Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:40:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Civil War 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Civil War  (Read 87821 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #315 on: March 09, 2007, 09:40:54 AM

Yeah, you know Cap will be back in some way. And based on who has been in charge of Marvel Editorial, it'll be dumb as two bags of hammers.

Also, that article reminds me why I hate Slate.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: March 09, 2007, 10:52:49 AM

Did I read that right that there is a 5 part series coming out on his death?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #317 on: March 09, 2007, 12:59:53 PM

I think they were saying that Civil War was a 5-part series, when really it was a 7-parter, but maybe Marvel has found a way to squeeze another 5-parter out of total shit.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #318 on: March 09, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

I think they were saying that Civil War was a 5-part series, when really it was a 7-parter, but maybe Marvel has found a way to squeeze another 5-parter out of total shit.

No it's actually a five part mini called Fallen Son, with each issue focusing on one character as well as on one of the five stages of grief (or whatever).  Its announcement a few months back was actually one of the first hints people got that Cap was going to die (in that they announced that the series would be about characters trying to deal with a death that was caused by the end of Civil War).

Edit: Linkage

Also Cap related Colbert Report video clip
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 06:01:02 PM by Velorath »
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #319 on: March 09, 2007, 09:05:18 PM

Even if they did kill Cap off for good, which they didn't, they suck ass for A: killing him with a fucking pistol and B: giving him a stupid, meaningless death.  For all Qesada bullshitted about 'giving deaths meaning', let's look at the score:

Goliath - dead - nobody cares.
Typeface - dead- nobody cares.
Three unidentified supers dead in big climactic fight - nobody cares.
Cap - maybe died like chump.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #320 on: March 09, 2007, 10:33:17 PM

They've pretty much killed Spider-Man and Iron Man too. As far as I'm concerned.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #321 on: March 09, 2007, 10:35:32 PM

Now if they'll just kill Cyclops already...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #322 on: March 10, 2007, 11:33:12 AM

They need to leave Cyclops alone. They've already removed his balls by making him queen bitch to the White Queen. They show as much contempt for Cyclops as most fans do.

Cap died like a punk bitch. Mace Windu had a more honorable death.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #323 on: March 10, 2007, 11:42:39 AM

They need to leave Cyclops alone. They've already removed his balls by making him queen bitch to the White Queen. They show as much contempt for Cyclops as most fans do.

Cap died like a punk bitch. Mace Windu had a more honorable death.

I don't know, getting shot point blank several times by Sharon Carter wasn't too bad.  I think the problem was that especially due to the art in the scene where he gets shot, and the fact that they don't show Sharon's involment until the reveal at the end, people think it was the sniper that killed him.  The sniper only got him in the shoulder (which Cap intentionally used to block the shot from hitting one of the security guys).
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: March 10, 2007, 11:58:10 PM

Yeah, and apparently NOBODY WAS LOOKING when she just whips out a pistol and unloads into Steve's belly, not one single person's attention was drawn to the newly-shot superhero.  Fucking SPEEDBALL survives the Lee Harvey Oswald treatment, then they do it again to Captain America and it's fatal.  (Maybe.)

My dissatisfaction with Marvel has reached an all-time high with Civil War, and I'd thought it couldn't get any higher after House of M.  After having been fed this shit sandwich of a god-awful nonsense story, I'm hoping that enough people stop buying Marvel books to put them into deep enough financial trouble that they fire the hell out of their current staff and hire someone competent.

DC does Infinite Crisis and 52 and characters change and die and the characters actually matter, that's an example of a big event done right.  And then, fucking Marvel...  I swear, if I could mail them a punch to the balls, I'd do it.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #325 on: March 11, 2007, 01:28:55 PM

I really don't feel that Infinite Crisis was very superior.  It pretty much fizzled at the end.  There wasn't that much progress, and bringing back the multiple universes and Monitor(s) is fucking stupid.  I'd much, much rather have a story like Civil War, but just executed better.  That's my only problem with this- they couldn't keep their shit straight and managed to make what should have been a pretty straightforward event require clarification on dozens of points, while some events outright contradict other events.

But I'll take a politically charged superhero division over punching the walls of reality any day.  That sort of shit is why I disliked House of M- reality altering happens way, way, way too often.  Write a story with the world you've made.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #326 on: March 12, 2007, 08:44:11 AM

I really don't feel that Infinite Crisis was very superior.

It's ok to be wrong.  evil

I'll take reality-altering wall punches to an absolute refusal to characterize established brand-name characters correctly. And multiple universes (I always loved the old Earth-1/Earth-2 stuff), and the Monitor, etc. etc. etc.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #327 on: March 12, 2007, 09:37:23 AM

My problem with Infinite Crisis and a lot of DC events is that it feels like they're just rewriting the universe, rather than telling a story in the universe they've written.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: March 12, 2007, 04:40:49 PM

DC has that problem as lot with Elseworlds stuff as well...as someone said earlier they'd rather write in some alternate universe than the one they actually invented it a lot of the time.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #329 on: March 14, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

[SPOILER ALERT!] The New Cap?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: March 14, 2007, 06:51:35 AM

Gay.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: March 14, 2007, 09:16:51 AM

Not enough sense of style for that. :-D

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #332 on: March 14, 2007, 01:27:46 PM

[SPOILER ALERT!] The New Cap?

I'm guessing it will be a quick 1-3 month story, as I suspect that Brubaker has his own story that he wants to tell as far as replacing Cap goes and I doubt the Punisher is involved.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #333 on: March 15, 2007, 01:27:02 AM

Too obvious at this point.  They don't put up pictures of things like that with the question "IS THIS THE NEW CAPTAIN AMERICA?!" except as a tease.  If it was permanent, it would say "GET READY FOR THE NEW CAPTAIN AMERICA!"

Agree with Velorath. Temporary thing, something else is coming down the pipes.

It's strange, I really don't care most of the time when a superhero dies.  I mean, the comic book geek in me can get worked up about it, but I don't really care.  But Steve Rogers being dead just struck me differently.  Like I was almost (highlight that almost) depressed.  I thought about just not reading any comics anymore.  I really was just getting to really like the character.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: March 15, 2007, 04:05:38 AM

If Cap's really dead, what about 1602 ?

I loved what they did with Cap there.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #335 on: March 15, 2007, 09:44:05 AM

For those fond of one-shots featuring Cap and Iron Man arguing about Civil War, The Confession has two such arguements.  Well, one argument really.  The first half is just Iron Man talking to Cap's corpse.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #336 on: March 15, 2007, 11:32:13 AM

For those fond of one-shots featuring Cap and Iron Man arguing about Civil War, The Confession has two such arguements.  Well, one argument really.  The first half is just Iron Man talking to Cap's corpse.

That book was worse than the Avengers. Why must Bendis make every fucking character sound like a sorority airhead hooked on crank? All the heroes went from badasses to chatty Cathy's on their MySpace pages.

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: March 17, 2007, 09:42:52 PM

The many stupid faces of Captain America!

CIVIL WAR (tm): FRONT LINES - "I'm so sorry for what I did, tell that to Tony!"

CIVIL WAR (tm): CONFESSIONS - "Fuck you, Tony, you stupid fuck!"

God damn Bendis and his shitty writing.  And damn Marvel for their shitty editors and the gargantuan contradictions they let fall through the cracks everywhere.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #338 on: March 18, 2007, 10:57:49 PM

Bendis just needs to stick to characters he knows, like Luke Cage.  As a fan of a lot of Dan Slott's stuff, I'm hoping his Avengers book will at least be readable, although I'm questioning the sudden decision to turn it into an ongoing.  Actually the non-continuity book (more or less intended for kids) Marvel Adventures: The Avengers is probably some of the best Avengers stuff I've read in a few years.  Issue #9 which came out a few months ago and has the Avengers getting turned into M.O.D.O.K.'s was an instant classic.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #339 on: April 07, 2007, 10:40:51 PM

The first issue of Fallen Son:  The Death of Captain America - Wolverine came out last Wednesday.  The basic premise of this issue (this is the one that focuses on the first stage of grief, which would be denial) is that Wolverine doesn't really believe that Cap is dead.  It's certainly understandable given that most of the readers don't believe that Cap is dead for the long term either.  There's some ok character moments here, but it doesn't really add up to anything other than telling the readers that Cap is really dead.  I understand that it's just the first part of a 5 part story, and it's by no means horrible, which in and of itself is an accomplishment given the circumstances.  Seeing other people react to Cap's death though is something that should happen in either Cap's book, or in the book of whatever character is doing the reacting.  This mini needs to have an actual story to tell rather than just being a series of character moments, and if it has an actual overall story, that certainly doesn't come through here.  I'm also not sure how it fits with Caps body being used as bait in New Avengers (which also involved Wolverine).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #340 on: April 08, 2007, 11:16:08 AM

I'm also not sure how it fits with Caps body being used as bait in New Avengers (which also involved Wolverine).

It fits by being another book they can sell with Wolverine in it. Otherwise, it sounds like something covered well enough in the fucking New New Avengers crappy book.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #341 on: May 24, 2007, 02:37:06 PM

Having read the second two issues of Fallen Son... the main thought on my mind is that I'm already sick of the post-Civil War MU.  I'm tired of hearing the same characters spout the same talking points over and over again.  This mini is supposed to be about the reaction to Cap's death but that frequently takes a back seat to the pro/anti-reistration drama.  Hawkeye makes his return known, and Iron Man wastes no time in manipulating him into becoming the new Cap and taking him out to arrest two of the anti-reg Young Avengers?  After working with Hawkeye all this time, doesn't he know Clint better than that?  This guy lead the fucking Thunderbolts when they were still wanted by the law.  What would make Tony think that he has any interest in hunting down and arresting heroes, and in Cap's uniform no less?

Oh, and Hawkeye is really good at using Cap's shield.  Because he's a marksman.  Apparently the MU only has one generic weapon skill and if you master it, you've become an expert in using all weapons.  Using swords as Ronin makes some sense because he trained with the Swordsman.  I'm not buying this though.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #342 on: May 24, 2007, 02:42:22 PM

Hawkeye as Ronin was just fucking stupidity of the highest caliber. I think Hawkeye has used Cap's shield once or twice before (I know Wonder Man has). But yes, the whole fucking Fallen Son series has been atrocious. It's been repetitious shit. I'm still waiting for someone to tell a story about Civil War that doesn't make me want to fistfuck the writer to death.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: May 24, 2007, 02:49:05 PM

Hawkeye as Ronin was just fucking stupidity of the highest caliber. I think Hawkeye has used Cap's shield once or twice before (I know Wonder Man has). But yes, the whole fucking Fallen Son series has been atrocious. It's been repetitious shit. I'm still waiting for someone to tell a story about Civil War that doesn't make me want to fistfuck the writer to death.

I thought this was excellent.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #344 on: May 24, 2007, 03:19:24 PM

Hawkeye as Ronin was just fucking stupidity of the highest caliber. I think Hawkeye has used Cap's shield once or twice before (I know Wonder Man has).

I agree.  I'm just saying that I understand that why Clint might have at least some training with swords.  I don't think they're a good weapon for him to use, since they aren't the easiest weapons to use in a non-lethal manner, but when U.S.Agent was first being trained as Cap's replacement, it was shown just how tricky it is to learn how to use Cap's shield (to the point where the government had to get the Taskmaster to train him).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #345 on: June 04, 2007, 04:05:13 PM

And the retcon retardery continues.

New Avengers Illuminati #3 is out. The collected idiocy meets the sins of the past when the FUCKING BEYONDER comes to Earth. And not the all-powerful "fight for me or I squash you" Beyonder from well, beyond, but the leisure suit "I look like Jim Shooter for some strange reason, except with a shitty afro sheen perm" Beyonder.

And he's not really an all-powerful being from beyond the universe, HE'S A FUCKING INHUMAN. A MUTANT INHUMAN.

I mean really, this just has to stop. There's a certain point where you just can't retcon anymore. Secret Wars 2 was an abomination on comics and should be forgotten as quickly as possible. It was terrible and trying to retcon some non-suck into it is just going to make you the writer look like a fucking idiot, and the customers who buy it look like fucking tools. STOP IT.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #346 on: June 05, 2007, 01:34:34 AM

Retcons of 20+ year old stories = good storytelling.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #347 on: June 06, 2007, 12:01:22 PM

I just watched Pan's Labyrinth tonight, and your avatar is offically creepy and bad now Velorath.  More so than it was before, when I didnt know what the fuck it was.  He eats babies for christ sake!

Thats all I can really add to this Civil War thread.  Just let it die the horrible death it deserves.  Maybe we can start a new post-civil war Initiative giant marvel universe cluster fuck thread to bitch in ;).

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #348 on: June 06, 2007, 03:28:48 PM

He eats babies for christ sake!

We all have our quirks.
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #349 on: July 27, 2007, 07:07:36 AM

Damn I wish I hadn't stopped reading comics...then again with trying to catch up with this series, it has made me glad I'm not buying...

Can any of you all fill me in?

1.  Is Thor and the Asgard's still dead?

2.  Was Hawkeye dead during the Civil War too?

3.  Was very lame for the Punisher to come on and then not obey Cap's orders...they are both great soldiers and should understand how to take and give orders...then again they have been making Punisher more psycho.

4.  So I guess we will wait till Cap, Hawk, and Thor somehow wake up and remember what it means to be avengers and fight for what is right even if the public is being stupid (and that was a lame idea on the workers backing the psycho Ironman), I say this as I remember reading a bunch of times when the good guys get hammered and submit, but it usually is those 3 that figure out what they need to do. 

5.  Where was the Hulk?

Hopefully this crap doesn't run over onto the video games coming out.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Civil War  
Jump to: