Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:33:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: 300k units sold; pvp incoming 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 300k units sold; pvp incoming  (Read 43799 times)
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #35 on: May 11, 2006, 02:34:45 PM

Regardless of theire origin, Drow are extreeeemly rare in the world DDO is placed in.

Kinda like dragons on Athas.

Werent they slaves to the giants on the continent of Xen'drick where Stormreach is?

All that aside though drow receive a +2 lvl adjustment due to their innate abilities, which means the only way to implement them in game is to either 1. give them a lvl cap of 8 or 2. nerf the heck out of their innate abilities (like they did Warforged).  Either way WTF does it matter? If they nerf them then all they are are dark skinned elves which they already have in game! Its retarded.

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #36 on: May 12, 2006, 12:54:04 PM

They should have had a pvp forum and let the players have their say on ideas, even if nobody was listening, moderating one forum with thousands of posts is not much more difficult than moderating one thread with thousands of posts.  Besides if they did the sensible thing and encouraged anti pvp players to stay out of the pvp forum there wouldn't have been quite so much debate.

Cal if you do the same thing as this for LOTRO then I'm expecting a LOTRO beta invite at the very least.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #37 on: May 12, 2006, 02:27:18 PM

They had to do that because virtually the entire first page of General discussion was filled with D&D people screaming about how much they hate the idea.  As far as LOTRO goes I thought that was the board where PvP discussion is confined to one thread and if you post about it anywhere else you get in trouble.  Maybe I'm confusing that with another upcoming MMO though.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #38 on: May 12, 2006, 02:47:16 PM

If you read my full quoted post I mentioned that.  There are three types of player, those in favour of pvp, those against and those who can take it or leave it based on the design.

With DDO and LOTRO online Turbine have appealed to anti pvp players, by restricting the discussion to one thread and by making clear that pvp will not be present at release Turbine created the DDO pvp backlash.  With no restrictions on the posting in the pvp threads they degenerated into the standard pro anti discussion.  Human nature means the anti players enjoyed gloating at the misfortunate of pvp players, they had won.  The net result with the addition of pvp to DDO is the anti pvp players, quite rightly, feel betrayed.

If they had a pvp forum to start with and discouraged the whole pro anti discussion they could still have marketed the games as non pvp but with the clear understanding that pvp might well be added at some point, which is clearly true.  I really don't believe they would have lost many sales as result but rather than the current anti pvp backlash, DDO would be experiencing a more mixed reaction.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 02:49:15 PM by Arthur_Parker »
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #39 on: May 12, 2006, 03:01:17 PM

It's hard to discuss PvP without parameters.  PvP runs the gambit from rock / paper / sissors to lord of the flies gankfests. Some sort of "Competitive Mission" PvP would fit with DDO's set up.

Does DDO rely on taunt/CC/steath? Those alway seem to be trouble areas regardless of the PvP set up.

"Me am play gods"
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 12, 2006, 03:19:25 PM

Cal if you do the same thing as this for LOTRO then I'm expecting a LOTRO beta invite at the very least.

I would kill for that guy to reply to the first post, which is "Are you trying to get all the posts in one area so you can ignore them all at the same time?" and say just "Yes." and lock the thread.

You see the most pathetic shit at the most official forums, it never fails.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: May 13, 2006, 04:23:52 AM

...everyone who likes them should be sent to Drowschwitz.  The only way out is up the chimney, you pretentious sons of bitches.

Genius.  Delicious, offensive genius.  So good that I'm even tempted to attribute when I use it, and not just steal it and pretend I'm cleverer than I am.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #42 on: May 13, 2006, 01:04:59 PM

They should have had a pvp forum and let the players have their say on ideas, even if nobody was listening, moderating one forum with thousands of posts is not much more difficult than moderating one thread with thousands of posts.  Besides if they did the sensible thing and encouraged anti pvp players to stay out of the pvp forum there wouldn't have been quite so much debate.

Funny stuff.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #43 on: May 15, 2006, 10:58:36 AM

Calandryll
Developers

Would you kindly produce a web game.

Reply #44 on: May 15, 2006, 12:52:40 PM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #45 on: May 15, 2006, 01:58:47 PM

Love this one:

Hmmmm...

I feel a disturbance in the force....err...lore.

I say, forget 4th Qtr.....this year.

As if PVP wasn't in the books in some fashion. What about the Human who got chased off of the village of Bree for letting the wraiths in? What about Sauraman and his army or Grima Wormtongue? If ever there was justifcation for PVP, that's it.

But Lore is funny that way.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #46 on: May 15, 2006, 02:25:25 PM

Love this thread

Note I combined men and women responces to get the percentages, which effectively doubles the percentage (so think of it as 200% not 100%)

23.9% of the people strongly prefered PvP
22.7% slightly prefered PvP
compared to
98% of the people strongly prefered PvE
35.8% slightly prefered PvE

6 Million people are playing WoW, (ok 200,000 of them are in a queue waiting to play WoW) but this guy is using statistics to prove pvp is a minority playstyle.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #47 on: May 15, 2006, 02:31:01 PM

Well, it is a minority playstyle. I don't see why that matters though.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #48 on: May 15, 2006, 02:46:52 PM

Worldwide never, western world?  Not since WoW was released, one of the rare times I agree with Hrose.  I think it matters because it still surprises people.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #49 on: May 15, 2006, 02:50:42 PM

I love PvP, but hate the hell out of WoW's world PvP....But yet, I loved Shadowbane.

I wonder where I fit in the 'statistics'?

Also, none of those articles made much sense to me. I don't know if I agree with HRose or not.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #50 on: May 15, 2006, 04:10:20 PM

When WoW launched and I logged in the first day I was stunned that at server selection fully half were PvP.  I had expected it to be treated as a bastard child like in EQ.  But those servers filled up just as fast as the PvE ones.  I was forced to change my belief that PvP in MMOs were a niche that not many liked.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 16, 2006, 12:20:16 PM

When WoW launched and I logged in the first day I was stunned that at server selection fully half were PvP.  I had expected it to be treated as a bastard child like in EQ.  But those servers filled up just as fast as the PvE ones.  I was forced to change my belief that PvP in MMOs were a niche that not many liked.

Actually the pvp servers filled up a lot faster than the pve ones, i think theres like a 60/40 split now.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #52 on: May 16, 2006, 01:51:50 PM

The problem is there are so many ways you can change up the implementation of PVP that changes the kind of player who will like it dramatically that just saying PVP isn't adequate anymore. Open, wild-west style PVP? Very much a minority. WoW/DAoC-like consensual PVP? A majority. Shadowbane? Minority. EQ2/COH- arena only style? Minority.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #53 on: May 16, 2006, 07:57:17 PM

Balanced (relatively so) PvP with the option to show off pretty hats in safety 4tw.  WoW, for all its faults, has hit on the way PvP should be.  I am surprised they are not taking more advantage of this aspect of their success; all the raid shit seems trivial.

Gimme better objectives then the grindage that is BG!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: 300k units sold; pvp incoming  
Jump to: