Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:30:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: 300k units sold; pvp incoming 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 300k units sold; pvp incoming  (Read 43797 times)
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

on: May 10, 2006, 12:50:12 PM

Linky

Turbine Adds New Solo Content To Dungeons & Dragons Online™: Stormreach™

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turbine, Inc. announced today plans for a range of expanded player features and content, including more solo-friendly game play, to be included in the second content module for DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ONLINE™: Stormreach™ (DDO), the hit game that has quickly become one of the fastest-growing MMOGs (massively multiplayer online games) in North America.

Free to all current DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ONLINE™ subscribers, the Twilight Forge module is slated for release in July and will include the new drow race, new content for players of all levels, an improved new player experience, and enhanced replayability. Following on the heels of the successful retail launch with over 300,000 units sold worldwide, the Twilight Forge module is the second in a series of planned updates that will provide new content and features for DDO.

Read the full press release on ddo.com!

300,000 units sold is pretty good, I think the solo content is the right move but July seems a long time to wait.

EDIT: You can den this if you like, Mesozoic has a thread going here
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 03:19:22 PM by Arthur_Parker »
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 12:51:42 PM

http://www.ddo.com/index.php?page_id=20&pagebuilder[module]=article&pagebuilder[display_item]=412

This is going to be a fun ride.  Solo content is nice, but with no additional levels coming in it seems like a short-term solution.  PvP ought to be...interesting, depending on if its just dueling (which no one will play after a week) and how Turbine responds to the inevitable "ZOMG [class X] sucks vs [class Y]!" threads.

And 300k sold?  What is that, 30-50,000 subs?  Ouch.

EDIT: Link is ugly due to url but seems to work.

Edit by Trippy: fixed link use

Code:
[url]blah[/url]

instead of

Code:
[url="blah"]blah[/url]

And yes "[]" are not legal URL characters -- whoever wrote that CMS software should be shot.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 03:19:30 PM by Trippy »

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 12:55:59 PM

PvP as an afterthought is usually (always?) lackluster at best.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 01:03:03 PM

Where is Broughden the Turbine Stalker?  Shouldn'd he be replying that it's a complete lie?

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 01:06:09 PM

Where is Broughden the Turbine Stalker?  Shouldn'd he be replying that it's a complete lie?

Changing his IP address, probably.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 01:52:43 PM

I don't think PVP is coming with this module, just "in a future module."  The same sentence about the coming PvP also mentions a future level cap increase. 

Here's a link that works.....if you cut and paste it.  I have no clue why they have those friggin brackets in the URL.

http://www.ddo.com/index.php?page_id=20&pagebuilder[module]=article&pagebuilder[display_item]=412

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Calandryll
Developers

Would you kindly produce a web game.

Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 01:55:02 PM

I don't think PVP is coming with this module, just "in a future module."  The same sentence about the coming PvP also mentions a future level cap increase. 

Here's a link that works.....if you cut and paste it.  I have no clue why they have those friggin brackets in the URL.

Correct. PvP is not in module 2.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 01:55:56 PM

Drow? Solo content? When is the CEO's mom going to be put on the block?

I have never played WoW.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 02:00:44 PM

Drow were tiresomely predictable. The solo content just screams "uh oh" to me.

I have never played WoW.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 03:03:53 PM

Calandryll, when can we see screenshots of the new sets of bikini armor to go along with the drow?

"Me am play gods"
Calandryll
Developers

Would you kindly produce a web game.

Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 03:36:26 PM

Calandryll, when can we see screenshots of the new sets of bikini armor to go along with the drow?
I'll see what I can do. ;)
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 04:15:20 PM

Hardy har har...

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Broughden
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 04:24:15 PM

No half-orcs or any of the other traditional races....instead they pump out Drow. An evil race even though the game has no PVP and at this time alignment has no effect in game other than what equipment or weapons you can use.

No lvl cap increase.

And all of this awesomeness isnt coming out till July....probably end of. (All that fanbois thought it would be end of May...LOL)

This game is flat lined and I dont think even an intracardiac shot of epinephrine is going to revive it.

Alot of people have already left and with no lvl cap increase and the new content not going for two more months......this game has shuffled off its mortal coil.

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Broughden
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 04:25:04 PM

double posted  undecided

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 04:29:58 PM

Linky
Quote from: Sporkfire
The group game is still there and still the most important part of DDO. We're adding solo content mainly for the early levels, to help new players get into the game easier so they can level up a little and be ready for the group challenges.

Linky 2
Quote from: Samera
For those of you who are getting worried about PVP I want to stress a few things: any PVP in DDO would be a) consensual and b) location based (i.e. taking place within a dedicated area such as an arena). You will have to choose to participate in PVP if it is something that interests you.

Linky 3
Quote from: Sporkfire
DDO will not become WoW. I can promise you that. Not that there is a problem with the WoW system (or, if there is, I am going to diplomatically avoid it), but non-consensual PvP, realm wars and that kind of thing will not be part of the system. It will be consensual and will not have to interrupt the way you want to play. Nobody is going to invade your instance and killsteal your kobolds before ganking you, looting you and talking smack over your corpse. Promise.

So the solo content is to draw players in and the pvp is in an arena, over a dozen dungeons. no level cap increase but with a wait until July.

Somebody needs to buy Sporkfire a WoW account and demonstrate to him that WoW doesn't contain any non-consensual PvP.  Really it doesn't.  Turbine confuse the hell out of me most of the time.  Both the DDO and LOTRO forums have harsh policies on pvp discussion, pvp threads are locked extremely quickly with the note that pvp discussion is only allowed in one massive thread on each site.  I saw a hardcore lotro fan make a passing reference to pvp the other day and he was rewarded with a reminder that bans carry over to the new lotro forums, he shut up pretty quick.

To me that reads like a massive "fuck off" to anyone interested in pvp, I don't see anything wrong with that in itself, pvp doesn't really suit DDO and only suits LOTRO if they added evil races, so the pvp fans were unlikely to buy either game anyway.  But now the situation in DDO has changed, they always said they might add pvp but now it's going in and talk is allowed, who exactly is it going to appeal to?  The pvp fans who have been shut out for over a year and have mostly left?

They should have had a pvp forum and let the players have their say on ideas, even if nobody was listening, moderating one forum with thousands of posts is not much more difficult than moderating one thread with thousands of posts.  Besides if they did the sensible thing and encouraged anti pvp players to stay out of the pvp forum there wouldn't have been quite so much debate.

The cycle is repeating itself, here is the brand new lotro pvp thread if you read the posts it's not pvp players coming up with ideas, it's mostly pve players gloating.  What's going to happen if they need to add pvp to lotro?  Lots of dev posts like DDO above, explaining it's ok, it's a watered down pvp system that tries to please both sides (that can't agree on anything).
Broughden
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 04:33:14 PM

stuff

Because they dont know their asses from holes in the ground and at this point are vainly trying to do anything to save this mess.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 04:38:18 PM

When I want your opinion I'll setup a forum and ip ban you.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 04:52:37 PM

The solo content just screams "uh oh" to me.
QFT

Broughden
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 05:04:25 PM

When I want your opinion I'll setup a forum and ip ban you.
LMAO... :-D

Hey it was defending your forum sub #'s that got me banned there! Heart

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 05:04:52 PM

Will "needs more elves" be the "needs more cowbell" for 2006?

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #20 on: May 10, 2006, 05:10:06 PM

That cartoon makes no sense. The proper way to spell Elvis in plural is "Elvii".
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 06:06:45 PM

stuff

Because they dont know their asses from holes in the ground and at this point are vainly trying to do anything to save this mess.

Yep with sales of under 100,000, they are doomed!!! oh Wait, that was just you talking out your ass...

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Broughden
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 10, 2006, 06:12:26 PM

stuff

Yep with sales of under 100,000, they are doomed!!! oh Wait, that was just you talking out your ass...

No that was me discussing the available information at the time the discussion took place, which was awhile ago.
Additionally that does nothing to change the fact the game sucks. Also with no lvl cap increase and the new quests not coming until July (probably late July), two months from now, I dont see things improving for them.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #23 on: May 10, 2006, 06:35:21 PM

Is this the same Sporkfire from Planetside forums all those years ago?

I have never played WoW.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 10, 2006, 08:08:55 PM

Just wait till they start "balancing" the classes based on PVP. At that point any shred that DDO was ever a D&D game will go out the window.

For those who think they will never do that....the dev's in CoH promised the same thing. And then started nerfing/balacing everything based on PVP.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #25 on: May 11, 2006, 12:03:44 AM

Drow?  Shit, they really are desperate.  I mean, I'm no D&D expert, but isn't DDO not even the right campaign setting for drow?

But hey, maybe it'll be a nice elf-sink for all the roleplay cocksnots in every other MMO who try to pass themselves off as drow because they think any setting with fucking swords must be Forgotten Realms.  God those people piss me off.  A million retards named Gandalf may be assholes without a creative bone in their bodies, but at least they're ripping off Tolkien, an activity which pretty much forms the entire basis of the fantasy genre.

But a million assholes named Drizzt?  Not only are they uncreative dipshits, they're ripping off something with about as much literary merit as those trillions of shitty Star Wars novels that even I won't buy.  Seriously, I've read a couple Salvatore books just to see what the fuck all the hype was about, don't even argue this with me.  I've never seen such an odious Mary Sue as Drizzt, either.

Anyway, in conclusion, drow are the source of the faggoty dark elf emo archetype that plagues the RPG landscape, and everyone who likes them should be sent to Drowschwitz.  The only way out is up the chimney, you pretentious sons of bitches.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #26 on: May 11, 2006, 01:14:58 AM

Drow?  Shit, they really are desperate.  I mean, I'm no D&D expert, but isn't DDO not even the right campaign setting for drow?
The Drow were around before the Forgotten Realms campaign was developed -- they were a part of Gary Gygax's original Greyhawk campaign setting and listed in the AD&D Monster Manual.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 11, 2006, 09:37:03 AM

I wonder how many drow rangers will be made...

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 11, 2006, 09:38:20 AM

Half as many as Scimitars wielded, I suspect.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 11, 2006, 09:41:57 AM

How long until NWN2 comes out again?

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 11, 2006, 09:59:58 AM

Half as many as Scimitars wielded, I suspect.

Damn Drizzt. Damn Salvatore. Damn the entire fuckin' drow species. I can't count the number of freakin' elf rangers (Nelf Hunters in WoW, natch, with their fucking cats. Black cats) I've seen -- from MMORPGS to the endless fucking tortured Drizzt varients in Pen and Paper games. If it's not Drizzt-clone, it's Drizzt variant (hell, even I've done it -- drow gunslinger in D20 Modern, but other than dual-wielding, being drow, and being fast, nothing else in common). If it's not the goddamn Drizzt variant, it's fuckers playing Drow to "Roleplay Evil" -- which means, by the way, "Being a greedy fucking bastard and generally fucking with people because I can" and is the pen and paper version of griefers...

I wish he'd never fucking wrote "The Crystal Shard".

On the other hand, his Cleric books actually got me to play a cleric in a few games -- and not because I was the last one there and got to be the healing bitch.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 11, 2006, 10:52:29 AM

In fairness, the cheesiness of Drizzt didn't start off that bad.  It just got a lot worse laters.

Like Raistlin.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #32 on: May 11, 2006, 11:12:40 AM

What the shit?  Didn't we just do this thread on the DDO forum?

Whatever.  To Drowschwitz with all of you bastards.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #33 on: May 11, 2006, 11:45:20 AM

I cast "Mordenkainen's Thread Merge".

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #34 on: May 11, 2006, 02:00:33 PM

Regardless of theire origin, Drow are extreeeemly rare in the world DDO is placed in.

Kinda like dragons on Athas.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: 300k units sold; pvp incoming  
Jump to: