Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:26:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Coldsnap previews underway 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coldsnap previews underway  (Read 14548 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: June 28, 2006, 04:45:20 AM

All from here, obviously.

Other cards this week so far are a pitch wrath of god and a rejig of FTK which inlcudes a blinking spirit mechanic.

The selecting 10th edition promotion is also going on, if you feel so inclined this week you can vote to choose between Troll Ascetic, Ravenous Baloth or Erham Djinn in 10th.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Xilren's Twin

Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 08:02:12 AM

Dark Depths plus Aether Snap = 20/20 in one turn for 5 mana rather than 30...

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 09:28:34 AM

Dark Depths plus Aether Snap = 20/20 in one turn for 5 mana rather than 30...

Xilren

Indestructible, flying 20/20.  Wheeeeee
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 10:33:11 AM

So um...you basically need to drop a pacify or something on it the turn after it is summoned or you lose pretty much, right?

At least it doesn't have Trample, hehe.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 10:58:44 AM

Any bounce will kill it, and with the land gone, you can't get it back. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 01:48:29 AM

Jesus. Marit Lage. You can actually summon him. Wasn't he first mentioned in flavor text in Antiquities?
Strazos

Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 05:17:22 AM

I wonder what the MTG:O graphic for the token will be?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Driakos
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 06:12:30 PM

I'm still playing Kamigawa block stuff.  I can never catch up.  I'll be able to talk about these cards in a year and a half.

Wasn't it Fallen Empires that Marit Lage was the flavor text king?  I'm too lazy to go look it up.  I think it was FE though.

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 06:34:42 PM

Just looked it up in Gatherer. First set was Ice Age. I was thinking of Lat-Nam. Which first showed up on Drafna’s Restoration in Antiquities.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 10:22:47 PM

Like the art, hate the card. (For the land) I hate cards that induce a lot of book-keeping. (Over though I play only online now)

In general I'm not feeling the whole snow thing...

I will defnitely vote for 10th ed cards, for 9th the community basically selected the worst choice at each turn.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 08:50:48 AM

I will defnitely vote for 10th ed cards, for 9th the community basically selected the worst choice at each turn.

The 9th ed votes showed the mtg.com communities unerring sense of crap design at it's best.

I have little doubt Troll Ascetic will win this vote, because it's one of the least fun least skill testing creatures ever to grace a card.

It never seems to occur to people when voting that the other guy gets these cards too.

Another card revealed today...

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 10:13:26 AM

I love Ravenous Baloth.

Troll will win.  Because it's stupidly broken and fucks up the metagame and color wheel.

GREEN SHOULD HAVE EFFICIENT LARGE CREATURES, SOMETIMES WITH A CRAPPY ABILITY.

Untargetable is a blue ability. 
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 11:03:09 AM

I have mixed feelings about the card selection in general.

I feel you need two things:

1: Cards that are interesting.

2: Cards that will see play outside of sealed deck.

To me Earthquake is better than Hurricane because of 2, and Paladin En-vec is better than Auriok for the same reason. However EQ and Hurricane are basically the same card, whereas Auriok is actually more interesting than En-vec.

Troll Ascetic is clearly the best card our of the three most recent choices, but people eloquently describe it as "non-interactive". You can't kill it or do anything about it. It's not interesting. One of the things that made 9th suck and Rav (at least the first set, that's all I've really played) interesting is that in Rav there was a lot of interaction, a lot of abilities, etc.

Baloth is interesting and good enough to see play, so that is my vote. Ernam is also interesting but won't see play outside of sealed or 10th draft. It certainly won't show up in any type-2 or extended decks I would imagine.

In Selecting 9th a lot of people chose cards that were interesting but would never see play. For example Yawgmoth Demon. (I think that was the one, the sac artifacts each turn black dude) With Mirrodin rotating out there were no artifacts to sac, I've NEVER seen Yawg in play even in sealed. No matter how interesting the card is it doesn't matter if it is never played, but on the other hand pure power doesn't really matter, as long as it is good enough to get use.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 02, 2006, 10:52:48 AM

Looking at some more spoiler cards:

Sunscour (Sorcery, 5WW)

You may remove two white cards in your hand from the game rather than pay Sunscour's mana cost.
Destroy all creatures.

Alternate costing casts?  Eeeep!  Have to be careful here.  Alternate casting costs can be massively broken.

Ohran Viper (Creature 1/3, 1GG)

Whenever Ohran Viper deals combat damage to a creature, destroy that creature at the end of combat.
Whenever Ohran Viper deals combat damage to a player, you may draw a card.

Ummmm?Huh  Magpie is green now?

Some pretty powerful stuff in there.  Lot's of fodder for combo decks if people can figure out how to break things.
Strazos

Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 08:01:43 PM

Wow....Sunscour is uber. Cheapass WoG.

Fear the Backstab!
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 04, 2006, 01:50:21 AM

Wizards certainly seem to be pushing enchantments these days.

Strazos

Reply #16 on: July 04, 2006, 08:52:12 AM

Heh, Ravnica makes that card a lot easier to play.

Fear the Backstab!
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 04, 2006, 09:27:23 PM

Hmmm....

That guy isn't going to fly with this environment.  He's fodder for any one of the dozen very good targeted removal spells.  It might be interesting once Rav rotates out,  if Coldsnap doesn't go with Rav.  Lots of pros have started putting finishers like Meloku as being sub-par because s/he dies so easily to everything.

Part of the reason there's been a resurgence in using the dragons (Keiga, especially) as finishers.  They don't die to Char/burn,  and if you Mortify/Putrefy/etc they have leave game effects that are fairly useful.

The problem with alternate casting cost spells is they too often have bad synergy with other things Wizards puts out.  A blue/white deck using lots of card drawing can now Wrath for free, while keeping mana open for counters. 

A counter/board clearing lock is the 2nd most boring situation in Magic behind efficient Land D decks.
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: July 05, 2006, 05:55:07 AM

I don't mind a clever land destruction deck with creature support. As for most boring, well, Affinity really raised the bar for how shitty MtG can be. The game may never be the same again for me. I mean, even now, I have money I could spend on MtG but the last few (new) sets have been so meh, that. I dunno. They always start out nice, but the burnout effect settles in quick when you start playing the same shit over and over again.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 05, 2006, 06:20:45 AM

le sigh

Strazos

Reply #20 on: July 05, 2006, 06:46:30 AM

Hey, I paid good money for my Ascetics, damnit.

Fear the Backstab!
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 05, 2006, 06:41:44 PM

Damn it, I am so sick of that damn troll! He's an annoying card that doesn't interact with anything around him at all. Stupid troll!

Grrr....

Anyway, the alternate casting cost of discarding cards is scary in that you can play a bunch of situational cards, and if you don't need them pitch them. For example cards that are only good in the first few turns, or in the last few. Cards you don't need more than one of in your hand, etc.

If you are stuck with say 2 force-spikes in your hand at mid-game discarding them isn't really a cost at all, because they weren't doing anything in your hand anyway.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 05, 2006, 06:49:08 PM

Damn it, I am so sick of that damn troll! He's an annoying card that doesn't interact with anything around him at all. Stupid troll!

Grrr....

Anyway, the alternate casting cost of discarding cards is scary in that you can play a bunch of situational cards, and if you don't need them pitch them. For example cards that are only good in the first few turns, or in the last few. Cards you don't need more than one of in your hand, etc.

If you are stuck with say 2 force-spikes in your hand at mid-game discarding them isn't really a cost at all, because they weren't doing anything in your hand anyway.

Exactly!

I wouldn't be surprised to see a new version of Force of Will, actually.  Wizards has been trying to fix Classic/Vintage by reissuing close approximations of the old power cards, which now cost waaaaaay too much money.

My old Tundras and Volcanic Islands are practically investments now. 

New dual lands replace old duals.  Chrome Mox for the other moxen.  A Force of Will that was freely available would go a long way to making Vintage/Classic a playable format for alot of people.

I think Magic Online rereleasing old sets is part of move to set up Open as a "fun" play anything environment.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 05, 2006, 06:54:04 PM

I don't mind a clever land destruction deck with creature support. As for most boring, well, Affinity really raised the bar for how shitty MtG can be. The game may never be the same again for me. I mean, even now, I have money I could spend on MtG but the last few (new) sets have been so meh, that. I dunno. They always start out nice, but the burnout effect settles in quick when you start playing the same shit over and over again.

Land D decks now are fine.  They never run more than 8ish or so Land D spells/creatures.  Monored control from Mirrodin/Onslaught, for instance.

Massively efficient Land D is a horror to play against.  Used to play against a kid when I was a camp counselor who had bout 16 good land d spells (stone rain, sinkhole, etc), Black Vises, and some Black Knights for beats.  Was brutal, when you can drop a Vise, Dark Ritual a Sinkhole turn two, Stone Rain turn 3, terror/make you sac a creature you finally played, and the Vise is counting down your life.
schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: July 05, 2006, 07:43:04 PM

I used to run a green land destruction deck. Also ran Green/Black and Green/White AND Green/Red, but straight green always worked best. And ya, it was positively disgusting. I sort of miss the old days. Things were simpler back then.
agathon
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 07, 2006, 08:57:27 AM

The Ohran viper is like having a miniature Sosuke/Seshiro combo (without the pump effects). Kind of neat for 3 mana. Along with Coiling Oracle from Dissension, one of the cooler non-Kamigawa snakes.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 07, 2006, 03:42:36 PM

I suspect the viper will push snakes over the top to be the number 1 deck in tribal standard, at least till Kamigawa rotates out in september.

Something like...

4 STE
3 Leafcaller
3 Oracle
4 Viper
2 Springcaller
4 Sachii
1 Sosuke
3 Seshiro

(24 Snakes)

4 Sosuke's Summons
4 Time of Need
3 Jitte

3 UG *legendary* win conditions of your choice, probably including Meloku and Keiga.

4 Breeding Pool
4 Island
16 Forest

Probably need to add naturalises and boomerangs, possibly some giant growths according to the tribal meta that I know nothing about.

It's a damn shame that Oracle isn't also a shaman.

Driakos
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: July 08, 2006, 08:29:54 AM

....at least till Kamigawa rotates out in september.

Nooooo!

3/4ths of my online cards are Kamigawa.  I'll get lumped in with the extended folks in gen pop!

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 08, 2006, 12:29:51 PM

Extended in the casual room is more casual than standard, so I wouldn't worry too much.

agathon
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 12, 2006, 10:41:38 AM

I have a deck like that, eldaec (minus the coldsnap stuff, which is not online). Also a Tribal Extended UG deck that has both Orochi Eggwatcher and Day of the Dragons as win conditions (with a few doubling seasons and sosuke's summons it is a fun come-from behind deck).
agathon
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 12, 2006, 10:45:08 AM

I take that back. I don't use any Jittes and I don't have that many dual lands, just bounce lands.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 12, 2006, 10:10:56 PM

Nifty.
schild
Administrator

Reply #32 on: July 12, 2006, 10:15:25 PM

Jesus. I want the art from that. That's like Lovecraft goes blue.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: July 15, 2006, 04:53:42 AM

I take that back. I don't use any Jittes and I don't have that many dual lands, just bounce lands.

Turns out Jitte is banned in tribal anyway.

And if you are just looking for casual play - the 9th edition pain lands are practically as good as shock lands as well as being much much cheaper.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: July 15, 2006, 12:04:51 PM

Why is Jitte banned in tribal? Because tribal is more creature based and Jitte is anti-creature?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Coldsnap previews underway  
Jump to: