Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:39:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Women cry foul at Wal-mart 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Women cry foul at Wal-mart  (Read 8092 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

on: June 22, 2004, 08:46:44 AM

Sam Walton can't keep his Ho's in line

Interesting because it is reportedly the largest civil rights class action suit in the history of the US, 1.6 million women employees have taken action against the Wal-mart corporation for discrimination against females in their hiring practices. Supposedly, male managers and higher level employees were favored much more than women applicants for the same job. Wal-mart claims applications by men were higher than women, and therefore that explains the dispersement.

If Wal-mart is telling the truth, it should be easy to prove that more men were applying to jobs than women, but it would have to be a lot more than just a small percentage. If the women can establish a clear cut pattern in hiring statistics or internal company memos that have yet to surface, it could cost Wal-mart millions in settlement cash. I personally found it interesting that they could get so many women upset with the company as 1.6M is a metropolis of pissed off ladies.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 08:50:21 AM

I'm interested in seeing the actual details the women got together to prove this. Most of the Wal-Mart's I've been to seemingly have a lot more women working than men. It may also be interesting to see the management spread. I mean if there were many, many women who were qualified for management position but at least ONE man who was more qualified, it would account for the theoretical bias towards men.

I have a feeling these women are trying to call shennanigans and are going to get their ass handed to them.

EDIT: To add, I would wager that 99% of those women aren't even qualified for upper management jobs. That many women? It really sounds like a ploy to fuck Wal-Mart and get some cash - much like suing McDonalds. kkthxdrvthru
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 08:59:46 AM

You're misreading it. It isn't that 1.6 Million women who work for Wal-Mart have filed a suit. 6 women have filed suit, and their lawyers made and won a motion to turn it into a class action law suit. That means that 1.6 million women who work at Wal-Mart are ELIGIBLE to attach their name to the suit, and those who attach their names to it will be eligible for part of whatever judgement or settlement is made.

I would tend to believe Wal-Mart engages in some discriminatory practices, if only because Wal-Mart tends as a corporation not to give one shit about anything but maximum profits through minimum costs, whether those costs be worker pay, benefits, or sweat shop slave labor in Myanmar.

daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 09:01:00 AM

They didn't limit it to upper management, it's likely that they are talking about scrub management positions like 'shift supervisor' or some crap.  It should be easy to prove or disprove a disparity in the percentage of female floor workers compared to the percentage of female management type, however showing that it's not due to the make up of the applicants will be tough as I imagine that Wal-Mart probably trashes applications of those who aren't hired.
WayAbvPar

Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 09:01:01 AM

Just don't put boobies in your game or cuss in your newfangled rap song if you want Wal-Mart to sell it.

I hope the lawsuit bankrupts them.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 09:01:43 AM

Quote from: WayAbvPar
I hope the lawsuit bankrupts them.

Agreed. Goddamn, I hate Wal-Mart.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 09:07:26 AM

I dislike Wal-Mart as well, but in this nation of "equal" opportunity, it is fast becoming the case where a white male has the hardest time finding a job. I have no statistics to back that up, though. Just griping in general. I'm gainfully employed, thank goodness.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 09:16:56 AM

That reminds me of a funny joke on Spin City.

Stewart: "In this day and age who's looking out for the middle-aged white man?"

Carter: "Congress."

Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004, 09:31:21 AM

On the bright side, WalMart is still a great opportunity for pudgy 65-year old chicks who like to stand by automatic doors and greet strangers.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 09:52:21 AM

I think the greeter position was created simply to hire retards, senior citizens, handicapped people and the freak quotient that we all know exists but are too freaked out to look at otherwise.

Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #10 on: June 22, 2004, 10:30:29 AM

I think I'm the only person I know of who actually likes Wal-Mart.  I don't really see where all the animosity comes from...  I hear people's complaints about this or that, and I think, "Um, that just sounds like good business practice?"  Then again, I've already stated views that show me as being very conservative and pro-capitalism, which puts me in the minority here at f13.net, which might explain it.

As far as this lawsuit goes, it depends on how well Wal-Mart keeps records of its applicants and hiring process.  Disparity in the male/female ratio in various levels of the company proves nothing, unless you get a Liberal judge.   Wonder where the case is being tried...  Hopefully they can manage to avoid the 9th Circus Court in the appeals process.

Edit: Read the article.
U.S. District Court Judge Martin Jenkins in San Francisco

Oh well.  At least this nonsense is unlikely to hurt Wal-Mart financially...  Article says they could easily soak up to $10 billion in settlement fines.

if Wal-Mart does not meet certain diversity goals.

Because, you know, having pale skin and/or a penis makes you obviously less qualified to do anything.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #11 on: June 22, 2004, 10:44:55 AM

I happen to like Wal-mart and I'm a fan of capitalism, conservatism, blah blah blah. Still, Wal-mart's commercials crack me up. I saw one where it was a good looking northeasterner family walking around Wal-mart with the other white folks, buying groceries and handing them to smiling happy children. I was thinking, wow, I've NEVER seen that in a Wal-mart.

The real commercial would be the 25 year old Hispanic mother of five pushing a cart around with a baby in it and three more in tow. The last kid is either screaming/crying or grabbing random stuff off the shelves. Then she's yelling at the other kids in spanish to SILENCIO when they start to chant for candy.

Either that or the redneck couple with the guy in a Ford racing mesh cap, jean cutoffs, and a shirt with a deer head on it. The wife would outweigh the husband by about a buck twenty and be wearing spandex pants and a shirt that wouldn't quite beat the buldge, with no bra of course. They would be shopping for clothes that he could cut the sleeves off of and something that she could wear to emphasize that oh so non-girlish figure she proudly displays.

Come on Wal-mart at least target your demographic.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12 on: June 22, 2004, 11:47:31 AM

There's a reason odd people get the people greeter job, beyond the obvious. It's right next to the door, the next move is out the door :) At least that's what I told people I demoted to that boring job. Most people greeters in my area (upstate ny) don't actually greet people, they are more like surly cart attendants.

That said, the only failing I can lay at the feet of walmart's hiring/advancement practices is really promoting asskissing morons, and that was not biased by gender.

We had tons of women working with us, they made the same wages we made, I had women peers in lower management, and there were women in every strata of employment I was exposed to. To make it class action is retarded imo. The same goes for minorities.

Hell, I used to try to get /more/ females hired, because I like looking at women while I work, not sweaty guys :)

Note I hate walmart with a passion, but this case stinks.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 22, 2004, 12:05:14 PM

We call our local greeters, "door nazis".  All they do here is rudely grab your cart on the way out and hold out their hand.  Eventually, if you do not understand their sign language they will grunt out "receipt".  Which they will then agonizingly slowly look at while circling random items.  This blocks everyone else from entering or leaving through those doors.

The checkouts and door nazis are the worst part of Wallmart in my opinion.  Oh, and they have the most utterly pointless self checkouts I have ever seen here.  Each one still has a clerk on it all the time watching you with an eagle eye so you don't steal that snickers bar.  What the fuck is the point?
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #14 on: June 22, 2004, 01:19:35 PM

Apparently the self checkout clerk is there for the sole purpose of hassling me about my ID when I try and buy booze. Yeah I look like I'm 18 and yeah I'm buying cheap wine that hobos like to drink, but cut me some freaking slack Habib.

schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: June 22, 2004, 01:24:55 PM

Quote from: HaemishM
I think WalMart was created simply to hire retards, senior citizens, handicapped people and the freak quotient that we all know exists but are too freaked out to look at otherwise.

Fixed.
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 22, 2004, 01:30:00 PM

Wiiiiii!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #17 on: June 22, 2004, 01:32:06 PM

Heh. When they try to stop me to check my receipt on the way out, I tell them to call the cops and security and get ready for a lawsuit when they don't find any stolen merchandise on me. I call it harassment, I just gave you my business and you accuse me of stealing? Riiight.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #18 on: June 22, 2004, 01:38:14 PM

Quote from: Alkiera
I think I'm the only person I know of who actually likes Wal-Mart.  I don't really see where all the animosity comes from...  I hear people's complaints about this or that, and I think, "Um, that just sounds like good business practice?"  Then again, I've already stated views that show me as being very conservative and pro-capitalism, which puts me in the minority here at f13.net, which might explain it.

I routinely shop at Wal-Mart because their groceries are cheaper than everywhere else. I am also a big fan of something we don't see much in America, RESPONSIBLE capitalism.

Wal-Mart displays the most flagrant, cynical, downright nasty form of irresponsible capitalism that I know. Or at least, it has since Sam Walton died, though I'm sure it wasn't his kids who came up with some of this shit.

1) Selling an entire line of products that are marked "Made in America," as well as promoting your company and this product line as American-made and American-centric (for that patriotic flavor), while actually buying cheap, shitty goods made in third world countries for pennies on the dollar.
2) Buying life insurance policies on elderly employees in which Wal-Mart is the beneficiary without the employees knowledge.
3) Driving out smaller businesses in the community with deliberate underpricing

And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head. This is coming from a consumer of Wal-Mart goods.

If I could afford not to shop there I would. And since they are building a Target with grocery capabilities closer to my apartment than the Wal-Mart, I will be moving my shopping habits.

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 22, 2004, 06:26:04 PM

If I could afford not to shop there I would. And since they are building a Target with grocery capabilities closer to my apartment than the Wal-Mart, I will be moving my shopping habits.

That reminds me of a joke I heard today:

Iraqi citizen: "Yeah, we used to have Wal-Mart stores all over the place, but now there's a Target on every street corner."

/rimshot

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuu. I'm here all week.

"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: June 22, 2004, 06:36:51 PM

Quote from: Soukyan
That reminds me of a joke I heard today:

Iraqi citizen: "Yeah, we used to have Wal-Mart stores all over the place, but now there's a Target on every street corner."

/rimshot

u suq.
Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 23, 2004, 01:50:34 AM

I recently had a few beers with the European head of consumer products for one of the worlds largest manufaturers of computers/printers/cameras (US/global company).
Before returning to Europe he lead the US sales department. He told how evrytime he dealt with Walmart, he'd have to go to their corporate offices in some backwater small town, sit on a bench with all the other sales reps and wait until his number was called - "The 10.30 appointment leaves now, would the 11.00 appointment step forward".
A few times the meetings would go a bit over the appointed time - he was afterall making deals for millions of dollars - but no nice lunch meetings, no flashy looking offices - just naked walls and quiet efficiency.

I think Sam Walton learned his brand of capitalism from Chairman Mao.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 23, 2004, 06:06:16 AM

It's also a subtle way of saying "You're our bitch."  No special treatment implies that you can be replaced at any time.
DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #23 on: June 23, 2004, 07:38:31 AM

Quote from: Hanzii
I recently had a few beers with the European head of consumer products for one of the worlds largest manufaturers of computers/printers/cameras (US/global company).
Before returning to Europe he lead the US sales department. He told how evrytime he dealt with Walmart, he'd have to go to their corporate offices in some backwater small town, sit on a bench with all the other sales reps and wait until his number was called - "The 10.30 appointment leaves now, would the 11.00 appointment step forward".
A few times the meetings would go a bit over the appointed time - he was afterall making deals for millions of dollars - but no nice lunch meetings, no flashy looking offices - just naked walls and quiet efficiency.

I think Sam Walton learned his brand of capitalism from Chairman Mao.

As much as I despise Wal Mart this is called reducing overhead and efficiency. God forbid any business latch on to those ideas....

BWL is funny tho.  It's like watching a Special Needs school take a field trip to a minefield.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #24 on: June 23, 2004, 08:30:59 AM

That backwater town was probably somewhere in Arkansas. I'd imagine he was about a "stone's throw" from places with no running water and dental hygiene comparable to the Land of the Lost.

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 23, 2004, 09:30:07 AM

That backwater town was probably somewhere in Arkansas.

I believe the town is called Hope. (Yes, I bought Bill Clinton's new autobiography ;)

Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 23, 2004, 10:23:11 AM

I seriously doubt that the hiring process includes any kind of "minimum skills" evaluation when the question "So can I see a valid ID?" doesn't appear to be part of the process.

unbannable
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 23, 2004, 10:23:54 AM

Quote from: Soukyan
That backwater town was probably somewhere in Arkansas.

I believe the town is called Hope. (Yes, I bought Bill Clinton's new autobiography ;)

For purchasing that book, your citizenship in Hope is revoked. There is none for you.

unbannable
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 23, 2004, 12:07:47 PM

Actually I don't even think valid ID is a requirement after all the illegal alien workers they got caught with. More likely do you have an ID that would pass as valid to a supervisor who needs to hire somebody now and just dosn't really care test.

Kaid
Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 23, 2004, 03:19:47 PM

Quote from: DarkDryad

As much as I despise Wal Mart this is called reducing overhead and efficiency. God forbid any business latch on to those ideas....

Yes, and there's a lot more ways to reduce overhead and be efficient - a lot of them are illegal in the civilized world which is why your shoes, shirts and electronics are being manufactured in China.

And I didn't say it was wrong - I was merely amused at the lengths this company would go. Most others seem to think that being nice to business partners will take your further.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 24, 2004, 03:53:37 AM

Quote from: kaid
Actually I don't even think valid ID is a requirement after all the illegal alien workers they got caught with. More likely do you have an ID that would pass as valid to a supervisor who needs to hire somebody now and just dosn't really care test.

Kaid

please stop explaining my jokes.

unbannable
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 24, 2004, 11:28:53 PM

It is possible to treat you're employees NICLEY and still be cheap. It is harder. It's not as easy as treating them as crap and then demanding high levels of respect back.

Walmart, from what I have read, does not respect it's workers. The feeling seems to be mutuel.

I hope they crash, burn and are drawn and quatered and replaced by someone who does.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 24, 2004, 11:38:26 PM

The only person I know who's actually worked at Wal-Mart, was there as a second job.  He finally quit because they were paying him too much money, and he didn't want to leave his chosen tax bracket.  While admittedly male, he is black, and Jamaican, so he has an interesting accent.  He seemed pretty happy with Wal-Mart as an employer.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 25, 2004, 06:23:32 AM

That was a joke, right?

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 25, 2004, 09:03:55 AM

As far as I can tell, no.
Frankly, I don't see the benefits of 'staying in your tax bracket' until you're making considerably more than $40k / year, but he seems to think it's important.  While generally, the more money you make, the greater percentage of that money the government asks for, you still end up with more money in the long run, just not as much more.

Eh, people will think what they want.  But he said he enjoyed working at Wal-Mart, really.

--
Alkiera

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Women cry foul at Wal-mart  
Jump to: