Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:58:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: For those who like tech support Horror stories 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: For those who like tech support Horror stories  (Read 3405 times)
Azhrarn
Terracotta Army

on: June 23, 2004, 06:45:20 PM

I came here to be drugged, electrocuted, and probed.  Not insulted! - H.S.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 02:07:22 AM

Ha ha. Well, not IMHO.

Tech support horror stories are about clueless USERS, not the other way around. This was just bad service it looks like.

I had 2 people today who did not know they needed a modem to get the internet. One of them did not know they needed a computer.

This was my first out of training day in my new helpdesk job. Forutnaly, both users knew they were clueless and accepted my help. I dreasd the call that WILL come where someone demands they don't know what the're talking about, and does not know it.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Azhrarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 02:42:30 AM

Quote from: Comstar
Tech support horror stories are about clueless USERS, not the other way around.
Well that's what makes it more fun to read. :)  For you, not for me.  My friend will probably end up paying for a restore (so he can then show them how it STILL doesn't work).

I came here to be drugged, electrocuted, and probed.  Not insulted! - H.S.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 11:02:13 PM

Speaking as a ex-Help Desk wage slave myself, I have to say that in general people who complain about tech support are either running into the exception to the norm or are in themselves clueless.

This particular issue is somewhat over my head, but I've dealt with supporting co-located servers before and have an inkling of what they're talking about.   Looks like the routing suddenly went kaput and the colo techs couldn't figure it out why.    It happens to the best of us, really, sometimes these crazy computers pull tricks that even highly trained professionals can't make heads or tails of.

My advice to Comstar on his new Help Desk job: Stress is your lead enemy to hold that position.   Once you start blowing your stack at customers, you are no longer a good face for your company.   Either plot to get promoted to a different position/another job before burnout sets in (the average is about 1 1/2 years) or build up some really powerful stress reduction techniques.   Here's a good article on that.   Funny thing to note is my previous place of work took steps *against* each suggestion on page 3 in the yellow.

Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 11:21:58 PM

Thanks for the link. The place isn't bad, and so far has allowed me to take the time to HELP the client, and not have to take 5 calls a minute.

Also, I've had 4 years exp as helpdesk, and after 2 weeks I'm already doing better than the majority of the people already there :). Promotion prospects are good :)

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 06:45:07 AM

If they won't promote you within the deparment, switch departments.  Help desk is as big a dead end job as QA.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 07:37:30 AM

Why are they working as tech support for a colo anyway, if the only thing they answer is "We can reboot your server, if you want", even though you told them 500 times that one of their border routers to the colo is down. Way to go.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 08:59:45 AM

Biggest problem with help desk or tech support is that most companies just do not respect the "profession" at all. Most companies view as the absolute least important part of their business. And while it may not be the most important part, IMO, it ranks at the very least in the middle of a list of priorities all businesses should have. Businesses that don't care about their support staff don't really care about their customers either.

That corporate disrespect translates into individual disrespect on the part of managers who have to deal with support. Which just adds to what is already a very stressful job as it is.

Anonymous

Email
Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 10:02:02 AM

Quote from: daveNYC
If they won't promote you within the deparment, switch departments.  Help desk is as big a dead end job as QA.

/weeps

But I like testing.  It's just no good as a career.  Dammit.
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004, 11:15:10 AM

Quote from: Soulflame
Quote from: daveNYC

/weeps

You aren't as burned out as I am.  Give it time.
Rof
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 25, 2004, 12:35:53 PM

Quote from: Soulflame

I seem to remember someone (Copper, maybe?)  saying testing and Q/A is a good route into a game industry job... unless you happen to be actually good at it, in which case you'll never get promoted, because good testers are so hard to find.

Formerly known as Ellenrof
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #11 on: June 25, 2004, 01:04:02 PM

If you are interested in San Antonio, give Rackspace a look over.  They are probably one of the few companies I know of that truly take care of their support and customer service employees.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: For those who like tech support Horror stories  
Jump to: