Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:37:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: EA Buys Mythic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EA Buys Mythic  (Read 85842 times)
ForumBot 0.8 beta
Terracotta Army

on: June 20, 2006, 03:36:36 PM

EA Buys Mythic

Simond has revealed news that we've known for a while now, but never spoke of simply because we were in shock and awe. Ok, not really in shock and awe. It was more like a state of totally not caring. We liked Mythic, sure, but we don't particularly care for EA. To summarize, Meh.

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 20, 2006--Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS - News) today announced that it has entered into an agreement to acquire Virginia-based Mythic Entertainment®. Upon completion of the acquisition, Mythic Entertainment will become EA Mythic, a wholly-owned studio dedicated to developing Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games (MMORPGs). Mythic is recognized worldwide for revolutionizing the online gaming space with the award-winning Dark Age of Camelot® and is currently developing Warhammer® Online: Age of Reckoning(TM) under license agreement with Games Workshop.

The acquisition is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approvals, and is expected to close during EA's second quarter of fiscal 2007. Financial terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

Upon completion of the acquisition, Mark Jacobs, the President, Chief Executive Officer and co-founder of Mythic, will become Vice President, General Manager of EA Mythic. Rob Denton, the Vice President, Chief Operating Officer and co-founder of Mythic will assume the role of Vice President, Chief Operating Officer of EA Mythic. Mythic's 175-person development team will remain in Fairfax, Virginia.

[source]
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 03:45:23 PM

Couple of quotes from Mark Jacobs

Quote from: Mark Jacobs
As you can imagine, it's been a rather interesting few weeks at Mythic. I promise to post a much longer letter here but the rest of the day is filled with interviews and questions and then I fly out for a few days with the folks at EA. I'll try to find time to post here during that time but if I can't, I will do so upon my return.

As always, there is nothing wrong with being skeptical, worried or cynical (traits that are near and dear to my heart) but we will prove over the next 15 months why we deserved your trust and faith from the beginning.

WAR is still coming and nothing will change, except for the better and nothing will stop that.

I'll leave you will one final bit, we didn't need to do this deal, we chose to do this deal because of what it meant to Mythic today and to our company going forward. It was a grand slam home run.

Hey, I'm between interviews so I want to make a few other things clear:

1) There are no changes in Mythic's personnel as part of this deal, none. I'm still heading up EA Mythic but with a different title, that's all. Many companies have tried to buy Mythic over the last 2 years and all of them started the discussions with "If the founders aren't going to stay, we are not interested." Frankly, you couldn't get me out of Mythic with a crowbar.

2) GW has fully blessed this agreement. They are excited about the possibilities for Warhammer going forward.

3) EA, like every other publisher in the industry, has had its ups and downs with developer acquisitions. As a long-standing developer, I know most of the key people at all the companies that have been acquired by EA as well as other companies. The key for Mythic going forward is no different with EA than it was as an independent, if we do a great job everything will be great. If we don't, well, we will have no one to blame but ourselves. That is no different than it is for us as part of EA or on our own.

I'm currently not a happy bunny.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 03:46:11 PM

I'll leave you will one final bit, we didn't need to do this deal, we chose to do this deal because of what it meant to Mythic today and to our company going forward. It was a grand slam home run.

Mark Jacobs is a lollercoaster. Sig material right there.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 03:51:49 PM

I'm glad Lum left Mythic. Otherwise I'd be flaming him here. And then he's rant me a new arsehole, and I'd feel touched in that special place that itches. Ok, enough. Does Sanya still work for them?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 03:52:51 PM

Speechless.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 03:53:34 PM

Does Sanya still work for them?

She has stated that nothing will change for her on a few forums.  I'll see if I can add a link later.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 03:57:02 PM

Quote from Sanya

Quote from: Sanya
What do we get out of it? The deal only got signed two hours ago! I haven't seen the pie charts! But off the top of my head, they have marketing budgets that we do not. Nearly our entire budget is focused on development. I'll bet there's a lot more that will be announced in the coming months, but you're talking to the web weenie - I have zilch for authority here.

Games Workshop has final say over everything still. That has not changed.

Can any Brits come in here and vouch for me that the English do not give a warm cup of hell about American companies and how great said companies might think they are? I suspect GW is utterly unimpressed with EA's money or clout, and they are entirely focused on us taking good care of THEIR license.

EA won't be hanging in forums. That's the job of my team  smiley

EA & GW in the same bed, it is a toss up as to who will end up sore in the morning.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 03:59:42 PM by Arthur_Parker »
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 04:04:57 PM

My thread title was better.  0.0 DPS

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 04:06:20 PM

I take ONE afternoon off from teh interweb and this happens

prediction: buffbots are back in
Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 04:10:55 PM

Thank you EA, I was on the verge of becoming a fanboi for a mmorpg in development.  Your acquitition has effectively killed off that tempting feeling.  Kudos to you, happy to be jaded again  evil
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 04:22:21 PM

Man, and WHO was actually looking interesting to me. Oh well. Let the sadpandary commence. Sad Panda
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 04:23:06 PM

Thank you EA, I was on the verge of becoming a fanboi for a mmorpg in development.  Your acquitition has effectively killed off that tempting feeling.  Kudos to you, happy to be jaded again  evil

Zet, you need to change your avatard to Vin Diesel. 

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 05:05:04 PM

EA, like every other publisher in the industry, has had its ups and downs with developer acquisitions.

Someone remind me of the ups. 

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 05:15:53 PM

Good-bye, Warhammer Online!  I barely knew you!

PS  I like this one a lot, for some reason.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 05:16:23 PM

Lum dodged a bullet. Nicely done.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 05:18:23 PM

I predict that UO will take the long walk sooner rather than later, my feeling being that it's survived for so long partly because EA could never get another MMO off the ground.  Oh well, my UO friends will never believe my doomsaying, so I guess I'm in until the lights go out.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 05:20:27 PM

Wasn't UO originally designed to last 3, 4 years tops?  Just curious.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 05:30:30 PM

Speechless.

Yup. I would call $100 million* a grand slam too.

* number pulled from my guesstimating cornhole.

I have never played WoW.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 05:36:33 PM

Two mmos going to publishers folks despise within a few months.   Very amusing in that dark, twisted way I enjoy my humor.  I suppose only time will tell if this truly kills off the fanbase for both games.  I suspect Vanguard was hurt more than WAR, simply because I don't believe most of the WAR fanbois really know about EA's history the way Vanbois know about SOE's.

As for Mark.. even if that quote is true NOW, that doesn't mean it will be the case in even 2 years.  My last company learned that the hard way as it was slowly dissassembled and left a husk of what it once was.. all the while maintaining their contract to not actually destroy the company.  Public Corps are whole worlds different, and it'll be sad to watch Mythic fall victim to the vampire of EA.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 20, 2006, 05:49:28 PM

Fuuuuuuck.... :(

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Driakos
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 20, 2006, 06:06:38 PM

Wasn't UO originally designed to last 3, 4 years tops?  Just curious.

I believe it was six months.

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #21 on: June 20, 2006, 06:08:08 PM

This part is my favorite:

"Mythic has always been a leading independent developer in the online space," says Mark Jacobs, CEO and co-founder of Mythic Entertainment. "EA's commitment to the online market as well as its focus on creating games of unsurpassed quality, scope and scale gives us opportunities and resources we could only dream about in the past."

Words fail to describe how off the mark he is. And you know he knows it too.
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #22 on: June 20, 2006, 06:19:39 PM

EA, like every other publisher in the industry, has had its ups and downs with developer acquisitions.

Tiburon has done welll.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 06:21:39 PM by Lum »
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #23 on: June 20, 2006, 06:26:36 PM

lol, madden

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #24 on: June 20, 2006, 06:48:14 PM

I wonder if EA prefers jelly or syrup.
schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: June 20, 2006, 06:49:42 PM

Blood of the innocent.
Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 20, 2006, 07:23:49 PM

Zet, you need to change your avatard to Vin Diesel. 

Ok, I'll be sure to do that once I get home... if I am sober enough for it, Dallas playing tonight.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 20, 2006, 07:26:15 PM

Your timing is impeccable, Lum   :-D
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #28 on: June 20, 2006, 08:25:35 PM

EA has made buttloads of money, which is what companies are supposed to do for their stockholders.

Mind you, I keep picturing the cover to Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here when I think of this deal... but not calling them before launch applies to the possibility of success as much as failure.  Still, this does feel like duja vu all over again.

That was my initial reaction.  My second reaction is that whether or not this will work is not really the most interesting question we could ask.  More interesting is the question, what would you like to happen and why?  If you could wave a magic wand, how would you like this to play out?

Here is my answer to that.  I'd like this to succeed, despite the fact that I think it an unlikely outcome.  My preference is based on several points.  I'd like to see a good rendering of the Warhammer settings and mythologies.  I'd like to see Mythic continue to thrive as a company and a creative entity.  And I'd like MMOs to have another success close behind the success of WoW, to keep the momentum of the form moving forward.    I'd even be willing to see EA make money if these things happened, particularly since I suspect that EA will make money even if these things don't happen.

What do you want to happen?

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: June 20, 2006, 08:30:47 PM

I think the most important thing that could happen is... wait - does anybody care?

Other notable stupid relationships include:
Mutable Realms and whoever funded them
Themis and IGE
David Bowman and David Allen
Grimwell and Gamergod (what can I say, it was a bad idea)
Those Gizmondo Guys and Everybody
Starforce & UbiSoft

I'm sure I can think of more, but really, at the end of the day does anybody care?

Once someone joins EA, they're dead in my book. It's a shame, I liked a lot of the people at Mythic and I know this came down to the choice of a couple individuals. But Mythic is now dead to me. I wouldn't let the people in f13.house buy Battlefield 2 or any other EA game and this now applies to Mythic. It's just how it has to be. I can't make the point otherwise. Vote with your wallet, whathaveyou. Yea, it's sad, but they've no one to blame but themselves. EA is on the same level as the Starforce people in my book.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #30 on: June 20, 2006, 08:40:25 PM

I think the most important thing that could happen is... wait - does anybody care?

Other notable stupid relationships include:
Mutable Realms and whoever funded them
Themis and IGE
David Bowman and David Allen
Grimwell and Gamergod (what can I say, it was a bad idea)
Those Gizmondo Guys and Everybody
Starforce & UbiSoft

I'm sure I can think of more, but really, at the end of the day does anybody care?

Once someone joins EA, they're dead in my book. It's a shame, I liked a lot of the people at Mythic and I know this came down to the choice of a couple individuals. But Mythic is now dead to me. I wouldn't let the people in f13.house buy Battlefield 2 or any other EA game and this now applies to Mythic. It's just how it has to be. I can't make the point otherwise. Vote with your wallet, whathaveyou. Yea, it's sad, but they've no one to blame but themselves. EA is on the same level as the Starforce people in my book.

But Ultima has a forum?

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #31 on: June 20, 2006, 08:41:06 PM

I believe it was six months.

This was a serious question.  As a business decision it was only designed to last x amount of time.

schild
Administrator

Reply #32 on: June 20, 2006, 08:50:07 PM

But Ultima has a forum?

Blame yourself, gringo.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #33 on: June 20, 2006, 09:02:09 PM

But Ultima has a forum?

Blame yourself, gringo.

Damn you and your spanish lingo.  You make the idea of Arizona displeasing!  A simple remark about metro being an indepent woulda sufficed.  Sheesh.  Fucking kids these days. 

schild
Administrator

Reply #34 on: June 20, 2006, 09:05:35 PM

Metro who? What?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: EA Buys Mythic  
Jump to: