribal.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #38 on: July 15, 2006, 05:53:28 PM

Jitte was a lot harder to deal with before Ravnica, and that's why I stuck to 8th/9th stuff.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: July 19, 2006, 05:08:45 AM

If Jitte is legal in a format,  you need to maindeck ways to get rid of it or deal with it.  It's that powerful a card.  Tribal is supposed to be a more relaxed and casual friendly environment.  Leaving in Jitte means that most creature heavy decks would have to shell out the ~20-30 tix just to compete.

You are right ofc, but it's worth adding that unfortunately to be competitive you need to shell out 50-100 tix before you buy a single spell in any format right now.

Shocklands @ Rare = teh suck.

At least Jitte was locked at 11 tix because of the precon.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: July 22, 2006, 10:08:48 PM

Going to a cardboard release tourney tomorrow.  I'll try and post some impressions on Coldsnap.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: July 24, 2006, 08:07:53 PM

Impressions of Coldsnap limited.  Played sealed,  make a deck from 5 boosters:

- Snow lands and creatures are important.  Quite a few decent cards are dependent on snow mana to be used.

- Much less power then Rav Block.  Seemed to be "hold till you draw a bomb" type play

- There are some real bombs.  I had the Vamp legend,  (hasty 5/5, flying, draw a card when deals damage to a player) and it whooped up on people

Only played 3 rounds and went home.  The thing had been going on for 5 1/2 hours at that point, I was 1 and 2 (stupid play mistakes cost me 2 close matches). 

Sealed will be alot different play from draft, but....   Seems like it has limited appeal.  It's not as bad as drafting one of the small sets (like a DDD), but it's not nearly as good as drafting one of the big sets (like a RRR).
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Coldsnap previews underway  
Jump to: