Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:38:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Upcoming TPB's to look out for 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Upcoming TPB's to look out for  (Read 3683 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: June 01, 2006, 10:31:28 PM

Wanted to make a quick list here of some upcoming books I recommend for the "wait for the trade" types:

Punisher Max: From First To Last HC.  Collects three excellent Punisher one-shots by Garth Ennis, for fans and non-fans of the character alike.  Late September.

Nextwave: Agents Of H.A.T.E Volume 1: Hold On To Your Shorts Premiere HC.  Don't need to say anything else here.  Late August.

X-Factor: The Longest Night Premiere HC  Current X-Factor series by Peter David.  August.

Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt Premiere HC  Still one of my favorite Spidey stories.  Late August.

Justice: Volume 1 (Hardcover).  Certainly no Marvels or Kingdom Come, it's still got Alex Ross artwork, which alone typically makes it worth picking up for me.  September.

About all I can come up with right now but I'm sure I'll see some other stuff.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 11:31:24 PM

Punisher Max: From First To Last HC.  Collects three excellent Punisher one-shots by Garth Ennis, for fans and non-fans of the character alike.  Late September.

Finding myself inexplicably interested with the Punisher lately, so I may pick this one up.

Nextwave: Agents Of H.A.T.E Volume 1: Hold On To Your Shorts Premiere HC.  Don't need to say anything else here.  Late August.

You got it.  No question, I'm looking forward to this.

X-Factor: The Longest Night Premiere HC  Current X-Factor series by Peter David.  August.

Hm.  Really?  I don't know, I'm skeptical.

Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt Premiere HC  Still one of my favorite Spidey stories.  Late August.

Eh. Nah. Maybe for Spidey fans.

Justice: Volume 1 (Hardcover).  Certainly no Marvels or Kingdom Come, it's still got Alex Ross artwork, which alone typically makes it worth picking up for me.  September.

I know nothing of this- tell me more.  What's the story?

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 11:48:05 PM

Let me put it this way, if you like Peter David's writing you'll probably love X-Factor.  This is some of the best stuff he's written.

I'm not a big Spidey fan, but I love Kraven's Last Hunt.  Part of it was due to the fact that it's the story that really got me into comics, but I also just loved the way it was written.  Spider-man wasn't the main character in the book.  It was much more about Kraven, which I know doesn't sound too appealing given that he isn't exactly the greatest comic book villain created, but a lot of humanity is added to Kraven and Vermin's characters that you can't help but feel sorry for them.  The art also achieved levels of atmosphere that Todd Mcfarlane only wishes he could duplicate.

I'll get back to you on Justice, as that requires a bit of a longer write up and the story is only about half done (the hardcover is only the first vol.).
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 11:57:23 PM

Agreed. You don't have to be a Spidey fan to like Kraven's Last Hunt.

Disagree with Vel on him not being a great villian. He's one of Spider-Man's best.

[edit]

Also: How in the world can a comic reader not be a Spidey fan?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 12:03:08 AM by Stray »
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 01:28:49 AM

Well, it's similar to being a triangle but not necessarily being isosceles.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 07:55:39 AM

I like the character but have never been enough of a fan to pick up any of his books on a regular basis.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 08:05:05 AM

but have never been enough of a fan to pick up any of his books on a regular basis.

Hmm....Well, I don't either, I guess.  smiley

I don't pick up a lot of comic books actually. I just like the idea of them...Or something.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 08:37:30 AM

Easy. I've always felt Spidey was a whiney bitch. I've liked some of his older villains, but most of his villains created after the John Romita, Sr. run were crap. He's often been saddled with mediocre artists, or overrated artists like McFarlane. Did I mention he's a whiney bitch? I've loved the movies, but as a regular series, I can just never get into the character no matter how well he's written.

As for the Justice series, it's Super Friends vs. The Legion of Doom, only done seriously, and with goregous Alex Ross art. It's worth reading.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 09:17:53 AM

But you do like the original idea behind the character right? That's all I'm talking about. Not some particular take on him and whatnot.

I mean, I hate the majority of superhero comics to be honest....But yet, I like the general idea/archetype characters like Batman, the X-Men, the Flash, etc.. Even the Silver Surfer, who's probably the most appealing to me, has only about 10% good stuff written about him...If that. But his main story and schtick (what Stan Lee created pretty much) is what rocks. Same goes for Spider-Man.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 09:23:26 AM by Stray »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 10:18:07 AM

The concept of Spidey is ok, but even in the best hands, I've just never liked the execution.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 12:41:48 PM

Kraven's Last Hunt was good. The stuff with Sin-Eater that Peter David did was great. Spider-man vs. Wolverine was good.

Spider-Man took a definite turn for the worse when MJ started getting more involved.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 12:29:42 AM

Couple more books to add to the list:

Ares: God Of War Premiere HC (Hardcover) :  From writer Michael Avon Oeming who brought us the rather lackluster story of the fall of the MU's Thor and Asgard comes a much better story about an assault on Marvel's Greek pantheon.  The pacing of the story is a bit off, but all in all it's a pretty enjoyable read.

Conan: Book Of Thoth (Paperback):  Kurt Busiek's take on the origin of Conan villain Thoth-Amon.  If you like Conan comics, you'll probably want to check this out.

Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis:  Also from Busiek comes the first volume of his run on Aquaman.  Now it's hard for me to fully recommend this book as all the issues contained in it haven't been released yet so I haven't read the full arc.  Busiek also has this story on a bit of a slow burn, treating it more like a longer epic.  In other words this tpb won't really tell the complete story by itself so don't pick it up if you don't want to get into anything for the long haul.  Busiek's writing here is heavily influenced by his previous work on Conan.

Dr. Strange Vs. Dracula: The Montesi Formula TPB (Paperback):  Ok, this isn't exactly required reading.  It is however a fairly fun Marvel tale from simpler times.  You've got Marv Wolfman writing, Dr. Strange, Blade, Frank Drake, Hannibal King, and the eradication of Vampires in the Marvel Universe (for a time anyway).
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Upcoming TPB's to look out for  
Jump to: