Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 07:55:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Usagi Yojimbo 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Usagi Yojimbo  (Read 5246 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: May 21, 2006, 11:37:30 PM

What Took So Long

There's one reason it's taken me so long to write anything about Usagi Yojimbo.  It's the fucking furries.  A taint has been cast over anthropomorphic characters since these deviant fucktards started up their communities on the Internet.  These days, if you see a picture of an anthropomorphic rabbit online, chances are it's part of some shut-in's sexual fantasy.  It wouldn't suprise me if there was less than wholesome pictures and fanfics of Usagi in the dark corners of the Internet, but I'd just as soon remain ignorant of them.  So for those who shudder when they see human-like animals, let me assure you that this is not that type of book.

Usagi Yojimbo is the story of Miyamoto Usagi.  Having lost his Lord at the Battle of Adachigahara, Usagi wanders 17th century Japan as a Ronin.  For over 20 years now Stan Sakai has been writing Usagi's adventures, first in short stories in Albedo (self-published by Steve Gallacci), and then in his own series published by Fantagraphics, Mirage, and currently Dark Horse.  With "Vol. 20: Glimpses of Death" coming next month, it seemed like as good a time as any to write something up here.

For Beginners

First of all, for those interested in giving Usagi a try I'd recommend picking up the first two books at the same time.  The reason for this is that while the first book introduces most of the important recurring characters, the writing is still a little rough.  That's not to say that there aren't some good stories in there.  Homecoming, the story of Usagi's first trip back to his home town since becoming a Ronin, is the first story that I think really fleshes Usagi out as a character.  Most of the stories in this collection though are fairly short, and while they're enjoyable (especially the stories that introduce the Bounty Hunter Gen, the recurring character that probably shows up the most in the Usagi books as one of his few friends), there's not much meat to them.

This all changes in Vol. 2 though, which is a 9 part tale of Usagi recounting his "origin" story to Gen.  The book opens with a duel between Usagi and an (at the time) unnamed enemy.  Usagi tells Gen of the events that led up to that duel, and how this enemy, Gunichi was a friend of his who betrayed their Lord Mifune.  This story stands to this day as the best Usagi story written (which doesn't make later volumes an less worth buying).  The flashbacks showing Usagi's training as a kid, under his teacher Katsuichi are some of the best moments of the series.  So much so that Sakai still does an occasional Young Usagi backup story.  If you don't like the series by the end of reading this story, it's probably safe to say that you wouldn't like the later books either.  This one really sets the tone for series.  You can actually read the first few pages of the book at amazon here.  Strangely it's under the listing for book 3, but click on the search inside option and it will actually show you book 2.

The Way of the Samurai

While there are other multi-part Usagi stories (Vol. 4's Dragon Bellow Conspiracy, Grasscutter 1 & 2), most of Sakai's tales are simple, one-issue stories, typically having him fighting a monster or group of bandits, going against the Neko ninja clan, or solving some other problem as he travels from town to town on his Warriors Pilgrimage.  The major characters are distinct and likable., most of them are inspired by various historical and fictional Japanese personalities (Miyamoto Musashi, Zatoichi, Lone Wolf and Cub, etc...).  Sakai also manages to work in a lot of folklore, details of Japanese life during those times (you'll learn a lot from these books, from various Japanese words and phrases, to how to harvest Seaweed and make kites).

Sakai's artwork is simple B&W, but effective.  While Usagi tries to avoid violence whenever possible, there's a lot of it nonetheless, and Sakai's duels and battles are draw with a sense of quickness or brutality depending on what is needed.  Many duels take place within a few panels, quickly ending with the first strike as the loser often simply falls to the ground.  Larger scale fights are often a lot more violent, and Sakai does a good job depicting the action.  Only a handful of characters seem to be off-limits as far as death goes.  Samurai (and even Ninja) honor being what it is, people who might otherwise be friends are forced to fight to the death, while others sacrifice themselves in the line of duty.  It's a tragedy anytime we see a character die or commit ritual suicide for what modern senseabilities would consider stupid reasons, but to many of the characters honor is more important than their lives, not only for their sakes but for the sake of their ancestors and descendants.  The ending to one of the more recent books, Duel at Kitanoji is a fine example of this as two good men fight a duel to the death as a point of honor in proving who is the better swordsman.  It's a needless death, especially as the two involved recently fought together in defense of a village, but there is no backing out of it due to circumstances.

I picked up the first book back in '89 or so I think.  I'll be honest, I first heard of the character through his guest appearance in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and then happened to come across the first couple books in a store at a mall.  Long after my interest in the Turtles has passed (well ok, I still think the old cartoon has stood the test of time pretty well, and I still have my old comics) I'm still buying Usagi Yojimbo books as they're released.  They're simple enough for young adults to get into, but entertaining enough for grown-ups to enjoy as well.  Kinda like Harry Potter if Harry Potter wasn't complete shit and actually had some sort of depth to it.

Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 10:16:21 AM

Is there furry rabbit sex?

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 12:58:23 PM

He just opened a fairly lengthy post saying there wasn't (which most of us knew anyways).
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 03:51:25 PM

He just opened a fairly lengthy post saying there wasn't (which most of us knew anyways).

Stop dodging the question!

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 04:06:21 PM

Interesting.  Here I thought Usagi was just a Minor TMNT universe character.  A throwaway-for-more-toys like Bebop and Rocksteady.  Thx for the infoz.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 04:19:18 PM

[edit]

Sigh. Nevermind. Not witty or rude enough today.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 04:34:13 PM

Only off-panel and apparently unlike real rabbits it only resulted in one kid.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 12:00:45 PM

Well if I cant dress up in a furry Usagi costume and go to conventions to hit on chicks in pink bunny costumes, then Im not reading it!
 wink

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 01:22:59 PM

Well if I cant dress up in a furry Usagi costume and go to conventions to hit on chicks in pink bunny costumes, then Im not reading it!
 wink
I'm told there is a huge gender imbalance in the furry community, so there wouldn't be chicks in those pink bunny costumes.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Llava
Contributor

Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 01:37:57 PM

Jake adjusted the the head on his rhino costume and peered out the eyeholes at the bustling crowd.  Hoping to find a sexy hippo-lady in the crowd, he was disappointed to find only the usual assortment of foxes and cheetahs.  "Still," he thought to himself, "I came here to get yiffed and at this point I'm ready to mount a fucking raccoon chick if I have to."

He waddled up to one of the foxes, but years of trapping himself in a container of animal musks and his own sweat had sharpened his sense of smell.  This fox was emitting male scent.  He backed off and traveled through the crowd, whiffing pheromone after pheromone. Growing increasingly frustrated, he began to wonder where the females were hiding.  He pulled the head on his suit down further to get a better look, at the gathering when he saw it.

Males yiffing with males.

Overcome with shock, he tripped over a lion's tail and collapsed into a large wolf.  Scrambling to his feet, Jake, in his panicked state, ripped off his mask by the horn, crying out:

"This is a GAY furry convention!!"

(Please add "yiffed" to the spell checker.)

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 04:42:08 PM

Jake adjusted the the head on his rhino costume and peered out the eyeholes at the bustling crowd.  Hoping to find a sexy hippo-lady in the crowd, he was disappointed to find only the usual assortment of foxes and cheetahs.  "Still," he thought to himself, "I came here to get yiffed and at this point I'm ready to mount a fucking raccoon chick if I have to."

He waddled up to one of the foxes, but years of trapping himself in a container of animal musks and his own sweat had sharpened his sense of smell.  This fox was emitting male scent.  He backed off and traveled through the crowd, whiffing pheromone after pheromone. Growing increasingly frustrated, he began to wonder where the females were hiding.  He pulled the head on his suit down further to get a better look, at the gathering when he saw it.

Males yiffing with males.

Overcome with shock, he tripped over a lion's tail and collapsed into a large wolf.  Scrambling to his feet, Jake, in his panicked state, ripped off his mask by the horn, crying out:

"This is a GAY furry convention!!"

(Please add "yiffed" to the spell checker.)

I should be pissed about all the furry talk in this thread, but that was pretty funny.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 06:06:08 PM

If it makes you feel better, I did have a crisis of ethics before posting it.

Not sure why all the ads in this thread are for helping black authors.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 06:15:05 PM

If it makes you feel better, I did have a crisis of ethics before posting it.

Not sure why all the ads in this thread are for helping black authors.

Everyone knows Maya Angelou is a furry.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 08:18:11 PM

I thought Usagi Yojimbo was kickass back in the day. Until I found out about furries. Usagi will never, EVER, be the same again.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 08:36:44 PM

Nice things.  Can't have 'em.  This is why.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 09:28:43 PM

wink
I'm told there is a huge gender imbalance in the furry community, so there wouldn't be chicks in those pink bunny costumes.

That explains soooo much..... NDA

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #16 on: May 24, 2006, 09:59:04 AM

I thought Usagi Yojimbo was kickass back in the day. Until I found out about furries. Usagi will never, EVER, be the same again.

I feel the same way about Omaha the Cat Dancer.

Quote from: Lantyssa

I haven't met one furry for which that would make a damn bit of difference.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 24, 2006, 10:31:10 AM

I haven't met one furry for which that would make a damn bit of difference.
Which is why I was warning him.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Usagi Yojimbo  
Jump to: