Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:08:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: EA UO to use Punkbuster 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EA UO to use Punkbuster  (Read 3950 times)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

on: June 20, 2006, 11:11:43 AM

Dude, this is so much a better business decision than just training our GM staff to ban people they see mining for 8 days straight!

I predict a disruption in scripting of a month or two, tops.  This isn't some FPS, the scripty Ebay whorse have money to make.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 11:39:04 AM

Man… 1st they do Trammel.  Now they do this.  They are doing more and more stupid shit to UO.  Hooray to EA  rolleyes    Damn am I glad I don't play on their servers.

Chinchila - LaRoche Server, APB
Drahcir - 50 Captain/GM Weaponsmith, LoTRO Silverlode (Retired)
St Drahcir - 7xMage, UO Chesapeake (Retired)
Chinchilla Dakilla - Barbarian R50, Shadowbane (Retired)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 03:31:10 AM

I don't really object to the idea in theory, it's just that it seems like someone said "Hey, it's cheaper than hiring more GMs!"

Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 11:39:26 AM

I was reading the stratics forums.  People are PISSED.  Apparently it can log your conversations, take screenshots of what you are doing ingame, and other stuff.  Welp... maybe some of these ppl will come to Metro hehehehe.

Chinchila - LaRoche Server, APB
Drahcir - 50 Captain/GM Weaponsmith, LoTRO Silverlode (Retired)
St Drahcir - 7xMage, UO Chesapeake (Retired)
Chinchilla Dakilla - Barbarian R50, Shadowbane (Retired)
Driakos
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 09:18:20 PM

I don't really object to the idea in theory, it's just that it seems like someone said "Hey, it's cheaper than hiring more GMs!"

More GM's doesn't fix the scripter problem.  Tools that allow CSRs to identify illegal programs would be more valuable.  If you contact the accused bot in-game, and they are able to respond every time, not much you can do to them.  Unless of course you can identify what they are using.

Some of the top dog farmers can respond through the UO client using their cellphone.  Program detects a GM, contacts farmer HQ, farmer commander replies via text message from his cellphone.  If the GM starts asking random questions like "What color is this lantern" to catch the bot, they call farmer emergency center, and 12 year old Paktong rushes to station 32A and answers the question.

Usually goes like:

GM: Hello, are you there?

GM: Hello? Can you see my text Aaaa?

Aaaa:  99999999999999999oh hi

GM: You have quite a scheduled routine there.  Very precise.  You do this by hand?

Aaaa: i love mining! this cunts as reply yes ok? lol

GM: Can you tell me what color the lantern I am holding is?

Aaaa: pls wait i am phone call

Aaaa: Hello

GM: Can you tell me what color the lantern I am holding is?

Aaaa: Blue

Aaaa: Why am I in jail?  I pay.  You are harassing me.  I demand to speak to a supervisor.  Just let me play.  You bother me all day even though I follow the rules and am always attended and able to respond to your questions.  Let me speak to Larry. Show me where in the rules it says that I cannot play more than 23 hours a day.  This is a scam I was promised to play in a friendly environment with access to the game at any time during my subscription period, provided I follow the rules. I will contact the BBB immediately about this ongoing harassment.  I have <exaggerated number of accounts> and have been playing for <exaggerated number of years> including <alpha beta gamma friends & family stress test GenCon PlayerMeetupX I know random executive VP irl> how can you treat me like this! Maybe I will just tell my <extremely exaggerated number of friends> and <fabricated guildmates> to never play your MMO again.

GM: Thank you for replying.

Aaaa: Fuck you now put me back wage slave.

GM: Farewell.

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 10:31:34 PM

How about...

GM:  You know what?  You've been mining 24/7 since last February.  I'm not a fucking idiot.  Banz0r.

Aaaaa:  But me reply!

GM:  Read the EULA bitch!  We can ban you anytime we like!

If they had at least nailed some of the most OUTRAGEOUSLY obvious offenders this way, I would at least feel like they tried.  That said, I don't really mind PB, it just... bleh.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: EA UO to use Punkbuster  
Jump to: