Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:36:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Bible Study for Gamers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bible Study for Gamers  (Read 24882 times)
schild
Administrator

on: May 07, 2006, 10:03:54 PM

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 10:09:20 PM

Does that mean that Blizzard is realeasing a Starcraft MMO?
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 10:16:15 PM

So uh, what, all Alliance toons are uncut?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 12:02:57 AM

That was a fun read!  I even enjoyed the God adverts!   cheesy

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 06:00:55 AM

Was telling someone about this the other day. Definitely one of the dirtiest moves in the entire book.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 11:12:01 AM

I'd want to do the same thing if my sister was raped, and then the rapist comes to my house and says 'Hey, I'm that guy that raped your sister. I think she's hot. You should force her to marry me. I'm a really nice guy, really!'. Ass, he got what he deserved.

- Viin
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 11:28:01 AM

I'd want to do the same thing if my sister was raped, and then the rapist comes to my house and says 'Hey, I'm that guy that raped your sister. I think she's hot. You should force her to marry me. I'm a really nice guy, really!'. Ass, he got what he deserved.

Well they killed everyone in the town too.  The guy? Sure, I can see that; I'd have been right there with them.  Maybe even the Pop for not only condoning the behavior but also enabling it and not really giving a shit that his son is a fuckhead rapist - and also for convincing the town to get circumcized as a ploy for stealing cattle and womens and shit.  But the whole town and taking all the womens and stuff as thier own?

Ok, sure they were dishonest fucks and all but they might have gone a bit far there.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Litigator
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 11:37:30 AM

Well they killed everyone in the town too.  The guy? Sure, I can see that; I'd have been right there with them.  Maybe even the Pop for not only condoning the behavior but also enabling it and not really giving a shit that his son is a fuckhead rapist - and also for convincing the town to get circumcized as a ploy for stealing cattle and womens and shit.  But the whole town and taking all the womens and stuff as thier own?

Ok, sure they were dishonest fucks and all but they might have gone a bit far there.

That's the way they rolled back in the day. It was the common course of warfare when sacking a city to kill the men and carry off the women as slaves. The cost of imperialism is much lower if you don't have continually pacify the conquered people. Back then, they just did it once, but really, really good. If you kill all the men in a town and rape all the women, twenty years later, all the men there are your countrymen, and you only really need to occupy them for like 15 minutes.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 12:25:13 PM

If you kill all the men in a town and rape all the women, twenty years later, all the men there are your countrymen, and you only really need to occupy them for like 15 minutes.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 12:30:18 PM

I wonder what military enlistment numbers would look like if it was announced that the Pentagon was establishing Rape & Pillage as the active doctrine for occupation?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 12:31:32 PM

Probably the same.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 03:20:04 PM

Hey! I resemble that remark!\

(That's a joke, son. Actually, I do resent that remark).

- Viin
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 05:06:26 PM

Griefers.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 08:57:20 PM

All the good pillage has already been, er...pillaged.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 03:39:57 AM

That's the way they rolled back in the day. It was the common course of warfare when sacking a city to kill the men and carry off the women as slaves. The cost of imperialism is much lower if you don't have continually pacify the conquered people. Back then, they just did it once, but really, really good. If you kill all the men in a town and rape all the women, twenty years later, all the men there are your countrymen, and you only really need to occupy them for like 15 minutes.

I couldn't help but notice that at no time did any of the guys involved ask the girl what she thought about the whole thing.

As to the whole rape and pillage approach to the hearts and minds issue, I can't help but notice what a sweet and peaceful land the descendants of these folks abide in today, and how well they and their neighbors get along.

It is my inability to stop noticing things that made me less than completely popular in my fundamentalist Christian hometown, I suspect.

Edit: Nice article, btw.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 05:32:58 AM

I couldn't help but notice that at no time did any of the guys involved ask the girl what she thought about the whole thing.
You don't ask your car how it feels about getting a tire change do you?  evil

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 06:02:00 AM

Let's be frank :  The bitch was asking for it.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 07:24:42 AM

Let's be frank :  The bitch was asking for it.

Like Justice Pickles said, she was no angel.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 08:12:36 AM

As to the whole rape and pillage approach to the hearts and minds issue, I can't help but notice what a sweet and peaceful land the descendants of these folks abide in today, and how well they and their neighbors get along.

I'm not challenging your ideals and wishes here (because I share them), but can you point out one society/region in this period that lived up to these standards? I'd like to know about it.

It is my inability to stop noticing things that made me less than completely popular in my fundamentalist Christian hometown, I suspect.

I don't know about your hometown, but I would like to point out that

Middle Eastern Bronze Age tribal feuds != Jesus of Nazareth

But of course, I'm sure people know that...

Anyways...Is this thread officially about "religion" now?  cheesy
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 08:20:45 AM

Was it ever about anything else ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #20 on: May 10, 2006, 08:59:32 AM

These are the same dudes who sold their own brother into slavery, so killing a town of their enemies was well within their wheelhouse.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Litigator
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 01:20:18 PM

Well, this is from Genesis which precedes the part of the Bible where God starts making a lot of rules.  Blood guilt was a common cultural concept at that time, so a rape was a crime on the heads of all the men of a tribe or something. Later on, God puts the kibosh on it. However, it was maintained as a principle of warfare that you kill the men until very recently. A distinction between enemy civilians and enemy combatants, and a notion of humanity in warfare is a very recent development.

There are still tribal societies that punish murders of someone from one family group by executing a member of the killer's family the same age as a victim, rather than directly punishing the killer.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #22 on: May 10, 2006, 08:01:23 PM

The Sicilians still do this don't they? Family blood feuds?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 11, 2006, 01:39:20 AM

The Sicilians still do this don't they? Family blood feuds?

Never been to Sicily, but I know that the more rural Albanians are still hot for the lex talionis.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Bible Study for Gamers  
Jump to: