Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:02:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '06  |  Topic: Shadowrun teaser? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shadowrun teaser?  (Read 34700 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: May 15, 2006, 02:52:02 PM

cry

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #36 on: May 15, 2006, 07:56:40 PM

Well, i'm pretty good at the countar-straek, so i have that going for me i guess. Elf CTF, not so much  huh

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #37 on: May 17, 2006, 07:34:04 AM

So how is this different from Tabula Rasa? 

Disappointing trailer.

One of the best things about the PnP Shadowrun was all the backstory.  I still have those modules and handbooks and should dig them out.  Great storylines.  They were written back in the XFiles heyday and they are not only well written, but filled with involved backstories and conspiracies.  Hell, I even read the novels.  I literally read Bug City in one whole night non-stop since I knew very little of the setting and it freaked me out the more I read. 

Great to see another video game missing an opportunity.  Probably will have as much depth as MEO:LOTRO will have.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #38 on: May 17, 2006, 10:40:15 AM

So how is this different from Tabula Rasa? 
They are totally different except for the fact that both are sci-fi-ish. Tabula Rasa is a twitchy persistent world MMORPG with some FPS elements. Shadowrun is a multiplayer (up to 16 players total) FPS Counter-Strike/single flag CTF game. It has the exact same elements as CS -- short rounds (4 minutes), no respawning during a round, and purchasing of "stuff" at the beginning of the round. As for the CTF aspects I'm assuming its more like a single-flag Team Fortress than traditional 3Wave-style two flag CTF where the flag stays where it drops and doesn't "reset" back to its starting position if the opposing team touches it. However given the short rounds the game is very likely going to play like CS where it's mostly about killing the other side than actually capturing the flag. It's also a dual platform Xbox 360/Windows Vista game which means the Xbox 360 players will need some aiming "cheats" to have any chance of competing with the Vista mouse/keyboarders so I don't know how they are going to balance that properly.

Edit: fixed typos.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #39 on: May 17, 2006, 12:46:52 PM

I wish it was an MMO.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 18, 2006, 01:32:54 PM

I wish it was an MMO.

Me too. On the other hand, it has inspired me to purchase the 4th edition rules, pretend they were in place in 2050, and introduce a few friends of mine to the shadows. No theoretically trolls to make the GM scream. :)

This just...sucks. Of all the things you could do, why a FPS? What's the point?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #41 on: May 18, 2006, 01:41:21 PM

Not just an FPS, but apparently, a CTF only FPS. I can actually understand a single player story and adventure based FPS (with the customary multiplayer elements), but this doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 18, 2006, 01:44:12 PM

Not just an FPS, but apparently, a CTF only FPS. I can actually understand a single player story and adventure based FPS (with the customary multiplayer elements), but this doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

You're kidding. That's not just a PvP mode demo? Damn. What an utter waste of the license. When it crashes and burns, because it's got nothing anyone fucking wants (not the SR fans and I suspect not the FPS fans), I suspect the license will be blamed not the game.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #43 on: May 18, 2006, 01:46:11 PM

Well, that's what the article says at least. Maybe they're still working on the storymode or something.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #44 on: May 18, 2006, 03:34:25 PM

There is a single-player mode but that's for training missions and you can also play CTF with bots.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #45 on: May 19, 2006, 11:04:57 AM

So it's going to be Battlefield: Shadowrun and only on the 360? What is the fucking point?

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #46 on: May 19, 2006, 11:16:03 AM

So it's going to be Battlefield: Shadowrun and only on the 360? What is the fucking point?

Apparently, these guys are saying that Shadowrun is set to be the flagsip shooter for the X-Box. Apparently, they've never heard of Halo.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #47 on: May 19, 2006, 11:55:26 AM

Maybe they are going to render the sweat beads on players' foreheads.  Instant classic.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 19, 2006, 12:11:08 PM

I'm not that troubled that they're not including gobs of backstory.  That's basically what they did with MechAssault ("Okay, you're like, in this army or something, Wolf's Dragoons, only it's not an army, it's like, mercenaries, so I guess someone, I forget who, hired you to like, invade this planet or something OKAY GO DO IT") and that turned out okay, because the gameplay at least kind of resembled the setting.  But teleportation? Hang Gliders?  THESE are the major features of Shadowrun?

How many games have tried to be the next Counterstrike?  And how many have succeeded?  That is not a pretty ratio, there.
Lemming
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 19, 2006, 02:14:30 PM

Is this the first Shadowrun video game since the SNES and Genesis?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #50 on: May 19, 2006, 03:06:15 PM

According to Moby Games there was a Sega CD Shadowrun game in 1996 but then that's been it.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '06  |  Topic: Shadowrun teaser?  
Jump to: