Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:11:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: EA Buys Mythic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EA Buys Mythic  (Read 85840 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #175 on: July 18, 2006, 08:23:39 AM

There are lots of queued games now? I thought that was the exception (and mostly WoW being too popular). SOE, if you forget the SWG team, is pretty strong. Planetside (will we EVER see another MMOFPS with as much FPS as PS?), EQ (the new M59), and especially EQ2 which has really improved to the point where it's actually enjoyable to play for the most part. Turbine was good with Asheron's Call, and DDO didn't seem to bad.
Every company for every game we're playing instead of DAoC.
All MMO companies are incompetent? :) Gogo Bethesda!

WoW has 6.5 million people in queues. Often. SOE... you cannot separate the SWG and EQ1 fuckups. It wasn't until the last oh year or two that SOE got EQ1 to patch right without shitting itself, and every expansion had broken, non-itemized content. EQ2 and PS teams were really the only competent ones, and it took almost a year for the EQ2 team to get that way. Let's not forget the 48 hours of downtime EQ2 had shortly after release.

Turbine had Asheron's Call 2. Nuff said.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #176 on: July 18, 2006, 11:13:56 AM

Huxley. I'll believe it when I see it delivered, eh?

Hammy: you're reaching :)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #177 on: July 18, 2006, 12:02:27 PM

Not really. SOE still has years of pent-up fuckupery just some SWG alone.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #178 on: July 18, 2006, 03:55:58 PM

Pssst. Sky.

Huxley, duder. Is that even on your radar?

*looks at sig*

You know it would have been better if you had just told Sky to "be more like Hoax".

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #179 on: July 18, 2006, 05:02:22 PM

Dude, Chronicles of Spellborn? I don't know if he should be more LIKE you, but a little like you. Ok. :P
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #180 on: July 18, 2006, 05:24:47 PM

Dude!!  That combat system is fucking <3  and you know it.  As a preacher of the gospel of more interesting more MtG-style combat systems you should appreciate me reaching on that one.  Even if it will prob end up looking like ass, and playing like buggy ass to boot.  Which is a set of assumptions that ignore the fact that it has approximately a 10% chance of releasing at all...

Well, it is still worth it for combat that doesn't suck my ass and adds skill without necessarily just adding speed.  Hell half the old farts around here should appreciate that sort of development, what with their whines about how twitchy EvE is.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #181 on: July 18, 2006, 05:36:19 PM

I like the mechanics in there. But you know me... and hope. Hope is a good thing. Perhaps the best of things. But it's not grounded in reality.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: July 19, 2006, 06:29:21 AM

I can't be like Hoax. My radar has been horribly mangled by years of the hype machine and undelivered promises.

Though I do admit to having Spore fever. WW's going to have to work long hours to fuck that one up. That's EA, right? You pretty much can't boycott EA imo. See, I tried to sorta rerail.
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: July 19, 2006, 06:33:28 AM

I think Spore is getting a bit on the outside as far as how long it can be in development and not start to raise warnings of vaporware.  I don't see Wright turning anything into a DNF fiasco, but the game has been hyped a good bit for a while.  Getting to be time to show the goods.

But yeah, I'm really looking forward to it too.  I don't really know why because none of his stuff is really much of a game as a sandbox, but it's fun anyway.  Legos for grownups I guess.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
WindiaN
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: July 19, 2006, 08:14:43 AM

the player content integration is going to make or break spore, i just wish someone would use that concept to make MMO's less developer dependent post-launch(particularly PVE ones)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #185 on: July 19, 2006, 09:17:38 AM

Hell half the old farts around here should appreciate that sort of development, what with their whines about how twitchy EvE is.

Eve is twitchy like rigor mortis is twitchy. What the fuck are you talking about? Or are you just bounding the sarchasm?

Spore? I think Spore will be like the Sims, either you like it or you just can't get into it. But it will come out. EA only cancels MMOG's in development.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: July 19, 2006, 09:55:28 AM

A sciency version of the Sims, rather than a Desperate Housewives version imo. And I love Sandboxy!

Roac, there has been definite progress shown all along. It's a far cry (heh) from DNF, because DNF is a goddamned shooter. Add in some Duke-isms, and it's a fun game, like Duke3d was. I have no idea what Daikatana delusionality has gripped Broussard. Anyway. The initial tough part of Spore was simply figuring out how to model a metric shitton of cool stuff, they got really out of hand working on Wright's (great) ideas. Then once they got that stuff up and running in the same space (no mean feat), they had to figure out what was good for gameplay and actually make a game out of it (where Black & White fell down imo). While all that is tough for any game, the sheer scope of Spore has been making it pretty tough.

I really didn't want to go fanboi on an unreleased game, but the movies and interviews I've seen have me pretty worked up. Being a science geek when I was a kid certainly isn't hurting.

I wonder if they're going to have an Import feature for manual importation (it auto-imports stuff from the central server to fill out the world). We could have an f13 Spore thread and then while searching the massive galaxy (hopefully that doesn't get shrunk down to much before launch!), we can find and bomb...I mean meet each other's species.

It's just a great concept that I'm just jaded enough to have to hope will make it into a great game.

/tucks in his fanboi
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: July 19, 2006, 10:41:46 AM

I've liked every game that Will Wright has ever been involved in so far, so I don't think that that my confidence that I'll like Spore is misplaced or makes me a deluded fanboy. :)
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #188 on: July 19, 2006, 11:13:30 AM

From what I've read, the Friend feature in Spore will allow you to preferentially populate your Spore-verse with your friends' content if you so desire, which would eliminate the need for a massive SETI hunt for other F13ers' content.

Anyway, I try not to think about Spore too much, since it's still at least 9 months from launch and the more I think about it the more I jones for it.

Damn you all. Now I'm thinking about Spore. :(
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: July 19, 2006, 12:16:44 PM

Blame Discover magazine. I had officially stopped thinking about Spore (again) after the last E3 demo.

I fully support "When it's done"...but it's tough. Honestly, though, I'd rather wait another year and have more features put back in (like autochemical reactions and interstellar gas interaction mentioned in the article).
WindiaN
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: July 19, 2006, 12:37:40 PM

Blame Discover magazine. I had officially stopped thinking about Spore (again) after the last E3 demo.

I fully support "When it's done"...but it's tough. Honestly, though, I'd rather wait another year and have more features put back in (like autochemical reactions and interstellar gas interaction mentioned in the article).

Discover magazine is what got me too, Einstein caught my attention and I was not at all expecting to see Sport/Will Wright on the cover.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #191 on: July 19, 2006, 12:39:31 PM

He got the cover of Wired awhile back as well.

-William Gibson
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: July 19, 2006, 12:48:01 PM

Arg, the Discover cover pissed me off. Milgrom got robbed, the article is about his MOND theory but Einstein gets the goddamned cover. Blah.

The Wired piece was fluffy garbage imo.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #193 on: July 24, 2006, 01:32:30 AM

Source
TUESDAY JULY 25

Games Workshop Group PLC revealed in January a slump in first-half earnings and warned full-year results would fall short of market expectations.

The company blamed the decline on falling demand for games relating to the 'Lord of the Rings' film trilogy.

Trailers of forthcoming Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 computer games were previewed at E3 recently. Should the games be of a similar quality to the trailers, Altium's David O,Brien anticipates that they will be huge sellers. Unfortunately, the company will only receive royalties from its licensed IP, he pointed out.

Meanwhile, O'Brien pitches for year to May 2006 pretax profits of just 2.0 mln stg, down from 13.9 mln, for EPS of 4.6 pence against 29.2. Despite this, the analyst reckons the payout will be held at an uncovered 19.0 pence.

Ignoring for a moment the stupidity of judging a game based on a cgi movie, the royalties comment is interesting.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 01:40:07 AM by Arthur_Parker »
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: July 24, 2006, 01:50:33 PM

Why doesn't EA just buy Games Workshop?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: EA Buys Mythic  
Jump to: